Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I personally Don't Like Rarity(would like to debate peacefully)

Tilgoreth

Firstly I'm not attacking Rarity fans. I have no problem with them. I'm not even attacking Rarity. I just don't like her as a character.

Also I don't remember very single episode she was in. So yes I might not mention all of what she's done. Keep in mind some of the things I will say about her aren't even negative. They more just describe what or who she is.

Well let's start with where it all began. Sonic Rainboom. In this episode Rainbow Dash is asked to perform another Sonic Rainboom. She's nervous about being able to pull it off. Yes Rarity was the one who initially noticed Rainbow Dash feeling anxious. But that means nothing considering what happens in the rest of the episode.

Rarity gets a nice shiny pair of butterfly wings. She flaunts them all around Cloudsdale. Despite the fact that all this attention on Rarity just makes Rainbow feel even more inadequate. Rarity doesn't stop. Despite the fact that Rainbow Dash is so very clearly freaking out. Rarity is completely dismissive of her friends feelings.

So strike number one Rarity. Let's see what's next? Oh yes Sweet and Elite. Or maybe not. Whatever episode she sings her song about popularity. In this episode Rarity goes to Canterlot for her job. But back in Ponyville Twilight' s birthday is in a couple of days. Eventually Fancy Pants takes notice of Rarity. Enamored she follows him to all of the big city events.

She neglects the reason why she initially came there. Not to mention she didn't even work on the dress she was making for Twilight. Eventually she decides to blow off Twilight' s party. But guess what? Twilight was generous enough to come to Canterlot. Because she didn't want to celebrate her birthday without one of her friends.

Rarity STILL goes to the other party Fancy Pants was throwing. And of course Twilight and the rest all wander out in to this party. Fancy Pants turns out to be a cool guy and Rarity defends her friends. All's well that ends well right? NO.

Rarity blew off her friends. She never told them. She never got in trouble. She never even apologized. Rarity felt absolutely no remorse for blowing off her friends. Strike two Rarity.

And finally we come to the inevitable climax of my rant. Applejack' s Day Off. In this episode Rarity wants to go to the spa with Applejack. She ants Applejack to completely stop whatever she is doing. Even though she is doing her JOB!

Sorry Rarity not everyone can get a cushy life like you! Applejack is a farmer! She has to do her job in order to provide for her family. She can't just drop what she's doing on a whim. Also keep in mind that Applejack still showed up eventually. Unlike Rarity she didn't blow her friends off.

So strike three Rarity. Your out!

Now I know that might have come across as hostile. That wasn't the point. Listen there are some aspects of Rarity I do like. I like her artistry and her integrity as an artist. I find those aspects of her personality very interesting. Unfortunately they rarely explore those aspects.

The aspects of her personality they explore most are the ones relating to her generosity. Which I don't find very intriguing. Also there have been Rarity episodes I've enjoyed. All the ones about her artistry. The Pinkie Pie ones. And Inspiration Manifestation. But I mostly liked that one because of Spike.

Well that's all I have to say. I'm not putting anybody down because they like Rarity. Also I am more than Open to debate.

• Brohoof 3

I don't really like Rarity that much either. But for one thing, she did need more appearance time in Season 6 because Season 5 wasn't her season. First off, she didn't have any major roles in Season 5 until halfway, then declined in appearance time again later into that season, which is why she had to dominate Season 6.

But I assure you, this certainly won't happen again in Season 7.

• Brohoof 1

"Cushy job"? Rarity runs her own business, finds her own gems, makes her own dresses, does her own PR work, and she does all that without the assistance of a single other family member to help her. AJ works hard, but she has support. Rarity goes it alone, and does it well. What part of that is "cushy"? As I see it, Rarity is the hardest working of the bunch.

