Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler S6 EP21 "Every Little Thing She Does" Teaser

PoisonClaw

Oh boy; this should be fun. I really have to wonder what triggers this out of her; though.

• Brohoof 1

What are you doing Starlight!?  :sunbutt: Why are you mind controlling your friends? THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME... uh... Daring, you love you but what you did in the teaser will give your haters more ammunitions... oh well, better bring your Kevlar, it wiill come in handy.  :orly:

Why didnt she use that spell in season 5, it would be awesome?  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:

Ehem... Seriously, I just hope it would be the great episode, please, Big Jim, BLESS THIS EP.

So with cult brainwashing out the window, this happens?! Okay, let's see how deep of a hole Starlight digs herself in before Twilight comes in to fix the mess. May she have mercy on her soul!

Edited by EQ_Theta
  • Brohoof 1

Wow....just....

Don't even know where to begin.  :okiedokieloki:

I've always condemned Twilight for exerting her magic over her friends. But at least she's never gone as far as to mind control them like this.

I do not give a damn about context, because anything short of this simply being a dream sequence is not going to be good enough to justify this. I've said before that it didn't really seem that Starlight was a friend to the mane five, and that she was only an exclusive friend of Twilight and Spike. With this action, every single preconceived notion of Starlight being a friend towards the mane five has been shattered. If she were their friend, she would not feel the need to do this to them. 

And you know, it's also really striking to me that she's doing this so unapologetically, as though, like when she forced Big Mac to speak in No Second Prances, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Starlight's metal disorders are clearly still a problem, and clearly need to be addressed. But why do I get the feeling that the episode is still going to try to paint a sympathy angle on Starlight, and at the end, this action isn't going to be held against her in the way it should be?

And this is the character who's stealing the focus in the finale, which is coming up soon? This psychopath is the character who I'm supposedly supposed to be rooting for? 

I have to say, this really just makes me want Starlight gone. Enough with focus on her clearly-poorly-handled "reformation." I genuinely want her to leave the show. 

• Brohoof 4

Wow....just....

Don't even know where to begin. :okiedokieloki:

I've always condemned Twilight for exerting her magic over her friends. But at least she's never gone as far as to mind control them like this.

I do not give a damn about context, because anything short of this simply being a dream sequence is not going to be good enough to justify this. I've said before that it didn't really seem that Starlight was a friend to the mane five, and that she was only an exclusive friend of Twilight and Spike. With this action, every single preconceived notion of Starlight being a friend towards the mane five has been shattered. If she were their friend, she would not feel the need to do this to them.

So when a villain is reformed, they should never do anything questionable ever again and become pure and clean good guys? How does that make any sense?

Why don't you give a damn about context? You have no idea what it's going to be. What if the mane 5 allowed Starlight to control their minds? We can't know. Complaining would be perfectly fine if the episode had already aired, but it hasn't.

And you know, it's also really striking to me that she's doing this so unapologetically, as though, like when she forced Big Mac to speak in No Second Prances, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Starlight's metal disorders are clearly still a problem, and clearly need to be addressed. But why do I get the feeling that the episode is still going to try to paint a sympathy angle on Starlight, and at the end, this action isn't going to be held against her in the way it should be?

Forgiveness is one of the central themes of the show and those who dislike Starlight keep saying that she should've been punished. Why should redeemable characters be punished in this show? Why do people keep demanding that?

This episode will probably deal with Starlight's mental disorders, just like Lesson Zero did with Twilight's.

If Starlight, at the end, understands that what she did was wrong and apologizes, why shouldn't she be forgiven? Why can't there be sympathy towards her?

And this is the character who's stealing the focus in the finale, which is coming up soon? This psychopath is the character who I'm supposedly supposed to be rooting for?

I have to say, this really just makes me want Starlight gone. Enough with focus on her clearly-poorly-handled "reformation." I genuinely want her to leave the show.

She'll be gone after the finale, I bet, so don't worry too much about that. And the finale itself might be her final redemption and the ending of her development arc where she saves the day and fully leaves behind her past, becoming a morally good character who isn't a psychopath. We don't know yet if that'll happen, but it would make sense.

---

I never understand why people complain about episodes before they even air.

Edited by Professional Horse
  • Brohoof 1

You can talk all you want about the moral applications of this episode.

Starlight is best hypnopone.

10/10

• Brohoof 1

Im apparently alone in liking the fact that Starlight does these things still, still has that edge in her. It's what makes me consider her superior to Sunset, her personality is more clearly defined and frankly former villains should sometimes ACT like they spent years of their lives doing bad. Like I like Rainbow Rocks but I always felt that RR and FG Sunset Shimmer kinda feels like a completely different character than EQG Sunset Shimmer, that hasn't been the case with Starlight. 

• Brohoof 3

I never understand why people complain about episodes before they even air.

THIS TEASER gives them enough ammunitions, now they are ready to shoot at Starlight at any moment, any seconds, even before this ep airs, they are ready because they've hated her already, and this teaser just didnt help  :orly: . Her action in this ep is really questionable, even Discord didnt have a guts to do that. This is a situation where Starlight makes a sudden move, they will open fire, and this character will be torn to shreads. I think you understand my metaphor.  :orly:

Maybe somehow writer can pull it off, make this situation where she mind control her friends is somewhat... justified enough, then Starlight may dodge all the "bullets" like an badass or else... this will leave for your imagination.

READY FOR THE DRAMA

Edited by Lambdadelta

We don't yet know the context of this scene. Perhaps the ReMane 5 saw Starlight struggling and offered to help her out. Then she told them she wants to try a new spell to help make friends so they volunteered to be guinea pigs? Probably OOC for RD and Fluttershy but who knows how it was explained or what led up to this?

