Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would You Like To See An Official My Little Pony Video Game? (For Home Consoles)

OmegaBeamOfficial

On the first point, you've gotta remember, the show itself was made for minor audiences and we still enjoy it.

I like the idea of everypony collaborating together to make a game, but you have to consider how hectic that would get. Not to mention different ponies like different games, so it would be hard to please everyone, not to mention if it really did get that big, Hasbro would file a notice within seconds of noticing It's popularity to cease work on it. I'm beta testing for an MLP game right now, of which the team is of a moderately sized group of people. That's how it should be, we aren't triple AAA developers who can handle having tons of staff, so we shouldn't act like we are.

I'm very indifferent on this. If It's a new story, try to make sure It's a good one and that it stays faithful to the original show. If it uses the show's plot, then maybe change or add some things to give us some new story and plot to experience for ponies who have already seen the show. Though, seeing an animated 3D cel shaded version of the show's story in cutscenes, is something I think would be pretty cool.

Make the minigames relevant to the whole show, not just to certain episodes, this needs to have an appeal for others who haven't watched so that anyone can pick up and play the game without worrying about whether they know about certain things.

I actually like MLP Gameloft, and since it was first released they've really balanced it out in terms of IAP's and stuff like that. One can finish the story (if you can call it that anyway) in a good month or so without spending a dime. I just wish there was more to the gameplay than just waiting around to collect things to buy things to do more waiting around for, but It's the satisfaction of having a thriving town that'll make it all worth it in the end.

Yes, yes, I know that ~ however many games I saw were too much even for me.  :-P

Though the idea is pretty good, yet difficult indeed, that's not what I meant.  :P

I meant, that since the mlp community is so huge, Hasbro could think of making a game, that we could totally enjoy as well.  ^_^

Yeah, that's the first place, where the differences take effect. Many of us would gladly see even the same thing but in game, while others would like to see something new.

That being said, I definitely prefer when game accurately represents the movie and vice versa. I don't even mind having the story spoiled when playing a game after watching a movie and vise versa, but otherwise - I even like when the same stuff happens and it all is accurately connected. There was something I loved in the show? I would love to see that in the game!  :catface:

I don't like when the plot is changed, for whatever reasons... For example Resident Evil. Games had pretty simple plot and gameplay, the movies? Are a total failure for me. They barely are accurate to the games, plus they're just boring and pretty silly.

When the game has a different story than movie (and vice-versa) then most likely it's just random stuff that doesn't make any sense and make me feel sad, that they've break something nice.

But that's just my opinion ~ I know, that everypony has a different approach to this.  :muffins:

What I mean is, that in a proper big game that covers the whole show ~ there could be some extra minigames put in to allow you to interact with the things, that happen in the show.

For example when Rarity is sewing dresses - a minigame where you're helping her I don't know~ organize materials? Like a puzzle game with gems and/or sewing materials - moving them to make them match 3 or more etc. ~ Sew a dress by moving stuff/needle from point A to B etc..

Minigames kinda like in Gameloft's app ~ though actually relevant to story and of course just being a little side-minigame in the game.  :)

Though the game was nice indeed, I don't like Gameloft. But yes, the game was great and only if that would involve more things to do or an actual adventure-like-gameplay, then it would be totally awesome.

If anything I'd be a little worried about the way the gameplay itself would work. An adventure-game is a great start, but... what would you do? Explore the world and solve quests, of course, but what else? Would there be combat? Seeing Hasbro's response to games like "Fighting is Magic", I have a feeling they might not... like the concept very much.

Battles would be totally okay as long as they wouldn't involve gore etc.. Let's not forget, that, ponies are fighting with villains in the show, so the 'battles' exist already. And I'm not sure if I could count Twilight's battle with Tirek as 'Totally Friendly'. The battles don't have to be destructive ~ some colorful spells and cute star particles instead of blood would make the battles friendly enough. x3

Also, Pokemon is a kid show and it focuses mainly on battles and nobody is complaining.  ;)

Everything can be done as long as you know how. In my opinion, Hasbro should make a proper game accurately based on the show. It could be an RPG with tons of cute minigames, it could be a simple 3rd party perspective 3D game, where you'd be walking as Twilight around places and experience the whole plot in the show on your own at your own speed. x3

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, yes, I know that ~ however many games I saw were too much even for me.  :-P

Though the idea is pretty good, yet difficult indeed, that's not what I meant.  :P

I meant, that since the mlp community is so huge, Hasbro could think of making a game, that the we could totally enjoy as well.  ^_^

Yeah, that's the first place, where the differences take effect. Many of us would gladly see even the same thing but in game, while others would like to see something new.

