Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would You Like To See An Official My Little Pony Video Game? (For Home Consoles)

OmegaBeamOfficial

I don't know about you, but I really wish My Little Pony had It's own official video game, and not one like the mobile Gameloft Farmville clone, I mean a full, triple a, video game for consoles and possibly PC. Now, obviously we know TV and Movie licensed games have a REALLY bad reputation, and for good reason, but there is the odd decent or even great ones (Spider-man 2 and South Park: The Stick Of Truth for example). Here are some ideas I've thought of for what I'd imagine my dream MLP game to be like:

- If I had to choose someone to develop it, I'd probably pick PlatinumGames. They aren't my favourite developer or anything, but I think they'd be really suitable to make a game like that, considering what kind of games they've developed in the past and have done well with other Hasbro franchises too. It'd just go really well with my vision. With that in mind, I'd want the graphics to have a cel-shaded art style, similar to that of one of their other games, Transformers Devastation.

- Have it be an exploration based game with action, destructible environments and different tasks only certain races can perform. (So, have Applejack kick down trees to bridge pathways, or Rarity use her magic to pull levers out of her reach. Make all of the Mane 6 playable with other side and background ponies available as support characters. Give every character a skill tree with gems as upgrade points, and scatter bits all around the map, which can be traded in at stores for power-ups. Make iconic areas from the show playable, like the Everfree Forest and Canterlot, with Ponyville being your main hub to prepare yourself for levels.

- For music, include remixes of songs from the show along with new additions.

- As for story, come up with an original story for the game, make it entertaining with a decent arc throughout and It's all good. Provide voice acting from all the cast of the show.

This is just me daydreaming though. This is never gonna happen, and those weren't even all of my ideas, just the ones I think are most important. What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 5

Honestly, six seasons in, three EG movies with another on the way, and one official theatrical release due next year, I'm surprised there hasn't already been a console release for FiM, yet. I'd expect it to be something like an open world 3D platformer with puzzle elements and various missions you can get from various ponies and non-pony characters. Take a similar idea from the Gameloft Mobile game and have element shards as collectibles (like coins in Mario), stuff like that. It could be a very successful game, if they really tried it.

Extra idea: Use those element shards to be able to unlock other members of the mane six and other playable pony characters. Each of the mane six have their own set missions to fit their individual storylines and such.

Edited by Fallen Stars
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly, six seasons in, three EG movies with another on the way, and one official theatrical release due next year, I'm surprised there hasn't already been a console release for FiM, yet. I'd expect it to be something like an open world 3D platformer with puzzle elements and various missions you can get from various ponies and non-pony characters. Take a similar idea from the Gameloft Mobile game and have element shards as collectibles (like coins in Mario), stuff like that. It could be a very successful game, if they really tried it.

Extra idea: Use those element shards to be able to unlock other members of the mane six and other playable pony characters. Each of the mane six have their own set missions to fit their individual storylines and such.

Oh yeah, they could have some kind of quest system. That'd be awesome. I'm just imagining what a Discord quest would be like. Also, I'd rather they have all of the Mane 6 playable from the start, but have shards for other characters. The individual stories thing sounds neat too.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!

With the right people behind that game, it could be an exception to the stigma that plagues licensed games. Sure, a cute spinoff racing game would be fun, but a platformer or RPG would be more awesome. One of the first games I ever played was a SpongeBob Squarepants 3D platformer called Battle for Bikini Bottom that gained a nice cult following because it was a licensed game done right.  You don't even need to watch the show to enjoy it, but it has so much of the show's charm in it that it is especially rewarding to the fans.

If a developer could capture that kind of magic in a FIM game, I would be very pleased.

• Brohoof 3

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!

With the right people behind that game, it could be an exception to the stigma that plagues licensed games. Sure, a cute spinoff racing game would be fun, but a platformer or RPG would be more awesome. One of the first games I ever played was a SpongeBob Squarepants 3D platformer called Battle for Bikini Bottom that gained a nice cult following because it was a licensed game done right.  You don't even need to watch the show to enjoy it, but it has so much of the show's charm in it that it is especially rewarding to the fans.

If a developer could capture that kind of magic in a FIM game, I would be very pleased.

I used to love that Spongebob game when I was younger, it was really well made, and I still remember it today. Thanks for the nostalgia trip, that was probably one of my firsts as well. It's a shame the company who made it went under, but if they can make a Spongebob game appealing they can sure as hell make an MLP game just as great.

• Brohoof 1

I'd actually be completely fine if there wasn't an MLP:FIM game.

Perhaps this is just the game reviewer in me talking, but from past experiences, I don't know how they'd be able to make it work. Perhaps making it visual novel style but even that seems a little like a stretch. It'll really have to depend on the developer and the publisher, but to be completely frank, I don't want to review a bad MLP game.   

Especially not in a way that'd appeal to  gamers as well as Bronies. I know a lot of gamers are bronies, but at the same time, would they really be able to make their money back for a game like this? 

• Brohoof 1

I think all they would have to do is make a good platformer for FiM and that is a sure-fire success. Sure, there are other genres they could experiment with, but they could start with a 2D platformer. I long for the day we something like that on consoles for this franchise.

• Brohoof 3

If they ever did make a video game, I'd want a least one playable character of each race. (Gilda for Griffons, Chrysalis for Changelings, etc.)

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. Having other non pony characters would be fresh, and could play differently to keep them unique.I see Gilda working, but not Chrysalis. I imagine they'd use Chrysalis as a boss fight instead.

