Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Okay, so we need to talk about that one scene

Jade The Pegasister

I honestly wasn’t expecting to need a tissue for this movie and this scene really got to me in so many ways (lots of fans have already made comments about this scene, and it’s now very famous to talk about and discuss/debate) when twilight snaps at pinkie amd her friends and pinkie pie just so crushed by what she said it was super shocking and I totally agree OOC 100%, but then when the other mane five walked away only spike stayed and this really sad emotional Pixar-like music started playing in the background, I felt a sense of uselessness from twilight, the fact that spike stayed with her and didn’t walk away with the others truly shows spike and Twilight’s relationship which was rather bittersweet in this scene, but then here’s what REALLY got to me, when twilight sits by that ledge and she just started weeping I lost it and cried because there was a feeling of loss and giving up as well as regret for twilight, then, as spike tried his best to comfort her, it only made it even more emotional and unbearable for her, but then the bad guys came in and it kinda ruined the moment lol awkward!

Edited by Jade The Pegasister
  • Brohoof 4

I actually disagree that the scene was Out of Character for Twilight.

She was placed under an incredibly stressful situation and I feel like her lashing out at Pinkie was more a result of all that stress getting to her rather than actual malice.

I would also say that this was my favorite scene from the film.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 14

To be honest, I don't think it was out of of character for Twi. When you're out of your comfort zone, under a stressful situation, and your friends appear to not be taking things seriously, even abandoning common sense, it would be out of character for Twi not to have lashed out. I'm glad they addressed all her friends shenanigans in the end, instead of glossing them over as 'ponies will be ponies, lol.' 

Heck, even Twi trying to steal the hypogriphs pearl makes sense. Normally she wouldn't break such a cardinal rule, but then again, she normally isn't in hiding, trying to save her civilization from being conquered. Desperation, drives everyone out of character. And that's to be expected. 

@Jade The Pegasister also, you may wanna use spoiler tags.

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 5

I wouldn't say that was OOC. Throughout the movie, Twilight had one primary focus: save Equestria. This scene was built up as Twilight had to deal with her friends messing up. I was kinda on Twilight side when Dash did that sonic rainboom, that was pretty dumb and reckless. She delt with Capper, who she thought was a con artist. The only scene where I think she held the idiot ball was when she tried to steal that orb. 

• Brohoof 5

It wasn't out of Twilight's character because she basically felt like the others weren't taking the situation seriously enough, and could very well have straight-up blown their chances. And, being the last remaining princess, Twilight feels especially pressured about it and fears letting everypony down. She just never lashed out at them like this before because never have they deal with such a high-stakes situation together, making their reckless actions feel all the more cringe-worthy and idiotic.

And to be completely honest? Even before the movie was announced, I always felt like a pony movie outright needed to have something involving a genuine, emotional rift between Twilight and her friends, no mind control or anything, and the scene where she breaks down is one of the few things in the film that genuinely surprised me, and man was it emotionally powerful.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 3

Twilight will never be one thing. She was designed to always grow in her ability of friendship with the others. This conflict was absolutely true to the struggles envisioned in the bible of the show as she becomes a better friend. She will always overcome her challenges with the others to grow in the magic of friendship. growth is a big part of this show. If she did not have a large friendship conflict in the movie, it would have been a total betrayal of her character and completely at odds with the vision of her character and a utter lack of realizing the potential of the movies large theatrical scope.

• Brohoof 1

Then this scene is like, quite possibly the best and most emotional moment from mlp I’ve seen 

4 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

She was placed under an incredibly stressful situation and I feel like her lashing out at Pinkie was more a result of all that stress getting to her rather than actual malice.

I would also say that this was my favorite scene from the film.

