spoiler What's so bad about Season 3?

Unity

So I just finished and I can't see why everybody hated S3.

Could you guys explain why you think S3 was so bad

Also, what makes a Generation in terms of the show.

Untitled.png

Short+Divisive finale+ Twilicorn and Equestria Girls drama+No Rarity episode.

Personally I think it gets way too much hate though, way more than it deserves. It was still a good run, with 3 of my favorite episodes in the entire show(Sleepless In Ponyville, Wonderbolts Academy and Apple Family Reunion). I'd gladly take it over Season 6, and even 1 and 2

• Brohoof 8

It's not a bad season. Heck, it introduced my favorite character of the entire series, and had a few good, even terrific episodes, including the return of Trixie since S1. For most, the 13 episode run and the Twilicorn stuff kinda turned off a lot of people; tho.

• Brohoof 5

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

12 minutes ago, Windy Whistles said:

Short+Divisive finale+ Twilicorn and Equestria Girls drama+No Rarity episode.

Personally I think it gets way too much hate though, way more than it deserves. It was still a good run, with 3 of my favorite episodes in the entire show(Sleepless In Ponyville, Wonderbolts Academy and Apple Family Reunion). I'd gladly take it over Season 6, and even 1 and 2

Just now, PathfinderCS said:

It's not a bad season. Heck, it introduced my favorite character of the entire series, and had a few good, even terrific episodes, including the return of Trixie since S1. For most, the 13 episode run and the Twilicorn stuff kinda turned off a lot of people; tho.

Am I the only one who liked how Twilight's Alicorn-a-fication was executed? Why did everyone get so mad?

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience

double_diamond_signature_by_kyoshithebrony-dc1kzot.png.2d17db3e5b4305320d4d5f595d1320db.png

We are spiritual beings having a human experience | signature by @Kyoshi

Just now, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Am I the only one who liked how Twilight's Alicorn-a-fication was executed? Why did everyone get so mad?

Oh I loved it myself, I'm just saying that's one of the main reasons why people are so divisive on it

• Brohoof 5

I never understood the hate for it either. It had the most consistent quality of episodes out of all the seasons: none particularly good, but none particularly bad. I didn't really like the premier (tried too hard to be epic) or finale (too rushed, poorly explained, and full of cringeworthy songs - the only good ones, in my opinion, were I've Got to Find a Way and Celestia's Ballad), but the rest of the season was decent. I don't see any reason for loving the season, but also no reason for hating it either. If I was to rank the seasons without regard for the premiers and finales, I'd place it higher than 4 and 6 (and below the others) - but factoring in the premiers and finales, only higher than 6.

Edited by Awkward Segway
  • Brohoof 1

So much Pony, so little time.

Mainly the length is what people take issue with. It was Hasbro's attempt to take MLP into syndication, as the show would've had 65 episodes, the standard amount to send to other channels for a syndication broadcast. But look at how well that turned out. Following S3, we had the long hiatus of 9 months, which caused some of the fanbase to leave.

4 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Just now, Windy Whistles said:

Oh I loved it myself, I'm just saying that's one of the main reasons why people are so divisive on it

I think most peoples issue wasn't just that Twi became an alicorn, but more of how it was all revealed. Details of Twi's ascension and the last episode were all leaked weeks in advance. Had everything been kept under wraps, I think it would've been taken in better stride. 

• Brohoof 2

DENIMVENOM.jpg.044401b86728c9eacc741b8d13926f4e.jpg

I used to joke that it's not Sombra's wasted potential nor Twilight becoming an Alicorn that made me upset. It's the fact there's only 13 instead of 26 episodes. 

Honestly, they're just weaker in comparison to the other seasons, in my opinion. 

A Dragon as big as his love for Disney and has his head in the clouds literally and figuratively

948524045_DragonWillGuideBannerbyWifeofHawks.jpg.d26404e241135b8f330fd49c3a2858d9.jpg 

Ask Will Guide | Signature by Wife of Hawks | WiiGuy2014’s OCs

15 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Following S3, we had the long hiatus of 9 months, which caused some of the fanbase to leave.

That was kinda good for me since, I was new to the fandom & it gave me time to rewatch episodes to see which moments/characters

I didn't like, as well as learn more about both MLP & the fandom in general. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 4

IMG_0073.jpeg.23b4b3ca0c687c68e46b517e4fdbe26a.jpeg

I personally think of season three as one of the strongest seasons despite it being half the length of the others--you can thank syndication for that. Not only did season three have one of my favourite Discord episodes, it also has the first episode of the Equestria Games saga that would become apparent in season four. Games Ponies Play is one of my favourite episodes and I used to watch it frequently until season four began.