If you don't like Rarity, hey, go ahead. There's no law that says you have to like Rarity. But taking 170 or so episodes into account, can you justify singling Rarity out for a "three strike" system? Why don't you apply that standard to the rest of the Mane Six? Go make 5 threads, one for each of them, and then we'll talk. Trust me, I could bring up a few faux pas courtesy of any other Mane Six pony you care to name.

• Brohoof 15

Rarity is one of the hardest working ponies in the main six. Plus everypony has their own flaws. Rarity's is fear of being Un noticed, so three strikes? No, just ONE. And that's all you've talked about. Plus, just because Applejack is a farmer, doesn't mean she has to have a hard time all the time. Rarity felt SORRY for Applejack so she made her relax. So Rarity was trying to help. Not disturb. :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 8

From what I can tell, you seem to be focusing on Rarity's flaws in specific episodes, while you do seem to ignore that she acknowledged and apologized for those flaws by the end of the selfsame episode. She realizes she was hogging the spotlight at Sonic Rainboom. She realizes {even though Twilight didn't} that she neglected her friend's present in favor for attention in Sweet and Elite, likewise risking her newfound popularity in favor of standing up for her friends. And as for Applejack's Day Off, the initial setup is to drag her friend away from work before she breaks down, while ensuring that somepony else is there to take over that workload, which I, frankly, consider to be an act of compassion rather than selfishness.

As others have pointed out, while Rarity does not engage in as much physical labor as Applejack, that's balanced out by designing, detail work and social effort. She is a self-made mare, what we've seen of her parents, they seem to be run-of-the-mill middle class ponies, which implies her business was built from the ground up. She also has a younger sister to take care of, and even in such an early episode like Suited for Success, fitting the element of generosity, she put in a great deal of time and effort into making dresses for her friends, even ignoring her own better judgement in favor of their wishes.

These are some of my reasons why I consider Rarity the most admirable of the mane six ponies. 

• Brohoof 8

if we are in Season 1-3 era, i will be with you  :orly:. However, Rarity character improved significantly after her absense in S3, and now i never complain how she just appear in too many episodes in S6 because she is the 3rd mane character i want to see the most, and listen to  :sunbutt:. You can dislike any character you want, no one can stop you but i hope it wont affect your enjoyment of any future Rarity featuring episodes, and your judgement as well.

• Brohoof 4

i dont find sunny fox's post to be hostile... and if you think a post is hostile, dont attack back.. :wat:

didnt rarity explain and apologize to her friends in sweet and elite? (is been awhile since i seen it) but... in applejack's day off im pretty sure rarity was well aware that applejack had a large workload and wanted a day for her to escape that and relax for a day. heck, even an hour... i guess she didnt realize applejack had that much work that wasnt needed in the first place. (i guess that was the lesson of the episode?) and rarity (and also twilight) helped her to reduce that work that was extra... i dont find that negative... (if anything she couldnt have helped applejack with that at all...) i find that, like others say compassion... and to be fair, she did say she has been trying for moons. rarity and applejack are like, 2 of the most hard working ponies in the mane six too, even though applejack has much more physical work, rarity designs dresses, and she owns 3 boutiques... so im guessing she needs to design and manage those from time to time. rarity doesnt have a "cushy" life. :P

• Brohoof 5

I'm surprised to you didn't use Rarity's behavior in Spice Up Your Life or Cart Before The Ponies

She keeps getting caught up in current trends and tramples over other ponies without a care in the world until she's beaten over the head with the moral of the story for the Nth time in the series

Much like how Dash never learns to curb her ego, Rarity's characterization inches forward glacially

At least she's not as bad as Twilight, who's flat-out regressed worse than Starlight during "Every Little Thing She Does"

