Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How will the movie be received?

CastletonSnob

It will be mixed just because it is a film. Some will dislike it because it is a film based on a toyline and won't see it as anything more and disregard the plot and anything else. Others will blindly review it high just because it is MLP, and will disregard any failings it might have. Many will bash it just because that seems to be the in thing to do these days, while many will just heap praise on it just because they can regardless of how the movie is. The reviews will be all over the place I am sure, but not all of them will be genuine or honest, and many will just be based upon personal bias or from those just hopping on some sort of bandwagon to be part of some perceived group.

(edited)

While  can't tell the future, if they stick to what makes the main show ( and Equestria Girls ) such great watches, the film should probably get mostly 7s/10s. I just really hope that they don't sell the story out just to attract a more casual audience, as that can sink many movie adaptations of really great shows.

Edited by Rarity the Supreme
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think we can really predict the future, and a trailer doesn't always represent the final quality of a film - I liked 2016's "Ghostbusters" movie despite how weak its trailer was, and that movie got a solid mixed-to-positive reception. I think it's most likely that critics will have a fairly mixed reaction to the film - like, 66% or so on Rotten Tomatoes. (Lowest expectation: ~44%, highest: ~73%). I don't expect some massive backlash from anyone but the kind of hardcore fan who dwells on this forum. 

And then, I expect the reaction here will be pretty mixed if the complete film feels anything like the trailer. People like myself who like the show for being gentle and character-driven might find it overly loud and busy, while all of those people who beg for more epic conflicts and action will probably be reasonably pleased with it. 

But I hope I'm wrong and it turns out really well. 

Typically. Brony haters will hate on it, the bronies will like it.

Edited by Guest

Probably average. It will definitely get praise, especially from those who are fans of the show, but I can definitely see some snobby Rotton Tomatoes or Meracritic posters write this movie off as some dumb kids toy commerical

I think it will be received by critics as what it likely will be, a good movie that doesn't break the mold or do anything crazy,a fun throwback to disney-esque 2d animation. Overall I am expecting something like a 7-8/10 to be the average critic score.

Audience scores will be impossible to take seriously, if it is super high it will likely be because bronies flooded review sites giving 10/10 ratings and if it is super low it will probably be because dumbass anti-bronies will give it 1/10s because "neckbeard basement dwellers" blah blah blah

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I think some critics/critical articles and sites will be 50/50 on it.  Some will praise it for it's animation. Some will praise for its comedy. Some will praise for being a good coaster of a ride from start to finish.

Others will criticize it for being a 100min toy commercial, a story that could have been done as five-parter in the series, as well as trying to cram too much in at once.

But overall, honestly, it will be about 50/50

Some will hate it and some will love it. The only I would hate it if it's too predictable or if it still stuck in the mainstream. Where I kinda want to be out of it. So we will see. 

• Brohoof 1

If it does really well, I can see it getting a >70% on Rotten Tomatoes and a moderately good performance at the box office. Although in all likelihood, I think the movie will be in the 40-60% range and just break even. That's okay because all the profits from toys and merchandise would ultimately make it profitable. I can't see it doing that badly either way.

I'm not sure how critics will react to it. The show has received a decent enough reception. Perhaps the critics might be pleased if they come in with the lowest possible expectations, much like many of us did when we first watched the show. I guess only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Tiny Hoofs said:

If it does really well, I can see it getting a >70% on Rotten Tomatoes and a moderately good performance at the box office. Although in all likelihood, I think the movie will be in the 40-60% range and just break even. That's okay because all the profits from toys and merchandise would ultimately make it profitable. I can't see it doing that badly either way.

I'm not sure how critics will react to it. The show has received a decent enough reception. Perhaps the critics might be pleased if they come in with the lowest possible expectations, much like many of us did when we first watched the show. I guess only time will tell.

This reminds me of something Jeremy Jahns recently said in his review of the new Tomb Raider movie trailer, and I'm paraphrasing: If you think it's gonna be crap, then it only has to be "meh" in order to feel enjoyable. That's the type of logic that pretty much kickstarted the fandom, isn't it?

Of course, I was worried that the movie might not have anything to really appeal to anyone besides the fans, which made me equally worried that the movie didn't really seem all that interesting compared to the other things the show has done. But then the soundtrack came out, and now I don't care if people hate it because that music actually feels like it can only be done in a movie.

No more doubts. I'm going to love this movie.

After hearing the soundtrack, I am positive it will be fresh on RT, maybe even Certified Fresh (remember, RT is not an overall score but a percentage of critics that "liked" the film, meaning that it can still have a 90% with an average rating of 7/10).

If we are talking about professional critics ... I'm guessing we will see mixed trending slightly positive with some good and bad. 

If we are talking fandom, see @AlexanderThrond and his post. There are absolutely going to be people who naturally prefer adventure over slice of life and visa versa that will either be satisfied or not. Personally, I prefer the stronger SoL material from the show, so I can completely understand that. 

On 9/22/2017 at 10:03 AM, immblueversion said:

and now I don't care if people hate it because that music actually feels like it can only be done in a movie.

tenor.gif

At this point, it's box office and reviews won't matter to me if the film is enjoyable, which since they have dumped a lot about it, looks like it will be for me.