That being said, I definitely prefer when game accurately represents the movie and vice versa. I don't even mind having the story spoiled when playing a game after watching a movie and vise versa, but otherwise - I even like when the same stuff happens and it all is accurately connected. There was something I loved in the show? I would love to see that in the game!  :catface:

I don't like when the plot is changed, for whatever reasons... For example Resident Evil. Games had pretty simple plot and gameplay, the movies? Are a total failure for me. They barely are accurate to the games, plus they're just boring and pretty silly.

When the game has a different story than movie (and vice-versa) then most likely it's just random stuff that doesn't make any sense and make me feel sad, that they've break something nice.

But that's just my opinion ~ I know, that everypony has a different approach to this.  :muffins:

What I mean is, that in a proper big game that covers the whole show ~ there could be some extra minigames put in to allow you to interact with the things, that happen in the show.

For example when Rarity is sewing dresses - a minigame where you're helping her I don't know~ organize materials? Like a puzzle game with gems and/or sewing materials - moving them to make them match 3 or more etc. ~ Sew a dress by moving stuff/needle from point A to B etc..

Minigames kinda like in Gameloft's app ~ though actually relevant to story and of course just being a little side-minigame in the game.  :)

Though the game was nice indeed, I don't like Gameloft. But yes, the game was great and only if that would involve more things to do or an actual adventure-like-gameplay, then it would be totally awesome.

Battles would be totally okay as long as they wouldn't involve gore etc.. Let's not forget, that, ponies are fighting with villains in the show, so the 'battles' exist already. And I'm not sure if I could count Twilight's battle with Tirek as 'Totally Friendly'. The battles don't have to be destructive ~ some colorful spells and cute star particles instead of blood would make the battles friendly enough. x3

Also, Pokemon is a kid show and it focuses mainly on battles and nobody is complaining.  ;)

Everything can be done as long as you know how. In my opinion, Hasbro should make a proper game accurately based on the show. It could be an RPG with tons of cute minigames, it could be a simple 3rd party perspective 3D game, where you'd be walking as Twilight around places and experience the whole plot in the show on your own at your own speed. x3

I get where you're coming from, but there has to be an actual reason for bronies to go through the game story if they already know the plot of the show. If It's exactly the same then at that point they might as well just rewatch the show instead and save themselves 60 dollars. And I think a 3D platformer with beat em up elements would work better than an RPG, but that's just me.

• Brohoof 1

I get where you're coming from, but there has to be an actual reason for bronies to go through the game story if they already know the plot of the show. If It's exactly the same then at that point they might as well just rewatch the show instead and save themselves 60 dollars. And I think a 3D platformer with beat em up elements would work better than an RPG, but that's just me.

An actual reason is the game itself. Playing a game is different than watching the show, so that itself is somehow a reason to check stuff out.

That's true ~ however if some of us can rewatch the show, then playing a game wouldn't be an issue at all at this point.

Yeah~ but these were just examples, so it doesn't matter. x3

Let's not forget, that some games focus mainly on the gameplay ~some of them don't even have a story - just a random guy destroying random stuff. A good example could be some MMO's - they have terrible, extremely boring story or not at all and what's worse - the quests aren't any better, yet people seem to like these games just for gameplay and the ability to play with the others.

Some rogue-like indie games don't have story at all or just a placeholder one, but I still love to play them for entertainment. A decent gameplay is enough to make the game good.

So a nice, though spoiled story is a much smaller issue there - I'd TOTALLY LOVE to play a game with a nice gameplay and even exactly the same story/events as in the show.  :wub:

Most of the time the movies have so many contradictions with games (and vice-versa) and that often leaves me like "What? What is all that stuff? Science has gone too far! D: ". Then, I'm getting confused and automatically disliking that.

However, it also depends on what kind of game we're talking about. An official MLP game, or an official game based on MLP. There's a difference and I've just realized, that we may be not understanding each other, due to this.  :lol:

That being said, I wouldn't have anything against a game with some side-story based on something.

For example let's imagine a game: "My Little Pony: Spike's Quest", where the game would be about our beloved hungry for gems little Dragon, who heard gossips about an extremely rare, shiny (and tasty for him) gem, that lies deep in the magical cave and decides to set for an adventure to find that gem. A simple platformer (?) game, where we'd be collecting (Spike will be probably eating them) gems for score/lives and using his short-range green-fire-breath ability to deal with the enemies.

^ Now that kind of game wouldn't ruin the story with contradictions, as it would be a simple side-story of Spike.

Though speaking of 'the same story' - Gameloft's MLP app uses almost the same plot, doesn't it? I haven't completed that game, but from what I saw it was following the same story and events, though slightly modified for gameplay-purposes. And was the plot the problem in that game? I don't think so ~ the bigger issue were the bugs and other silly things.  :smug:

Also, an interesting, decent-looking pony-game may attract non-bronies as well. (And I know what I'm saying)  ;) ~ and there, their lack of knowledge regarding the source material wouldn't be the barrier.  :smug:

Though of course we all have different opinions, so I respect your point of view. It's not like I disagree with you - you have a good point, but we all are different as the night is from the day and personally, I'd totally love to play a game, where I'd be doing my best to help Twilight get friends, become an alicorn and stuff. and also watch the cutscenes and listen to our lovely pony songs.   :wub:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

An actual reason is the game itself. Playing a game is different than watching the show, so that itself is somehow a reason to check stuff out.

