Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scariest Gaming Moment?

Nightfall Gloam

Hello, everyone!

I was just wondering what would you say is the scariest moment in anything gaming related you've experienced? This can be anything from entire games, to specific locations, items and characters, Easter eggs, leftovers from development, or even certain error screens (such as the RSoD on PS2).

For some reason, I've never really scared that easily, so its kinda hard for me to answer this question, but, I'd say the hidden ghost in World 4-4 on Super Mario 3D Land was kinda scary for me... Never would have expected that from a Nintendo game.

• Brohoof 4

Probably the scariest thing to happen to me in a non horror game was this one time I played MGS V. I was sneaking around through a canyon trying to get the jump on some enemy troops, and I guess a hyena was on the other side of this bush I was heading to and it was growling at me. I didn't notice, next thing I know it jumped through the bush and put me in a quick time event. No doubt to this day is the scariest thing that has happened to me in a non horror game.

• Brohoof 1

I've had a few jumpscare moments while playing games, but I have to say one of the scariest moments was while I was playing Prey. For some context, the game takes place on a space station called Talon-1 that has been completely overrun by an alien race called the Typhon and murdered most of the crew. As you progress further and further through the game, you eventually encounter a being called "The Nightmare", who was solely created for one purpose: to kill the main character. This creature is so terrifying that the game even tells you that your best option is to run and hide.

Anyway, I enter the main lobby about halfway through the game and the Nightmare spawns. Sneaking past him (unsuccessfully), I bolt inside the med-bay and close the door behind me, as I had done previously to keep The Nightmare at bay. Only one problem:

I forgot to lock the door behind me. And, unlike the aliens from Signs, the Typhon can open doors.

I glance up from a computer just in time to see The Nightmare barreling through the door towards me. I screamed, almost dropped my controller in panic and barely avoided falling out of my chair. In a panic, I bolted, hurling grenades and such behind me to try and distract The Nightmare while I made a break for towards the main lobby. Now, what is the one thing you don't do when you're being chased by something?

Look behind you to see if it's still there. So of course, I did and of course it's two feet behind me. After another panic, I ducked inside a maintenance duct and clutched my shotgun protectively until The Nightmare finally got bored and left.          

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

This is gonna sound crazy, but the scariest moment ever for me in gaming was from Slender the Arrival. Yeah, seriously. Here's how; At one point, you must go to a farm and proceed into a cellar. Creepy idea already, yes. However, instead of Slenderman being down there, which I don't find him scary at all, there was one of his proxies, a disfigured woman, who just happened to be stalking you. The lighting made her appear nearly as a shadow and that is one of my biggest fears. So I wanted to get out of there quick. and I did. Yay! So I am walking through the field, and all of a sudden, I hear footsteps coming towards me. I turn around and that same proxy is now stalking me in that field. I had to turn the game off for a while on that moment, I was so stressed and freaked out. XD Hard to believe a damn Slender game of all things could incite this much fear in me, but I guess Slenderman himself is so unscary at this point, that when this happened, it really caught me off guard. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

A majority of the original Dead Space, and the part towards the middle in Dead Space 2 when you have to go back to the Ishimura. Something about that section disturbed me more than anything, especially going through it blind. Seeing areas you've been to previously, covered in white blankets got really under my skin. Both worked on a sense of dread and the fear of the unknown of what's ahead.

The part in Psychonauts when you find Milla Vodello's locked away nightmares completly caught me off guard and disturbed me as a kid. Climbing up the insane asylum's tower creeped me out when you hear and see Sheegor peeking out every once in a while. 

Pretty much anything in Bloodborne, because the game so hard and its horror related, it actually works on a psychologial level as your terrified to go through any level. Every enemy has specific sound effects that is so loud, that it racks up your nerves and makes you dread what enemy is coming up. Like the Wolfmen's screeching, the trolls moaning, and the witches cackles. This game has some really underlooked sound design. The scariest level has to be the Forbidden Woods because of the men with the bursting snake heads, and its easy to get lost in. The Upper Catherdral Ward, Old Yar Ghul are also pretty scary. The Nightmare Frontier gets a special mention as well because of the giant brain enemies.

