Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Musical tastes

Soma O)))

I'm partial to hip-hop / rap, most notably west coast beats (90's Dr. Dre, yessss) and trap music. There needs to be an infectious beat (preferably with a heavy baseline; Chief Keef and Drill music is a pretty good example. Although I do prefer good lyrics to accompany the instrumental I'm just a suckered for an artist that can evoke a feeling of (psuedo) invincibility) or a story-teller lyricist  (a la 'Bad Guy' by Eminem for example, and most all his other album transcending songs). If not a great story-teller, I can also get down with someone who can weave their lyrics expertly and who have a nice flow to go with it.

I really enjoy the Nerdcore subgenre (KtP! o.o)

Aside from the above mentioned, I do enjoy most genres of music (although I draw the line on many a country song (unless it's Johnny Cash or a song like "Fire On The Mountain")... except Garth Brooks, 'cause I'm basic like that (and my mom listened to his stuff while I was a young'un (along with Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith). I may or may not croon "Friends In Low Places" at work... purely sarcastically, of course...)).

Wait, what was I typing?

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Oldschool hip-hop/rap, funk and RnB is just right up my alley. 

Edited by Guest

I really only listen to video game soundtracks these days, but I have in the past formed a liking of post-rock and ambient music. I feel like sometimes the singing and lyrics can take away from the musical value of a piece of music (It's especially apparent with modern pop music -_-).

• Brohoof 1

Oh boy, there's plenty of that in my book. 

Rock/metal - pretty much most of subgenres of those, but mostly atmospheric music that also utilizes heavy riffing in very general and some of power metal bands. I try to write my own music that can be labeled as metal, only it is instrumental music and I aim for creating atmosphere more than for sheer brutality, heaviness or aggression (but I still don't hesitate to go full heavy if I feel like it). 

Orchestral music - this one is mostly thanks to soundtracks of Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne. I enjoy dark orchestral music, atmosphere it makes is more intense than anything small bands are capable of creating. Song "Terror" from Bloodborne soundtrack says enough.

I have no idea how to label NieR: Automata soundtrack when it comes to genres, but there You have it. 

Some midi music, like soundtrack of Undertale is pretty fun to listen to from time to time. I only wish OST version of Undertale wasn't so weirdly cut (OST of Papyrus is far too short for example ).

Old pop music, like Michael Jackson etc. Not too often, but I do enjoy it from time to time. Good to give my ears some rest xD 

And there are of course songs that are simply incredibly stupid (but unlike generic pop music they are pretty damn hilarious). Pick what You want - some memes , remixes etc. Fun to listen for some dumb laugh XD 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I mostly listen to metal (nu-metal,goth and industrial are my fave sub genres) but I do like a lot of 80's pop/rock,particularly 80's soundtracks (top gun being a favourite).but I also love Tori Amos,don't mind a bit of DnB,I like some rap,but mostly go for horrorcore rather than chart rap 

Edited by Kinsella
Typo

I tend to gravitate towards most genres of metal, with thrash metal being the only one that bores me to tears. Along with that, I really enjoy aggro-tech, along with some orchestral music and some dubstep.

Modern UK Folk is pretty damn good these days - I suggest you listen to Show of Hands, Bellowhead and Seth Lakeman for reference. 

But me? I tend to listen to older stuff in general. I love 80s 90s pop, rock, metal, 90s dance/trance, 70s indie rock and punk. 

More modern stuff I like includes; Skater punk/rock, alternative, decent dance tracks (like Madeon). If i want new stuff, I tend to just take it off film soundtracks now. Pop/mainstream music today is just bollocks. 

I'm mostly into the wide world of alternative rock. Lately I've been into art rock and post-rock as well. I also occasionally listen to ambient and electronica.

Metal all the way, baby. Melodic Death, Power, Symphonic, sometimes Thrash (depends on the band and album) are where it's at.

I do listen to other things once in awhile though. Trance EDM tends to be my go-to but I'll also listen to DnB, Dubstep, and Hardcore as well.

I like anything that makes me want to dance. Celtic jigs tend to do that to me.

Once in awhile I'll dip into some pop stuff. Usually the dancy kind like Ke$ha and Lady Gaga.

Rock in general is good but it can be very hit and miss. The Offspring? Yes. Three Days Grace? Yes. 

Generally speaking most of my musical taste is from 2000 and onward though. Not a fan of a lot of things from before then. Except Disco. Disco is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost every form of metal, especially thrash, prog (mostly pre-djent stuff), and just classic metal, noise, industrial (not really huge on aggro-tech/ ebm, though.), 70's/80's prog and hard rock, 90's videogame soundtracks, some country, some alt rock, some punk, classical, and post rock.

And other stuff occasionally.

I listen to:

• Classical music
  • Orchestral music
  • Rock
  • Pop
  • Metal
  • Nightcore
  • Some Electro music

And so on. ;)

I hate:

• Hardrock
  • Some Electro music
  • Some Rap

I listen to whatever sounds good to me, but if I had to name some of my favorite genres...

• Punk Rock
  • Hip Hop
  • Swing
  • Electro Swing
  • Indie
  • Reggaetón

I also like Chiptune, but that's more of a medium than a genre.

• 4 weeks later...

Video game music remixes, especially remixes with metal or orchestral or electronic genres.

I also occasionally listen to progressive metal or classical music.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...