Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the wirters even care about Spike as a charcter?

Tilgoreth

What I mean is do the writers seem like they have a genuine interest in doing things with Spike. Or is he just a charcter that they have to write about. I just feel like Spike should be at least remotley more important than he is. The guy doesnt even have a goal. Rainbow Dash has the wonder bolts, and Rarity had her boutique, but Spike is just going to be Twilight's assitant until he dies. And I think that's kind of sad. I could really get in to this if I wanted to. Spike is unqustionably my favorite mlp charcter. An unfortunate choice I am well aware. If only because te fandom at large ranges from hating to at least thinking he is a nusiance. It just feels like the writers will use Spike as a stepping stone for sommthing else. Say for intsance we get a follow up to Gauntlet Of Fire, I feel like the writers(I don't know the names kf the writers for that episode) would almost imediatley remove Spike and make it an Ember episode. The thing to me is that Spike is actually a charcter that a lot can be done with. And I don't just mean because he's a dragon. I just mean how he is as a person (dragon).

One thing that Power Ponies showed was that even though Spike isn't the biggest or strongest guy around, and even though he defintley screws up, at the end of the day when it really he counts, he'll be there for his friends. And I feel like that isn't used enough. It was used in The Times Are A Changling, and somewhat in the season six premiere. Still though I feel like he could be used in more than just Spike episodes. But it just feels like the writers have no interest in him, other than to use him to explore dragon lore. 

Also I know most people don't care. I care because Spike is my favorte charcter. But in the end wouldn't we all rather have great Spime episodes instead of ones thare just okay. And I say that because I feel like some of the great Spike episodes are also great episodes for the show in general. And I could get way deeper into this if I wanted to. So I will just leave it at that.

I feel they did not give Spike a real personality I would really like to see Spike act like a dragon since that is what he is so I would Spike to  have an episode where he goes back to the dragons, but leaves the others behind I feel like the mane 6 is his downfall since he is so dependent on them I mean he did go off and find the changeling, but that was just 1 episode, but since then he has not had much screen time as an actual character he was more of a background/support character so it would be nice to have an episode that does focus on him Spike is not my favorite character I find him annoying, but I  would like to see an episode focused on him going to the dragons again, but on his own so I do agree the writers don't put much time into Spike's characters their main focus is the mane 6 and Starlight Glimmer.

• Brohoof 1

I just LITERATELY made a Spike post just a second ago! XD Anyways, back in season 6, it looked like the writers knew exactly what to do with him! He was near perfect! He was on the right track! Now.... I can't tell. I mean I won't say they stopped because season 7 is far from over, but he's still got so much potential within him that needs exploring! He might have a goal, and nobody but the crew knows it yet, not even Spike knows it! He's got a destiny within the ponies somewhere, because he can't be a dragon in a pony world for no reason! There has to be some kind of purpose to it! Now after Spike started up the alliance between ponies and dragons, and ponies and changelings, it made me believe that I know what his purpose in Equestria could be! The question is: do the writers know it yet? Maybe they do, and they wanna surprise us! Maybe I could be wrong, and his destiny could be greater than I ever imagined!

Not just this though, but he still doesn't know where he came from, or why or how he ended up in Celestia's possession. Some say Celestia found him, but I think he was given to her! Like an abandoned child on a doorstep! We gotta know eventually. Plus he could use a little more bonding time with other characters that aren't Twilight and Rarity. He could use more time with Ember and Thorax, just to prove Starlight ain't stealing them from him (I'm still upset that Thorax and Spike didn't interact in the premiere), he could use an episode with Starlight, the CMCs, or other members of the Mane Six he hasn't had an episode with yet, like Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Rainbow.

All we can do is hope for the time being. If nothing is happening, maybe we should send Hasbro or DHX an email asking them why they aren't doing anything special with him.

• Brohoof 1

They care enough about him to address most of the issues people had with him in Season 6, which is easily his best season by far

• Brohoof 7

Given how he was treated in season 6, I wouldn't say that the writers don't care about him, or at least not anymore.\

I am pretty sure that later on in the season, he will get at least one episode where he gets some focus, even if we have to wait a while.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

I just  LITERATELY made a Spike post just a second ago! XDheck in seaseat it looked like   th e writers knew  e yt to do with him! He was near perfect! He was on the right track! Now.... I can't tell. I mean I won't say they stopped because season 7 is far from over, but he's still got so much potential within him that needs exploring! He might have a goal, and nobody but the crew knows it yet, not even Spike knows it! He's got a destiny within the ponies somewhere, because he can't be a dragon in a pony world for no reason! There has to be some kind of purpose to it! Now after Spike started up the alliance between ponies and dragons, and ponies and changelings, it made me believe that I know what his purpose in Equestria could be! The question is: do the writers know it yet? Maybe they do, and they wanna surprise us! Maybe I could be wrong, and his destiny could be greater than I ever imagined!

Not just this though, but he still doesn't know where he came from, or why or how he ended up in Celestia's possession. Some say Celestia found him, but I think he was given to her! Like an abandoned child on a doorstep! We gotta know eventually. Plus he could use a little more bonding time with other characters that aren't Twilight and Rarity. He could use more time with Ember and Thorax, just to prove Starlight ain't stealing them from him (I'm still upset that Thorax and Spike didn't interact in the premiere), he could use an episode with Starlight, the CMCs, or other members of the Mane Six he hasn't had an episode with yet, like Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Rainbow.

All we can do is hope for the time being. If nothing is happening, maybe we should send Hasbro or DHX an email asking them why they aren't doing anything special with him.

