Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Favorite version of Alice in Wonderland?

Jeric

b1d7b9daf4f88e3ab6dacbf368adeaf3-copy-78

Like Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, and others .... Alice and her romps through a nonsensical fantasy world have been told, adapted, and retold in various forms. Many people will usually focus on the Disney animated classic, but there were so much adaptations that sprung from Carroll's mind and penchant for crafting literary nonsense. I tend to gravitate to the versions that capture the spirit of the original novels. Lewis Carroll was a regarded mathematician focusing of logic. One way of looking at the Wonderland stories are as vignettes that use clever twisted logic, something that came easily to Carroll due to his training in his scientific field of choice. Disney's version does try its best to capture this aspect, but after seeing most versions of the original, it seems as though there is always something lost in translation. It is hard to put my finger on it, but even the Disney classic doesn't quite feel right, though they may have created the most iconic Alice. 

Have you read the books? How many of the adapted works have you seen (film, animation, games, comics, etc) and what is your favorite?  

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Jeric said:

b1d7b9daf4f88e3ab6dacbf368adeaf3-copy-78

^Oh my... I'm flattered, Jeric ^///^ But why do I have a sneaking suspicion you chose... ahem... "that picture" to confirm some suspicions of your own? ^.~

Spoiler

Please have mercy on me Q.Q 

23 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Like Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, and others .... Alice and her romps through a nonsensical fantasy world have been told, adapted, and retold in various forms. Many people will usually focus on the Disney animated classic, but there were so much adaptations that sprung from Carroll's mind and penchant for crafting literary nonsense. I tend to gravitate to the versions that capture the spirit of the original novels. Lewis Carroll was a regarded mathematician focusing of logic. One way of looking at the Wonderland stories are as vignettes that use clever twisted logic, something that came easily to Carroll due to his training in his scientific field of choice. Disney's version does try its best to capture this aspect, but after seeing most versions of the original, it seems as though there is always something lost in translation. It is hard to put my finger on it, but even the Disney classic doesn't quite feel right, though they may have created the most iconic Alice. 

Have you read the books? How many of the adapted works have you seen (film, animation, games, comics, etc) and what is your favorite?  

#1 Fav: Traditional Loli Alice (Blonde Hair - Blue Eyes)                                       #2 Fav: American McGee's Adult Alice (Black Hair - Green Eyes)

34a09ffd368e77556142321e90faa4cc3abebc7cc4b4851721c6d8857b0ea9e4e0d1b772bec91753

^The best two Alice's; all others pale in comparison^

That goes for the narrative elements too btw

• Brohoof 1

This is not hard for me...the books! I love all things Alice in Wonderland--but the one with Elisabeth Harnois...ehh... Yeah...I'd watch it again! :sunshower:

The books are one thing. They are works of genius right from the genius' own mind. Nothing is diluted or rearranged to fit into a two hour feature length or episodic mini series. As much as I like Disney's animated version, it doesn't come close to capturing the essence of the books; it simply doesn't have the time to cover enough ground. Another one I like is the 1933 version with Charlotte Henry (who was a very good Alice). It too suffered from the restrictions of time, budget and what they could put on film with the technology of the time. 

The fact is, Alice in Wonderland  can't be captured properly on film. Many have attempted it but pretty much all have failed to do it justice. The genius of the story is in the way Lewis Carroll conveyed it in his writing, and the way it was captured in John Tenniel's illustrations. As much as I would love to see it done, I think it's a losing battle trying to capture the madness, humor and often bittersweet emotion that came from the man who felt it all so strongly on a personal level. 

So to name my favorite version of the story I can only say it's the original written work. Disney's animated one is fun if you take it on its own merits and don't hold it to anything beyond that, and by that standard alone I consider it my favorite filmed version.  

(edited)

Definitely the games so far. @cuteycindyhoney has patrician taste as well. Reading the actual book is on my list of things I need to do too.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:01 PM, Kai-rouken said:

^Oh my... I'm flattered, Jeric ^///^ But why do I have a sneaking suspicion you chose... ahem... "that picture" to confirm some suspicions of your own? ^.~

What did he mean by this? We may never know.

Edited by Twiggy

In my experience, the original books are the only versions. Everyone tries to combine Through the Looking Glass with Alice in Wonderland and they're not supposed to be mixed together like a bunch of random scenes. No matter how 'mad' the books are, they each have their own story to tell, and shouldn't be scrambled together. 

Classic Alice is always the best,I personally found Tim Burton’s “boring” so to speak,but I loved Cheshire Cat in all of them !

On 6/11/2018 at 10:01 PM, Kai-rouken said:

Reveal hidden contents

Please have mercy on me Q.Q 

#1 Fav: Traditional Loli Alice (Blonde Hair - Blue Eyes)                                       #2 Fav: American McGee's Adult Alice (Black Hair - Green Eyes)

34a09ffd368e77556142321e90faa4cc3abebc7cc4b4851721c6d8857b0ea9e4e0d1b772bec91753

^The best two Alice's; all others pale in comparison^

That goes for the narrative elements too btw

WHAT THE BUCK!?!

Well, if you were to look at my FFXIV character's current look, I think you'd be able to tell which version of Alice I like the most:

Laura2018.thumb.jpg.80bd28b76c0c8adc23d3b68108a2c06c.jpg

That said, I, like Dreambiscuit said, prefer the original book version of Alice, followed closely by Tim Burton's take & then the classic Disney one, and my character's look is inspired by all three versions.  Which makes sense when you realize my character is supposed to be me if I was assigned female at birth, and I created the character as a female version of myself shortly after I came out, as a way to navigate the rabbit hole of finally honestly exploring my gender identity & such....

I loved the Disney version as a child, but I also thought what I read of the original book in my literature course was interesting, and I'm sure I'd like the Tim Burton movie simply because I've just always had a thing for Tim Burton's work.

• Brohoof 1