• Brohoof 2

i dont find sunny fox's post to be hostile... and if you think a post is hostile, dont attack back.. :wat:

didnt rarity explain and apologize to her friends in sweet and elite? (is been awhile since i seen it) but... in applejack's day off im pretty sure rarity was well aware that applejack had a large workload and wanted a day for her to escape that and relax for a day. heck, even an hour... i guess she didnt realize applejack had that much work that wasnt needed in the first place. (i guess that was the lesson of the episode?) and rarity (and also twilight) helped her to reduce that work that was extra... i dont find that negative... (if anything she couldnt have helped applejack with that at all...) i find that, like others say compassion... and to be fair, she did say she has been trying for moons. rarity and applejack are like, 2 of the most hard working ponies in the mane six too, even though applejack has much more physical work, rarity designs dresses, and she owns 3 boutiques... so im guessing she needs to design and manage those from time to time. rarity doesnt have a "cushy" life. :P

I was being sarcastic in my reply to Dunn Fox. Also I don't disagree with what you said. I don't hate Rarity. I mostly find her uninteresting.

I'm surprised to you didn't use Rarity's behavior in Spice Up Your Life or Cart Before The Ponies

She keeps getting caught up in current trends and tramples over other ponies without a care in the world until she's beaten over the head with the moral of the story for the Nth time in the series

Much like how Dash never learns to curb her ego, Rarity's characterization inches forward glacially

At least she's not as bad as Twilight, who's flat-out regressed worse than Starlight during "Every Little Thing She Does"

Rarity wasn't trying to stomp on that restraints individuality. She just understood that in order to survive you have to follow the trends. Rarity if any of the main characters is the most supportive of creativity. And arguably Rarity has just as big a ego as Rainbow Dash. But Rainbow Dash' s go comes more from her own insecurities. While Rarity' s is mostly selfish.

I think Rarity is pretty good. She's not perfect, but she learns from her mistakes and strives to be a good pony. I also feel like it's a little unfair to strike her out on such few things and so early in the series. She, like all the Mane 6(except Fluttershy, I dunno why they keep toying with her character) have shown great character development over the years. She's really become the Element of Generosity. 

• Brohoof 2

At the end of Applejack's Day Off it was revealed most of Applejack's work was extremely inefficient, and once removed, still got the job done right and a lot quicker, so actually that is completely ruled out as something bad Rarity has done, because she wasn't actually wasting Applejack's time. Applejack was wasting Applejack's time. She wasn't even trying to sabotage Applejack, just let her have some much needed rest from the overwhelming workload she had.

• Brohoof 3

I love how everyone on here is saying Rarity and Apple Jack are the most hardworking people out of the main six, when in all truth, they're not. Sure they have hard jobs, but those hard jobs are just like any other pony in the main six.

Couldn't you argue that Twilight has the hardest job out of the bunch since she has to make diplomatic decisions and has to teach two students, one which she doesn't exactly have exact access to, not to mention since she basically became the super mayor of Ponyville she has to make sure businesses stay in business and she has to manage a library by herself along with having to make enough money to provide for herself and Spike.

Could you also argue that Fluttershy has the hardest job of them all as she basically owns a pet clinic and being a veterinarian at that clinic and if she doesn't know something about a disease or a new species has been discovered she has to make enough money to completely update all her books on a specific subject, such as her books about what types of animals and creatures they have in their world, and the fact that she has to supply for all the pets in her house/clinic and if she's trying to do surgery on an animal if she makes one mistake she could potentially kill the animal and she also has to singlehandedly organize events such as the pet adoption event in Filli Vanilli.

That's just a few examples I'll post or edit more in but my battery is dying.

• Brohoof 3

Personally I love Rarity and aspire to be like her but she does have her flaws which have been pointed out but arguably all the ponies have there flaws which is what makes the show interesting and although sometimes Rarity is rather self centered she does try to overcome that like all the other ponies and there flaws and in lots of the episodes she is often helping other ponies like in one of my favourite episodes "Rarity investigates!" or generously giving to others like in "suited for success" and frankly I find her very interesting and I actually document some of the things she says about fashion (I want to be a fashion designer as well) and she has taught me a lot.

