Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Any Sonic Fans? How Do You Feel About How The Internet Treats The Series?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Yeah, that Sonic & Mega Man crossover right? Anyway, I still think the reboot was a bad idea and they should have just negotiated with Ken Penders to keep using the characters.

Speaking of crossovers, I heard from a Youtube dialogue that the Sonic fandom was the big thing with crossovers, before MLP:FIM existed. Is that true? 

• Brohoof 1

So let me get this straight: the comics removed every trace of what made them more interesting than the games and cartoons both in story and world? The comics have always had the best in both regards imo. I haven't kept up with the comics in years but I dunno if I even want to if they've taken out everything that made me love it as a separate entity from the games. Yuck.

• Brohoof 3

So let me get this straight: the comics removed every trace of what made them more interesting than the games and cartoons both in story and world? The comics have always had the best in both regards imo. I haven't kept up with the comics in years but I dunno if I even want to if they've taken out everything that made me love it as a separate entity from the games. Yuck.

They had to get rid of stuff like that because of a mandate from Sega resulting from the legal court battle Archie comics had with Ken Penders several years ago. Anything he didn't create is still there although altered in some cases to reflect the changes, but anything he created is gone and the reboot implied that his contributions never existed.

• Brohoof 1

That's why they went to court yet the judge ultimately sided with Penders--he also wasn't particularly interested in the case. Issue 244 is referred to as one of the most controversial issues in the comic as they effectively "killed" off the Echidnas off-screen by having them banished to another dimension. This also included Julie-Su and Saffron Bee because of their romantic connections with Knuckles and Charmy respectively.

Other Penders characters were referred to indiscreetly and never appeared between Issues 244 and 251 before the reboot in 252. For example, Elias was referred to as "the true king" instead of by name.

Oh for the love of Mobius, they really did screw up this time... And what's with the judge in this case? I can respect his decision but you say he wasn't interested in the case. It doesn't matter if you're dealing with a lawsuit or a murder, every court case should be taken seriously and given a fair trial.

Speaking of crossovers, I heard from a Youtube dialogue that the Sonic fandom was the big thing with crossovers, before MLP:FIM existed. Is that true? 

Not necessarily, but having roamed YouTube a lot as a kid, I have seen quite a lot of Sonic crossovers in my time, even after FIM's rise to popularity because there are actually Sonic and FIM crossover's out there, I know it sounds bad to most people, but I think it works surprisingly well. But to better answer your question, I think Sonic crossovers were never THE big thing, but they are or were A big thing, if that makes sense.

They had to get rid of stuff like that because of a mandate from Sega resulting from the legal court battle Archie comics had with Ken Penders several years ago. Anything he didn't create is still there although altered in some cases to reflect the changes, but anything he created is gone and the reboot implied that his contributions never existed.

I know right, that whole situation is disgusting!

• Brohoof 3

Oh for the love of Mobius, they really did screw up this time... And what's with the judge in this case? I can respect his decision but you say he wasn't interested in the case. It doesn't matter if you're dealing with a lawsuit or a murder, every court case should be taken seriously and given a fair trial.

I know right, that whole situation is disgusting!

The controversial story arc was called "Endangered Species" and it was originally going to write off the remaining Echidnas at the end of it from what I heard, but then that idea got scrapped after the first part and the remaining three parts were something completely different. I doubt it will ever be reprinted because of how controversial it was. But, on the off-chance that it would, they'd probably only reprint parts two through four since the first part contains Penders' characters.

Because of what happened, certain storylines and character's fates will forever remain unresolved.

• Brohoof 2

To be fair they were using TAS which is kinda cheating, so...

Still, I'm impressed by how they found those shortcuts. 

By the way:

wallpaper___sonic_and_shadow__halloween_

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 2

Growing up, I was a Mario / Nintendo fan first and a Sonic / Sega fan...  Not at all, really.  But I got the chance to play a little Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Adventure, and I more or less liked those two games.  Time went by, the Dreamcast didn't pan out (despite being an impressive console at the time), and I eventually saw Sonic games come to Nintendo systems.  I played Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on Gamecube, and that is still my favorite Sonic title.  Although I never cared for Sonic himself, I began to empathize with longtime Sonic fans who weren't consistently getting quality additions to the franchise.  I enjoyed Sonic: Lost World; I really did.  I've also heard good things about Sonic Colors.

And then Sonic Boom happened.

I kind of consider anything following that disaster to exist in a post-apocalyptic era for Sonic and his fans.  There were some good games that even a stubborn Mario fan like myself could appreciate, there was evidence that the new games were being handled by people who gave a damn, and then there was this terrible slap in the face that no franchise-fan should have to endure.

• Brohoof 3

Growing up, I was a Mario / Nintendo fan first and a Sonic / Sega fan...  Not at all, really.  But I got the chance to play a little Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Adventure, and I more or less liked those two games.  Time went by, the Dreamcast didn't pan out (despite being an impressive console at the time), and I eventually saw Sonic games come to Nintendo systems.  I played Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on Gamecube, and that is still my favorite Sonic title.  Although I never cared for Sonic himself, I began to empathize with longtime Sonic fans who weren't consistently getting quality additions to the franchise.  I enjoyed Sonic: Lost World; I really did.  I've also heard good things about Sonic Colors.

And then Sonic Boom happened.

I kind of consider anything following that disaster to exist in a post-apocalyptic era for Sonic and his fans.  There were some good games that even a stubborn Mario fan like myself could appreciate, there was evidence that the new games were being handled by people who gave a damn, and then there was this terrible slap in the face that no franchise-fan should have to endure.

