Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mouth breathing

Olly

Also used as an insult in the US (because of the "open mouth" look of some people with this habit), it's not something I've heard being talked about. In fact, lots of people learn about this too late, my doctors never said anything about it.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Breathing through the mouth is habit formed in early childhood when the nose is frequently clogged. It can lead to bad posture, jaw and teeth problems, occasional sore throat and headaches. 

most of the time, my lips are slightly parted. I breathe mostly through my mouth, because it's difficult for me to get enough air through my nose. 

Do you breathe mainly through your mouth? 

It can also be due to deviated nasal septum, which is not uncommon. It's a simple correction, and one that pays dividends. Believe it or not, the oxygen one receives even through a deviated septum or partial blockage is not going to alter the Carrico index or FiO2. In most instances, the sensation of difficulty in breathing is what promotes breathing through the mouth.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Olly said:

Also used as an insult in the US (because of the "open mouth" look of some people with this habit), it's not something I've heard being talked about. In fact, lots of people learn about this too late, my doctors never said anything about it.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Breathing through the mouth is habit formed in early childhood when the nose is frequently clogged. It can lead to bad posture, jaw and teeth problems, occasional sore throat and headaches. 

most of the time, my lips are slightly parted. I breathe mostly through my mouth, because it's difficult for me to get enough air through my nose. 

Do you breathe mainly through your mouth? 

Not really, no. I’ve always been a nose breather. 

It would be wise to seek help to correct that. Breathing through your nose has many long term benefits such as filtration, immune response (many germs are immediately exterminated/captured inside the nasal cavity) and temperature equalization (warms/cools air before it hits lungs).

My son was a mouth breather when he was young, mostly due to his unfortunate allergies (which have gotten much better after turning 18) and the aid of my spectacular wife.

In acting school they actually teach you to breath through your mouth so as to have a larger blast of air support for ACTING. It created an odd habit of in through mouth out through nose, which is kind of the opposite of what you should do.

If you live in cold climate, one trick to start to get you out of the habit might be to simply go for a jog in the cold. Your throat and lungs will be pissed at you and want a divorce. Then you'll learn, or you'll be paying child support to your organs for years. One of the two. 

That assumes you don't have a physical reason for not breathing through your nose. 

I breathe through the mouth, too, because you get more air in that way.  I think that it just looks obnoxious of unbecoming in polite society but it is the better way to breathe to me, lol. :)

I also try to chew with my mouth open because then you breathe better when chewing, lol. :)  It better facilitates your breathing while you eat, lol. :)

I avoid it because my throat is real sensitive to cold, even room-temperature air passing very quickly can irritate it and start an infection. So I do my best to breathe through my nose, which still passes by my throat but at least my nasal cavities warm up the air.

As a child, I noticed my mouth sometimes opened on its own at night and I'd wake up with sore throat; same thing when I'm exhausted and panting. So I acquired the reflex of using my tongue to block off that path, practically 24/7 (only opening it to talk, consume food or drinks). My mouth still opens up at night (sometimes pretty wide), but thanks to the tongue blockade, the air still goes through my nose instead.

Edited by Feather Spiral

1 hour ago, Br O N Y said:

Breathing throught your mouth is quite bad and should really be avoided, someone actually made a very good and informative video about it.

some of that seems dubious (like breathing through the mouth correlates to low intelligence and that it can change the shape of your face) but on the whole pretty informative and important information. 

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

I've been taught and learned that breathing through the mouth is effective while playing wind instruments. Of course, breathing through the mouth is awkward for regular breathing and I don't do that, but I do at least try to do it while playing because it really works better to fill up the diaphragm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

majority of the time no i dont. its an eticate thing. but walking around town, im quite unfit and have had a cold for a while so i have to look like a mouth breather so i can actually breathe! im aware im doing it though. i suppose i pant ^^;

• 1 year later...

I don’t not breathe through my mouth when i’m exercising hard or when I have a stuffy nose and I can’t breathe through it.