Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most over-hated episodes?

Sovereign Leader Rarity

I'm just gonna use this to talk about episodes which I feel I enjoy more than most. 

Feeling Pinkie Keen - I think there might be a more positive consensus about this one nowadays, but I still consider it one of the best examples of slapstick in the whole show. Really well-paced jokes. 

Owl's Well That Ends Well - Haven't seen this one in a while. For all of Spike's immaturity and bad behaviour, I thought it ultimately came from a somewhat sympathetic (if juvenile) place, and I really liked seeing how much he actually cares about Twilight. 

Putting Your Hoof Down - "New Fluttershy" is super charismatic and super entertaining, and Iron Will is a really funny antagonist as well. Not entirely sure about the moral, but I like that Fluttershy attempts to be more assertive, and then needs to learn what that means to her. 

Dragon Quest - Huge fan of this one. The dragons are super funny, Spike's internal conflict is very sympathetic, and we see great character development from Rarity and Rainbow Dash in particular. In the end, this episode's about how family transcends genetics, how the people who love you matter more than the people you're genetically related to. 

One Bad Apple - This one took a bit of a hit for me recently, but I still think there's some hidden depth to Babs which makes the episode a lot more interesting than its reputation suggests. I'm still hoping she gets a second appearance in the show. 

Spike at your Service - Despite the weird characterization in spots, I think this one actually has some of the show's best dialogue. It's so snappy and casual, and other parts like Rainbow's fanfiction novel are absolutely hilarious. 

Daring Don't - I guess the thing here is that I like Daring being real, and don't quite understand why so many people take issue with it. This is a pretty entertaining adventure all around. 

Rainbow Falls - Wouldn't say I'm a fan, per se, but I think this has some good intentions that it doesn't always get credit for. I think the core idea of forcing Rainbow to chose between her dreams and her friends is worthwhile. 

Leap of Faith - Most meaningful of the "key" episodes, and while not the most fun, it still has its fair share of entertaining moments. Mostly I just think this story has a lot of depth, and provides a more significant conflict than most My Little Pony episodes.

Equestria Games - Spike's inadequacy has always felt emotionally resonant to me, and the long, uncomfortable scenes of him messing up only really enhance how sympathetic his feelings are. We can see why he might feel insignificant, and it's not hard to feel for the poor guy. 

Party Pooped - Hilarious. Rapid-fire jokes, one after the other, and there's an anxious atmosphere here which keeps the episode emotionally grounded. Mostly, I like that this episode actually considers how these ponies might struggle with actual diplomacy, given that they've never dealt with it before this point. 

The Hooffields and McColts - I just find the interplay between Twilight and Fluttershy really funny. 

The Cutie Re-Mark - Starlight's reformation, wherein a misguided pony is faced with the consequences of her actions and is given a second chance, still strikes me as deeply poignant. 

The Crystalling - This low-key two-parter is pretty funny and is filled with relatable human experiences, and it all culminates in a pretty spectacular setpiece, and shows how even someone who has failed and failed again can still do something important. 

The Gift of the Maud Pie and On Your Marks - Both of these are just really funny. The former has some nice worldbuilding, and the latter has a fairly sympathetic conflict from Apple Bloom.

Newbie Dash - Impressions aside, I think this does a good job of putting Dash's boasting in a context which still makes her sympathetic and even lets her learn a lesson other than "don't be egotistical." In this one, Dash actually stops boasting when her self-esteem is increased, which is quite clever. And I do think the interpretations that this promotes bullying/hazing are a little exaggerated. 

Flutter Brutter - I just find this jerk funny, and I can relate to his fear of failure if nothing else. (obviously nothing else.) He's so smarmy, and I just find that funny for whatever reason. The episode is just nicely paced to emphasize the absurdity of his behaviour. 

Every Little Thing She Does - I mean, Starlight does face consequences for her actions in this one. 

To Where and Back Again - Probably the best that most of these characters have ever been. An episode grounded by the sheer anxiety of its protagonists, and filled with one creative turn after another. Very little action, but lots of satisfying adventure. 