• Brohoof 2

Firstly Your post seems hostile. In the safe space(can't contain laughter) that is mlp forums I feel this is inappropriate. Remember we are all liberal teenagers looking to fit in.(sarcasm). Anyways I'll name you some ponies. Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Spike. Boom! I bet you can't find anything negative about those characters! (Sarcasm)' Also I never said I hate Rarity. I merely dislike her. But very time I say that Rarity fans dog pile me. As if Rarity is the holy mother of all bronydom. (Sarcasm). But go ahead name the negative traits of the characters I mentioned. I bet I can name some positive ones as well. And maybe some spaghetti logic. What is spaghetti logic? I don't know go ask meatball.

I'm not being hostile. :) Just like you're not attacking Rarity with this thread. I'm merely pointing out that you're not considering any of the other ponies in the same light that you're using on Rarity. I merely ask for some consistency. And really, what did you expect to happen when you made this thread? Her fans are just meant to ignore you and not point out why they think you're wrong in your assessment? I point out that you saying Rarity has a "cushy job" is factually inaccurate. If you want a debate, debate. Don't hide behind sarcasm. Anyone can do sarcasm. Arguing a point is harder.

(List of faux pas - not complete by any means)
Rainbow Dash
Ticket Master - Refuses to help Applejack collect apples because she wanted to nap instead - Strike One. (Yay! Loyalty - sarcasm)
Ticket Master - Decides that going to see the Wonderbolts is more important than getting Granny Smith a hip replacement - Strike Two
Luna Eclipsed - Nearly causes Spike to choke to death for a prank, and ruins Luna and Pinkie's chance at a peaceful resolution, again for a prank. And in an earlier episode, she was going to prank Fluttershy and Pinkie had to talk her out of it. Strike 3, 4 and 5.
Trade Ya - Trades Fluttershy for a book. (Yay! Loyalty!) - Strike Six

Spike (who is not Mane Six per se, but I'll accept the challenge anyway) - Owl's Well: Burns a book and hides it instead of just telling Twilight it was an accident (1) Tries to frame Owliwicious. (2) Winter Wrap Up: Makes fun of Twilight not being able to skate (3). Tells Twilight to use magic, and when it causes trouble, he tries to act as if he didn't suggest it in the first place. (4)

Fluttershy - Brought a plague of parasprites to Ponyville. (1) Then kept "just one", despite the fact that she'd already seen one multiply to millions. (2) Says extremely hurtful things to Rarity and Pinkie in Putting your Hoof Down (counts as 3 and 4, given the two undeserved victims of her ire). There. Even Fluttershy, one of the quietest and least likely to offend ponies, has done some bad stuff.

Of course you can name positive things the ponies have done. That's a given. But you haven't yet tried to name positive things for Rarity, that I've seen. Of course, I haven't read all the new posts in this thread yet.
  • Brohoof 5

Hey everyone, just so you're aware us mods are keeping an eye on this thread in case things get out of hand, so be sure to keep things from escalating ok? All is well as long as everyone respects one another, but we'll notice if things go too far South.

I have personally come to respect Rarity because while it's true that she appears to be a gender stereotype on the surface by being the most feminine and displaying traits associated with a more feminine character, she also subverts the stereotype in more ways than one. She may not like getting her hooves dirty but that doesn't mean she doesn't work hard. In fact her job probably requires just as many hours of dedication as Applejack's and frequently involves pulling all-nighters. It may not be as labour-intensive as working on a farm or as intellectually draining as a night of studying for Twilight, but it's still probably really taxing.

Also, she built her business from the ground up and is now in charge of not one, but three stores. The only delegation she has is for other ponies to tend the stores she isn't at, but she tends the original Ponyville branch personally, and keeps in touch with the other boutiques. Rarity and Rainbow are the two who have achieved their dreams, or at least who had defined goals and have successfully achieved them through lots of hard work and dedication.

