Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What will Discord do once Fluttershy passes away?

Wonderbolt Slipstream

On 4/28/2018 at 11:35 PM, Nyactis Mewcis Catlum said:

Well, hopefully such a thing, if it happens, will be in the distant future, and by the time it happens Discord will have a sufficiently large support group that losing Fluttershy, while a significant blow to him, wouldn't be the end of the world.

If it were to happen tomorrow, certainly he wouldn't handle it well, but operating under the assumption all of them will live for quite some time and Discord will also find his place not just among them but the younger generations, and he'll be able to keep on living and continuing the legacy they left behind. Paying it forward with the impact they made on him to future ponies they won't be able to directly touch.

Or, he could go mad with grief and cause never ending chaos ;)

58 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Regardless of what happens, he will need to move on. Unfortunately, that's the price of being an immortal in a world of mortals. :sunny: It sucks, but that's just what happens in life, eternal or temporary; you'll experience grief at some point.

But it's not just another pony, it's the god of disharmony and chaos, he can literally turn Equestria into hell if he just FELT like it, and in times of grief, you can feel that way, but he can do it and at the that moment, I believe he would.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Slipstream95 said:

But it's not just another pony, it's the god of disharmony and chaos, he can literally turn Equestria into hell if he just FELT like it, and in times of grief, you can feel that way, but he can do it and at the that moment, I believe he would.

Yes, he probably would. :wacko:

The thing is, though... that won't fix the problem. He can turn the entire world 180 degrees if he wanted, but it won't bring Fluttershy back. No matter what he does, he will need to move on if he wants to retain his sanity. :) Like I said, that's just part of life; we grief for those who we care about dearly... but the best thing you can do in that situation is to let life go on. :rarity:

8 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Yes, he probably would. :wacko:

The thing is, though... that won't fix the problem. He can turn the entire world 180 degrees if he wanted, but it won't bring Fluttershy back. No matter what he does, he will need to move on if he wants to retain his sanity. :) Like I said, that's just part of life; we grief for those who we care about dearly... but the best thing you can do in that situation is to let life go on. :rarity:

But Discord is already insane...

...and has nothing to lose

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Slipstream95 said:

But Discord is already insane...

...and has nothing to lose

Like I said, though; twisting the world beyond recognition won't get rid of his grief. :rarity:

48 minutes ago, Conred said:

Seriously, though. He would just rise their children and after some years he would move on and fall for a pony that remind him of Fluttershy.

Never fall for a girl that reminds you of a past girlfriend, especially a dead one. That won't help you move on, the new girlfriend will just remind you of the old one.

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2018 at 1:10 PM, SugarCoatxMarblePie said:

If he made Fluttershy immortal she wouldn't accept it because them most of her friends would die anyways it'd be very hard on her. If she dies he would easily go back in the past to visit her, or he would try n hibernate for the rest of eternity. Maybe a past version or alt version of himself would try convincing himself to cheer up.  Maybe he would then take a stroll n see more ponies that remind him of Fluttershy then eventually try n hang out with some, then it depends how ponies treat him next, for what he decides to do.

Perhaps he would be grateful for getting to know her. Perhaps alot of things. Perhaps he would want to die with her.

Well who said he couldn't make her friends immortal as well? 

(edited)

he'll be devastated, he'll probably try something stupid to bring her back, and if its not a natural death, nothing can help the one who caused it, other than that, hopefully he'll have many more friends untill that time comes to pass and they can help him see it through
but i don't believe he'll go on a rampage, he will honor her even after her death, she has trully changed him,she's not his captor,so he won't just break loose once she's gone

Edited by Lord Valtasar

24 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

he'll be devastated, he'll probably try something stupid to bring her back, and if its not a natural death, nothing can help the one who caused it, other than that, hopefully he'll have many more friends untill that time comes to pass and they can help him see it through
but i don't believe he'll go on a rampage, he will honor her even after her death, she has trully changed him,she's not his captor,so he won't just break loose once she's gone

We haven't seen the extent of discord's power, if fluttershy dies unwillingly i wouldn't think discord is unable to bring her back, however i wouldn't think discord would try to bring her back if she dies of natural causes, he'd eventually move on.