Triple Threat - Has a lot of funny moments, and the ending is genuinely sweet. I find Spike's confusion about these characters fairly sympathetic - he spent time with both of them exactly once, and besides, he's already stressed out of his mind. 

• Brohoof 4

On 12/26/2017 at 10:44 PM, ShootingStar159 said:

Princess Spike is a better example of an overhated Spike episode to me, since Spike was more in character. It just gets a lot of hate since it involves Spike messing up again, which always seems like a silly complaint to me in a show that’s key formulae is to have a character learn a lesson.

Sometimes characters learn their lessons without messing up! I thought of an awesome alternate ending for the episode which involved, not Spike taking advantage of Twilight, but Spike getting overwelmed by all the stress Twilight goes through, and that's when he becomes tired much like Twilight did! He learns that being a princess is hard and more stressful than he thought. He succeeds, but it turns out he doesn't like it. This develops his character and also teaches him a lesson! It would've made Spike's role in season 5 much better instead of a waste of time.

12 hours ago, MAIKUN said:

My choice would be Crusaders of the Lost Mark....because of my hatred of the CMC cutie marks

Good to see you're finally coming around to thinking that episode is over-hated and should not be as hated :orly:

Count me in on the "28 Pranks Later" boat. It's always been a fun episode and I never saw Rainbow's character regressing, she's just wants to have some fun her way for a change. And besides when have they ever told her to stop pranking before? She's always had this side to her and this was the episode to deal with it and boy did they in an awesomely over the top way.

Speaking of regression, I've always felt "Every Little Thing She Does" is over-hated in that mindset of Starlight's character, but I've come to accept that unpopular opinion.

• Brohoof 1

"Fluttershy Leans In" I literally have no idea why people say it's one of the worst episodes in Season 7. The only arguments I've seen to that end have made no sense to me. In fact, I think it was actually the best episode in the season before "A Royal Problem."

"To Where and Back Again" Same sort of thing here. I honestly can't see why somebody would dislike this episode unless they hated Season 4's finale, unless it was for some stupid reason like "but Trixie" or something like that. Aside from who saved the day, there's very little different between the two to be quite honest.

"Somepony to Watch Over Me"  It's literally my favorite episode about Applejack and one of my top five of all time, but I've seen a surprising amount of hate for it.

Edited by Duzzki
-_-
  • Brohoof 4

Almost forgot 28 Pranks Later, which I think is very funny and has a neat atmosphere in the zombie part.

25 minutes ago, Duzzki said:

"Fluttershy Leans In" I literally have no idea why people say it's one of the worst episodes in Season 7. The only arguments I've seen to that end have made no sense to me. In fact, I think it was actually the best episode in the season before "A Royal Problem."

"To Where and Back Again" Same sort of thing here. I honestly can't see why somebody would dislike this episode unless they hated Season 4's finale, unless it was for some stupid reason like "but Trixie" or something like that. Aside from who saved the day, there's very little different between the two to be quite honest.

I just don’t find “Fluttershy Leans In” funny, and that leaves me with Fluttershy never doubting herself and new characters I don’t care about. Boring. 

I don’t see how the S4 and S6 finales are similar. They have wildly different paces, and I see major differences in tone and focus.

33 minutes ago, Duzzki said:

"Fluttershy Leans In" I literally have no idea why people say it's one of the worst episodes in Season 7. The only arguments I've seen to that end have made no sense to me. 

It would help me understand if you told me WHAT the arguments that make no sense to you are. Please tell me what they are.

It just personally didn't leave an impression on me except the fact that Flittershy opened up an animal sanctuary. That's the only complaint about it I have.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

Some people feel smarter when they criticize things, even though criticism is probably the easiest intellectual operation we can perform, right above breathing and distinguishing shapes.

This is not to say criticism doesn't have merit - as long as the critical explanation contains merit.