That's true ~ however if some of us can rewatch the show, then playing a game wouldn't be an issue at all at this point.

Yeah~ but these were just examples, so it doesn't matter. x3

Let's not forget, that some games focus mainly on the gameplay ~some of them don't even have a story - just a random guy destroying random stuff. A good example could be some MMO's - they have terrible, extremely boring story or not at all and what's worse - the quests aren't any better, yet people seem to like these games just for gameplay and the ability to play with the others.

Some rogue-like indie games don't have story at all or just a placeholder one, but I still love to play them for entertainment. A decent gameplay is enough to make the game good.

So a nice, though spoiled story is a much smaller issue there - I'd TOTALLY LOVE to play a game with a nice gameplay and even exactly the same story/events as in the show.  :wub:

Most of the time the movies have so many contradictions with games (and vice-versa) and that often leaves me like "What? What is all that stuff? Science has gone too far! D: ". Then, I'm getting confused and automatically disliking that.

However, it also depends on what kind of game we're talking about. An official MLP game, or an official game based on MLP. There's a difference and I've just realized, that we may be not understanding each other, due to this.  :lol:

That being said, I wouldn't have anything against a game with some side-story based on something.

For example let's imagine a game: "My Little Pony: Spike's Quest", where the game would be about our beloved hungry for gems little Dragon, who heard gossips about an extremely rare, shiny (and tasty for him) gem, that lies deep in the magical cave and decides to set for an adventure to find that gem. A simple platformer (?) game, where we'd be collecting (Spike will be probably eating them) gems for score/lives and using his short-range green-fire-breath ability to deal with the enemies.

^ Now that kind of game wouldn't ruin the story with contradictions, as it would be a simple side-story of Spike.

Though speaking of 'the same story' - Gameloft's MLP app uses almost the same plot, doesn't it? I haven't completed that game, but from what I saw it was following the same story and events, though slightly modified for gameplay-purposes. And was the plot the problem in that game? I don't think so ~ the bigger issue were the bugs and other silly things.  :smug:

Also, an interesting, decent-looking pony-game may attract non-bronies as well. (And I know what I'm saying)  ;) ~ and there, their lack of knowledge regarding the source material wouldn't be the barrier.  :smug:

Though of course we all have different opinions, so I respect your point of view. It's not like I disagree with you - you have a good point, but we all are different as the night is from the day and personally, I'd totally love to play a game, where I'd be doing my best to help Twilight get friends, become an alicorn and stuff. and also watch the cutscenes and listen to our lovely pony songs.   :wub:

Fair enough, I get that gameplay needs to come first and I guess as long as the gameplay's good then it shouldn't matter too much if the story's just a play by play of the show. Although, now that I think about it, It'd be pretty hard to get 6 Seasons worth of content onto it, possibly 7 if the show keeps going, unless they would be cheap about it and just sell more "seasons" as DLC. Actually, describing that just gave me an idea. Maybe we could have a Telltale Games style story where you can make choices in the story which will either slightly affect something that wouldn't change the plot at large or maybe decides things for gameplay. For example, maybe there could be a choice when Nightmare Moon attacks to either stealthily sneak around to find your way back to the library without getting detected, or go through a beat em up section where Nightmare Moon chases you and fires magic attacks at you or something. Sorry, I went off on a tangent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there needs to be a big new spectacular story, I'm just saying it needs to be spiced up a little, but not too drastically.

I think I get what you mean here. For example, I watched a movie based on Need For Speed last night. Yes It's game to movie, and not movie to game, but I think it still works for what I'm saying. It was decent, but a main problem was that it had barely anything to do with the source material at all, it felt like a Fast and Furious wannabe.

Not gonna lie, that Spike Quest game idea sounds pretty neat.

No, no, I don't think the plot was a massive problem, but I feel like there should have been more put into it. The story is altered a little TOO much to the point where the game makes no sense in terms of plot. And the quests themselves for plot are ridiculously bland and shallow, and make even less sense. I think a review of the game I saw said it best. "We really need Applejack to come back to Ponyville. Let's plonk a bunch of hay stacks on the ground and see if she returns!"

Whether the game will actually appeal to non bronies Isn't a given, I'm just thinking that if you're putting a game out to the mass market, there aren't too many bronies out there, they're a very niche fanbase. They might want to find a way for it to appeal to the general public, but don't make it too mainstream or streamlined.

