Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you want to see a blockbuster Pony movie or series?

Plonkett

I saw this kind of thread in another forum and thought I would mention it here.

How would you like to see a Hollywood style blockbuster Pony movie or series that would be like as if it was made by Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, or Michael Bay, and having music as if it was done by the likes of John Williams, James Horner, or Hans Zimmer, with a budget so high that it would make the actual MLP movie look like a cheap Flash cartoon? Would you be down for that?

Edited by vgmaster9

You mean like the live-action Transformers movies? Ehh... I'm not sure. I'm not sure the MLP franchise would really work like that. Well, the composers mentioned in the OP would be awesome. But I don't think I want a huge epic pony movie.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 2

Steven Spielberg? I would watch that in a heartbeat. He got the magic touch. Now music, I'm not too picky on. Though I do have this fantasy of Adam Young writing and producing a song for a My Little Pony movie. It clicks in my head: a lot of his songs have a wondrous, magical, awe-inspiring tone. He's made music for animated movies in the past. And though he doesn't interact with his fans online as much as he did back in his MySpace days, given the Owl City PMVs out there, I would be surprised if he wasn't aware of the show, at the very least.

Ah, but I dream.

Live action probably wouldn't work with MLP as that would involve using CGI for the ponies or, heaven forbid, having them look like real horses. No, I would prefer to have it fully animated or entirely in CGI--the latter needs to be the best CGI and not the cheap kind--with someone like Spielberg being the director. Knowing his work over the years, he is sure to come up with something spectacular provided that Hasbro gives him what he needs to make it work.

9 hours ago, Jeric said:

Live action?

tumblr_oksd64DiIP1w0433po1_500.gif

Bad idea. Really really bad idea. Also not interested and wouldn't even buy a ticket to that.

8 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Live action probably wouldn't work with MLP as that would involve using CGI for the ponies or, heaven forbid, having them look like real horses. No, I would prefer to have it fully animated or entirely in CGI--the latter needs to be the best CGI and not the cheap kind--with someone like Spielberg being the director. Knowing his work over the years, he is sure to come up with something spectacular provided that Hasbro gives him what he needs to make it work.

Umm, I never said live action. What I meant was an animated film that acts like a blockbuster film. You know those large scale fanfics with engaging storylines? Stuff like that?

11 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

Umm, I never said live action. What I meant was an animated film that acts like a blockbuster film. You know those large scale fanfics with engaging storylines? Stuff like that?

Ok then Smarty McSmarty Pants, how is this any different than the plethora of threads wanting the a pony animated film to be Pixar or Disney? You also stated blockbuster ... that has a connotation of financial success. Check the forum, this is My Little Pony stuff. It has a built in handicap. You stated Spielberg and big budget ... let's see what that man had a hand in ... 

An American Tail

The Land Before Time

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

Balto

Wakko's Wish

The Adventures of Tintin

While I enjoy most of these to some degree, only two of them represent excellence and the greater his influence in an animated project, the more meh it was. How many of those were big budget? Just saying ... we are talking about animation here. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Jeric said:

Ok then Smarty McSmarty Pants, how is this any different than the plethora of threads wanting the a pony animated film to be Pixar or Disney? You also stated blockbuster ... that has a connotation of financial success. Check the forum, this is My Little Pony stuff. It has a built in handicap. You stated Spielberg and big budget ... let's see what that man had a hand in ... 

An American Tail

The Land Before Time

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

Balto

Wakko's Wish

The Adventures of Tintin

While I enjoy most of these to some degree, only two of them represent excellence and the greater his influence in an animated project, the more meh it was. How many of those were big budget? Just saying ... we are talking about animation here. 

It doesn't much all to do with financial success, but more about having a story that feels like a major theatrical live-action Summer release.

As for the Spielberg mention, I was just naming an example. It could just be made by someone who's highly influenced from big time filmmakers of the like. Same for the film composer, being influenced by epic film scorers like I mentioned and companies like Immediate Music and Two Steps From Hell.

Edited by vgmaster9

If it was traditional animation then I might be interested... a nice huge budget could give them a lot of room to do things... of course the larger the budget and the bigger the scope of the film, the more likely the film will lose everything that makes people love MLP in the first place and just become an overpriced shell of what people want.

And let's be honest here, if it did get a massive budget and someone plunked down an "epic" script.. the movie would be going heavy CG or live action, and as Jeric pointed out that would be a pile of horse dung no matter who helmed it.  

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

Michael Bay

I don't think that movie about exploding ponies would appeal to audience. Cheap jokes aside, I get what you meant. Blockbuster movie could be safer road to pick.

But I honestly think that 2017 movie was somewhat on the right track and had great potential even on it's existing budget and animation. Ingredients for a great pony movie were all there, but makers of the film approached this thing from slightly wrong angle. Problem wasn't really that there were shortage of talented people on the crew, but that they were trying to tell wrong story allogether. They aimed for epic adventures, fighting evil with high stakes and interesting far away places crowded with colorful characters, whereas the show is all about being friendly and helping others. Ponies aren't really that flashy and blockbuster-y to start with... Adding some superstar director with high self-esteem and strong personal vision is not an automatic solution or salvation.

When it comes to composing music to pony film, I can't see anyone else fitting those boots better than Daniel Ingran. John Williams is a genious and demi-god, but maybe wrong man for this particular movie...

Edited by Divine plywood

2 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

It doesn't much all to do with financial success

Yeah, no. You are wrong. It means commercial success. Or a big movie that has financial success. Whatever you personally associated with connection with blockbuster would require more modifiers on your sentence since it still isn't a word co-opted by social types. Shit man, did you just start typing or did you go, "Hm maybe I've used the word wrong all this time." Nice VG, but you still swing and miss. Here is the key phrase of definition. 

a thing of great power or size, in particular a movie, book, or other product that is a great commercial success.

• 2 weeks later...

If James Cameron would have done it, then it would have been far better one compared to Bayponies. Or it could end up like Battleship, highly criticised for Hollywood running out of ideas.