I’d really love if someone uploaded the background music from this scene 

8 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

So do I. In fact, I feel like that portrayal of Twi in the movie was closer to the old pre-alicorn one. One that surprised me in that scene was Pinks, by delivering a WHAT THE HELL HERO? To her without being over the top nor silly. That alone made me gain WAY more respect to Pinks than ever before

• Brohoof 2

47 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

So do I. In fact, I feel like that portrayal of Twi in the movie was closer to the old pre-alicorn one. One that surprised me in that scene was Pinks, by delivering a WHAT THE HELL HERO? To her without being over the top nor silly. That alone made me gain WAY more respect to Pinks than ever before

I can't say it wasn't expected. Of all of them, Pinkie prides herself most on her skills and is devastated when they go unappreciated i.e. her feelings toward Starlight in "Every Little Thing She Does" (albeit partly exaggerated for comedy) But that touches on something I love is the justification of the comic relief in the plot. Having this scene of anger for the comic relief not come out of nowhere and also tie into losing what could have been her biggest contribution to their problems, that was fantastic. Future animated movies with comic reliefs take note, that is how you make the comic relief feel like a worthwhile character without changing characterization!:okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 3

14 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

To be honest, I don't think it was out of of character for Twi. When you're out of your comfort zone, under a stressful situation, and your friends appear to not be taking things seriously, even abandoning common sense, it would be out of character for Twi not to have lashed out. I'm glad they addressed all her friends shenanigans in the end, instead of glossing them over as 'ponies will be ponies, lol.' 

Heck, even Twi trying to steal the hypogriphs pearl makes sense. Normally she wouldn't break such a cardinal rule, but then again, she normally isn't in hiding, trying to save her civilization from being conquered. Desperation, drives everyone out of character. And that's to be expected. 

@Jade The Pegasister also, you may wanna use spoiler tags.

The other big difference in this situation is that she came to the conclusion that friendship doesn't work outside of Equestria based on her previous experiences. 

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

The other big difference in this situation is that she came to the conclusion that friendship doesn't work outside of Equestria based on her previous experiences. 

Trust me, been there. When you lose faith in certain people because you've been let down so much, you...... change 

• Brohoof 1

After watching my country's dub, I could understand A LOT better why Twilight snapped at the other Mane 5. The world outside of Equestria is different and they have to play by their rules. I liked how Twilight pointed that RD's Sonic Rainboom was not needed and caused more trouble in the end. I'm not too sure if Rarity, Applejack, or Fluttershy did something to deserve being talked to that way, but I understand that when you're angry, you can't always control your emotions, and they can be so strong as to make the other characters feel awful, even if they didn't do anything wrong. I'd complain about how Applejack and Fluttershy didn't do a lot (especially the latter), but that's something for another topic.

• Brohoof 1

I feel that scene was totally in character and would have felt pretty lame and awkward had she not snapped.  As stated by other members, being put under the tremendous stress that she'd been for the entirety of the movie would cause her to do things she might not otherwise do (such as stealing the orb). We have a fair number of examples of her patience being tested time and time again by her friends' shenanigans (iirc mostly Pinkie's but still) and I definitely felt her frustration with Dash over the Rainboom. Incredibly reckless and thoughtless for a group of ponies who are in hiding or protecting someone who is in hiding. Now I'll grant you that AJ, Rarity, and Fluttershy hadn't really done anything to warrant being snapped at like that, and it was pretty crummy of Twilight to yell at Pinkie after she had done...well, frankly, exactly as Twilight had asked. But up to that point, I had gotten the sense that Twilight's friends either didn't really understand the gravity of Twilight's position and mission and as such didn't take it as seriously as they should have or maybe they did but, thanks to prior experiences, figured that Twilight was (as she is prone to do) overreacting and that this new menace would be taken care of no problem like pretty much every other villain they've faced thus far. I felt with Twilight when she finally reached her breaking point and I think the whole scene would have felt wasted had she not snapped like that.

• Brohoof 1

If you think Twilight was OOC in that scene then you really need to re-watch some episodes because breakdowns like that are nothing new. Granted, a lot of those are older pre-S4 episodes, but Twilight has never really been good at dealing with stress.

Her nastiness in Feeling Pinkie Keen was uncalled for though. I do agree with that. Pinkie Pie's quirks aren't worth exploding over.

• Brohoof 3

I don't believe that scene was OOC for Twilight. It just shows that she is not a perfect princess all the time and she makes mistakes just like all the other ponies. The amount of stress on her was stupendous and I cannot imagine how she would feel if she didn't let it out. I feel as if it was a good addition to her character so we can see that she isn't perfect.

• Brohoof 1