Plus, Rarity's a martial artist and not only taught Twilight how to use a gem finding spell, but is insanely good at levitation magic, at least according to my headcanon. Yeah, I firmly believe that most unicorns can levitate up to a few small objects like bits, but in terms of size, weight, quantity and precision, Rarity is crazy talented at levitation and doesn't have the academic background Twilight has.

Above all though, she's a pony who not only wants to look her best, but for others to as well, and by extension, for ponies to have confidence in themselves and for their qualities to shine through, and I think that's wonderful and is something we should all strive to emulate even if it's just in our own small way. On the surface her fashion-oriented nature and episodes dedicated to it seemed like a drag, especially at first, but now I see her in a different light and have found episodes like Canterlot Boutique to be quite enjoyable. I certainly don't have the same interest in fashion, but there's way more to Rarity than that.

I think not having Rarity would have been a mistake, as Faust was determined to stick with characters whose essence isn't distinctly feminine and it's great that that's true of the other mane six. However, if the goal is to show that there's no right or wrong way to be a girl, or even just for characters to appeal to an audience that isn't necessarily of their gender then I think it's great to show that there's nothing wrong with being feminine either. Most importantly, being feminine doesn't hold Rarity back. It's fine if others don't connect with her because certain traits aren't as relatable to them, but all of the above is why I've come to like and respect Rarity as a character.

• Brohoof 10

I shall continue from my other post, and TheImmortalLegendG touched on,

Could you argue that Rainbow Dash has the hardest job of them all, having to fly across Equestria, performing ariel shows, having to keep learning new routines, and she has to serve as a big sister to Scootaloo as well as making it home so she can spend time with all her friends and Tank.

Couldn't you argue that Pinkie Pie has the hardest job of them all having to keep folders and tabs on everyone to remember what they like and she plans years ahead. And she has to throw the parties as well as she has to be the entertainment and has to cook the food, as well as has to be a baker for Sugarcube Corner and other stuff.

And yet they all have to be ready on a whim if they are needed to save the world of Equestria since their leader can't do anything. So couldn't you argue that all of them have hard jobs, but the only thing I've seen here is that Rarity and Apple Jack have the hardest jobs of the two, yeahhhh, say that when Ponyville gets absolutely demolished because Twilight signs the wrong bill.

• Brohoof 2

Plus her total Gold Digger behavior towards Blue Blood in Best Night Ever, her taking advantage of Spike in Secret of My Excess, her drama queen The! Worst! Day! Ever! & being a fashionista when I don't much care for fashion

I will say that after the 1st 3 seasons, she has toned it WAY down & shown in a more positive light to me.  For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils was her best episode, showing that she does have a hard working & caring side.

• Brohoof 1

Locking for cleanup

All right guys; a few things:

1. The point of this topic is clear. This is a peaceful debate on Rarity; or at least that was the intention. As such in-thread discussions on trolling, requests, or anything like that aren't needed here. All topics are meant to stay on-topic; they are not meant to be derailed.

2. Please be respectful; this should not be that hard. Say what you will about hostility or lack-of, but this topic is dripping with a bit too much sarcasm at this point. If someone disagrees with a point that is made, don't respond in a sarcastic fashion, nor in a hateful way either. It sends the wrong message, is disrespectful to your fellow forum members, and does nothing to help the tone or direction of the topic.

That said, I will repeat was @AlbaTross stated:

Hey everyone, just so you're aware us mods are keeping an eye on this thread in case things get out of hand, so be sure to keep things from escalating ok? All is well as long as everyone respects one another, but we'll notice if things go too far South.

It's up to all of you to keep this open. Please be respectful and cut the sarcasm, or this will be locked permanently.

• Brohoof 5

I'm not being hostile. :) Just like you're not attacking Rarity with this thread. I'm merely pointing out that you're not considering any of the other ponies in the same light that you're using on Rarity. I merely ask for some consistency. And really, what did you expect to happen when you made this thread? Her fans are just meant to ignore you and not point out why they think you're wrong in your assessment? I point out that you saying Rarity has a "cushy job" is factually inaccurate. If you want a debate, debate. Don't hide behind sarcasm. Anyone can do sarcasm. Arguing a point is harder.