Surprisingly enough Arkham Knight got me to jump quite a number of times when i played it a few years back. Definitely play it on halloween after you've done certain side quest....

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 2

On 4.1.2018 at 6:29 PM, ultrairongorilla said:

A majority of the original Dead Space, and the part towards the middle in Dead Space 2 when you have to go back to the Ishimura. Something about that section disturbed me more than anything, especially going through it blind. Seeing areas you've been to previously, covered in white blankets got really under my skin. Both worked on a sense of dread and the fear of the unknown of what's ahead.

The part in Psychonauts when you find Milla Vodello's locked away nightmares completly caught me off guard and disturbed me as a kid. Climbing up the insane asylum's tower creeped me out when you hear and see Sheegor peeking out every once in a while. 

Pretty much anything in Bloodborne, because the game so hard and its horror related, it actually works on a psychologial level as your terrified to go through any level. Every enemy has specific sound effects that is so loud, that it racks up your nerves and makes you dread what enemy is coming up. Like the Wolfmen's screeching, the trolls moaning, and the witches cackles. This game has some really underlooked sound design. The scariest level has to be the Forbidden Woods because of the men with the bursting snake heads, and its easy to get lost in. The Upper Catherdral Ward, Old Yar Ghul are also pretty scary. The Nightmare Frontier gets a special mention as well because of the giant brain enemies.

Surprisingly enough Arkham Knight got me to jump quite a number of times when i played it a few years back. Definitely play it on halloween after you've done certain side quest....

Yes, just yes when it comes to Dead Space. Basically every part in DS had some really creepy things. But the one I hated the most were basically the med labs when the Hunter appears (the one that regenerates itself)

I still love that game though

• Brohoof 1

There is one part of F.E.A.R : Persuaded Mandate scare the crap of me, there is a building with a soldier stand at the door, instead of going to kill him, i went to alley for exploring sake, i found a health kit on the trashcan, i took it and turn around then a ghost girl sudden appear... and my heart stops... That health kit is a trap, a hidden jump scare, fantastic gaming experience.

Another freakout moment is one area of Doom 3. There are 2 ways, a bridge with monsters constantly throw fireball from afar and... a door lead to a dead-end with some ammunition. Instead of going to the bridge, i saw some bloody foot-print that lead to the door as if there was someone who leave there to lure me in. The foot-print appeared on the way just like someone who is walking before my eyes but i couldnt see her (i forgot to mention there was a woman voice said 'follow me'), when i came to the ammunition in end of the hallway, the foot-print suddenly turned around and went TOWARD ME, the scene turned red with baby crying sound and people screaming, holy shit. Then i picked up the ammunition and get the fuck out.

Those hidden items are not worth my sanity. I am a goddamn fearless soldier with super reflex can take out a whole regiment and a badass marine went through a horde of demons with shotgun but  i feel useless in those moments...

They are good scary moment to remind me how not to take the alternative path... to pick some items...

When Majora's Mask first came out in 2000, the concept of the moon falling and destroying everything legitimately gave me nightmares from simply renting it from Blockbuster. It wasn't until 2005 that I finally got my own copy and it became my favorite Legend of Zelda game of all time!

Just listen to Majora's Theme and tell me you'll sleep easy tonight after hearing it. I dare you!

• Brohoof 3

whne I was younger it was Mad Monster Mansion and the Pyramid in Gobi's Valley from Banjo Kazooie. hated them

The game over in the Pyramid being the worst one x.x

These days its

Majora's Mask - the aliens....... I freaking HATE how much these terrify me. I think Ive only completed this once in my life legit, but hacked through it the other times.

Wind Waker - the ghost ship. I think its the noise it makes when youre near it in the dead of night. Very ominous and creepy.

Five Nights at Freddys (first one) - Bonnie. For some reason I have real issues with Bonnie the rabbit. Of all the jump scares and scary faces the animatronics make, he's the worst one. Just dead eyes with a gaping mouth of teeth I reckon. In ironically Im a furry with a fursuit, so no idea why tis scares me so.

