spoiler What's so bad about Season 3?

Unity

5 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

1. I was thrilled when Twiliight Sparkle became a Princess following MMC for two reasons:

• "Twilicorn" was my first big moment as a part of the the fandom.
  • Twilight Sparkle had been my favorite after watching "Lesson Zero" so, I was proud of her for reaching such a big moment in her life.

2. A big reason why I finally joined MLPForums was, I read your wrestling thread and thought:

"Finally, an intelligent group of wrestling fans!". The pony stuff was nice, too. :P

That was indeed a proud moment for me too. And in a way, I think was for everypony else too. 

Hard to believe that wrestling thread is almost 3 years old. Hard to believe it took me a year and a half to post it. 

• Brohoof 2

I've always liked season 3, it is pretty decent all things considered. It just had the unfortunate circumstance of coming after the much beloved season 2 and it introduced the first massive change up to the show, which was guaranteed to cause division in the fandom no matter what. Quite a few people actually thought that Twilight's ascension was going to be the death of the show itself, so that probably made them dislike season 3 even more for leading up to that point. Those people were clearly wrong though.

Season 3 definitely has flaws, like some bad pacing and the finale feeling rushed beyond belief, but I don't think seasons 1 and 2 are perfect either.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Denim&Venom said:

That was indeed a proud moment for me too. And in a way, I think was for everypony else too. 

Hard to believe that wrestling thread is almost 3 years old. Hard to believe it took me a year and a half to post it. 

1. I think everyone is secretly happy about Twilight Sparkle becoming an Alicorn since, it allowed FiM to continue.

2. I'm glad I have a place to discuss wrestling where there isn't a bunch of fandom fighting going on in every post, Thank You.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

29 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

1. One good thing about watching near the end of Season 3 was I wasn't involved in the "Alicorn Twilight Sparkle" drama that followed Season 3's Finale.

Why, that's exactly the same as me.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

1. I think everyone is secretly happy about Twilight Sparkle becoming an Alicorn since, it allowed FiM to continue.

2. I'm glad I have a place to discuss wrestling where there isn't a bunch of fandom fighting going on in every post, Thank You.

Fun fact: Larson himself admitted that had he known MLP would continue, he wouldn't have written in Twilicorn. That could've been very much the end.

And I'm glad to help out a fellow fan. I took a lot of cues from the old Wrestling Roundtable forum. It was a small group, but we had our own tight nit community, and it was the first place I found that discussed wrestling in a mature manner . It was also just the thing I needed as a young fan, helping broaden my horizons, take a critical stance and see the bigger picture. You probably would've liked it there. 

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Fun fact: Larson himself admitted that had he known MLP would continue, he wouldn't have written in Twilicorn. That could've been very much the end.

And I'm glad to help out a fellow fan. I took a lot of cues from the old Wrestling Roundtable forum. It was a small group, but we had our own tight nit community, and it was the first place I found that discussed wrestling in a mature manner . It was also just the thing I needed as a young fan, helping broaden my horizons, take a critical stance and see the bigger picture. You probably would've liked it there. 

1. I wonder how Season 3 would've ended if MMC was *the* end?

2. Yeah, it sounds pretty cool!

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

1. I wonder how Season 3 would've ended if MMC was *the* end?

2. Yeah, it sounds pretty cool!

That was the real end. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have had Twilicorn. 

Unfortunately the forum was shut down when the owner moved to facebook. Sadly it isn't the same. It's more or less like any other wrestling group on FB. Filled with all the bickering and redundant posts. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

26 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

8 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I wonder how Season 3 would've ended if MMC was *the* end?

I'm little suspicious about that Larson's statement...  When did writers really get to know that FiM will continue? If show's length was originally supposed to be only three seasons, thus this one being the grand finale before curtain falls, it certainly didn't feel like one, at least for me. In season 3 there were quite a few mediocre episodes, not bad but still maybe little bland, plus season is overall notably shorter than other two. Was this really the way makers of the show intended to say goodbye for their creation?

Edited by Divine plywood
  • Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

That was the real end. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have had Twilicorn. 

I meant, would Twilight Sparkle still become an Alicorn

or would she have stayed a Unicorn following the Season 3 Finale since, Larson said he wouldn't have changed her?