It's cool discussing this with you, don't worry about it. It's interesting.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, exactly.  ^_^

Yeah, covering all the 6 or 7 seasons would easily allow to make more than 20 hours of gameplay. To be honest I'm not exactly sure how some episodes would work. The beginnings and finales of the seasons usually have some action in them, so adding gameplay to them would work, however I'm not sure about some of the other episodes ~ besides covering that through events/talking it would be difficult to put some actual gameplay into them. But still, experimenting and altering the story a little could work. For example, adding original enemies here and there could do the thing - or just adding original side-plot/quests, that would focus on gameplay element and would more or less balance things out... I don't know.

Yes, yes, I know what you mean. To not search far, there would be need to add much more action to the story, where the player could actually 'play'.

Mhm, exactly! Though they may be decent, they're not the same anymore... Like with Resident Evil - besides zombies there wasn't much connection between movies and games. Each side had its own way to tell the story, which makes it all inaccurate.

Heh ~ Now when I think about it ~ that could work.  ^_^ Perhaps I'll turn that into a real thing someday?  ;)

Oh yes, indeed. Things weren't making any sense sometimes, though nobody seemed to complain that much anyway. The game was playable and it had/have so much of interest despite these cons.  :smug:

I didn't mean posting the game all over the place and throwing that at everypony's faces to force them to become a brony, but if the features and gameplay would be nice enough, then some of them might give it a try if they would like.  :smug: Personally if I'd find a local coop really decent made game from one of my favorite genres, then I'd totally play the game with my brother and have fun. Yes, it could be even Barbie or whatever ~ as long as it would be really fun to play, then I'd really enjoy playing the game, because I love playing local-coop games with my brother and we don't really care about what the game is as long as it's fun! And who knows - what If I'd be turned into a Barbie fan later? After the experience with MLP nothing can surprise me.  :lol: Speaking of that ~ 'Final Fantasy X-2' was pretty girly and its plot wasn't what I liked, though still I enjoyed the game due to nice RPG elements.  :icwudt:

Oh nice, I like that discussion as well.  :kindness:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

If we want a good MLP video game, we need it to make sure it can appeal to the target audience as well.

PlatinumGames? That would be unlikely. If it was made by Platinum, most of the replayability goes to beating the higher difficulties until there's no more difficulties left to play, and most of the time the higher difficulties are steep in skill level. Imagine this. You are now playing on the hardest difficulty (they might call it Celestia or Chaos or whatever), the enemies are fast, and you can't use Harmony TIme at all, which means if your not careful they can wreck you in 4 to 6 hits! I've seen ideas like this before, where PlatinumGames made MLP games, which is unlikely.

Telltale, might be a good contender. Sure, they make point-and-click games, they make Minecraft Story Mode. A MLP game that plays like Minecraft Story Mode can be interesting.

Maybe something like a puzzle-adventure or an adventure game might be nice, maybe it would be called Adventure of Harmony, or something like that.

• Brohoof 1

YES! ALL OF MY YES! I think the best type of game to utilize the vast world of Equestria would be to go the traditional Japanese turn-based RPG route (something like Final Fantasy). The story could be broken up into 2 sections:

• Beginning: Celestia and Luna fighting Discord and Sombra. Eventually leading up to Luna's transformation into Nightmare Moon and the ensuing battle causing Celestia to force her into exile on the moon for 1000 years. These sequences can serve as the tutorial for the game.
  • Present: Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 discovering the elements of Harmony and battling the major villains we see throughout the series: Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis, Sombra, Tirek, and Starlight.

Each pony would have different skills and attributes.

1. Twilight would be your black mage class. She would focus on physical magic. She is initially a lot weaker than her friends as a Unicorn, but would surpass them once she became an Alicorn.
  2. Rainbow Dash is your thief/rogue class. Quick and agile, but has low HP and defense. Her abilities would revolve around her flight and natural agility.
  3. AJ is your tank/knight. Very slow, but has high HP and physical attack. 
  4. Fluttershy is your white mage class. She would focus on healing magic and summoning.
  5. Pinkie Pie is your bard/support class. She helps the party by boosting their stats through song! She can also dish out heavy damage as well. I consider her a glass cannon.
  6. Rarity is similar to Twilight in that they both use magic to attack. However, whereas Twi relies on tomes and ancient scrolls, Rarity relies on Gemstones and the like as her means of attack.

I'll probably go more in depth sometime in the future when I have some more free time. If a game like this were to ever come out, my life would be complete  :sunbutt:.

• Brohoof 3

Yep, exactly.  ^_^

Yeah, covering all the 6 or 7 seasons would easily allow to make more than 20 hours of gameplay. To be honest I'm not exactly sure how some episodes would work. The beginnings and finales of the seasons usually have some action in them, so adding gameplay to them would work, however I'm not sure about some of the other episodes ~ besides covering that through events/talking it would be difficult to put some actual gameplay into them. But still, experimenting and altering the story a little could work. For example, adding original enemies here and there could do the thing - or just adding original side-plot/quests, that would focus on gameplay element and would more or less balance things out... I don't know.

