Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could the show use a little romance?

ManaMinori

yeah, friendship is an important theme in the show, but could an episode be dedicated to the friendship and bonds between an already established couple? This seems to be the season for secondary character development, after all- could an episode be given to Mr and Mrs Cake, trying to have some romantic time to themselves- maybe on a double date night with Twilight's parents, and some member of the mane 6, maybe Pinkie, or Twi, have to keep interrupting for whatever reason, so the couples can't really have their alone time, and some lesson be learned by the interrupting party?

• Brohoof 1

It's good to keep the focus on romance limited to a certain degree - keep in mind the show's primary viewership is comprised of young children who generally wouldn't be interested in that sort of thing. I think it's great that romance exists in the show but it's unnecessary to focus on it heavily; the core theme of friendship is good as is.

• Brohoof 1

Yes it could. Spike x Sweetie Belle needs to become canon by the end of season 8! Any longer than that and I will lose all faith in the writers' collective integrity! (<- take this with a mild sprinkling of sarcasm, if it wasn't already evident lol. Although, admittedly, I think it would be a great way to tie the lose ends of the Sparity falling out)

close_to_you_by_csanimations-d8y2dth.jpg

Twilight and Flash Sentry need to get together in the the actual show, same goes for Rarity and Fancy Pants (don't mind Fleur, she's just a trophy whore :P ). Fluttershy x Big Mac or Big Mac x Marble Pie would be pretty great too. 

And I'm not merely saying this in a "fantasy ships" kinda way either. I legitimately feel like exploring these relationships would add a whole new layer to the show \(^o^)/

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

It's good to keep the focus on romance limited to a certain degree - keep in mind the show's primary viewership is comprised of young children who generally wouldn't be interested in that sort of thing. I think it's great that romance exists in the show but it's unnecessary to focus on it heavily; the core theme of friendship is good as is.

the show really hasn't touched on it too much, aside from Heart's and Hooves Day, Hard to Say anything, and a Canterlot Wedding

three episodes out of over 150

you really don't have to worry

3 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

the show really hasn't touched on it too much, aside from Heart's and Hooves Day, Hard to Say anything, and a Canterlot Wedding

three episodes out of over 150

you really don't have to worry

Lol I never said I was opposed to individual episodes. I was speaking in a much more general sense

• Brohoof 1

There was the episode where Twilight baby sat her niece Flurry Heart so Shining Armor and Princess Cadance can get some alone time. Most of the episode was focused on Twilight, but there were some moments with the parents.  There was the recent Big Mac episode.  Please tell me I'm not going to have to look up the episode where Rarity is jealous because she likes a pony that likes Applejack.  There has been more than just the wedding and hearts and hooves day.

• Brohoof 2

23 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Yes it could. Spike x Sweetie Belle needs to become canon by the end of season 8! Any longer than that and I will lose all faith in the writers' collective integrity! (<- take this with a mild sprinkling of sarcasm, if it wasn't already evident lol. Although, admittedly, I think it would be a great way to tie the lose ends of the Sparity falling out)

Twilight and Flash Sentry need to get together in the the actual show, same goes for Rarity and Fancy Pants (don't mind Fleur, she's just a trophy whore :P ). Fluttershy x Big Mac or Big Mac x Marble Pie would be pretty great too. 

And I'm not merely saying this in a "fantasy ships" kinda way either. I legitimately feel like exploring these relationships would add a whole new layer to the show \(^o^)/

I support this!

Though I do have my doubts of SweetieSpike being canon on the show. But hey, stranger things happened on the show! I won't say it's impossible! ;)

I do almost guarantee that the Sparity thing though will be a thing in the past! Nothing against the Sparity fans, but I just don't like how this crush is turning out currently. Rarity had her chance to go out with Spike, but if it isn't happening now, Spike's gotta move on, and if Rarity regrets it, hey she had her chance! :P

• Brohoof 2

29 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Twilight and Flash Sentry need to get together in the the actual show

As long as the Flashy that dates Twi is the human one crossing the mirror :dash: . The fandom meltdown would be EPIC :D

But I agree on something, The show has shown it's share of romance, but I think it there can be some sort of developing romance of like: being clear that two characters are or can be romantically involved, but they still act like friends, with friendly banter and stuff. Like some guys in Pokemon during the Whirlpool side arc, the episode of the silver wing souvenir 

• Brohoof 2

I'd certainly love to see more Shadence episodes. Maybe an episode about trying to make time for each other between their parental and royal duties...

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to see a little romance in the episode especially now that Big Mac has his special somepony like maybe them going on a date for ice cream or something like that. I wouldn't mind Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich getting together either :pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

45 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Twilight and Flash Sentry need to get together in the the actual show

Nope. Please, no. Let Princess Twilight be with the human Flash Sentry who has actually interacted with her. I just can't really see a romance working between pony Twilight and pony Flash. Starting from scratch doesn't really feel right. Just like how it would be strange for Timber Spruce to fall for Princess Twilight.

As for romance that occurs only within the FiM universe, I would really appreciate some better execution of Big Mac x Sugar Belle. That has potential. And maybe throw in a love interest for Pinkie Pie out of left field. I seem to remember an old rumor (before Season 5) that this would happen, but of course nothing ever materialized. Something about pairing Pinkie with a special somepony makes it seem like a recipe for some amazing humor.

• Brohoof 2

We do have some romance already in the form of married couples in addition to Big Macintosh and Sugar Belle being an item, yet the writers can only go so far without violating the age demographic as dictated by Hasbro. Simple things like crushes, flirting, and the like are perfectly fine and married characters showing us what it can be like to a degree is something that could be looked into.