I'd love to see a story-centric game without combat options.

something that really feels like the show, rather than feeling like they reskinned another game

• Brohoof 3

I'd actually be completely fine if there wasn't an MLP:FIM game.

Perhaps this is just the game reviewer in me talking, but from past experiences, I don't know how they'd be able to make it work. Perhaps making it visual novel style but even that seems a little like a stretch. It'll really have to depend on the developer and the publisher, but to be completely frank, I don't want to review a bad MLP game.   

Especially not in a way that'd appeal to  gamers as well as Bronies. I know a lot of gamers are bronies, but at the same time, would they really be able to make their money back for a game like this?

I know it could be disappointing, yes, but it's not really supposed to be for all gamers, it would be aimed at fans of the show.

I think all they would have to do is make a good platformer for FiM and that is a sure-fire success. Sure, there are other genres they could experiment with, but they could start with a 2D platformer. I long for the day we something like that on consoles for this franchise.

A 2d platformer style game sounds cool, maybe a Rainbow Dash sonic style game.

I'd love to see a story-centric game without combat options.

something that really feels like the show, rather than feeling like they reskinned another game

Well, MLP isn't exactly known for its grand storytelling, I feel like there should be more to it than story, I feel like maybe an episodic series would be your kind of thing I guess.

Maybe. If done right. I don't know how it would work exactly, I'm not an expert. But I could picture a game based on the FiM universe, at least.

What initially comes to mind is an open-world RPG, but I reiterate, there are probably loads of better options. I feel like if were to have a main story arc, M. A. Larson would be the guy to go to.

Something tells me if he had his way writing a story for a video game, he would knock it out of the ballpark. Oh well...

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, they could have some kind of quest system. That'd be awesome. I'm just imagining what a Discord quest would be like. Also, I'd rather they have all of the Mane 6 playable from the start, but have shards for other characters. The individual stories thing sounds neat too.

I'm actually thinking a Discord map would be something like a Psychonauts level, lol.

• Brohoof 1

I know it could be disappointing, yes, but it's not really supposed to be for all gamers, it would be aimed at fans of the show.

Yeah, but they'd have to be able to make their money back from using the liscence, paying the voice actors, the employees and actually developing the game itself. Sure, people will buy it but it may not be enough to recup the losses. 

Sorry if I'm being a negative nancy about all this, but I talk to developers all the time that have this exact issue and they're not even  using a liscened property. 

this... this needs to be a thing.

Pure genius... We get a pony style sims game and haters can remove the ladders and let ponies drown in the swimming pool. Everypony wins!

Maybe. If done right. I don't know how it would work exactly, I'm not an expert. But I could picture a game based on the FiM universe, at least.

What initially comes to mind is an open-world RPG, but I reiterate, there are probably loads of better options. I feel like if were to have a main story arc, M. A. Larson would be the guy to go to.

Something tells me if he had his way writing a story for a video game, he would knock it out of the ballpark. Oh well...

I don't think RPG elements would work too well, but definitely get a professional storywriter, because why not?

Yeah, but they'd have to be able to make their money back from using the liscence, paying the voice actors, the employees and actually developing the game itself. Sure, people will buy it but it may not be enough to recup the losses. 

Sorry if I'm being a negative nancy about all this, but I talk to developers all the time that have this exact issue and they're not even  using a liscened property.

Don't worry about it, I get what you mean. There could be disastrous consequences.

I'm actually thinking a Discord map would be something like a Psychonauts level, lol.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a trailer for Psychonauts once, looks pretty trippy

• Brohoof 4

It could be like one of the Lego-based games.

Except, you know, without Legos.

So, basically like Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinite? Be it for Nintendo most likely and have each pony be unlockable through in-game missions and exploration or through Amiibos?

• Brohoof 1

So, basically like Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinite? Be it for Nintendo most likely and have each pony be unlockable through in-game missions and exploration or through Amiibos?

Or like the DC and Marvel ones, where you can unlock pretty much all the heroes and villains and explore sandbox areas.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Official? Sorry, no. Knowing Hasbro's history of video games, it probably wouldn't be that good. Maybe if they took ideas from the fandom, maybe... 

If they were smart enough and hired someone like Bethesda to make it for them (yes it'd take several years, if it were Bethesda), they could make something good out of it.

@@A.V.,

I can see a sandbox game working out for an official MLP game, actually.  

• Brohoof 2

This would be awesome! I've been hoping for a mlp game for years! Especially if it was something like a mmorpg. So far, the only one I've found is "Legends of Equestria". It's awesome, but still in development, so the servers are only up every few months. It says on the website that they'll start to fully open it in December. I can't wait!

• Brohoof 1

This would be awesome! I've been hoping for a mlp game for years! Especially if it was something like a mmorpg. So far, the only one I've found is "Legends of Equestria". It's awesome, but still in development, so the servers are only up every few months. It says on the website that they'll start to fully open it in December. I can't wait!

That's fun to know! I'm on there, too, but I haven't seen that yet, lol. I hope they get it going strong soon. Hope they fix the issue with the unicorns by then, too, lol.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. Having other non pony characters would be fresh, and could play differently to keep them unique.I see Gilda working, but not Chrysalis. I imagine they'd use Chrysalis as a boss fight instead.

Maybe they could have something like a multiplayer battle mode with more characters to play as. You could unlock the character under certain conditions.

Edited by Brianna Changeling
  • Brohoof 1