Yes, yes, I know what you mean. To not search far, there would be need to add much more action to the story, where the player could actually 'play'.

Mhm, exactly! Though they may be decent, they're not the same anymore... Like with Resident Evil - besides zombies there wasn't much connection between movies and games. Each side had its own way to tell the story, which makes it all inaccurate.

Heh ~ Now when I think about it ~ that could work.  ^_^ Perhaps I'll turn that into a real thing someday?  ;)

Oh yes, indeed. Things weren't making any sense sometimes, though nobody seemed to complain that much anyway. The game was playable and it had/have so much of interest despite these cons.  :smug:

I didn't mean posting the game all over the place and throwing that at everypony's faces to force them to become a brony, but if the features and gameplay would be nice enough, then some of them might give it a try if they would like.  :smug: Personally if I'd find a local coop really decent made game from one of my favorite genres, then I'd totally play the game with my brother and have fun. Yes, it could be even Barbie or whatever ~ as long as it would be really fun to play, then I'd really enjoy playing the game, because I love playing local-coop games with my brother and we don't really care about what the game is as long as it's fun! And who knows - what If I'd be turned into a Barbie fan later? After the experience with MLP nothing can surprise me.  :lol: Speaking of that ~ 'Final Fantasy X-2' was pretty girly and its plot wasn't what I liked, though still I enjoyed the game due to nice RPG elements.  :icwudt:

Oh nice, I like that discussion as well.  :kindness:

OK, well, that's all good. I don't really have anything else to say XD

• Brohoof 1

@@Chuckles4lyfe, Yep! A cute RPG is what could work there! :3 

*gasp :-o * I didn't think of that - that could be a nice place to introduce player to the mechanics.

The beginning could go like this:

The game starts just like the show ~ a quick story explaining stuff.

BUT when it gets to that point:

NhTWVfK.png

Then just before that part we're taking the control of Princess Celestia to battle against the Nightmare moon, where in the end, we're using a spell to banish her to the moon ~ as we're about to do that ~ the game gets back to that cutscene/story where it continues.

The battle would be pretty easy and stuff just to get introduced to the very basic mechanics and give player the point of what the gameplay is about.

And the whole quest of Twilight and her friends getting the elements of harmony to defeat Nightmare Moon could serve as a prologue. (Timberwolves as first enemies and such ~ getting slowly introduced to the details of the mechanics)

Though I have no idea if that would work well.  :-P

As for the rest - Yup, exactly! That's almost exactly like my approach to this.  :idea:

@@OmegaBeamOfficial, *giggles* Okay then! :D  :catface:  

• Brohoof 2

Hopefully the good MLP fans are making won't be ceased and desisted. I wonder how many other games asists Fighting is Magic got that.

I hope they don't go like this:

"Dear MLP: Avengers of Harmony Community.

We are sorry to announce the owner of this community will soon be sued until he deletes this community and cancels the Avengers of Harmony project. If he does not meet this request, full action will be taken. This group and subsequently it's video game are infringing on not franchise, but our My Little Pony trademark.

We would like to note a few things:

1. Simply changing the look will not protect you, as you will be still be infringing on our franchise.
  2. Making a private community will not protect you, as we have requested Google+ to have access to them, which we now have.
  3. Changing the name will not protect you, as you will not only be infringing on our franchise but you will still be using our copyrighted content."

I hope the new MLP fangames won't be ceased and desist. Not to mention bronies already made some good games. There's War of Harmony IV, an Elements of Harmony RPG, all sorts of games.

If we want a good MLP video game, we need it to make sure it can appeal to the target audience as well.

PlatinumGames? That would be unlikely. If it was made by Platinum, most of the replayability goes to beating the higher difficulties until there's no more difficulties left to play, and most of the time the higher difficulties are steep in skill level. Imagine this. You are now playing on the hardest difficulty (they might call it Celestia or Chaos or whatever), the enemies are fast, and you can't use Harmony TIme at all, which means if your not careful they can wreck you in 4 to 6 hits! I've seen ideas like this before, where PlatinumGames made MLP games, which is unlikely.

Telltale, might be a good contender. Sure, they make point-and-click games, they make Minecraft Story Mode. A MLP game that plays like Minecraft Story Mode can be interesting.

Maybe something like a puzzle-adventure or an adventure game might be nice, maybe it would be called Adventure of Harmony, or something like that.