• Brohoof 2

I hear Flash and Timber come for Twilight already. :nom:

No, I think a little romance is good in the show, but with limits. Also would I enjoy a lesbian relationship in the show. Rainbow and Lightning Dust? :huh:

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

When only decent male character for intriguing romance is Spike, you have a problem.

What defines "decent" to you? I would like to see colts/stallions utilized more often in the show, however. 

I'm good with the amount of romance that's been shown. Maybe a hint here or there, but we don't need too many full-on-episodes surrounding it.

• Brohoof 1

On 6/12/2017 at 9:47 PM, K.Rool Addict said:

Bic Mac and Sugar Belle is already canon. Also Fluttershy and Bic Mac would cause a singularity which could only be fixed by the goodness that is FlutterDash. Also were does Spike x Sweetie Belle even come from? Is that from the comics? Or is it just another crack ship. Also Sparity rules.

9 hours ago, Hierok said:

I hear Flash and Timber come for Twilight already. :nom:

No, I think a little romance is good in the show, but with limits. Also would I enjoy a lesbian relationship in the show. Rainbow and Lightning Dust? :huh:

In what universe does Rainbow x Lightning Dust work? Wouldn't Lightning hate Dash's guts? At least Gilda was shown too not be a total jerk. Lightning Dust has zero redeeming qualities. Also cough cough FlutterDash ftw.

30 minutes ago, Meeps said:

What defines "decent" to you? I would like to see colts/stallions utilized more often in the show, however. 

I'm good with the amount of romance that's been shown. Maybe a hint here or there, but we don't need too many full-on-episodes surrounding it.

I think "Hard Too Say Anything" was probaly the limit. It was also the first romance too be introduced that wasn't established off screen. (Though I guess Cranky x Mitilda technically counts.)

7 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

When only decent male character for intriguing romance is Spike, you have a problem.

He's also the only main charcter who is male, so that's kind of a default. Though I guess he really is the only significant male charcter you could do a romance focused episode on. "Hard To Say Anything" wouldn't have worked without the CMC, and Discord can't show up too often because John De Lancie is too expensive. Then again it's unlikley will ever get more than a Sparity tease every now and then. Generally romance is avoided when it involves child charcters. And Spike is maybe seventeen at the oldest. With Rarity being eight or so years older. Though that doesn't mean much since how dragons age is anybody's guess at this point.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:13 PM, MegaSean45 said:

I support this!

Though I do have my doubts of SweetieSpike being canon on the show. But hey, stranger things happened on the show! I won't say it's impossible! ;)

I do almost guarantee that the Sparity thing though will be a thing in the past! Nothing against the Sparity fans, but I just don't like how this crush is turning out currently. Rarity had her chance to go out with Spike, but if it isn't happening now, Spike's gotta move on, and if Rarity regrets it, hey she had her chance! :P

As cute as Spike and Rarity's relationship is, making it romantic feels creepy. Spike is probaly between fifteen and seventeen and Rarity is at least nine too ten years older. Which at the begging of the show Spike was probaly twelve or thirteen and Rarity was probaly twebty three. Their relationship would just be creepy. Though I do like the fact that they are actually friends.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Tilgoreth said:

In what universe does Rainbow x Lightning Dust work? Wouldn't Lightning hate Dash's guts? At least Gilda was shown too not be a total jerk. Lightning Dust has zero redeeming qualities. Also cough cough FlutterDash ftw.

I don't know, but I was just naming a random character. Flutterdash is cute tho, but I would prefer Apple Dash. Fluttershy can get better and it could work better. :orly: Although I wouldn't prefer Flutterdash, I could see it happen, because it would be so adorable. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Hierok said:

I don't know, but I was just naming a random character. Flutterdash is cute tho, but I would prefer Apple Dash. Fluttershy can get better and it could work better. :orly: Although I wouldn't prefer Flutterdash, I could see it happen, because it would be so adorable. :wub:

Oh okay I though you were being serious. Though AppleDash seems annoying becuase of how big each charcters ego is. Though I guess it isn't as bad as RariJack(which I still ship).

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Meeps said:

Discord is a needy old geezer, Shiny is a wimpy weakling of a husband, Mac romance gets more cringe with every new episode, Flash/Spruce are practically background characters with benefits, Sunburst is decent but unshippable, and Thorax is more hollow than Hollow Knight while possessing none of its heroic nature. To me, Spike is the only one among them who is shippable. He is important and developed enough while not being portrayed as creepy, weak, and/or stupid. He's even allowed to save the day and be witty to them girls without coming across as a total a-hole. And most importantly, he's not really tied to Rarity at this point.

20 hours ago, Tilgoreth said:

He's also the only main charcter who is male, so that's kind of a default. Though I guess he really is the only significant male charcter you could do a romance focused episode on. "Hard To Say Anything" wouldn't have worked without the CMC, and Discord can't show up too often because John De Lancie is too expensive. Then again it's unlikley will ever get more than a Sparity tease every now and then. Generally romance is avoided when it involves child charcters. And Spike is maybe seventeen at the oldest. With Rarity being eight or so years older. Though that doesn't mean much since how dragons age is anybody's guess at this point.

Spike and CMC ... Just spin the bottle ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Discord is a needy old geezer, Shiny is a wimpy weakling of a husband, Mac romance gets more cringe with every new episode, Flash/Spruce are practically background characters with benefits, Sunburst is decent but unshippable, and Thorax is more hollow than Hollow Knight while possessing none of its heroic nature. To me, Spike is the only one among them who is shippable. He is important and developed enough while not being portrayed as creepy, weak, and/or stupid. He's even allowed to save the day and be witty to them girls without coming across as a total a-hole. And most importantly, he's not really tied to Rarity at this point.

Spike and CMC ... Just spin the bottle ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Eh, sunburst is pretty much solidly shipped with Starlight at the moment. So he's shippable, just with a single specific individual only.

• Brohoof 1