Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony else suffer or benefit from Maladaptive Daydreaming Syndrome?

Star Petal

For those who do not know what it is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maladaptive_daydreaming

Anypony else here besides me have this? I feel as though I can control mine, I do it on purpose most of the time, rather than it being automatic and controlling of me. I would say maybe 90% of the time it is intentional, and the pacing I do when it happens keeps me in shape, not to mention ALL my best ideas come from when I am in what I call "my zone". Sometimes it gets so bad that I lose the ability to actually see anything in front or around me, and I wobble a lot when I walk and semi act out the scenes that I am trapped in my day dream state of. It is almost like being in a Drug trip in a sense where I can intentionally or forcefully by my condition lose awareness of reality around me. I have never actually hurt anyone or myself, but one time while daydreaming a fighting scene of some kind with myself in some anime, I think it was me in bleach land, I almost completely tipped over my fridge thinking I was attacking someone who pissed me off. Then I got this great idea the moment I snapped out of that for a video on youtube and realized that....OH SHEETS AND BLANKETS!, My Fridge is about to fall over! 

I do not have the problem, but if I had to bet I would guess videogaming can help, as long as its not slow turn based sorta stuff (something like Tetris, a fast paced puzzle game, studies show it requires high concentration and thus distracts people from stuff like cravings and ptsd). Because it helps dyslexia more than dyslexia therapy, then it could help here because people need to concentrate and focus on their tasks to be successful. Also I bet reading would be a very immersive experience for yourself. Believe it or not daydreaming has been said to be good for the brain tho. But it being maladaptive maybe you need to try daydreaming in cautious self-aware ways. Like, try magic to stop daydream baddies, instead of punches or something, and gesture less so you don't knock stuff over or anything.

Sounds like another made up condition that people can use an excuse to not behave and get their work done. 

No, I never experienced this, but I do day dream all day at work. I'm capable of working and thinking about other things at the same time. But it's mostly because I hate my job (like virtually everyone).

Edited by BronyNumber42
  • Brohoof 1

I daydream all the time, but if I read the article correctly it's solely about people having these kinds of daydreams to the point where they do nothing else anymore. There isn't a second where I'm not thinking about one kind of fantasy universe or another, but it hasn't ever gotten in the way of doing what I should do. (Unless we're counting school work; I never did that till the very last moment anyway.)

I never heard such disorder before, but wow ...These  psychologists like to  diagnoses just about everything huh?

To answer your question, No? I do tends to daydream a lot but I think that's pretty common for everyone.

I do have problems with my mind wandering. I thought it was my attention disorder, though.

I can completely zone out. I used to think I was stupid and couldn't comprehend things. Like I'd watch a TV show or movie and not understand half of what was going on. In recent years I've realized that is because I start thinking about something else without me even realizing and miss a lot of what is being said/what is going on. =/ I have a lot better control of it now and am able to focus while watching shows/movies.

I daydream a lot, but never to the point where it interferes with daily life. So I'm not quite Walter Mitty. ;) I guess I'm just good at fighting boredom with an elaborate inner world to keep me occupied.

9 hours ago, TBD said:

I never heard such disorder before, but wow ...These  psychologists like to diagnoses just about everything huh?

To answer your question, No? I do tends to daydream a lot but I think that's pretty common for everyone.

Nah, the APA hasn't recognized it as a disorder and pathology and it is simply a proposed disorder based off a certain psychologist's experiments. Otherwise, there is no confirmation, though it could be a reason for misdiagnosis of schizophrenia. Daydreaming isn't deeply studied as much as other aspects of sleep, memory, or detachment.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Things I didn't know I had, part one. If only I could get any of them down on a page!

Seriously, though, the more I read about this the more it fits my entire existence. MLP is just one of them...

Edited by BlueStreak98

On 5/3/2017 at 11:08 AM, Max Caulfield said:

Lol, well said 

No. I lose complete touch with reality and It is not a choice of mine. It just happens. When I realize I am doing it I can snap out of it, but day dreaming is a choice someone makes and is healthy, this just sort of happens and can be triggered by thoughts, sounds, emotions etc. 

If you have ever watched the T.V cartoon show Doug, HE suffers from it. You see it every single time he has one of his day trips, and everyone around him is wondering WTF is he doing? I am not as sever though, I can only get THAT bad when I know I am alone and not being watched. 

I do daydream alot but I don't think it's the condition you're describing, nor do I feel that daydreaming is a condition at all. I often easily slip into daydreaming when I'm bored or am exploring new entertainment materials, but I've never had troubles of slipping out of it.

I do have ADHD, but through some counseling and therapy sessions I've taken in the past I am now able to maintain good focus on tasks like studying or work and achieve great results.

I daydream all the time. And sometimes I get really embedded in my reverie. But I wouldn't consider it a 'condition', it's just an active imagination and a short attention span. Sometimes it's fun to zone out; it sure beats reality any day!