Edited by Sparklefan1234

While I liked it, I guess I can understand why it left a sour taste for some people. It also doesn't really help that the season is as half as long as the others, so it didn't have enough time to stew. There was also that huge drama that came out of the finale.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Divine plywood said:

I'm little suspicious about that Larson's statement...  When did writers really get to know that FiM will continue? If show's length was originally supposed to be only three seasons, thus this one being the grand finale before curtain falls, it certainly didn't feel like one, at least for me. In season 3 there were quite a few mediocre episodes, not bad but still maybe little bland, plus season is overall notably shorter than other two. Was this really the way makers of the show intended to say goodbye for their creation?

They may not have known till partway though. They could've been told that the season was being split in two. Then they were given the final call to end the series. Then when they saw the ratings and sales, Hasbro green lit S4. Yes, MLP seems grand now, but back then, it was only 65 episodes. there wasn't all that much to hype up into a big finale. To them, it was just another show. 

5 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I meant, would Twilight Sparkle still become an Alicorn

or would she have stayed a Unicorn following the Season 3 Finale since, Larson said he wouldn't have changed her?

She probably would've stayed. I can only see her changing if it was Hasbro who made the call in the end. 

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate Season 3 necessarily, but IMO it was the low point of the series.

Episodes 1-2- Sombra was a poorly developed villain with basically no screentime, and the episode itself was quite forgettable. In fact it's the only series premiere that I sometimes forgot even existed. Even S6's premiere was one I remember because it's the only episode I never watched (because the premise just sounded like it would make a bad opening). Episode for me was about a 5.5/10. 

Episode 3- Probably the highlight of the season, though Pinkie Pie, even considering how many of her there ended up being, was a bit more annoying than she should have been here, but I have few problems. About an 8/10.

Episode 4- Introduced Babs Seed, my second least favorite character to have been part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She was downright rude to the CMC and basically seemed to torture the CMC... for the sake of doing so. Episode felt as if it had too little effort put into it. A 4.5/10.

Episode 5- This episode existed purely to give Trixie more screentime apparently. Seemingly out of nowhere she decides to harass Twilight and stroke her ego some more. A 5/10.

Episode 6- The episode where poor Scootaloo has a nightmare. It was a decent episode, but I find it as unmemorable as the premiere honestly. 7/10.

Episode 7- A fairly decent episode with a decently-written plot behind it, but I didn't like all of the drama. 7/10.

Episode 8- There was so little to this episode, that was apparenly about an Apple Family Reunion. All I really remember at all of it honestly is "Raise this Barn" and honestly it's not anywhere near the best of the series in that regard. 6/10.

Episode 9- YIKES. A Spike episode already plagued by a cliche premise, that becomes probably the worst Spike episode in the entire series. He became aggrivating and downright annoying. It was so bad I could SWEAR Spike suddenly became a different character. Probably one of the worst episodes of the entire series. It's up there with the finale of this season as well as "Hard to Say Anything." 3.5/10.

Episode 10- Pardon my wording here, but how can an episode with Discord in it be this lame? Working with the master of chaos himself, and you make an ENTIRE episode dedicated to reforming him. Actually pathetic Hasbro. About a 4.5/10.

Episode 11- After the miserable failure that was Spike at Your Service, they do ANOTHER Spike episode. One not even much better than the last. Premise was clearly an excuse to give more runtime to the Mane Six's pets, and the episode was ANOTHER bland episode in itself. Not another Spike At Your Service, but not really a good one either. 5/10.

Episode 12- Even Dave Polsky agrees when I say this, but the ending to this episode made NO SENSE. Doesn't help that this is another stale episode with relatvively slow pacing that makes it feel like it's dragging on for twice it's runtime.  Another 4.5/10.

Episode 13- I really, REALLY don't feel like talking about this rushed sloppy mess of an episode, with a conclusion that made so little sense that a vast majority of the fandom was just absolutely DUMBFOUNDED. Pacing was WAY off, none of the songs really resonated at all (in fact I  just wished they STOPPED), and the ending was the most nonsensical, clear attempt to end any series I've seen... At least it didn't cut off there and the ending did something GOOD by paving the way for mostly good seasons thereafter. Nonetheless, it was a complete dumpster fire in my honest opinion.  A 2/10, worst episode of the series in my opinion, even over "Hard to Say Anything." 

Basically the season is full of bad or unmemorable episodes, with literally only 4 episodes I'd consider decent. 

