Do people still talk on their phones

heavens-champion

• 1 year later...

Oh absolutely. Before my long distance best friend got a bf she would call me and we would talk for hours. I actually prefer to talk over writing messages. Feels more real. Which is why I tend to leave people voice messages if they're cool with it.

@Iforgotmybrain Is my witness. I've leave quite a few of these voice messages on discord lol. I'll be leaving another one as soon as I leave work over this "wonderful" comment left on my bumble profile. 

• Brohoof 2

Untitled.jpg.dc23eadfbda4ab52e60143e3d8efe756.jpg
*On Wednesdays We Wear Pink And Betray The Organization*

Yessss for sure. I wish I could physically talk more to people I know online (unless I’m afraid we go on for a while and don’t want to say goodbye). Feels more human than just reading a message.

img-18807-1-EVnkzff.png

Sig by Wolf, Handwriting by SparklingSwirls

Yes of course. I still do quite a bit, even though I prefer texting since I'm so socially awkward talking on the phone.

silverstream_signature_by_kyoshifrostwolf_dceb7cf.png.13d1f0558421db9878b3d4774bb30e86.png

I avoid talking on the phone at all costs. I don’t like regular phones and I don’t like cell phones. The only reason I have one is because the world insists on revolving around these stupid devices to the point where you can do even the most basic tasks without having an app. I rarely turn on my phone unless it’s necessary, and you’d be surprised just how unnecessary it is.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I avoid talking on the phone at all costs. I don’t like regular phones and I don’t like cell phones. The only reason I have one is because the world insists on revolving around these stupid devices to the point where you can do even the most basic tasks without having an app. I rarely turn on my phone unless it’s necessary, and you’d be surprised just how unnecessary it is.

App is my most hated quarter of a word.

• Hugs 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, although most voice communication for me these days is done through voice messages or Discord VCs. I really need to get more comfortable with using voice messages myself, I just can’t get over the fact that I’m basically talking aloud to myself with no feedback like when on a call. Same reason I’d struggle being a streamer or YouTuber.

1688011602589297.png.895617a26d9ad95396f01be743553b79.png

I own both a cell phone and a landline.

I never went through a phase of being addicted to a landline where I'm talking to friends or anyone else for hours on end.
Furthermore, there were LARGE gaps of time where I just didn't have a cellphone, so I missed a lot of milestones that people go through when it comes to being addicted to cellphone use.

The point is, I am indifferent to either form of communication. I can text, I can call, I can talk to someone in person. It doesn't matter to me since I only use those devices when I absolutely NEED to.

Spoiler

Gonna hide this since it sounds a bit preachy...

I don't judge others for how they want to communicate or what they want to do with their time. It's their life, let them spend it however they want. However, I cannot help but notice that these devices have created a false sense of social skills. Even as an old school, avid computer user; I've felt a little bit of this too. With texting and computers, you can take your time. You can check your grammar, look up word definitions, and make yourself sound WAY smarter and way smoother than you actually are. That's fine and dandy, but it means nothing if you fall apart when it comes to actually talking with your mouth. By that point, you're not a master of socializing. At best, you've just replaced one set of social skills for another; skills that are not transferable. At worst, you've developed a social anxiety and you're clinging to digital communications like a crutch.

But that's not to say I only see the worst. If you can talk like a scholar online or while texting, part of that is still a reflection of you. So I know that if you take a step back, breathe, and remember that people are not something to be constantly afraid of; then I know you can be just as social in person as you are digitally. The ability is there within you. Just takes time, practice, and confidence. :lookup:

halloweensig.png.397601b0ba3d0bdc1d66a19d4ccbc7fa.png

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Nowadays I only use my phone to make quick calls to my family, maybe some texts here and there. I have used voice text a few times before, but I don't really have anyone to use it now with.

I usually talk to friends and/or new people either here or via discord app.

Edited by Starlight Serenade