Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If any of FIM's season premeires/finales were remade into movies, would they win awards?

KillerKingBakudan

I've seen someone suggest in another thread that the only way the MLP movie could have truly drawn in new fans was if it was a remake of FIM's pilot episode. The existing fanbase might not have been too pleased with that, but honestly.... I think I'd have been all for it. No matter what you thought of the 2017 movie personally, one thing we should all agree on is that it wasn't an ideal introduction to the franchise.

So let's say that Hasbro did in fact take the pilot, and improve on it in areas where the original was lacking. And animate it in Toon Boom on top of it. Furthermore, let's say they were to repeat this trend with the other season premieres and finales. Do you think this would have been more successful in the long run? Would there have been a resurgence of adult fans?

But moreover, do you think that these key episodes, if remade into movies, would have had potential to win Oscars or other notable awards? Or do you think the general stigma against MLP would have kept people from giving them a chance?

Edited by KillerKingBakudan

Counterfactual history of MLP movie? Now this is something, a change to redeem past sins and start with a clean slate, :P 

For many, movie was disappointment, myself included, because it didn't quite feel like it was connected with the tv-show. I doubt that in upcoming season/s ponies will make any references to events or characters presented in the movie. As you said, this probably wasn't the best possible way to handle franchise or try to revive its fanbase.

If Hasbro would choose to extend season premieres and finales to full lenght films, they should be highly discreet towards original episodes. After all, we already know what will happen and there is not so much room for new adaptations.  If the outcome would differ too conspicuously from original, us lore nerds would presumably start toxic pony-civil war... There's great potential in these kinds of films, but some severe downsides too if not handled appropriately.

But still, I would be more than happy to give these movies a fair change!

• Brohoof 1

No because of the stigma against MLP in the first place. If we lived in an unbiased world I would say Twilights Kingdom or the Cutie Re-mark would win awards.

The movie we got was great. It was at least on par with some of the "disney classics" people are so attached to.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

No because of the stigma against MLP in the first place. If we lived in an unbiased world I would say Twilights Kingdom or the Cutie Re-mark would win awards.

The movie we got was great. It was at least on par with some of the "disney classics" people are so attached to.

No it wasn't. It's not even in the same league. Ask all the sleeping parents in the theatre if it was because of stigma or a boring movie?

Just now, PiratePony said:

No it wasn't. It's not even in the same league. Ask all the sleeping parents in the theatre if it was because of stigma or a boring movie?

Well, I talked to many people in my theater and they enjoyed it, wow anecdotal evidence sure is smart huh!

Maybe I should ask the sleeping adults in my class why they didn't like The Lion King. Because they slept...

Sorry I will try not to impose on your objectively true opinion again.

3 minutes ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

Maybe. Just not for newcomers though.

Most people I talked with enjoyed the movie, didn't love it but thought it was a fun ride. Much like many people I talk to who watch old Disney movies, the ones not bonded to them through childlike nostalgia.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, PiratePony said:

League? It's not even in the same planet as something from Disney. 

Edited by VG_Addict

11 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

League? It's not even in the same planet as something from Disney. 

Disney is one of the oldest mastodons in the film industry, and have just got larger in these reasent years by buing out competion like Lucasfilms. Compairing Hasbro's toy commercial to Disney's movies is not quite fair, considering vast difference in the budjets of these productions.

MLP Movie had it's own values and I enjoyed the songs particulary. These are matters of taste ^_^

I liked the MLP Movie, but to constantly see people put it on the same pedestal as Disney, both before and after the movie came out, is completely asinine

Edited by Windy Whistles
  • Brohoof 5

20 minutes ago, Windy Whistles said:

I liked the MLP Movie, but to constantly see people put it on the same pedestal as Disney, both before and after the movie, is completely asinine

Agreed.

I love Disney AND MLP.  But let's face it: MLP's current generation has been around for 7+ years. Compare that to Disney's 80+ years (if you start counting from Snow White, 95 if you start counting from when the Disney Bros. Studios originally started in 1923).

