Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

24 minutes ago, Foreign Candy said:

At the moment it currently has a 56% on Rotten Tomatoes 😕

12 minutes ago, Applejack1989 said:

My friends and I predicted 56%-65% on RT,

Good news: It's currently risen to 60% (meaning it's now in "Fresh" territory).

IGN made a written review for it, but its garbage.  Guy claims to be a fan but gets stuff wrong. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/05/my-little-pony-the-movie-review

1 minute ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Good news: It's currently risen to 60% (meaning it's now in "Fresh" territory).

Could still go down though.  I really wish those earlier positive reviews were part of the score.

10 minutes ago, caseyastevens said:

IGN made a written review for it, but its garbage.  Guy claims to be a fan but gets stuff wrong. 

Could still go down though.  I really wish those earlier positive reviews were part of the score.

Seems Sonic fans aren't the only ones peeved at IGN.

Well well well... look what we got here.... two of the three negative reviews (the other one is more mixed than negative) come from two of my old enemies from when I was a gamer I sell.. IGN and Slant Magazine... 

Edited by Sly

To be fair, MLP is certainly not for everyone and I can understand why some people may think that it's simply too much of sunshines and rainbows for them, but reviews like IGN are just completely nonsensical and should just be ignored. Hell, I saw a review a couple hours ago that said it was just as, if not worse than the Emoji Movie (Yes, seriously).

• Brohoof 2

You've also gotta keep in mind that there's a good chance these people didn't even watch the movie considering it's just starting to release to the public, and could just be downvoting it to troll. It's good to wait a few days to see how it fluctuates. You also gotta keep in mind that not everyone cares for the show and might not get attached to the characters the same way others do.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

You've also gotta keep in mind that there's a good chance these people didn't even watch the movie considering it's just starting to release to the public, and could just be downvoting it to troll. It's good to wait a few days to see how it fluctuates. You also gotta keep in mind that not everyone cares for the show and might not get attached to the characters the same way others do.

This is most likely going to be one of those movies that general audiences will enjoy more than critics.

Reaction to the IGN review in question:

E.g., "Discord could've fixed everything in just a few seconds!"

Yeah, because if Twilight's Kingdom and To Where And Back Again taught us anything, it's that it's impossible for a villain to come up with some way to deal with him. :orly:

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, caseyastevens said:

They actually rated The Emoji Movie higher with a 4.5. THE. EMOJI. MOVIE. :orly:

13 minutes ago, Foreign Candy said:

We're closing in on 70% people! :pinkie:

Yay! :yay:

Yeah kinda saw those Emoji is better reviews a mile away, you know there was gonna be people who wasn't going to give it a fair shot just because it's MLP

I'm more annoyed by that IGN review than anything else though, it reeks of a nitpicky fanboy

• Brohoof 4

11 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Yeah kinda saw those Emoji is better reviews a mile away, you know there was gonna be people who wasn't going to give it a fair shot just because it's MLP

I'm more annoyed by that IGN review than anything else though, it reeks of a nitpicky fanboy

My respect for them has gone from 0 to -10%.

I give their review a 7.8. Too much absured bullcrap.

It's becoming more and more obvious that the My Little Pony movie is getting some better reception.  Good reception.  In fact, when many say that it's HAsbro's best film, they really mean it(Considering that the movies before them are only Transformers 1986 and Transformers 2007, and they both hover in the Rotten area)

Saying it's better than the 86 Transformers Movie is a pretty bold claim actually, considering a lot of people(myself included)holds it in high regard

3 hours ago, caseyastevens said:

A few of those reviews were from approved RT critics, so we'll likely see them added at some point. 

On 10/4/2017 at 2:21 PM, Jeric said:

IMDb uses an internal algorithm that assigns weight to specific members who rate more movies, and they also reduce weighting to outliers that don't have an established history of voting. 

And that's closer to my 20 million expectation. Too many in the industry really low balled this film. This is a bit more of a fair predicted for an October animated film with a built in audience. 

Of course that was before the leak and the late embargo, so who knows what influence that will have. 

Bad news, recent predictions from the very reliable box office mojo.com have the filmpegged to open at a little over 8 million perhaps 9 million. Which means...it won't even break the top 5..

I can't believe I'm saying this but...I wish Sony was the distributor, say what's you want, but they know how to market a movie(even a terrible one like emoji) 

I just got back from the theater a little while ago. Funnily enough, there were exactly two other people (what looked like a mother and daughter) in the theater other than me, and it was the first showing on the first night. But I did go to a theater in the middle of nowhere, and there were only maybe 20 cars or so in the parking lot for the whole theater in total.

For what it's worth, I thought the movie was good. I was expecting it to be basically an extended episode with higher production values, but after seeing it, I guess I wouldn't quite describe it that way; I might say that it felt a bit like a Disney movie. The animation/visuals might take a bit of adjustment as compared to the show, but as would be expected, they're generally pretty good. In retrospect, one thing that's a bit surprising about the movie is that the plot keeps pushing forward. The movie mostly doesn't linger long in any particular place; in fact, a lot of the time spent in particular locations was done in the song sequences. Speaking of those, they're fine, for the most part; I'm not going to be listening to the songs outside of the movie or anything, but they do what they're supposed to do. I'm not a fan of the "We Got The Beat" cover that plays at the start of the movie, but I'm probably a bit of a purist about old hit songs like that. On the other hand, though, I did appreciate the reference to "The Girl From Ipanema".

There are a few observations I remember having that I'll list below. I'm going by memory, though, so the details may not be quite right.

Spoiler

Rainbow Dash encourages the pirates to go back to pirating and be awesome again, but don't pirates typically loot and pillage other people's property? Should that really be considered awesome? It might be kind of like how the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies get the audience to root for the pirates.

There doesn't seem like there's any particular reason why the Mane Seven needed to be transformed into seaponies (or fish), other than so that a bunch of seapony toys can be sold. But yeah, I know, selling toys is the name of the game, and all that.

The scene right after Twilight is caught trying to take the pearl and the Mane Seven are kicked out is kind of weird and confusing. If I'm remembering correctly, Twilight only told Pinkie to give Princess Skystar a good time, with no mention of Queen Novo or anyone else (e.g. any guards who might have been guarding the pearl). So if Twilight's plan was to have the party distract everyone so she could secretly take the pearl, it seems like that only occurred by coincidence. Also, Twilight never said anything about winning over the seaponies with Pinkie's party and thus convincing them to give the Mane Seven the pearl, so again, the fact that that was apparently on the verge of happening seems like just a coincidence. If that is the case, then Twilight didn't really ruin that plan because that never was planned in the first place.

The backstory of Tempest just kind of blows by; it didn't seem to me to do much to establish sympathy for her position or the reason(s) she has her current attitude toward friendship.

The new friends that the Mane Seven made on their journey ultimately didn't seem to do much to actually stop the Storm King. As I recall, stopping the Storm King was more or less made possible by Twilight's not being turned to stone, the rest of the Mane Seven blasting in from the cannon at just the right time, and Tempest's turnaround to sacrifice herself, which incidentally turned the Storm King to stone too. Capper, the pirates and Princess Skystar carried out a plan to get into Canterlot, and fought the guards a bit, but that's about it. If Twilight were simply captured before the Mane Seven encountered any of the new characters, what would have changed? Couldn't the same events have more or less played out?

Finally, it seems a bit arbitrary that the staff with all of the princesses' magic in it can reverse essentially everything that the Storm King did, but then Tempest's horn apparently couldn't be fixed.