I think there was a good start to a relationship between Spike and Starlight in the season six premiere. But it hasntT really been adressed Since then. Also I thought it was weird how Twilight only thought to send Starlight to the dragon Lands, and the changling kingdom. Spike played a big role in both of them becoming allies. I just think it's weird that after all Spike has done he essintialy has gotten no recognition of his efforts. I guess he got a stained glass window, and the crystal ponies apreciation, but despite how many times he's stepped up Twilight shows no recognition of that. Even  hough  though he has been her loyal assitant for most of his life. 

15 minutes ago, TheImmortalLegendG said:

Also I thought it was weird how Twilight only thought to send Starlight to the dragon Lands, and the changling kingdom. Spike played a big role in both of them becoming allies.

That was about Twilight trying to decide what to do with Starlight, so it only makes sense her fantasy would involve just Starlight interacting with these other cultures. Besides, I imagine Spike is writing to both Ember and Thorax to find out how they are faring in their new leadership roles, and Thorax even came to visit in the season opener.

Hmm, Spike is kind of a kingmaker, isn't he? Three characters he's close to have ended up as rulers of some sort.

• Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Given how he was treated in season 6, I wouldn't say that the writers don't care about him, or at least not anymore.\

I am pretty sure that later on in the season, he will get at least one episode where he gets some focus, even if we have to wait a while.

For first 5 seasons, dedicated Spike episodes were hit-or-miss. You'd get an epic adventure like Dragon Quest, and then you'd get an embarrassment like Spike At Your Service that treats Spike like garbage.

Last season though, I enjoyed every Spike episode. The writers finally came to their senses and made Spike a bit more mature on a consistent basis, not to mention they actually allowed drew some attention to how much he has learned from Twilight, who might as well be his adopted sister.

• Brohoof 2

Come on, he was great in season 6 and i really liked his performance in the flurry heart episode, especially at the end.

Not every episode needs to be a spike episode, to show that the writers care for him and considering this is a show with a variety of different characters, it's not possible anyway. :)

• Brohoof 4

On 5/2/2017 at 9:11 PM, Mesme Rize said:

Come on, he was great in season 6 and i really liked his performance in the flurry heart episode, especially at the end.

Not every episode needs to be a spike episode, to show that the writers care for him and considering this is a show with a variety of different characters, it's not possible anyway. :)

Unfortunately it looks like S7 is dead-set on undoing all that by having Spike keep his new friends Ember and Thorax apart because he thinks they as rulers of their kingdoms won't get along, which is about as pants-on-head stupid as you can get.

11 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Unfortunately it looks like S7 is dead-set on undoing all that by having Spike keep his new friends Ember and Thorax apart because he thinks they as rulers of their kingdoms won't get along, which is about as pants-on-head stupid as you can get.

Nice crystal ball that you have there. Can i take a look? :P

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Olsen1987 said:

perhaps he's just a comic relief?
exception is that Gauntlet of Fire episode, which was really a awesome episode.

PINKIE is comic relief! She's the Element of Lolness, is she not? 

Season 7 is all about families and legacies, they gotta have something for him in at least one of these categories, right? Triple Threat is already looking to be a legacy episode for him by the end of the episode!

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

It's a synopsis, you know that right? That's not the episode silly. :ooh:

Surely you've come to realize that the simple solution of getting over the trepidation and introducing them to one another isn't gonna happen for a good 15 minutes of episode time, right? Odds are it'll be an accidental meeting and everything is hunky-dory between them and Spike's been worrying himself sick over nothing

Spike is best used as a supporting character - if someone else was freaking out about the political ramifications, with Spike providing the sane man argument, then it'd be fine, but I won't hold my breath

Edited by The Nth Doctor

5 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Surely you've come to realize that the simple solution of getting over the trepidation and introducing them to one another isn't gonna happen for a good 15 minutes of episode time, right? Odds are it'll be an accidental meeting and everything is hunky-dory between them and Spike's been worrying himself sick over nothing

Spike is best used as a supporting character - if someone else was freaking out about the political ramifications, with Spike providing the sane man argument, then it'd be fine, but I won't hold my breath

What you are saying are assumptions. If you prepare yourself to hate this episode, of course then you will. But i for myself just see a synopsis as a teaser. a good synopsis can become the worst episode and a bad synopsis can become the best episode, so i don't take a synopsis very seriously.

I watch the episode and then i will judge it.

• Brohoof 6

18 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

What you are saying are assumptions. If you prepare yourself to hate this episode, of course then you will. But i for myself just see a synopsis as a teaser. a good synopsis can become the worst episode and a bad synopsis can become the best episode, so i don't take a synopsis very seriously.

I watch the episode and then i will judge it.

I set the bar low so I can be surprised when the episode is good.

And when that bar is never lifted for 20/26 episodes, I think I'm justified in being skeptical.

I'm also exceptionally pessimistic.

6 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

I can see why Spike would be worried. Ember and Thorax are pretty different personality-wise.

The Mane Six might be best friends despite their different personalities, but the Mane Six were bound together by the Elements of Harmony. Thorax and Ember are just 2 characters whose only connection is their friendship with Spike. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Olsen1987 said:

perhaps he's just a comic relief?
exception is that Gauntlet of Fire episode, which was really a awesome episode.

Spike is NOT the comic relief. He;s always been the straight-man, the voice of reason to Twilight and others. He learns from others' mistakes. He shouldn't be treated as a comic relief. That's Pinkie's job

6 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Spike is NOT the comic relief. He;s always been the straight-man, the voice of reason to Twilight and others. He learns from others' mistakes. He shouldn't be treated as a comic relief. That's Pinkie's job

Pinkie Pie is in the mane cast, the mane 6, the element of laughter.
spike as voice of reason?
yeah, he really need a voice of reason since he's causing enough trouble alone.