Well, yeah, that's kind of what I figured it would be like. It makes sense doesn't it? If you beat a game on a lower difficulty you might wanna challenge yourself and go for a harder mode, which adds replayability to the game. What I'm saying is having different difficulties in games Isn't a problem, in fact I encourage it for an MLP game. It needs to have multiple difficulties because if they only do one they'll probably make it way too easy. I think if a game was to be made, this is what I'd want the difficulty to be like: Foal Mode, Filly Mode, Mare Mode, Harmony Mode and Princess Mode (Each representing Super Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, and Super Hard respectively). And PlatinumGames have made games based on kids franchises before, like Transformers and Star Fox, so I don't see why they wouldn't consider a My Little Pony game. It's just a thought though.

Telltale DOES sound interesting, but I think they're even less likely than you think PlatinumGames are to pick up the licence. I'm not gonna go into what the story and choices would be like, because if I know Telltale they make quality games, and I have complete trust in them if they were to make a game out of it, because I feel like they know what they're doing. Going back to whether they would or not, yes, they made Minecraft Story Mode but Minecraft is nowhere near a kid exclusive game, you'll find plenty of teens and adults playing it on places like YouTube, so you can't really say it was a kids game. However, Telltale has also made games like The Walking Dead and Tales From The Borderlands, which are mature games I don't think Hasbro want their franchise to be associated with.

There are actually plenty of Pony puzzle games online, yes they are made crudely in flash but I don't think a puzzle game would work out anyway, the closest we have to puzzle's in this series is MMMystery on the friendship express, and that was one episode. And I'll gladly take an adventure game as long as It's done right.

YES! ALL OF MY YES! I think the best type of game to utilize the vast world of Equestria would be to go the traditional Japanese turn-based RPG route (something like Final Fantasy). The story could be broken up into 2 sections:

• Beginning: Celestia and Luna fighting Discord and Sombra. Eventually leading up to Luna's transformation into Nightmare Moon and the ensuing battle causing Celestia to force her into exile on the moon for 1000 years. These sequences can serve as the tutorial for the game.
  • Present: Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 discovering the elements of Harmony and battling the major villains we see throughout the series: Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis, Sombra, Tirek, and Starlight.

Each pony would have different skills and attributes.

1. Twilight would be your black mage class. She would focus on physical magic. She is initially a lot weaker than her friends as a Unicorn, but would surpass them once she became an Alicorn.
  2. Rainbow Dash is your thief/rogue class. Quick and agile, but has low HP and defense. Her abilities would revolve around her flight and natural agility.
  3. AJ is your tank/knight. Very slow, but has high HP and physical attack. 
  4. Fluttershy is your white mage class. She would focus on healing magic and summoning.
  5. Pinkie Pie is your bard/support class. She helps the party by boosting their stats through song! She can also dish out heavy damage as well. I consider her a glass cannon.
  6. Rarity is similar to Twilight in that they both use magic to attack. However, whereas Twi relies on tomes and ancient scrolls, Rarity relies on Gemstones and the like as her means of attack.

I'll probably go more in depth sometime in the future when I have some more free time. If a game like this were to ever come out, my life would be complete  :sunbutt:.

I like the idea, but this is all stuff you can find in regular RPG's. Unless there's maybe some more originality thrown into the system it could feel like an actual MLP game rather than a regular RPG with a coat of MLP paint. I like the idea of seeing the events leading up to Celestia sealing NM in the moon, however I think It's a little too chaotic for tutorial material. Maybe a scene in Canterlot where Twilight is studying the controls via a book she's reading would be more effective.

@@Chuckles4lyfe, Yep! A cute RPG is what could work there! :3 

*gasp :-o * I didn't think of that - that could be a nice place to introduce player to the mechanics.

The beginning could go like this:

The game starts just like the show ~ a quick story explaining stuff.

BUT when it gets to that point:

sig-4666405.NhTWVfK.png

Then just before that part we're taking the control of Princess Celestia to battle against the Nightmare moon, where in the end, we're using a spell to banish her to the moon ~ as we're about to do that ~ the game gets back to that cutscene/story where it continues.

The battle would be pretty easy and stuff just to get introduced to the very basic mechanics and give player the point of what the gameplay is about.

And the whole quest of Twilight and her friends getting the elements of harmony to defeat Nightmare Moon could serve as a prologue. (Timberwolves as first enemies and such ~ getting slowly introduced to the details of the mechanics)

Though I have no idea if that would work well.  :-P

As for the rest - Yup, exactly! That's almost exactly like my approach to this.  :idea:

@@OmegaBeamOfficial, *giggles* Okay then! :D  :catface:  

Oh, actually you might be onto something. I don't think the Nightmare Moon and Celestia battle is good tutorial material, but I'd like to see it in game at least, if it ended up being based on the show story.

• Brohoof 2

A MLP game is free money for Hasbro. It's a no brainner. I have seen good ideas here. An RPG is a good idea. Also a simple 3D platformer, which could appeal to younger players. Just run around, smash crates, collect coins. Each pony has her own abilities that can be upgraded. It doesn't have to be fancy, I just want to play as licensed characters. Making a big, epic game would be awesome though.