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if Sonic games were released with the same consistent level of quality as Mario games are, but one can only dream I guess. However, I don't think Sonic is "doomed" as you seem to imply. See, Sonic Boom did happen, but now we're getting two new games in the future which seem at least on Generations levels of quality. I'm so excited for Sonic Mania, I pre-ordered the collector's edition the day after they started selling it in my country. Besides, Sonic 06 was worse than Sonic Boom (I think anyway), and the series still held up after that...

• Brohoof 3

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if Sonic games were released with the same consistent level of quality as Mario games are, but one can only dream I guess. However, I don't think Sonic is "doomed" as you seem to imply. See, Sonic Boom did happen, but now we're getting two new games in the future which seem at least on Generations levels of quality. I'm so excited for Sonic Mania, I pre-ordered the collector's edition the day after they started selling it in my country. Besides, Sonic 06 was worse than Sonic Boom (I think anyway), and the series still held up after that...

Sonic Team's and to an extent, Sega's, problem is that they keep on changing the Sonic formula every few games rather than attempt to tweak what they currently have until it's as close to perfect as they can make it. They need to have consistency and not rely on gimmicks that go against what the franchise stands for, and they really do need to work on the camera issues.

• Brohoof 2

Sonic Team's and to an extent, Sega's, problem is that they keep on changing the Sonic formula every few games rather than attempt to tweak what they currently have until it's as close to perfect as they can make it. They need to have consistency and not rely on gimmicks that go against what the franchise stands for, and they really do need to work on the camera issues.

That is true. Franchises like Zelda and Mario are doing well because they don't change too much.

• Brohoof 2

I know, that's a little of what I'm leaning towards hoping for too, but sadly, I'm realising that SEGA appealing to appealing to everyone is almost impossible, with everyone divided over the kind of game they want.

Some people want more classic games...

Some people want more Adventure style games...

Some people want another Heroes style game...

Some even want a Shadow style game...

Some want to see the Unleashed night time gameplay return...

Some people want more boost games...

Some people want more games like Lost World...

Are you seeing the problem here? And that's the main games alone!

That is true. Franchises like Zelda and Mario are doing well because they don't change too much.

Also keep in mind that when they DO change, It's usually just a one time thing or It's just taking the core gameplay and implementing a new mechanic.

• Brohoof 2

A bunch of old farts desperate for the Sonic 4 and Sonic 5 are finally getting what they want at the expense of good modern sonic, which sucks.

Have we all forgotten about Project Sonic 2017? We're not losing Modern Sonic any time soon. Besides, they did try making a Sonic 4 before, and it just came out mediocre. Generations did Classic Sonic a lot better, and I feel like Mania will too.

And sometimes that can prove to be just as detrimental. By choosing to remain stagnant and not wanting to try new ideas, the only ones who will remain enthralled by both franchises are the hardcore fans, but even they have their limits.

I know, that's a little of what I'm leaning towards hoping for too, but sadly, I'm realising that SEGA appealing to appealing to everyone is almost impossible, with everyone divided over the kind of game they want.

Some people want more classic games...

Some people want more Adventure style games...

Some people want another Heroes style game...

Some even want a Shadow style game...

Some want to see the Unleashed night time gameplay return...

Some people want more boost games...

Some people want more games like Lost World...

Are you seeing the problem here? And that's the main games alone!

The Sonic fans just can't be satisfied can they?

• Brohoof 1

Be honest, are we in any position to say that too? XD

No, we are not. The brony fandom is just as bad as the Sonic fandom when it comes to being satisfied.

• Brohoof 4

And sometimes that can prove to be just as detrimental. By choosing to remain stagnant and not wanting to try new ideas, the only ones who will remain enthralled by both franchises are the hardcore fans, but even they have their limits.

The Sonic fans just can't be satisfied can they?

Be honest, are we in any position to say that too? XD

No, we are not. The brony fandom is just as bad as the Sonic fandom when it comes to being satisfied.

I think the message was a bit misunderstood. I'm not saying the Sonic fans are bad for wanting different things, It's just that SEGA has effectively handicapped themselves to the point where no game can really please everybody, I don't blame us fans for being mad. I mean, say for example, I played Resident Evil 6 and didn't like it because it wasn't like the older Resident Evil games (Just a hypothetical, I've never played RE and I actually like third person shooters), would you really be able to blame me for being disappointed?

• Brohoof 2

I think the message was a bit misunderstood. I'm not saying the Sonic fans are bad for wanting different things, It's just that SEGA has effectively handicapped themselves to the point where no game can really please everybody, I don't blame us fans for being mad. I mean, say for example, I played Resident Evil 6 and didn't like it because it wasn't like the older Resident Evil games (Just a hypothetical, I've never played RE and I actually like third person shooters), would you really be able to blame me for being disappointed?

Nostalgia is what people want to experience when it comes to old franchises that have been around for years. Video game companies attempt to recreate this feeling only to wind up with mixed results from the fans.

• Brohoof 3

Nostalgia is what people want to experience when it comes to old franchises that have been around for years. Video game companies attempt to recreate this feeling only to wind up with mixed results from the fans.

Yes, but of course there will be mixed results. I'm hoping people judge Sonic Mania based on how the actual game holds up on It's own instead of how close it feels to the classics. I'm also sick of people complaining about there being more remastered stages than new ones, I mean Green Hill Zone is like a remastered Sonic 1, that's as close to classic as they can get.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but of course there will be mixed results. I'm hoping people judge Sonic Mania based on how the actual game holds up on It's own instead of how close it feels to the classics. I'm also sick of people complaining about there being more remastered stages than new ones, I mean Green Hill Zone is like a remastered Sonic 1, that's as close to classic as they can get.

There will always be those who pine for the classics and refuse to acknowledge the newer games.

• Brohoof 1