Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was the moment that made you love your favorite character?

ShootingStar159

What was the moment that made you love your favorite character? Was it one moment that made all the difference? Was it a slow build up that just snuggled it’s way to your feels?

I always really liked Starlight, but having watched seasons five, six, and seven pretty much in a row, there really wasn’t much time to reflect on my ‘favorite pony’ status yet. Twilight was still my favorite at the time. And then Starlight went and switched the Princesses cutie marks. After yelling “what!” at my screen for about twenty seconds, I just gave up and admitted Starlight was my favorite. 

“I... went with my gut?” Starlight, your gut is insane, and I love you for it.

So, what’s the moment you chose your favorite?

• Brohoof 3

Thorax: seeing his genuine happiness on his "Crystal Hoof" face as a strong indication that he's a good Changeling.

Crystal_Hoof_wide-eyed_and_awestruck_S6E16.thumb.png.dc8c78d3286d4ac40a6a8283d9d1ddc9.png

Proof that he really is a good Changeling was when he saved Spike's life again, even when he had nothing else to lose. 

Spike_saved_by_Thorax_S6E16.thumb.png.20ff328b613c77aa233f9c6678309515.png

And when he proved Changelings are more healthy and strong by sharing love instead of stealing it, my love for him him grew stronger; as lovely as his new form

5ab15e5836f13_Thorax_grinning_widely_S7E15(1).thumb.png.0a3d4a06c45ea292438ffea74046bd64.png

• Brohoof 2

Pinkie has been my favorite since I saw "The Ticket Master" (the first MLP episode I really liked). The way she reacted to getting the gala ticket (or so she thought) and the random songs she sang were adorable, the episode really captured her joyfulness and made me wish I knew someone like that. :)

• Brohoof 3

Sombra cemented himself as perhaps the most-underrated Magnificent Bastard ever:

1. His "curse upon the Empire" Xanatos Gambit against Celestia and Luna.

2. His Gradual Grinder-style dominance of Shining and Cadance.

3. His Crazy-Prepared defenses -- as Twilight and Spike learned the hard way.

P.S.:

He made a whole pocket dimension of super stairs:

absurdly_long_stairway.jpg

That is all.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2

In the second episode of the entire series. When Twilight heard her new friends joining her, and the "Spark" of magic is seen in her eyes. That's my exact moment I started loving this awkward but wise beyond her years purple pony.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 3

When Rarity gets inspired by the light passing trough her gem piles and starts making a new version of the princess dress during the "Rules of Rarity" song.

Edited by DonMaguz
Repeated a word.
  • Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

When Rarity gets inspired by the light passing trough her gem piles and starts making a new version of the princess dress during the "Rules of Rarity" song.

That was a good moment, underrated episode in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

I had liked Rarity from the 2nd episode of FiM. Rarity cutting off her beautiful tail showed that she was more than just a fashion obsessed pony. However, the first time I loved Rarity was in Suited for Success. She was just amazing in that episode. 

• Brohoof 2

RD's intro into the show was adorable and endearing

Though it wasn't until Sonic Rainboom where she started to look like a well-rounded character

• Brohoof 2

Well let's see, there are so many characters in G4 that I really like, that it would be hard to just pick one, same goes for the moment that made me love them.

For Fluttershy her introduction in the show was what initially gravitated me towards her, and unlike what others would say, even to this day I find her to be an engaging character with moments such as her actions in Tanks for the Memories and Flutter Brutter proving that.

Sunset Shimmer throwing off her jacket and helping her gf Princess Twilight and the Rainbooms take down the sirens was what sealed the deal in her becoming one of my favorites as well.

And Rarity being willing to sacrifice the contest in Rarity Takes Manehatten was what helped make her another one of my favorites.

• Brohoof 1

For Twilight, it was in the episode "Lesson Zero," where she freaked out about potentially handing in a late assignment. That has always been especially relatable to me, and while I also like her intelligence and dorky enthusiasm, it's mostly those overly high expectations of herself which make her my favourite. 

• Brohoof 2

I already liked Starlight in my first viewing but her 'Quiet!' completely sealed the deal, she shut down Princess of Friendship speech, that's just savage.

Pinkie is the most funny one, I enjoyed her presense since season 1, but her mental breakdown in Party of One gave her more layers than just a goofy character.

Sunset Shimmer is my favorite EQG (its too obvious), and Rainbow Rocks is the reason, nothing to talk about here, it's just too obvious.

Rarity may not my best mane 6, but her "Rarity Takes Manehattan" made me root for her success more than Princess Twilight.

Fluttershy is my second favorite mane character right now, she just growing on me. Flutter Brutter made her my second favorite and someday she might be number one.

• Brohoof 1

Sweetie Belle's devious little sister relationship finally coming out when she sabotaged Sapphire Shores' headdress. I was so excited to finally show her not just be the perfect, innocent and naive little sister Rarity episodes have been painting her as. (Granted "Twilight Time" was also a nice showing of her vanity but I saw FWtSBT first.)

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 2

It was not exactly one moment but rather a bunch of moments from back in season 1 that made me realise how much I like Twilight Sparkle, and realising just how much her and I had in common back when I joined the fandom in 2014. 

• Brohoof 1

Before I watched the show, I knew my favorite would be Rainbow Dash. The people and things I would credit to making me decide to watch the show we’re all RD-related. So, yeah. :adorkable:

But I really didn’t decide that she was my definite favorite until Sonic Rainboom. That episode was really relatable, and it was such a big moment for her. :) The cutie mark chronicles was also a great episode for Dash. ;) 

• Brohoof 2

Loved the way Tempest was animated in the movie, which prompted me to watch it and join the fandom. Had me at her cynacism and handicap, too.

