Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Any Sonic Fans? How Do You Feel About How The Internet Treats The Series?

OmegaBeamOfficial

There was an MLP forum thread asking what fandoms some ponies most dislike, and one of the most common answers was the Sonic fandom. So sad.

c7282d0fed34559adf2e65dd77bfbcfe-d31e308

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 2

There was an MLP forum thread asking what fandoms some ponies most dislike, and one of the most common answers was the Sonic fandom. So sad.

It's not surprising given how the Sonic fandom has been very vocal towards other fandoms and has been at odds with itself over the direction the franchise has been going in.

• Brohoof 3

sig-4713001.c7282d0fed34559adf2e65dd77bf

Well, that's what happens...

It's not surprising given how the Sonic fandom has been very vocal towards other fandoms and has been at odds with itself over the direction the franchise has been going in.

Well, what fandom ISN'T vocal to other fandoms?

• Brohoof 2

I see your point. It's just that some are worse than others.

True, that's all good. There are worse out there though...

I'm a huge Sonic Fan! Love that franchise as much as MLP! In fact, Sonic is one of the reasons why I love MLP!

Really? How so? Sounds cool.

• Brohoof 3

To be fair I'd rather not mention them at the sake of offending anyone involved with the fandom.

Maybe you could mention to me in a private message instead.

• Brohoof 1

Have you ever read the Archie comics? What are your opinions on those?

I'm afraid I've never read them, but I have seen the SatAM show which takes place in the same universe. I think the Archie universe was awesome, it took an unexpected turn and decided to make a darker, more substantial cartoon, and not in the Shadow The Hedgehog way, I mean in the good way. The characters are really memorable, the plots are decent, and It's real shame it only got cancelled after 2 seasons. Obviously I don't know if the comics are exactly like that, and they'll have changed massively as I know they've sort of moved on from the SatAM stuff and are now using the modern designs and whatnot.

@OmegaBeamOfficial

sig-4714194.bf97320a6c6ebc9e43c7d9611ad9

sig-4714194.sonic_birthday_card.jpg

Have a great one!

Awwww, that's so sweet, thanks.

• Brohoof 2

True, that's all good. There are worse out there though...

Really? How so? Sounds cool.

Sonic characters sort of remind me of MLP characters in a way for starters. Plus, when I started writing fan fiction,it was a Sonic x MLP EQG crossover, which fueled my interest in both fandoms.

Edited by ShadowSJG
  • Brohoof 2

I'm afraid I've never read them, but I have seen the SatAM show which takes place in the same universe. I think the Archie universe was awesome, it took an unexpected turn and decided to make a darker, more substantial cartoon, and not in the Shadow The Hedgehog way, I mean in the good way. The characters are really memorable, the plots are decent, and It's real shame it only got cancelled after 2 seasons. Obviously I don't know if the comics are exactly like that, and they'll have changed massively as I know they've sort of moved on from the SatAM stuff and are now using the modern designs and whatnot.

Things were going fine until three years ago when the comic underwent a massive reboot that retconned everything by removing certain characters and events, changing other characters and events, and creating new things. Archie Comics didn't really want to go through with the reboot and even claimed that it wasn't, but fans knew that Sega demanded them to fix the mess because of being dragged into a lawsuit.

• Brohoof 2

Things were going fine until three years ago when the comic underwent a massive reboot that retconned everything by removing certain characters and events, changing other characters and events, and creating new things. Archie Comics didn't really want to go through with the reboot and even claimed that it wasn't, but fans knew that Sega demanded them to fix the mess because of being dragged into a lawsuit.

I did hear about that reboot. It sucks that SEGA will sometimes do something stupid without regard for the fanbase or anybody who might be creating content for them.

• Brohoof 2

I did hear about that reboot. It sucks that SEGA will sometimes do something stupid without regard for the fanbase or anybody who might be creating content for them.

You can also blame Ken Penders for what happened.

• Brohoof 2

I know! The reboot left so many plot points unsatisfied and we lost great characters like Scourge!

• Brohoof 1

You can also blame Ken Penders for what happened.

True, he's the one who created those SatAM characters right? I can't believe he kicked up such a fuss over Archie using the same characters they've been using in those comics SINCE 1993! Besides, It's not like he was losing anything with them being there.

I know! The reboot left so many plot points unsatisfied and we lost great characters like Scourge!

It's part of Sega's mandate regarding the comic. Comic exclusive characters cannot be related to or be involved in a relationship with the official characters, there can only be one of every character, the word Mobius can't be used as the name of Sonic's world, and there are some other conditions Archie Comics must abide by now.

True, he's the one who created those SatAM characters right? I can't believe he kicked up such a fuss over Archie using the same characters they've been using in those comics SINCE 1993! Besides, It's not like he was losing anything with them being there.

He created the Echidna characters along with a number of other characters including Jeffrey St. John, Sally's mother, Elias Acorn and his family, and the majority of the Wolf Pack Tribe just to name a few. Under the reboot, these characters never existed and you wouldn't believe what happened with Issue 244 of the comic.

• Brohoof 2

It's part of Sega's mandate regarding the comic. Comic exclusive characters cannot be related to or be involved in a relationship with the official characters, there can only be one of every character, the word Mobius can't be used as the name of Sonic's world, and there are some other conditions Archie Comics must abide by now.

He created the Echidna characters along with a number of other characters including Jeffrey St. John, Sally's mother, Elias Acorn and his family, and the majority of the Wolf Pack Tribe just to name a few. Under the reboot, these characters never existed and you wouldn't believe what happened with Issue 244 of the comic.

Well, I have to give them credit, I'd rather have them come up with whatever different timeline excuse they were using I heard about, instead of just starting from Issue 1 again. It keeps the flow going.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I have to give them credit, I'd rather have them come up with whatever different timeline excuse they were using I heard about, instead of just starting from Issue 1 again. It keeps the flow going.

The timeline is still there although heavily altered to reflect the reboot and it all happened during the events of World's Collide.

• Brohoof 1

The timeline is still there although heavily altered to reflect the reboot and it all happened during the events of World's Collide.

Yeah, that Sonic & Mega Man crossover right? Anyway, I still think the reboot was a bad idea and they should have just negotiated with Ken Penders to keep using the characters.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, that Sonic & Mega Man crossover right? Anyway, I still think the reboot was a bad idea and they should have just negotiated with Ken Penders to keep using the characters.

That's why they went to court yet the judge ultimately sided with Penders--he also wasn't particularly interested in the case. Issue 244 is referred to as one of the most controversial issues in the comic as they effectively "killed" off the Echidnas off-screen by having them banished to another dimension. This also included Julie-Su and Saffron Bee because of their romantic connections with Knuckles and Charmy respectively.

Other Penders characters were referred to indiscreetly and never appeared between Issues 244 and 251 before the reboot in 252. For example, Elias was referred to as "the true king" instead of by name.

• Brohoof 2