(List of faux pas - not complete by any means)

Rainbow Dash

Ticket Master - Refuses to help Applejack collect apples because she wanted to nap instead - Strike One. (Yay! Loyalty - sarcasm)

Ticket Master - Decides that going to see the Wonderbolts is more important than getting Granny Smith a hip replacement - Strike Two

Luna Eclipsed - Nearly causes Spike to choke to death for a prank, and ruins Luna and Pinkie's chance at a peaceful resolution, again for a prank. And in an earlier episode, she was going to prank Fluttershy and Pinkie had to talk her out of it. Strike 3, 4 and 5.

Trade Ya - Trades Fluttershy for a book. (Yay! Loyalty!) - Strike Six

Spike (who is not Mane Six per se, but I'll accept the challenge anyway) - Owl's Well: Burns a book and hides it instead of just telling Twilight it was an accident (1) Tries to frame Owliwicious. (2) Winter Wrap Up: Makes fun of Twilight not being able to skate (3). Tells Twilight to use magic, and when it causes trouble, he tries to act as if he didn't suggest it in the first place. (4)

Fluttershy - Brought a plague of parasprites to Ponyville. (1) Then kept "just one", despite the fact that she'd already seen one multiply to millions. (2) Says extremely hurtful things to Rarity and Pinkie in Putting your Hoof Down (counts as 3 and 4, given the two undeserved victims of her ire). There. Even Fluttershy, one of the quietest and least likely to offend ponies, has done some bad stuff.

Of course you can name positive things the ponies have done. That's a given. But you haven't yet tried to name positive things for Rarity, that I've seen. Of course, I haven't read all the new posts in this thread yet.

When I said safe space in my earlier post I was making fun of liberal sjw's. But whatever. Fine positives for Rarity: she's hot. :D Don't judge. But serially here her positives: she's generous even when people take advantage of that temporary. She brave and doesn't back down from danger. She kind and genuinely cares about her friend's. She willing to get dirty when she has to. She genuinely appreciates what her friends(Spike) do for her. Oh yeah and she likes Spike. :) What he's one of my favorite characters. Okay Rainbow Dash positives: she hot. :D Okay last time I promise. Positives: She isn't judgmental of other people. She stood up for both Gilda and Fluttershy in flight school. Despite the fact that she got bullied more because of it. Even though she can struggle between her own ambitions and her friends she always chooses her friends in the end. Out of all the characters she is the most encouraging. Even though Fluttershy felt like a failure in Hurricane Fluttershy Rainbow told her that she still improved a lot and her help was needed and valued. Okay positives for Spike: He's brave. He is loyal to his friends. Ultimately he wants what's best for them. Overtime he's let go of his insecurities and matured. Even risking his reputation and fame for the sake of a friend. He is compassionate as well as resourceful. Even if it doesn't end up the way he intend he always has the best intentions in mind. And yes his dragon greed can get him in to trouble. But over time he's learned to reject this side of himself. He gave the gem he was going to save for his birthday to Rarity. Only because he wanted to make one of his closest friends happy. Fluttershy: Even if it might hurt her friend she always does everything out of love and compassion towards others. In Tanks For The Memoris Fluttershy told Rainbow Dash that Tank was going to hibernation. The point of that was to show that Rainbow would only feel better once she accepted the reality of the situation. I can't give other examples. Because that was an example of Fluttershy at her best. There's also FlutterBrutter but almost everyone hates Soft Breeze Breeze.

I have personally come to respect Rarity because while it's true that she appears to be a gender stereotype on the surface by being the most feminine and displaying traits associated with a more feminine character, she also subverts the stereotype in more ways than one. She may not like getting her hooves dirty but that doesn't mean she doesn't work hard. In fact her job probably requires just as many hours of dedication as Applejack's and frequently involves pulling all-nighters. It may not be as labour-intensive as working on a farm or as intellectually draining as a night of studying for Twilight, but it's still probably really taxing.