• Brohoof 3

rainbowfalls_sig.png.9f23ec82e216af1315704914cd3052b1.png

I don't hate S3 (it was the first season I actually saw on its first run), but it's lower on my list. Here's why:

1+2 (TCE): I loved the premiere, but many don't because Celestia is written strange (unless she was sure of the outcome all along) and Sombra was all bark and no bite. Bonus points for Spike, though - his best appearance for this particular season is in the premiere. (Which is also bad in a way.)

3 (TMPP): Kinda fun, but kinda annoying. too. Gets better at the end once you feel bad for Pinkie. Also - MASS MURDER! XD

4 (OBA): I thought it was OK, but it's painful to watch the CMC get bullied like that. =P

5 (MD): I liked this Trixie redux a lot, so no complaints from me.

6 (SiP): I liked this one a lot as well, and it was the start of the Luna dreamwatcher canon.

7 (WA): A strong story, but all the drama between RD and the other characters makes it an uncomfortable watch for me. This was also the start of the sheen on the mythos of the WB starting to rub off, which may have annoyed some of their fans.

8 (AFR): Kinda boring.

9 (SaYS): Oh dear god, save me. D=  I wasn't even a Spike fan when I first saw this but even then I could tell he was getting trashed and knew from binge watching S1 and S2 just a few weeks earlier he was completely different here than he normally was.

10 (KCaFO): Discord's return was pretty good, not great but not bad.

11 (JFS): And here's the follow-up with Spike's second bad episode of the series, even though he has some nice scenes with the CMC. But him getting trashed for the sake of humor is no fun at all, even if he was technically in the wrong. I guess I should thank these two episodes in a way because I felt so bad for him after S3 and partway into S4 it led to me having unlimited sympathy for him - which led to him becoming my favorite character. But still, both of these episodes are hard to stomach.

12 (GPP): An OK episode, but it's a tired premise. I wish they had done something else with Ms. Harshwhinny other than have her getting lost and annoyed. She was used much better in "Flight to the Finish" and "Equestria Games" in S4.

13 (MMC): I actually love the finale with all of its great songs. It could have been a little longer but they did an amazing job squeezing all of that into the 22 minutes Hasbro allotted them. I also have no problems with alicorn Twilight, though I REALLY wish The Hub hadn't spoiled the surprise about her becoming a princess in their promos. =P

38 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

This was my main issue with Season 3 as well. :confused:

Spike being missing was one of my issues with S7, though I will concede he was used more often and to better effect in S7 than Rarity was in S3. She made up for it in S4, however, just like Spike will make up for S7 in S8. =)

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 2

MLPForums-Sig-Big-PostWings.png.ebb68bfa0f585530189d346fe5e6c812.png
Are you a Spike fan? Click on the image above for a compendium of nearly every Spike scene in the show! =D

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

That was kinda good for me since, I was new to the fandom & it gave me time to rewatch episodes to see which moments/characters

I didn't like, as well as learn more about both MLP & the fandom in general. 

Same here. Got into the show just after S2 finished airing. I used that time to rewatch the episodes, but the break between S3 & 4 was when I delved further into the fandom and it's culture. 

• Brohoof 2

I don't really think Season 3 is bad. But I don't think as many of the individual episodes are as memorable as those in other seasons. Plus, the season feels so short, since it's half as long as all the others. And, of course, Magical Mystery Cure is quite controversial. Some people just don't like alicorn Twilight in general, and some people think the episode could have been handled differently.

44 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

Also, what makes a Generation in terms of the show.

A "generation" refers to each series of pony toys that Hasbro has made. Each one differs slightly. For the 1st, 3rd, and 4th generations, Hasbro has made MLP cartoons. Currently, My Little Pony is in its 4th generation, which includes both the Friendship is Magic show and Equestria Girls.

Some people consider the 90s MLP cartoon My Little Pony Tales to be part of the 2nd generation, but that is false. The 1st generation toys hadn't been discontinued yet.

• Brohoof 2

img-39037-1-img-39037-1-img-39037-1-img-

Signature by Kyoshi

10 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Same here. Got into the show just after S2 finished airing. I used that time to rewatch the episodes, but the break between S3 & 4 was when I delved further into the fandom and it's culture. 

I started watching during the week "Just for Sidekicks" aired so, rushing to catch up to the latest episode was my goal at the time.