EDIT: After a revisit, well, I've further soured on it...

Edited by Dustleeshus
  • Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Divine plywood said:

When did writers really get to know that FiM will continue?

Staff writers usually get a call from the EP. Freelance writers are *supposed* to get a call from their agent that they have an offer (and the writers summit in FiM's case). 

MMC is certainly grander than the finale episodes we get for other animated series that only had 2-3 seasons. Usually you don't have closure of any kind. 

• Brohoof 3

I think Season 3 was great. Sure, it had a few bad apples, but so did all seasons. My favorite episodes in there were Magical Mystery Cure, Keep Calm and Flutter On, Sleepless in Ponyville, and Too Many Pinkie Pies. 

As for why it often gets the lowest rating among the seasons, I think everything that needs to be said has been said already. If you have two seasons with an equal number of bad episodes, then the season with less episodes will have a higher miss-to-attempt ratio, if you know what I'm saying.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, ChB said:

Sure, it had a few bad apples

I can think of *one*. :smug:

I also wish they hadn't reformed Discord so quickly &

I wish they would have replaced one of their "weaker" episodes in order to make Magical Mystery Cure a two-parter. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

I can think of *one*. :smug:

I also wish they hadn't reformed Discord so quickly &

I wish they would have replaced one of their "weaker" episodes in order to make Magical Mystery Cure a two-parter. 

Personally, I think the pacing of both episodes were just fine. But yes, I can understand that.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I am so sick of the stupid "Twilight is a Murderer" argument in 2 Many Pinkies. She clearly said the clones were to be sent back to the Mirror Pool where they came from, with the risk of the Real Pinkie being sent into the Pool by mistake. No killing involved.

It's been discussed a lot, but I can't say I'm sick of it yet. I still think it's an interesting debate to have over whether those Pinkies were really alive with hopes and dreams or whether they were nothing more than the equivalent of sophisticated chatbots. If they were chatbots - or they were alive but retained their memories after going back into the pool - then you're right - it can't be considered murder.

Since the Mirror Pool is once again open for business (thanks, Maud! XD ) maybe we'll get a definitive answer someday? Maybe that one escapee Pinkie will return again? If she does, she can befriend cloned Boulder - maybe they'd even have a lot to talk about? XD

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, donttellmum said:

So I just finished and I can't see why everybody hated S3.

Could you guys explain why you think S3 was so bad

It’s not that bad but it’s short and ends on an episode I hate. I think it’s okay, better than some later seasons.

6 hours ago, donttellmum said:

Also, what makes a Generation in terms of the show.

Just a totally different show altogether. It comes when they reboot the toy line. 

• Brohoof 2

Looking back, Season 3 was the season that was short and felt rushed. Some of the episodes felt like they aren't finished and need some explorations to be rewritten. Though it had some of the episodes I love because of the returning villains, it also has a lot of episodes that were controversial and mean spirited (mostly controversial with the finale).

But all things considered, it was a quick shot than season 6's overdose with the same feel.

9 hours ago, Adamgreen said:

Looking back, Season 3 was the season that was short and felt rushed. Some of the episodes felt like they aren't finished and need some explorations to be rewritten. Though it had some of the episodes I love because of the returning villains, it also has a lot of episodes that were controversial and mean spirited

Indeed, "Spike at your Service" is the perfect example since the original story was deemed too mean-spirited and had to be quickly rewritten my Merriweather Williams. Unfortunately, the rush rewrite and maybe a lack of understanding of Spike's character is what caused it to turn out the way it did.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Truffles said:

Indeed, "Spike at your Service" is the perfect example since the original story was deemed too mean-spirited and had to be quickly rewritten my Merriweather Williams. Unfortunately, the rush rewrite and maybe a lack of understanding of Spike's character is what caused it to turn out the way it did.

"Original story was deemed too mean spirited" Why?

7 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

"Original story was deemed too mean spirited" Why?

All I know is from the MLP wiki, and it doesn't really go into details other than it originally was about Rarity and Spike. I guess she apparently took advantage of his crush to get him to do all sorts of tasks for her, without her even realizing what she was doing to him. Beyond that I have no idea. I think DHX and Hasbro were becoming cognizant of all the Spikeabuse (and of complaints by Spike's fans of Rarity "using" him) and having a whole episode of that would have reflected badly on the her.