Hey, twilight could still possibly be alive at the time of flutter's death, celestia lived for thousands of years, wouldn't be surprised if that applied to all alicorns.

I prefer to think the mane 6 at least are immortal (though I read a sad fanfic recently which had Dash comforting Applejack at her sisters funeral from old age). However if you discount that I'll stick to the comics where Discord can time travel and has had a friend other than Fluttershy its just that it usually takes him a few million years to get over the death of his friend and sort of move on. Occasionally taking trips back in time to talk to them again. I did like the cat jelous Fluttershy actulaly became his friend instead of her.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I’m just horrible, but I find these questions of immortality unintentionally hilarious.

You all seem to forget that Discord isn’t a biological creature. Even barring the fact that the whole point to Discord is that we oughtent comprehend how it thinks, the aside is still the crux.

Your emotions, what is permanent to you in the moment are not the totality of your existence. Another may define you for a good portion of your life, but you live past that. A life, immortal or not, is about the growth. You keep those moments with you, but carry on without tethering yourself to what once was.

Fluttershy will die, Discord will move on. Did you think this hasn’t happened before in a being potentially older than the planet? Why do you think he’s so focused on having fun in the moment?

Think of it like raising pets; something like tropical fish. They are there for only mere slivers of the time you have with them, but that doesn’t make them any less important to you nor does it mean you cannot exist long past that. Like how a city is formed by the countless, fleeting hands that shaped it, each being reflects who they had interacted with. 

Edit: Then again, Discord. He did try to pretty much outright murder a competitor for Flutter’s attentions & only stopped because he was told not to. He’s kinda bucking unstable! But hey, knowing him, he would jump at any chance to go wild for a bit just to get it out of his proverbial system. Chaos, man.

Point is, one thing ought not mean the totality. 

Edited by Widdershins

7 minutes ago, Widdershins said:

Maybe I’m just horrible, but I find these questions of immortality unintentionally hilarious.

You all seem to forget that Discord isn’t a biological creature. Even barring the fact that the whole point to Discord is that we oughtent comprehend how it thinks, the aside is still the crux.

Your emotions, what is permanent to you in the moment are not the totality of your existence. Another may define you for a good portion of your life, but you live past that. A life, immortal or not, is about the growth. You keep those moments with you, but carry on without tethering yourself to what once was.

Fluttershy will die, Discord will move on. Did you think this hasn’t happened before in a being potentially older than the planet? Why do you think he’s so focused on having fun in the moment?

Think of it like raising pets; something like tropical fish. They are there for only mere slivers of the time you have with them, but that doesn’t make them any less important to you nor does it mean you cannot exist long past that. Like how a city is formed by the countless, fleeting hands that shaped it, each being reflects who they had interacted with. 

Edit: Then again, Discord. He did try to pretty much outright murder a competitor for Flutter’s attentions & only stopped because he was told not to. He’s kinda bucking unstable! But hey, knowing him, he would jump at any chance to go wild for a bit just to get it out of his proverbial system. Chaos, man.

Point is, one thing ought not mean the totality. 

True but in the series at least Fluttershy is pushed as his first and best friend. There is a difference between "toy broke" and 'lost someone I love." There's actually one fanfic that's kept cropping up on my searches the last few weeks that I'm deliberately avoiding as I don't like sad things where going by the summary Discord just doesn't realize the whole concept of mortality and takes a nap that lasts till Fluttershy dies of old age leaving him alone again because he thought she'd always be there.

@Senko Sounds like a dumb, poorly thought out fanfic. He just “fell asleep.”

To be fair, even a toy can mean the world. It’s the importance you place, I say. Like, think we can agree that trying to end the world in a bid to bring back a loved one is a tad extreme. A lesson that, hopefully, an ageless being should have learned. 

With immortality comes unlimited time to mature & come to terms.

3 hours ago, Widdershins said:

@Senko Sounds like a dumb, poorly thought out fanfic. He just “fell asleep.”