Rewatching Seasons 1, 2 & 3 over again did great things like making me a fan of Rarity & introducing me to MLP Forum

where I lurked to see if people shared my opinions on MLP:FiM.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Truffles said:

3 (TMPP): Kinda fun, but kinda annoying. too. Gets better at the end once you feel bad for Pinkie. Also - MASS MURDER! XD

I am so sick of the stupid "Twilight is a Murderer" argument in 2 Many Pinkies. She clearly said the clones were to be sent back to the Mirror Pool where they came from, with the risk of the Real Pinkie being sent into the Pool by mistake. No killing involved.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 2

A Dragon as big as his love for Disney and has his head in the clouds literally and figuratively

948524045_DragonWillGuideBannerbyWifeofHawks.jpg.d26404e241135b8f330fd49c3a2858d9.jpg 

Ask Will Guide | Signature by Wife of Hawks | WiiGuy2014’s OCs

9 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I started watching during the week "Just for Sidekicks" aired so, rushing to catch up to the latest episode was my goal at the time.

Rewatching Seasons 1, 2 & 3 over again did great things like making me a fan of Rarity & introducing me to MLP Forum

where I lurked to see if people shared my opinions on MLP:FiM.

The season opener was the first episode I watched live. I never did quite become a die hard fan of a single character. Still haven't. though re-watching the classics did help me respect them and their differences more.

I actually wouldn't join MLPForums until after Bronycon 2013, where I learned the place existed.

Still waiting on my special badge for those who signed up at the con. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

The season opener was the first episode I watched live. I never did quite become a die hard fan of a single character. Still haven't. though re-watching the classics did help me respect them and their differences more.

I actually wouldn't join MLPForums until after Bronycon 2013, where I learned the place existed.

Still waiting on my special badge for those who signed up at the con. 

1. One good thing about watching near the end of Season 3 was I wasn't involved in the "Alicorn Twilight Sparkle" drama that followed Season 3's Finale.

2. I didn't join MLPForums until August 2016 & that was mainly due to me feeling like my opinions wouldn't matter much to other people.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

1. One good thing about watching towards the end of Season 3 was I wasn't involved in the "Alicorn Twilight Sparkle" drama that followed Season 3's Finale.

2. I didn't join MLPFourms until August 2016 & that was mainly due to me feeling like my opinions wouldn't matter much to other people.

I wasn't all that miffed about it either. I actually liked the prospect. But the leaks pretty much took all the fun and hype out of it. 

Never really joined MLPF initially to post my opinions, for I too didn't lend that much weight to them. I just wanted a place to go after my old wrestling forum was on the decline and my usual polling forum was becoming an increasingly negative and hostile place. I was bored one day and still recovering from my Bronycon high, so I wanted to see what this place ahd to offer. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I thought it was too cringey

• Brohoof 1

Untitled.png

8 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I wasn't all that miffed about it either. I actually liked the prospect. But the leaks pretty much took all the fun and hype out of it. 

Never really joined MLPF initially to post my opinions, for I too didn't lend that much weight to them. I just wanted a place to go after my old wrestling forum was on the decline and my usual polling forum was becoming an increasingly negative and hostile place. I was bored one day and still recovering from my Bronycon high, so I wanted to see what this place ahd to offer. 

1. I was thrilled when Twiliight Sparkle became a Princess following MMC for two reasons:

• "Twilicorn" was my first big moment as a part of the the fandom.
  • Twilight Sparkle had been my favorite after watching "Lesson Zero" so, I was proud of her for reaching such a big moment in her life.

2. A big reason why I finally joined MLPForums was, I read your wrestling thread and thought:

"Finally, an intelligent group of wrestling fans!". The pony stuff was nice, too. :P

Edited by Sparklefan1234

I never had a problem with Twilight becoming an Alicorn, and I really didn't mind the first Equestria Girls movie when I first watched it, as I didn't join in until season 4 was nearly over, so the drama had kind of gone away a bit at that point.

Magical Mystery Cure still remains to me, as being one of my favorite episodes of the entire series, even if I do agree with the length issue.

Equestria Girls is still an ok movie, but I think the sequels did a much better job at showing what they wanted to do with it. The last 20 minutes are probably the weakest though.

• Brohoof 3

5982d329dba8e_SunsetShimmerSIG7StandardSize.png.7ee9d00d794bf9266e63e54d07ee0bbb.png.8667d6f0244da7f21392f5b642bab608.png

Thanks to @Kyoshi for this totally awesome signature!