It's greatly unfair to the Pony Movie to expect to better than Disney that just simply had more experience and a bigger budget. Sure it was partly made to sell toys, but I enjoyed it just for being like a fun road trip with action, songs, characters of different races met along the way and so forth...

And hey, this movie also gave some fanfic and fan art fuel for the fans to potentially add to the community.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

A remake of the pilot with these additions.

• Include an expansion of Twilight's time in Canterlot before going to Ponyville with Moondancer's reaction when getting dissed by Twilight Sparkle.
  • Keep Twilight meeting the Mane 5 but also include introducing a few other characters she comes across.
  • Nightmare Moon gets a song number in when she appears in front of the ponies before leaving.
  • A major rework needed would be the time between the Nightmare Moon appears to being confronted at the castle of the two sisters with the elements of harmony. Something as to why Nightmare Moon just throws these obstacles in their way rather than confront them and blast them.
Edited by Singe

45 minutes ago, Windy Whistles said:

I liked the MLP Movie, but to constantly see people put it on the same pedestal as Disney, both before and after the movie came out, is completely asinine

It is asinine to not think Disney movies are god tier legendary films?
Sorry, will fix my opinion immediately

24 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Agreed.

I love Disney AND MLP.  But let's face it: MLP's current generation has been around for 7+ years. Compare that to Disney's 80+ years (if you start counting from Snow White, 95 if you start counting from when the Disney Bros. Studios originally started in 1923).

That is completely irrelevant to the personal enjoyment of said movies.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, if MLP wasn't directly aimed at little girls, then yeah I do think some of the show's premiers/finales would be pretty successful when it comes to sales and overall general satisfaction with the final product. However, because MLP is technically a little girls brand, I would think if they did remake the season premiers/finales into movies they probably would do rather sloppy in the box office, though it may increase toy sales of certain characters featured in said premiere/finale. 

16 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

That is completely irrelevant to the personal enjoyment of said movies.

Don't get me wrong. I was pointing out how it's unfair to try to compare them to Disney like MLP is supposed to be BETTER than Disney, WHICH is NOT my original point. Also, you INTENTIONALLY left out the last few sentences in my post:

41 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Sure it was partly made to sell toys, but I enjoyed it just for being like a fun road trip with action, songs, characters of different races met along the way and so forth...

And hey, this movie also gave some fanfic and fan art fuel for the fans to potentially add to the community.

I very clearly was trying to say that the MLP Stuff is still Amazing despite not having as much notoriety as Disney.

@Ryanmahaffe

Your point in the quote above is still essentially what I WAS trying to say: Personal Enjoyment of said Movies is much more important.

I don't like it when people mis-read me like this... It makes me feel really hurt when people completely missed my point! :(

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Mentions
  • Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Don't get me wrong. I was pointing out how it's unfair to try to compare them to Disney like MLP is supposed to be BETTER than Disney, WHICH is NOT my original point. Also, you INTENTIONALLY left out the last few sentences in my post:

I very clearly was trying to say that the MLP Stuff is still Amazing despite not having as much notoriety as Disney.

@Ryanmahaffe

Your point in the quote above is still essentially what I WAS trying to say: Personal Enjoyment of said Movies is much more important.

I don't like it when people mis-read me like this... It makes me feel really hurt when people completely missed my point! :(

Sorry if it came across as if I was ignoring what you said, that particular line caught my eye as I didn't see it as very important. I wasn't dismissing the rest, just not addressing it

Just now, Ryanmahaffe said:

Sorry if it came across as if I was ignoring what you said, that particular line caught my eye as I didn't see it as very important. I wasn't dismissing the rest, just not addressing it

Apology Accepted. (Disregard the PM)

On ‎18‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 11:43 AM, KillerKingBakudan said:

So let's say that Hasbro did in fact take the pilot, and improve on it in areas where the original was lacking. And animate it in Toon Boom on top of it. Furthermore, let's say they were to repeat this trend with the other season premieres and finales. Do you think this would have been more successful in the long run? Would there have been a resurgence of adult fans?

