Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I weird?

Feather Scribbles

Well, to start things off, I am 18 years old. Now, you normally wouldn't expect someone (outside of England/Europe?) to be wearing a top hat, a fancy coat, and other luxurious clothing out in public, and yet I do. Having lived in Canada for the vast majority of my life (coming from England), I tend to find that virtually all of my fellow Canadians that I have encountered so far only wear casual clothing, and those who don't "get the look" from strangers on the street. Therefore, being the second only person I know who loves to wear a top hat, a watch, dress shoes, dress pants, and a fancy cloak - and everyone else is wearing jeans and T-shirts - am I too different?

In addition, I am a sucker for medieval fantasy, and often my dialogue IRL reflects my interest - no, passion - for that particular genre. I am an avid reader and writer, and my dream is to one day live in a residence that is directly inspired by the Middle Ages.

I have no friends IRL, but that's mostly because of my barely developed social skills. Therefore, would wearing this type of attire and having the personality I have - witty/funny, kind, and interesting... in an almost fantasy-inspired/mysterious sense - decrease my chances of making friends?

I know that everyone should be their own person, and I am comfortable with my current style, but... I have been considering assimilating into the culture that surrounds me. Should I?

If not... Any idea if people like me are a "rare breed", or are people like me more common than I think?

• Brohoof 4

I think you're great like that with the attire you described. Let no one take that away from you if you really love dressing like that.

Plus, I think it's cool you'd want to live in a Middle Ages inspired residence!

Edited by WiiGuy2014

As someone on the autism spectrum, I’ve learned the importance of knowing when to “blend in”. It’s not what I always want to do, but it can get you ahead. It’s easier to interact with people when they aren’t thrown off by your eccentricities.

HOWEVER this is only really an issue in situations in which you need to be “professional” or “respectful”. You shouldn’t go to a job interview or a funeral dressed up in Victorian era clothing. But just going out to do your own thing, like to the store or the park? I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Personally, if I had someone walk into my store dressed like that, I’d be thrilled. It breaks up the monotony of a boring day. Just be prepared to answer people’s questions as to why you’re dressed like that.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 6

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

As someone on the autism spectrum, I’ve learned the importance of knowing when to “blend in”. It’s not what I always want to do, but it can get you ahead. It’s easier to interact with people when they aren’t thrown off by your eccentricities.

HOWEVER this is only really an issue in situations in which you need to be “professional” or “respectful”. You shouldn’t go to a job interview or a funeral dressed up in Victorian era clothing. But just going out to do your own thing, like to the store or the park? I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Personally, if I had someone walk into my store dressed like that, I’d be thrilled. It breaks up the monotony of a boring day. Just be prepared to answer people’s questions as to why you’re dressed like that.

Seconded and move to make this best answer on this thread. 

OP, be who you are, but understand there are times you need to find a way to conform to some expectations. Interactions may be difficult, but constants like attire should be within your ability to adapt when warranted (interviews and job). 

And one person's weird is another person's eccentric. ;)

• Brohoof 2

When it comes to personal style, there is no such thing as weird. Individual, yes, but not weird. 'Normal' is a relative term and one that shouldn't be synonymous with ordinary or boring. If everyone dressed and acted the same there would be no style at all, just uniforms. If you love what you wear, own it and don't change just to be the same as everyone else. You don't see everyone else changing to be the same as you and that's also good because everyone is their own person. There are situations where there is little choice if you want something from someone else like a job with a paycheck, bank loan or whatever. That's just playing the game and it's temporary. When it's time to let your individuality shine, let it SHINE! B) 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

Yes.

You are TOTALLY weird.

Completely and utterly, due to your affinity for fancy clothing.

A real weirdo.

CHERISH THAT.

Discord_Dance_2.gif.07286d0e7e01e772be77659f255f413a.gif

• Brohoof 6

Personally, I want to wear an awesome-looking mask in public without getting weird looks or people wanting to take selfies with me (that happened one night at BronyCAN 2016, and not with other bronies). I don't want people thinking I'm going to commit a crime such as a burglary. I do want to wear clothes that are not out of the ordinary but also unique, like an "assassin's" jacket (no, seriously, look it up).

I live in Canada, too. Even in the small city/town where I live in, I sometimes see people dress up in attire outside of the norm, and that brightens my day. 

• 1 year later...
(edited)

Normality is a manmade concept anyways to seem like somebody fits in with everyone else! :P

The truth is that everyone is weird in their own ways. :twi: Though some people more than others. Considering that a lot of my mannerisms point to me being on the autism spectrum, my neutral gender identity, and the fact I just totally don't blend in where I live whatsoever, I know plenty about being weird. ;) Certainly that's weirder than just having an affinity for certain types of clothing. Though I've got that covered too. I've been aching to go out on the street one day in a mini-skirt and fancy slippers and flip the bird on everyone who gives me weird looks! :laugh:

Edited by DusksuD
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm often called weird so I guess I am.

While @ShadOBabe put it nicely, it's rather complicated question for me. I really don't understand conformity, however, I do practice and appreciate behavior appropriate for the situation.

Our social life is extremely important to our inner life. It's a puzzle we work on everyday I think, with lots of pieces still unmatched.

Some would call that weird, but I am weird too, and proud of it. I often wear casual clothing, but it is zebra related (zebra T-shirts, zebra cosplay tail), and I love being weird in this way.

• Brohoof 1