Probabaly 3 or 4 good game ideas that they could make.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, god forbid that people actually face the consequences of breaking copyright laws. 

It's not breaking copyright laws unless they're trying to make money off of it. If they're just making fan content and just putting out there for free, that's not illegal. Going by the same logic, this site would have been taken down by now.

A MLP game is free money for Hasbro. It's a no brainner. I have seen good ideas here. An RPG is a good idea. Also a simple 3D platformer, which could appeal to younger players. Just run around, smash crates, collect coins. Each pony has her own abilities that can be upgraded. It doesn't have to be fancy, I just want to play as licensed characters. Making a big, epic game would be awesome though.

Probabaly 3 or 4 good game ideas that they could make.

Well it depends if It'll be a success enough in the market to make more money than they spend on it. I don't know about you, but I don't see My Little Pony becoming one of the top selling games of the year, especially with the reputation of licensed video games. That platformer idea sounds a lot like Crash Bandicoot but with upgradable abilities, which sounds good in my book.

Actually, it doesn't matter if you make money of it or not. As long as you're still using copyrighted character or terms, you're breaking copyright law. 

Well, to be honest, I think Hasbro should let it slide for once. If they don't have any interest in creating a game that's fine, but at least let the fans do it if Hasbro won't. Great MLP games have been made by fans like MLI and Fighting Is Magic, Hasbro has no benefit from keeping those things from existing. If anything the fan games only help spread the word about the franchise.

Let's think about a list of developers.

I remember Webfoot. Webfoot was a developer that made two G3 MLP video games, a Tonka game, a Korra game.

Yeah, copyright. Have you ever heard of HoverAnimation? It's about a Google+ community that had like hundreds of members until an mod secretly allowed the CEO of GoAnimate (copyright holders) to give a order post stating that they are infringing on their patent and copyrighted content.

Platinum? Yeah, if Platinum were to make a MLP game, it will end up being played by bronies more than the target audience. Journalists would go like "Is Platinum trying to impress bronies?" Cause the game they might make would be a little girls version of DmC Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, cause ponies would have an awesomeness meter of their combat, and maybe their own Harmony Bursts.

Guardians of Harmony, might get like a card tactical RPG. That would be cool.

Remember the Puzzle Party game that hasn't been released? Somebody said that it's basically Candy Crush meets My Little Pony? What's next? MLP getting it's own RPG where you form a squad of 5 units, that evolve from 1 star to 6 star. That could be interesting.

Asides, they need to find friendly developers, because if the developers had made some M-rated games you might expect them to slip references to those games which might confuse the audience but adults would know that.

I wonder how many friendly developers are capable of making a MLP video game that can be easily made for the target audience.

Edited by Morklin
  • Brohoof 1

Let's think about a list of developers.

I remember Webfoot. Webfoot was a developer that made two G3 MLP video games, a Tonka game, a Korra game.

Yeah, copyright. Have you ever heard of HoverAnimation? It's about a Google+ community that had like hundreds of members until an mod secretly allowed the CEO of GoAnimate (copyright holders) to give a order post stating that they are infringing on their patent and copyrighted content.

Platinum? Yeah, if Platinum were to make a MLP game, it will end up being played by bronies more than the target audience. Journalists would go like "Is Platinum trying to impress bronies?" Cause the game they might make would be a little girls version of DmC Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, cause ponies would have an awesomeness meter of their combat, and maybe their own Harmony Bursts.

Guardians of Harmony, might get like a card tactical RPG. That would be cool.

Remember the Puzzle Party game that hasn't been released? Somebody said that it's basically Candy Crush meets My Little Pony? What's next? MLP getting it's own RPG where you form a squad of 5 units, that evolve from 1 star to 6 star. That could be interesting.

Asides, they need to find friendly developers, because if the developers had made some M-rated games you might expect them to slip references to those games which might confuse the audience but adults would know that.

I wonder how many friendly developers are capable of making a MLP video game that can be easily made for the target audience.

I haven't played them myself, however I hear the Webfoot games have a bad reputation.

Well, that really sucks for HoverAnimation. They have my condolences.

I don't see a problem with that. Just like how we are unexpected watchers of the show, how do we know there aren't any kids out there who like DMC/Bayonetta style games. And this is exactly why I was talking about having different difficulty settings before, so It's accessible to all players. They can make a game that appeals to both the kids and bronies alike, they've done it before with other franchises, I don't see why they can't do it. I'm of course open to other developers though, don't get me wrong.

Guardians Of what now?

Oh god no, not a Candy Crush rip off! And an RPG sounds like a good idea, there's been a lot of thinking of what the game would be like in this forum.

Developers know better than to make reference to adult content in kids shows, however I think having the game associated with anyone who's made mature games before would immediately be a turn off for Hasbro, as I discussed with the Telltale Games thing.