A part of me just wants this to be a completely misguided attempt on Starlight's part, though...

I noticed Spike wasn't there. Are dragons immune to the effects of magical hypnosis, perhaps? (He'd better be in the episode, though - it's been a dry spell for him since "Dungeons and Discords". =(  )

Edited by Truffles

Now we gotta see if that is false character development. She needs to have a very good reason to this. A reason that abrogates the rule "Don't magically manipulate ponies to get what you want.".

I hope for something like this in the season finale. Where Starlight becomes corrupted and turns against the Mane Six, with the plan to send them to Tartarus, where in the end, when she is about to, has doubt about her plan but then sends them all there and with that the season ends. And then season 7 starts with Starlight going to rescue them.

So when a villain is reformed, they should never do anything questionable ever again and become pure and clean good guys? How does that make any sense? Why don't you give a damn about context? You have no idea what it's going to be. What if the mane 5 allowed Starlight to control their minds? We can't know. Complaining would be perfectly fine if the episode had already aired, but it hasn't.

I'm someone who takes ethics very seriously. So when I see blatant mind-controlling, I get more than a bit up in arms. And I especially get up in arms when I happen to like the characters who are being mind controlled. 

I feel that I can disregard context because I simply don't think that whatever reason the episode is going to possibly give as to why this is even remotely acceptable is not going to be good enough. Unless Starlight is doing this to save their lives in some weird sort of way, or as you said, the mane five gave her consent (but I sincerely doubt that), it's just not going to fly with me. 

But fair enough, I shall wait until to find out exactly why Starlight does this, as well as why she doesn't deserve to be locked up after this. 

Why should redeemable characters be punished in this show? Why do people keep demanding that?

Starlight has done more than enough that is worthy of punishment. Yet all she's ever received is a slap on the wrist, and her clearly unstable and unfit-for-society mind as been able to to stay out of the mental institution it so deserves to be in. 

The question I ask is why have Starlight's blatantly obvious mental disorders been shoved under the rug? I'd be fully supportive of her being redeemed, just as long as she first undergoes a couple hundred hours of mental therapy to understand that using your magic to control or manipulate others to suit your own desires IS UNETHICAL AND WRONG. 

And yet, despite being "reformed" and spending plenty of time as Twilight's student, Starlight not only doesn't understand this, she has no concept of it whatsoever. And this is the character who's going to be the hero of the finale? This is the character I'm supposed to be cheering on and supporting as opposed to our main characters?  :dry:

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 4

Just two questions

1) If Starlight knew this spell why didn't she use it in "Our Town"?

2)WHY THE FUCK DID THE MANE 6 LET THIS SOCIOPATH GET AWAY SCOTT FREE?!?

when starlight was being written by larson she wasn't that powerful and relied on a single OP spell.

Once haber took over, he basically said "Fuck that" and hooked her power level up to a nuclear power plant.

so basically she wasn't written in her introduction to be this god mode character but was later retconned into being broly if he was a unicorn.

On that note: not looking forward to this episode >.<

• Brohoof 2

Who's writing this episode? Because this isn't really doing Starlight any favors. S6 has had a really hard time to get the change a lot of haters minds about Starlight and get people to care, especially since we're supposed to root for her in the finale. This sort of thing is literally the last thing she needs

She finally interacts with the remane 5 and it's too...mind control them

This is looking like a worse version of Lesson Zero

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

I'm someone who takes ethics very seriously. So when I see blatant mind-controlling, I get more than a bit up in arms. And I especially get up in arms when I happen to like the characters who are being mind controlled.

I feel that I can disregard context because I simply don't think that whatever reason the episode is going to possibly give as to why this is even remotely acceptable is not going to be good enough. Unless Starlight is doing this to save their lives in some weird sort of way, or as you said, the mane five gave her consent (but I sincerely doubt that), it's just not going to fly with me.

But fair enough, I shall wait until to find out exactly why Starlight does this, as well as why she doesn't deserve to be locked up after this.

Just want to say that I also doubt that the mane 5 gave her consent. Doesn't seem like they did.

I really, really want to like Starlight because I like some of her traits but dammit, the writers make it difficult.

Starlight has done more than enough that is worthy of punishment. Yet all she's ever received is a slap on the wrist, and her clearly unstable and unfit-for-society mind as been able to to stay out of the mental institution it so deserves to be in.

The question I ask is why have Starlight's blatantly obvious mental disorders been shoved under the rug?

Let's be honest, Pinkie should've also been thrown into a mental asylum a long time ago and it's not like Twilight is the most mentally stable pony out there. This show has a history of having slightly insane characters in the spotlight :D

Edited by Professional Horse
  • Brohoof 1

I really, really want to like Starlight because I like some of her traits but dammit, the writers make it difficult.

Hey, I totally feel you.

I would have much rather wanted Starlight to have more episodes to develop her as a character rather than receiving some of the more pointless episodes we've gotten this season (e.g. The Cart Before the Ponies and 28 Pranks Later). 

Even if this episode does focus on her mental disorders, it doesn't change the fact that Starlight has not had nearly enough positive interaction with the mane five to justify her becoming a mane seventh, assuming that's what will happen in the finale. And even regardless of Starlight's reasoning for doing this, I don't see any reason as to why the mane five would even want to be her friend after this episode. 

It's just a testament to how poor the writing direction has been this season. 

• Brohoof 1

She most likely did it, but this clip offers no evidence that Starlight cast the spell on them. She seems puzzled, and then realizes she needs to trigger them. maybe she found them this way.

Who knows?

It always bothers me when people want to judge a whole episode by a a single out of context 30 clip.