Loved Luna the moment I realized her capacity for forgiveness and humility.

Surprisingly ended up loving Starlight Glimmer upon realizing her propensity for befriending 'difficult' people.

To name a few.

• Brohoof 1

When I realized the absolute genius behind Sombra's trap; and his overall goal.

When I felt just how intimidating Tempest could be and how she carried herself

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

When I felt just how intimidating Tempest could be and how she carried herself

Also -- Capper trolling all of Klugetown, Celaeno debuting as a sympathetic Punch-Clock Villain, and Skystar introducing "Shelly" and "Sheldon" ( :lol: ).

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 3

Oh, boy. I finally get to write a love letter dedicated to my favorite pony!

rainbowdash.png.a41c8bb809603b4cb7bc92e0b279f38f.png

I was already drawn to Rainbow Dash from the very beginning, given her tomboyish attitude; I've always been a fan of the brash, loud characters. From her dive-bombing onto Twilight, to her contribution to the group in the second portion of the two-parter, I was pretty hooked to her as a character then. Of course, I liked the others, too, but she stood out to me immediately because she was simply the character archetype that I find myself drawn to (Twilight Sparkle being the other archetype, and Fluttershy being my third).

For the first few episodes, my favorites tended to flip-flop between her and Twilight Sparkle; I guess I also have a thing for nerds on top of jocks. Looking back on Season One, I actually think Rainbow wasn't portrayed at her height there, and in hindsight I can understand why people didn't like her (and preferred Twilight), but her design and just everything about her endeared her to me. What especially impressed me at the time was an example of a jock character with a strong-minded disposition who was not against being feminine - this was during a time in my life that I was having a turn-around and embracing my own femininity after swearing up and down for years that I was "not like all those other girls", so to see that being represented in a character in a little girl's show gave me such joy. Yes, Rainbow was a bit overbearing, and yes, she definitely liked to portray herself as tough, but her complaint about the dress that Rarity made her did not resemble that of your typical "girl power" character who's trying to seem so far away from real girls, but instead something that I myself have argued about my own clothes: "doesn't seem aerodynamic". The practicality of the outfit was what concerned her.

It was Sonic Rainboom, though, that made me seriously see the potential of Rainbow outside of the initial archetype that drew me to her in the first place. Seeing someone with such bravado as hers be reduced to this anxious mess because of messing up in front of a crowd started to give me a clearer picture not of the fact that she was a fast fledgling flier wanting to get into the Wonderbolts, but actually how she actually ticked from the bottom-up. It's very common for people to suggest that Rainbow contains nothing short of arrogance, but it was from Sonic Rainboom onward that I started to get a realized picture of just who Rainbow was: someone who thrived on people's attention and approval of her, and someone whose arrogance did not come fully from true confidence but indeed from a pedestal she'd placed herself on top of that she needed to stay on top of, that mentality that "if I'm not the best, then I'm not good enough". She was a rare example of this, too, as someone who was clearly beginning to support in and believe in her friends and be their cheerleader, rather than tearing them down in order to further her own ego when it's clear how important that ego and pride is to her, and I think it's amazing, to this day, that that ego is portrayed in such a way. I don't think I've ever seen an Inferiority Superiority Complex written so well before. It'd be so easy to write her as a pure bully, and indeed she has displayed symptoms of it in earlier episodes, but later episodes gave her quirks as well as grounded her enough that I can honestly and truly say that I can understand why her friends like her.

But it's my favorite episode of the show to this day, Hurricane Fluttershy, that really showed me what happens when Rainbow is at the top of her game, and exactly why she's the kind of pony to be admired. Someone who not only has a lot of skill and likes to flaunt it, but also someone who wants to push others to be their best. But on top of that, it was the first time I noticed a character passively growing from an earlier episode. Rainbow shouted at Fluttershy in Dragonshy, this is true, but she has clearly grown and evolved since then. She has learned to channel that impatience better, and she has learned to respect the differences of her friends in a way that has her pushing them in a positive direction as opposed to shoving them somewhere that they're uncomfortable. And that high ground, that empathy, that desire to help others as much as she needs their attention is not something she just manifests with friends, either; in Wonderbolt Academy, she demonstrated that this applies to her morals, too. She sticks strongly for what she believes in in a way that actually reminds me somewhat of Sonic, and it was that very thing that endeared me to Sonic, who I originally believed to be a jerk: that desire to do what's right above all else even if it may come at personal sacrifice. And Rainbow has repeatedly demonstrated this since, even in episodes that might have been considered subpar; it's why other episodes that don't portray this particular trait of hers seem so jarring to me.

I don't think it's "one moment" that made me fall in love with Rainbow as just a collection of them throughout watching the show. I was already drawn to her from the beginning, but I've fallen more and more for the character as I've watched her grow throughout the seasons. Twilight had a similar effect, but since we're talking about our favorite characters here and Rainbow just barely edges over her, that's why I've dedicated this post to her. She's honestly one of my favorite female characters and I think she is among those who have received the most substantial development over the course of the series, and I like how it's plain to see how this shows even passively in episodes that don't focus on her. Further, she also encapsulates one of the virtues of character that I honor the most: loyalty.

It's very common for her to be overlooked or reduced because of her ego and brattiness at points, and while I can't blame people for thinking it's a bit much in certain situations, I know behind that brash pony is a compassionate heart who wants only the best for her friends and for Equestria (and, you know, maybe to get some praise along the way).

• Brohoof 2

Can't say there's really a specific moment. I tend to switch who I like depending on the season as I feel a character is better in one season than they are in another. Like I enjoyed Rarity's focused episode in season 1 the most and that made her my favorite of season 1 as I enjoyed the episode giving her layers to her character. Or in season three with "Wonderbolts Academy" serving as a great development episode for Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 1