Slice of Life is a brilliant episode. I would welcome debate against any 'know-all' Brony who thinks any different. If you don't like it, fine, but that episode, properly understood, was an excellent creation.

Look Before you Sleep is another well written and creative episode. To me, it is one of the funniest episodes I have ever seen and I never get tired of watching it. It also involves the most important lessons - tolerance and humility.

Not much mention of the Flim Flam episodes - likely because they actually are among the worst there is. No thanks - Flim and Flam bother the hell out of me. 

22 hours ago, Jeric said:

No, because I don't care if a group hates an episode I like, or loves an episode I hate. I don't mind being an audience of one if need be since I require no validation, save my own conclusion, on that I enjoy or don't enjoy. 

You just don't get it man. :orly:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

It would help me understand if you told me WHAT the arguments that make no sense to you are. Please tell me what they are.

Basically the arguments I saw from @AlexanderThrond, if not less substantial. Even then, most of the time there's nothing AT ALL to the criticism of it. Basically most of what I';ve seen could be summed up by "It's bad because it is." Toned in such a way that it sounds like they didn't even actually watch the episode, and if they did just wrote it off too fast to actually make a proper, well-informed reaction.

6 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Almost forgot 28 Pranks Later, which I think is very funny and has a neat atmosphere in the zombie part.

I just don’t find “Fluttershy Leans In” funny, and that leaves me with Fluttershy never doubting herself and new characters I don’t care about. Boring. 

I don’t see how the S4 and S6 finales are similar. They have wildly different paces, and I see major differences in tone and focus.

I almost hated RD by the end of that episode. I found her to quite frankly be a complete jerk, and honestly it was probably the most of a jerk she'd ever been. Pranks that cause people to turn into ruthless zombies aren't that funny to me. 

Not much of a reason for it to be hated, is that?

I don't see what you're seeing at all.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, FirePuppy said:

Literally, any episode that focuses on Pinkie Pie and/or Fluttershy, like Putting Your Hoof Down and Flutter Brutter.

Why do almost all your posts advocate/convey that you're no longer interested in seeing episodes by the rest of the Mane Six who aren't Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy because they have, finished their arcs, so to speak? There are plenty of episodes starring Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy that are well-received.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix

6 minutes ago, ShadowPhoenix said:

Why do almost all your posts advocate/convey that you're no longer interested in seeing episodes by the rest of the Mane Six who aren't Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy because they have, finished their arcs, so to speak? There are plenty of episodes starring Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy that are well-received.

Well, I don't really think that way anymore because after thinking about it over upon seeing what's been leaked, all I'm hoping for now is at least just one more episode focusing on these two ponies before the show ends, but nothing else. Besides, it'll only take up ONE episode out of 26 in a season, which is just under 4%.

3 minutes ago, Duzzki said:

Not much of a reason for it to be hated, is that?

I don’t know, I just disliked watching it. I was looking forward to it based on the synopsis, but the narrative arc is completely flat. Fluttershy is never wrong, the experts are never right, there’s no reason for anyone to doubt anything, and it’s not terribly humorous. Feels to me like a waste of time.

6 minutes ago, Duzzki said:

I don't see what you're seeing at all.

I love both episodes, but “Twilight’s Kingdom” is slower, cuts to its villain more often, and climaxes with an action scene. “To Where and Back Again” is more vague (mane six captured), more humorous, never cuts to its villain, and doesn’t have much action. 

In my opinion, EVERY episode, even the so-called "worst" episodes, has at least one moment that was worth seeing. 

Examples:

Swarm of the Century: The methods of trying to get rid of the Parasprites, even though they totally backfire

Dragon Quest: Spike denying Garble's order to smash the Phoenix egg

Spike at your Service: Much like Spike said, The Mane 6's attempt of a fake Timberwolf attack was mostly good except for the lack of a real Timberwolf's stench!

Rainbow Falls: The way Rainbow fakes being injured is delivered in a ridiculously funny way. "I hurt my hooof!" line had me ROFL!