If Hasbro would have released their first premiere/finale movie in the same timetable than 2017 movie, I would have to argue that they would have been as late as was the case with current movie. G4 is coming to it's lifespans end and fanbase have been reduced year after year. As more time passes, it's constantly harder to keep your franchise interesting and fresh. Show should have had it's first major movie years ago when hypetrain was still going strong, bronies were new and shocking and pony-memes were all around the internet.

Clearly Hasbro saw an opportunity to cash in, but what they did? Equestria girls. :okiedokieloki: Once again, your have right to your own opinion of these movies. I personally don't care about them and all I can see is lost possibility. First movie came out 2013, next 2014 and rest three or so 2015-2017 straight to DVD. One more is going to be released this year.

Granted, EG aren't Toon Boom. But I can't help wondering the outcome if Hasbro would have sold their barbie-dolls under another tittle and concentrated all that time, money and resources to these pony(tv ?)movies.

I quite enjoyed the hell out of the film, and my original expectations were modest. I expected a cute film that touched on the things I like about the characters in a rather standard fare adventure. I got something a bit more than that, so I'm really pleased. When I rated the film I did two ratings ... as a Pony story and as a film. One was higher than the other for a reason. The film wasn't on par with Disney and Pixar unless you maybe toss in their less stellar outings. In the film forum I said over and over and over and over again that it's ridiculous to assume that this will be up there with Lion King or Inside Out, both in quality and box office. 

It was great pony and a passable film. I'm ok with that, and there is nothing wrong with being good or ok. And no, a repackaged FiM finale or premier story would not have the emotional weight or gravitas of the best theatrical films in animation. This is My Little Pony, it doesn't need to be Lion King, and you risk losing some of it's charm if you try too hard to make it like something it isn't. 

• Brohoof 1

You’d probably need to add more personal stakes to most of them. The pilot, in particular, is a fun version of a simple adventure, but the stakes for any individual character are low. Its main priority is setting up the show.

Only around season 4 did two-parters really build up such stakes, and of those, “Twilight’s Kingdom” and “The Crystalling” stand-alone enough, “The Cutie Map” has too much mythology to accept, “To Where And Back Again” is too simple, and in my opinion the rest aren’t good enough. 

Maybe “Twilight’s Kingdom,” “The Crystalling,” or the Pilot could get somewhere, but they’d need to be altered to the point of being essentially a reboot. I think the movie could have been better, however, had it introduced the characters better and focused less on busy set-pieces. Like the movie or not, it didn’t represent the show’s character-driven storytelling or gentle tone particularly well, and it could have done that better.

Just remade a better version of S1 premiere is good enough, make Nightmare Moon more threatning like her S4 premiere counter-part, introduce the mane 6 properly and let them have their spotlight, introduced the Canterlot (like the movie) then introduce Ponyville (mane characters home), then for the sake of new audiences, INTRODUCE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY. If you think it isnt awesome enough, let Nightmare Moon invade Canterlot by her Bat Ponies army, the eternal night, the battle of Sun & Moon, and 'Taste the Rainbow' moments with flashy effects, then we got a great movie without some unnecessary world-building that overwhelm the new audiences and enjoyable for old fan who hated S1 premiere... it is enough for me.

Premiere/finale movie would be little short of original content and making an entire movie using same assets, characters, places and plottwists would be kinda grindy. As Jeric said above:

17 hours ago, Jeric said:

a repackaged FiM finale or premier story would not have the emotional weight or gravitas of the best theatrical films in animation.

It's hard to think Hasbro never publishing this kind of movie. However, this could be something that all these talented fans and content creators could be able to pull off.

• Brohoof 1