Resident Evil 4 - The regenerators. Need I say more?

Resident Evil 7 - all of it set in the house and on the grounds. The 2nd half of the game loses the scare factor because of location change.

Edit: one more I thought of.

Freeing Clanker in Banjo Kazooie. Still to this day I have this fear of drowning where you unlock the chain in Clanker's Cavern. I think I failed way too many times when I was a kid and it was the worst thing ever. I did it the other week and still had this panic feeling when swimming Banjo back to the surface.

Edited by StormBlaze
  • Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

These days its

Majora's Mask - the aliens....... I freaking HATE how much these terrify me. I think Ive only completed this once in my life legit, but hacked through it the other times.

Did You know, you can legally slow down time by playing the Song of Time backwards? If you do that, the aliens will slow down too (their speed is tied to the clock), giving you much more time to deal with them. You don't need to hack the game!

• Brohoof 1

The scariest moment I faced in gaming was when I was playing Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. There are certain levels where you have to be all sneaky and ninja past some sort of sentry and DEAR GOD THERE IS NOTHING MORE TERRIFYING THAN MAKING IT ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF THE RESTRICTED SECTION AND HEARING "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE!"

• Brohoof 2

Probably any of the encounters that I've had with the weepers in the original Dishonored. The amount of times that those fuckers caught me off guard is ridiculous.

Either them or the flood from Halo. Now THOSE things terrify me.

Edited by Zerutso
  • Brohoof 1

Friday the 13: The Game is not really scary, but it makes me jump some times because I play with a headset. There will be times when I am trying to hide from Jason and all you hear is silence. Then he appears close to you and all you hear is this and it makes me jump every time.

Edited by joanro
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Did You know, you can legally slow down time by playing the Song of Time backwards? If you do that, the aliens will slow down too (their speed is tied to the clock), giving you much more time to deal with them. You don't need to hack the game!

i use that all the time, but still i cannot beat the aliens. I just suck at that mini game so much ^^; they ALWAYS get to the cows

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, StormBlaze said:

i use that all the time, but still i cannot beat the aliens. I just suck at that mini game so much ^^; they ALWAYS get to the cows

Really? Do you run out of arrows, or something? 'Cause to me, it's the not the aliens that's nerve-racking. It's the milk delivery the next day.

• Brohoof 1

My scariest experience was when I first saw a Cerberus crash through the window, in Resident Evil Director's Cut. I was nine years old at the time.

• Brohoof 1

On 2018-01-12 at 5:13 AM, StormBlaze said:

Five Nights at Freddys (first one) - Bonnie. For some reason I have real issues with Bonnie the rabbit. Of all the jump scares and scary faces the animatronics make, he's the worst one. Just dead eyes with a gaping mouth of teeth I reckon. In ironically Im a furry with a fursuit, so no idea why tis scares me so.

For me, it's Chica (because of her uncanny-valley bugeyes) and Freddy (because he can pop out of nowhere).

The others don't bother me that much. In fact, Foxy's "jumpscare" is priceless.:lol:

Edited by Even Evil Has Standards
  • Brohoof 3

10 minutes ago, A.V. said:

For me, it's Chica (because of her Uncanny Valley bugeyes) and Freddy (because he can just pop out of nowhere).

The others (even Golden Freddy) don't seem to bother me so much; in fact, Foxy's "jumpscare" is just priceless ( :lol: ).

It's not the scary factor that keeps me wary from playing the series. It's the potential loud noises the animatronics jump scares hurting my poor ears!

I actually find the story hauntingly intriguing!

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Really? Do you run out of arrows, or something? 'Cause to me, it's the not the aliens that's nerve-racking. It's the milk delivery the next day.

I hate aliens in general so maybe theres a fear of the unknown or something in there from childhood. 

I literallty cant manage this mini game. Im just not that good. The goro milk cart chase is fine though. Theres only 2 of them in the reasonably same spot

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...