Princess Spike: Sleepy Twilight "Just put the hay in the apple and eat the candle"

28 Pranks Later: The way Rarity and Applejack say their lines as they turn into cookie-craving zombies

Hard to Say Anything: I actually love Feather Bangs song. It would have worked if it was sung  to someone who would want to be with him, like me. Sugar Belle didn't really like his song, but he can have me while she gets Big Mac. So everyone would win.

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Duzzki said:

Basically most of what I';ve seen could be summed up by "It's bad because it is." Toned in such a way that it sounds like they didn't even actually watch the episode, and if they did just wrote it off too fast to actually make a proper, well-informed reaction.

Here is what I got from the underwhelming episode. The biggest thing for me is the "I was right all along mentality" If you want to make a character be in the right, then they are NOT the oned learning and reiterating the lesson. It worked in SPCS6000 because the Flim Flam bros are the audience's portrayal of the lesson. If you want to make Futtershy learn a lesson than make her struggle. Make these experts come back and doubt that she could do it. That is the problem, the experts have no depth because the episode thinks it's painting them in the wrong when really it's just flatly following their character guidelines. 

She tells Hard Hat, build a sanctuary...that's it! How is he supposed to know what to build if he's never done it before. She tells Dandy Grandeur decorate it but how and why, he's an intertior designer what interior is there in this sanctuary. She tells Wranger give the animals a place stay and she does...in cages because that's her job that's why you hire her for! Fluttershy is telling these ponies not to do their jobs with little more instruction than don't do this but then how do they do it with no further plan?

Big Daddy McColt made sense that he could do this without much planning as we saw in the previous episode his community cares for the animals and their ancestors all built things from scratch. It's even more insulting when Fluttershy's mindset on the whole experts vs. her deal is "I'm the expert on animals so I should be the one to do this" Then why didn't you do that from the start! Why did you hire ponies who you know aren't experts in the field you're working in. I don't ask my friend the carpenter to help me with taking care of my dog just because he's built some me dog houses before. You don't get to blame thee expert for doing something they don't know how to do

If they really wanted to keep these characters and the lesson there was such an easy solution. Have Fluttershy reject their help initially and begin work on the santuary. Show her start to struggle and then have Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack one by one bring their experts by to help. The experts off drastic changes and put down the decisions she's making not because they're rude to her but because that's how they would do it. They begin to overwhelm her with criticisms and that's when she "leans in" and asserts her dream and her expertise. But that is also when she realizes that maybe she could use some help but from an expert in her field. Now the follow your dreams moral makes sense. She actually struggled to make her dream a reality and prove to those against it that she knew what she was doing, not because those against it were horrible to her but because they didn't approach the situation they same way she did. The episode can even end with the experts coming back and commenting on how nice the end result is and agreeing that she did know what she was doing.

There you are that's my take on the bland episode, bland because of no conflict and bland for flat characters that contribute nothing in the end because there was no real struggle. Is it the worst episode? No in that sense it's overhated and completely harmless. But it's extremely forgettable and leaves so much more to be desired to make me feel for all the characters involved. Truthfully I only cared about Dr. Fauna at least she struggled and now has her life back in order.

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, KH7672 said:

Here is what I got from the underwhelming episode. The biggest thing for me is the "I was right all along mentality" If you want to make a character be in the right, then they are NOT the oned learning and reiterating the lesson. It worked in SPCS6000 because the Flim Flam bros are the audience's portrayal of the lesson. If you want to make Futtershy learn a lesson than make her struggle. Make these experts come back and doubt that she could do it. That is the problem, the experts have no depth because the episode thinks it's painting them in the wrong when really it's just flatly following their character guidelines. 

She tells Hard Hat, build a sanctuary...that's it! How is he supposed to know what to build if he's never done it before. She tells Dandy Grandeur decorate it but how and why, he's an intertior designer what interior is there in this sanctuary. She tells Wranger give the animals a place stay and she does...in cages because that's her job that's why you hire her for! Fluttershy is telling these ponies not to do their jobs with little more instruction than don't do this but then how do they do it with no further plan?