When you say the target audience, who are you even referring to? Since bronies popped up, things have been a real game changer. Yes, kids may still be the main focus for Hasbro because of the merchandise and what not but now they also have a large group of teens and adults to appeal to as well. It's not easy, for sure, but finding a middle ground can help with that, heck, even if It's two different modes in the game or something.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial

Webfoot has a library of garbage games and two surprisingly good DBZ games, unless they can muster up the talent they had with Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury, I wouldn't exactly be excited to see them at the helm.

As for Platinum, Transformers shows that they are able to do a great job with a license, but Korra and TMNT also shows that it can go south real quick, but that depends on how much freedom/budget they can have and who's directing it(TMNT and Korra was directed by the same guy while TF:D was directed by the guy behind MGR, which would explain why it didn't suffer the same fate)

As for the target audience, considering what games usually aimed at them are like it wouldn't hurt to give them a game that actually feels like a game ;)

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but looking at that post, I don't see anything that benefits Hasbro, I'm just seeing poor excuses for why it shouldn't exist. Now it's true I might be a little Butthurt that it's not a thing anymore, so take my word as you will, but again, going by the same logic this site shouldn't exist.

No hard feelings towards you by the way, I'm just saying it how I see it.

Webfoot has a library of garbage games and two surprisingly good DBZ games, unless they can muster up the talent they had with Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury, I wouldn't exactly be excited to see them at the helm.

As for Platinum, Transformers shows that they are able to do a great job with a license, but Korra and TMNT also shows that it can go south real quick, but that depends on how much freedom/budget they can have and who's directing it(TMNT and Korra was directed by the same guy while TF:D was directed by the guy behind MGR, which would explain why it didn't suffer the same fate)

As for the target audience, considering what games usually aimed at them are like it wouldn't hurt to give them a game that actually feels like a game ;)

I'm glad I'm lucky enough to not have played Korra or TMNT, from what I hear they bombed.

Totally agree.

I'm sorry, but looking at that post, I don't see anything that benefits Hasbro

And while it's true that not defending a trademark won't cost Hasbro its control over any of the ponies depicted in Fighting is Magic or the MLP franchise as a whole, this implicit license would absolutely change the landscape of their business. Competitors who notice something like this can and will point to it in court as a precedent of permission for derivative works, which harms the value of the franchise. Additionally, it limits Hasbro's ability to seek damages in the event of a truly harmful infringement, dropping their ability to seek damages down from the total value of the MLP franchise down to merely the incurred damages from the infringement itself - a difference of many many millions of dollars, and a significantly weaker deterrent against any malicious attempts at using Hasbro trademark and trade dress. This in turn violates Hasbro's duty to its shareholders, as they are no longer operating in the company's best financial interests, opening them up to lawsuits from their public owners. It's not a thing they can afford to let happen.

And that's not even mentioning the fact that a fan game could harm Hasbros image.

• Brohoof 2

And that's not even mentioning the fact that a fan game could harm Hasbros image.

1 - What competitor is ever going to notice this?

2 - A truly harmful infringement is extremely unlikely

3 - Not really a question, but malicious attempts my ass!

4 - How is a fan game harming the franchise's image? I can understand if It's a badly made game but Fighting Is Magic looked decent at least. Fan games are a good thing. The only people I can see getting offended by this is overprotective parents who think children seeing anything as much as a slap in the face from cartoon media will "poison their minds and make them violent"

5 - If this is "such a big problem" then why aren't tons of other fan games that are still around not being dealt with? There's no way they can't have noticed them by now, in fact, I'm starting to think Hasbro might have destroyed the game due to the previously mentioned overprotective parents problem.

Sorry to be such a stubborn mule about this, but I feel strongly about it. Fans of any franchise, whether It's My Little Pony or anything else, the fandom should have the right to express their love for the franchise however they wish, that includes fan games.

Actually, you're wrong. Forums such as these does fall under fair use.

OK, fair enough with that.

1 - What competitor is ever going to notice this?
One with an internet connection and eyes. 

2 - A truly harmful infringement is extremely unlikely
Maybe, but it's still possible.

3 - Not really a question, but malicious attempts my ass!
What do you mean by this? It didn't say that fan project are malicious attempts, it said that allowing Friendship is magic could lead to lawsuit working less as a deterrent to malicious attempts.

How is a fan game harming the franchise's image?
Well, if it contains blood or gore or any other adult theme then people will associate the franchise with those themes. Perhaps this wasn't the case with Fighting is magic, but still. 

If this is "such a big problem" then why aren't tons of other fan games that are still around not being dealt with?
Presumably because they're not big enough to take seriously. 

Fans of any franchise, whether It's My Little Pony or anything else, the fandom should have the right to express their love for the franchise however they wish, that includes fan games.
They can express their love for the franchise without breaking copyright law. If Hasbro has to follow the copyright law  then we must also follow it. 
  • Brohoof 1