Also, she built her business from the ground up and is now in charge of not one, but three stores. The only delegation she has is for other ponies to tend the stores she isn't at, but she tends the original Ponyville branch personally, and keeps in touch with the other boutiques. Rarity and Rainbow are the two who have achieved their dreams, or at least who had defined goals and have successfully achieved them through lots of hard work and dedication.

Plus, Rarity's a martial artist and not only taught Twilight how to use a gem finding spell, but is insanely good at levitation magic, at least according to my headcanon. Yeah, I firmly believe that most unicorns can levitate up to a few small objects like bits, but in terms of size, weight, quantity and precision, Rarity is crazy talented at levitation and doesn't have the academic background Twilight has.

Above all though, she's a pony who not only wants to look her best, but for others to as well, and by extension, for ponies to have confidence in themselves and for their qualities to shine through, and I think that's wonderful and is something we should all strive to emulate even if it's just in our own small way. On the surface her fashion-oriented nature and episodes dedicated to it seemed like a drag, especially at first, but now I see her in a different light and have found episodes like Canterlot Boutique to be quite enjoyable. I certainly don't have the same interest in fashion, but there's way more to Rarity than that.

I think not having Rarity would have been a mistake, as Faust was determined to stick with characters whose essence isn't distinctly feminine and it's great that that's true of the other mane six. However, if the goal is to show that there's no right or wrong way to be a girl, or even just for characters to appeal to an audience that isn't necessarily of their gender then I think it's great to show that there's nothing wrong with being feminine either. Most importantly, being feminine doesn't hold Rarity back. It's fine if others don't connect with her because certain traits aren't as relatable to them, but all of the above is why I've come to like and respect Rarity as a character.

The most feminine character is Fluttershy. At least in that she fits in with classic feminty. She polite, quiet, motherly at times, hygienic. Of course in Green With Envy it was shown that these were traits that just came naturally to her. She's to polite a person to ever do anything intentionally gross.

I shall continue from my other post, and TheImmortalLegendG touched on,

Could you argue that Rainbow Dash has the hardest job of them all, having to fly across Equestria, performing ariel shows, having to keep learning new routines, and she has to serve as a big sister to Scootaloo as well as making it home so she can spend time with all her friends and Tank.

Couldn't you argue that Pinkie Pie has the hardest job of them all having to keep folders and tabs on everyone to remember what they like and she plans years ahead. And she has to throw the parties as well as she has to be the entertainment and has to cook the food, as well as has to be a baker for Sugarcube Corner and other stuff.

And yet they all have to be ready on a whim if they are needed to save the world of Equestria since their leader can't do anything. So couldn't you argue that all of them have hard jobs, but the only thing I've seen here is that Rarity and Apple Jack have the hardest jobs of the two, yeahhhh, say that when Ponyville gets absolutely demolished because Twilight signs the wrong bill.

Spike has the hardest job. Always getting books for Twilight. Constantly being abused by her. Why does he have the hardest job? Arbitrary reasons my friend. I see your point. It doesn't matter who has the hardest job. All of the characters jobs are equally difficult in there own right.

Plus her total Gold Digger behavior towards Blue Blood in Best Night Ever, her taking advantage of Spike in Secret of My Excess, her drama queen The! Worst! Day! Ever! & being a fashionista when I don't much care for fashion

I will say that after the 1st 3 seasons, she has toned it WAY down & shown in a more positive light to me.  For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils was her best episode, showing that she does have a hard working & caring side.

I liked her slightly after Canterlot Boutique.

Locking for cleanup

All right guys; a few things:

1. The point of this topic is clear. This is a peaceful debate on Rarity; or at least that was the intention. As such in-thread discussions on trolling, requests, or anything like that aren't needed here. All topics are meant to stay on-topic; they are not meant to be derailed.