Big Daddy McColt made sense that he could do this without much planning as we saw in the previous episode his community cares for the animals and their ancestors all built things from scratch. It's even more insulting when Fluttershy's mindset on the whole experts vs. her deal is "I'm the expert on animals so I should be the one to do this" Then why didn't you do that from the start! Why did you hire ponies who you know aren't experts in the field you're working in. I don't ask my friend the carpenter to help me with taking care of my dog just because he's built some me dog houses before. You don't get to blame thee expert for doing something they don't know how to do

If they really wanted to keep these characters and the lesson there was such an easy solution. Have Fluttershy reject their help initially and begin work on the santuary. Show her start to struggle and then have Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack one by one bring their experts by to help. The experts off drastic changes and put down the decisions she's making not because they're rude to her but because that's how they would do it. They begin to overwhelm her with criticisms and that's when she "leans in" and asserts her dream and her expertise. But that is also when she realizes that maybe she could use some help but from an expert in her field. Now the follow your dreams moral makes sense. She actually struggled to make her dream a reality and prove to those against it that she knew what she was doing, not because those against it were horrible to her but because they didn't approach the situation they same way she did. The episode can even end with the experts coming back and commenting on how nice the end result is and agreeing that she did know what she was doing.

There you are that's my take on the bland episode, bland because of no conflict and bland for flat characters that contribute nothing in the end because there was no real struggle. Is it the worst episode? No in that sense it's overhated and completely harmless. But it's extremely forgettable and leaves so much more to be desired to make me feel for all the characters involved. Truthfully I only cared about Dr. Fauna at least she struggled and now has her life back in order.

I'm going to elbow drop on this also, two of the three experts being the builder and interior designer were unwanted having their time wasted. She wanted to make it outdoors and the actual expert Fluttershy needed to look for was a landscaper.

Fluttershy handling with the experts, also damaged the relationship between the experts and the three Mane ponies that suggested them.

This episode is like the opposite to Suited For Success.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

-Flutter Brutter: I understand why Zephyr was strongly disliked, but a good difference for his behavior is not gratuitous, nor entirely justified. It was just something to relate to

-The Crystaling: I don't mind a premiere with not so high stakes as we are used to, but it was overall fun. And I think McFlurry was over hated as well, as if expecting a very deep character from a baby (good thing A Flurry of Emotions gave that cute filly some character) 

-Equestria Games: I understand why the let down, that was an episode that was built-up for a while, but we got an average Spike episode. The episode itself ain't bad, but it's build up it was what really hurt it

-Slice of Life: It's a milestone celebration episode, so in terms of dept, it wasn't supposed to have high expectations. I loved some of the fandom jokes here and there though

-Newbie Dash: Many have a tunnel vision of "Wonderbolts are jerks again". While it was true the first time, they didn't called her with malice afterwards and the times she was reprimanded, was out because of her performance. NOT TO MENTION THEY'VE EXPLAINED THEIR NICKNAME CALLING MID EPISODE

-To Where and Back Again: Most of the reasons I read why this episode suck are: Starlight is there, worst season finale ever :dry: . This was one of the strongest season finales, not much of the action and stuff, but because of the unexpectedly strong chemistry between the characters

-The Cutie Re-Mark: It was a bit of a stepdown compared to the previous season finale, but I still thing it can stand on it's own legs. I think the problems it has are having too much, showing too little, and Starlight's motivation of villainy felt pretty weak, but I think it's a solid season finale 

• Brohoof 3

On 12/26/2017 at 7:49 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

Another episode I just thought of is my favorite episode from the 1st Season "Look Before You Sleep" which, a lot of people hate for being "Too girly."

People say that Look Before You Sleep is bad because it's "too girly?"

I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in that.

• Brohoof 1

On 12/28/2017 at 10:49 AM, KH7672 said:

The impression I got was that these "experts" simply believed they knew better than her, which simply made me wonder how they even kept their jobs if they weren't willing to listen. I don't recall if Fluttershy communicated her desires all that well to begin with, but surely the right thing to do would be to ask for more instructions. 