To be fair, even a toy can mean the world. It’s the importance you place, I say. Like, think we can agree that trying to end the world in a bid to bring back a loved one is a tad extreme. A lesson that, hopefully, an ageless being should have learned. 

With immortality comes unlimited time to mature & come to terms.

Don't judge it without taking a look, like I said it looks like its set up to be a sad thing so I'm avoiding it but it may be well written. I pm'd you the link.

1 minute ago, SageofSong said:

Maybe Discord will transport Fluttershy to a place outside time where she would not age? Just a theory. :P

Also seen a fanfic that seems to have him keeping her young as a plot. As well as one where all the mane 6 are immortal though not Alicorns that one was a nasty surprise as it opens with them attending Applebloom's funeral and focused on them comforting each other as everyone they cared about died one by one from old age. Not what I was expecting.

Just now, Senko said:

Also seen a fanfic that seems to have him keeping her young as a plot. As well as one where all the mane 6 are immortal though not Alicorns that one was a nasty surprise as it opens with them attending Applebloom's funeral and focused on them comforting each other as everyone they cared about died one by one from old age. Not what I was expecting.

Well, unless everyone becomes immortal, then Fluttershy will die and Discord will move on. He may care for Fluttershy, and even though he was evil before, what will stop him from being so connected to another pony after Fluttershy passes? And then another? And then another?

2 minutes ago, SageofSong said:

Well, unless everyone becomes immortal, then Fluttershy will die and Discord will move on. He may care for Fluttershy, and even though he was evil before, what will stop him from being so connected to another pony after Fluttershy passes? And then another? And then another?

I think that's what Celestia's hoping for to be honest that he'll start with Fluttershy and then make more and more friends. Sure they'll be important to him like presumably the dozen/s of personal students she's had are to her (we know Starlight and Sunset both seemed to get some preferential treatment over the other students so there probably have been others) but he'll be able to handle their loss without going evil/mad. Something supported by the comics that show he had one being he considred a friend a few million years ago.

Also my personal opinion but I think that's why a lot of fictional immortals toy with mortals its because they made themself stop caring as losing them hurts too much.

1 minute ago, Senko said:

I think that's what Celestia's hoping for to be honest that he'll start with Fluttershy and then make more and more friends. Sure they'll be important to him like presumably the dozen/s of personal students she's had are to her (we know Starlight and Sunset both seemed to get some preferential treatment over the other students so there probably have been others) but he'll be able to handle their loss without going evil/mad. Something supported by the comics that show he had one being he considred a friend a few million years ago.

Also my personal opinion but I think that's why a lot of fictional immortals toy with mortals its because they made themself stop caring as losing them hurts too much.

So the Mane 6 (minus Twilight) are the foundation of a testing ground, and could be expanded? I suppose that'll make sense. I just don't want to think about it. :( Also, what do you think of the fan theory that Fluttershy is infertile?

That is exactly what Discord does.

Honestly, I would rather treat immortality like reincarnation. I would live 100 years, take some kind of amnesia potion, fall asleep for a hundred years, then wake up with little memories of my past life, life another life, and rinse and repeat.

5 minutes ago, SageofSong said:

Honestly, I would rather treat immortality like reincarnation. I would live 100 years, take some kind of amnesia potion, fall asleep for a hundred years, then wake up with little memories of my past life, life another life, and rinse and repeat.

Not a fan of it msyelf (the infertile Fluttershy part) even if they're lesbians/not interested in sex I'd rather they have the option just like I don't like thinkjing about Scootaloo never being able to fly.

You'd prefer a timelord regeneration then die and come back as a new body. Its not just the apperance or the general personality as you see in the tv series in the books there's mentions of Timelords who find their interests changing as they shift so one incarnation may be fascinated by science while another finds it boring.

Personally I think I'd rather the Celesita/discord type of immortality if I have to live forever I'd like to at least be able to remember it. To use the series as an example if I were an immortal Alicorn I'd want to be able to remember the friends/loved ones I had. Even if they've been gone a thousand years they're not forgotten, never forgotten. Whereas if you reincarnate and lose the memories either permanently or temporaily (like the mad monk movie I watched last night) then they really are gone.

Edited by Senko