2. Please be respectful; this should not be that hard. Say what you will about hostility or lack-of, but this topic is dripping with a bit too much sarcasm at this point. If someone disagrees with a point that is made, don't respond in a sarcastic fashion, nor in a hateful way either. It sends the wrong message, is disrespectful to your fellow forum members, and does nothing to help the tone or direction of the topic.

That said, I will repeat was @AlbaTross stated:

It's up to all of you to keep this open. Please be respectful and cut the sarcasm, or this will be locked permanently.

Sorry I won't leave any more sarcastic comments. :)

The most feminine character is Fluttershy. At least in that she fits in with classic feminty. She polite, quiet, motherly at times, hygienic. Of course in Green With Envy it was shown that these were traits that just came naturally to her. She's to polite a person to ever do anything intentionally gross.

Perhaps so, but the trait that most comes to mind for Fluttershy is shyness and quietness, which is a gender neutral trait, that is if we assume that specific traits are reminiscent of particular genders. With Rarity the first thing that comes to mind is fashionista, which is something that some guys can get behind but is definitely more of a common practice for females.

So yeah, if we analyze characters at their core there are feminine traits in all of the mane six, albeit seen less common with Rainbow but are still part of her personality too. Also, Fluttershy associates with creatures that Rarity would find gross. Being an animal lover is not an inherently feminine trait either. Neither is politeness. Her motherly side definitely is, though that's also seen in AJ and even Rainbow to an extent. She does have a distinctly feminine appearance and a love for couture, which is a word I've never heard come out of the mouth of any guy. I even had to google what couture is. So there's definitely an argument for Fluttershy being on the feminine end of the spectrum, but Rarity is still the first pony character to come to mind if I think of a lady.

• Brohoof 2

Perhaps so, but the trait that most comes to mind for Fluttershy is shyness and quietness, which is a gender neutral trait, that is if we assume that specific traits are reminiscent of particular genders. With Rarity the first thing that comes to mind is fashionista, which is something that some guys can get behind but is definitely more of a common practice for females.

So yeah, if we analyze characters at their core there are feminine traits in all of the mane six, albeit seen less common with Rainbow but are still part of her personality too. Also, Fluttershy associates with creatures that Rarity would find gross. Being an animal lover is not an inherently feminine trait either. Neither is politeness. Her motherly side definitely is, though that's also seen in AJ and even Rainbow to an extent. She does have a distinctly feminine appearance and a love for couture, which is a word I've never heard come out of the mouth of any guy. I even had to google what couture is. So there's definitely an argument for Fluttershy being on the feminine end of the spectrum, but Rarity is still the first pony character to come to mind if I think of a lady.

I still think Fluttershy would fit being a lady better. She's polite, good manners, and she is quiet. Rarity can be loud and likes to be bold with her fashion. And your right all of the mane six have feminine traits. Which by being women there all feminine by default. But classic feminty or at least what women are sort of known for Fluttershy would fit that description best. But none of the characters are caricatures of women. There still people with their own individual histories and motives. The male characters are the same way.
  • Brohoof 1

I still think Fluttershy would fit being a lady better. She's polite, good manners, and she is quiet. Rarity can be loud and likes to be bold with her fashion. And your right all of the mane six have feminine traits. Which by being women there all feminine by default. But classic feminty or at least what women are sort of known for Fluttershy would fit that description best. But none of the characters are caricatures of women. There still people with their own individual histories and motives. The male characters are the same way.

And that's how characters should be. There's nothing wrong with a character being masculine or feminine or even being somewhat of a common portrayal of their gender. What matters is that there's more to them than that and I think that's what we got with the mane six. Sure, they're all archetypes to varying degrees but I think we can all agree that they're more than that. What matters is how well written they are, and what's done with them. A good character has layers to them, and that's very much true of the mane six.
  • Brohoof 1