• Brohoof 1

On 12/28/2017 at 12:15 PM, WiiGuy2014 said:

In my opinion, EVERY episode, even the so-called "worst" episodes, has at least one moment that was worth seeing. 

Examples:

Swarm of the Century: The methods of trying to get rid of the Parasprites, even though they totally backfire

Dragon Quest: Spike denying Garble's order to smash the Phoenix egg

Spike at your Service: Much like Spike said, The Mane 6's attempt of a fake Timberwolf attack was mostly good except for the lack of a real Timberwolf's stench!

Rainbow Falls: The way Rainbow fakes being injured is delivered in a ridiculously funny way. "I hurt my hooof!" line had me ROFL!

Princess Spike: Sleepy Twilight "Just put the hay in the apple and eat the candle"

28 Pranks Later: The way Rarity and Applejack say their lines as they turn into cookie-craving zombies

Hard to Say Anything: I actually love Feather Bangs song. It would have worked if it was sung  to someone who would want to be with him, like me. Sugar Belle didn't really like his song, but he can have me while she gets Big Mac. So everyone would win.

Owl's Well That Ends Well: Out of the entire episode the most stand out is Spike taking on a classic mustache twirling villain and the ridiculous idea that he actually believed he could trick Twilight Sparkle with a fake kill.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, MAIKUN said:

My choice would be Crusaders of the Lost Mark....because of my hatred of the CMC cutie marks

I don't think you understand what the term 'over-hated' means.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:00 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I don’t know, I just disliked watching it. I was looking forward to it based on the synopsis, but the narrative arc is completely flat. Fluttershy is never wrong, the experts are never right, there’s no reason for anyone to doubt anything, and it’s not terribly humorous. Feels to me like a waste of time.

I love both episodes, but “Twilight’s Kingdom” is slower, cuts to its villain more often, and climaxes with an action scene. “To Where and Back Again” is more vague (mane six captured), more humorous, never cuts to its villain, and doesn’t have much action. 

Personally, I think it would be important to know how the Mane 6 were captured. Chrysalis could at least give a hint.

38 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

I don't think you understand what the term 'over-hated' means.

Personally, I think it would be important to know how the Mane 6 were captured. Chrysalis could at least give a hint.

Personally, I think the Crystal Empire Royals were captured like this:

Any Evil Changeling would have replaced Shining Armor first. (How? I personally leave that detail a mystery) As the Real Cadance was handing the real Flurry over to her "husband"...well remember how I believed Flurry could have the ability to sense a pony's intentions? After all, she could sense Thorax was a good one both in and out of disguise. So here, as she's being handed over, she sensed her father was an imposter and cried. Sadly, a moment of Cadance wondering what's wrong with Flurry gave the disguised Changelings in the room the element of surprise, leading to them capturing the Family.

Sunburst saw everything from the Hallway and ran to get Thorax. He of course told him to get Princess Twilight's help. We know the rest.

Does that at least give some idea how the Changelings could have pulled off the capture, @heavens-champion?

Edited by WiiGuy2014

3 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Personally, I think the Crystal Empire Royals were captured like this:

Any Evil Changeling would have replaced Shining Armor first. (How? I personally leave that detail a mystery) As the Real Cadance was handing the real Flurry over to her "husband"...well remember how I believed Flurry could have the ability to sense a pony's intentions? After all, she could sense Thorax was a good one both in and out of disguise. So here, as she's being handed over, she sensed her father was an imposter and cried. Sadly, a moment of Cadance wondering what's wrong with Flurry gave the disguised Changelings in the room the element of surprise, leading to them capturing the Family.

Sunburst saw everything from the Hallway and ran to get Thorax. He of course told him to get Princess Twilight's help. We know the rest.

Does that at least give some idea how the Changelings could have pulled off the capture, @heavens-champion?

For Shining Armor and Cadence, at least.

• Brohoof 1