Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

FlareGun45

Yunno, if Lightning Dust comes back, I just realized that I don't think she should try to have her revenge on Rainbow Dash for having her kicked out of the academy!

Yunno what should happen? Her returning episode could have a moral that teaches depression! I mean, Lightning Dust's dreams were crushed! Yes, by her own actions and she'd realize that and lost hope for ever being happy again. So Rainbow Dash would feel sorry for her, and would probably blame herself for having her kicked out which Rainbow probably didn't expect to happen cause what if it was Rainbow that was reckless that caused to get kicked out? So she'd try to fix things, but it wouldn't be that easy because Spitfire's decision is final! This episode would definitely make Spitfire look like the villain! Y'see Lightning probably didn't know better when she was reckless - she let pride take the best of her, and without warning, without probation, she's just gone.

At least Wind Rider knew exactly what he was doing so he deserved to be kicked out, but did LD really know better? I don't even see her as the revenge type, which is why Grandpa Wind Rider did it! :P Oh c'mon, that 'flight record' reason was just a cover-up!

Depression is a big problem today, and if MLP were to address that, it could help inspire some people that do have it! Lightning wouldn't be a villain, but a victim of her own actions, and that would be a huge change for the show!

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Yunno, if Lightning Dust comes back, I just realized that I don't think she should try to have her revenge on Rainbow Dash for having her kicked out of the academy!

Yunno what should happen? Her returning episode could have a moral that teaches depression! I mean, Lightning Dust's dreams were crushed! Yes, by her own actions and she'd realize that and lost hope for ever being happy again. So Rainbow Dash would feel sorry for her, and would probably blame herself for having her kicked out which Rainbow probably didn't expect to happen cause what if it was Rainbow that was reckless that caused to get kicked out? So she'd try to fix things, but it wouldn't be that easy because Spitfire's decision is final! This episode would definitely make Spitfire look like the villain! Y'see Lightning probably didn't know better when she was reckless - she let pride take the best of her, and without warning, without probation, she's just gone.

At least Wind Rider knew exactly what he was doing so he deserved to be kicked out, but did LD really know better? I don't even see her as the revenge type, which is why Grandpa Wind Rider did it! :P Oh c'mon, that 'flight record' reason was just a cover-up!

Depression is a big problem today, and if MLP were to address that, it could help inspire some people that do have it! Lightning wouldn't be a villain, but a victim of her own actions, and that would be a huge change for the show!

I agree with pretty much everything here. But, maybe they could have it where she does try to get revenge, RD finds out and convinces her to forgive her, gets her out of her depression and they become friends. Don't know how the Spitfire situation should go, but that's just what I hope would happen.

Nice way to get people thinking! Props! :D

• Brohoof 1

I really liked your explanation for how a Lightning dust return episode could be handled @MegaSean45, I always figured if LD were to come back, she would want to get revenge or at least one-up herself to RD, but your spin with the whole tackling depression thing makes the episode have more......... purpose to it other than just bringing back LD. I think this would be a great topic for MLP to cover, I mean, they've already covered topics like death in the episode "Tanks for The Memories", like your idea it still had a main plot for the episode, and if one were not paying to much attention to it the subtle topic it was trying to tackle, death, could have been missed. I think that's how the episode tackling depression should be like, it still has a main story, but if you aren't paying too much attention to it you can easily miss the subtle topic it's trying to teach, Depression and how to handle it. I don't like episodes that have what they're trying to teach shoved right in your face. I felt like that's how the season 8 opener was like, RACISM IS BAD. And while racism is bad, I feel like they could have done it more subtly and naturally. 

Sorry if I went off topic slightly, but I really would like an LD return episode and that idea of it tackling depression is a great one, depression is a very big problem in our society after all :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

Now that would be truly depressing (ba-dum-tsss)

Hi, I'm a white fence pen-fondling nobody with no field medical experience who writes for an insignificant kid show. Let me tell you all about my personal interpretation of a medical condition that I've read about on Wiki after my cousin's girlfriend started munching them ad pills.

• Brohoof 1

I dunno. I mean, she could show depression at first before she becomes increasingly vindictive and plots revenge against Rainbow Dash for tarnishing her reputation, despite her reckless actions. I'd love to see LIghtning Dust return, being initially depressed at first, but soon grow with hatred and jealousy, even challenge Rainbow Dash to an unsanctioned race or risk having Lightning Dust blackmail Rainbow Dash, which can really put RD to the test, both physically and mentally.

Actually, outside of a allegory for PED's, I think Lightning Dust probably is most effectively used by giving her what she wants, a chance to prove she is better (in her own mind) than Dash via a head to head contest. Have her win toward the end and then have her notice the contrast between her unchanged lonliness and RD who is still surrounded by friends and admirers. 

I think mental illness is best done on the show by showing some symptoms without naming it. Way too much self-diagnosis issues these days ... it's kinda irresponsible to place that sort of responsibility at the foot of a cartoon and kids by directly addressing it. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

Real depression for a Pegasus should be not being able to fly anymore. Lightning Dust after being kicked out continues her reckless flying breaking records until one accident puts her out of commission permanently. She would see Rainbow Dash being a Wonderbolt was handed to her on a platter than earned, reference how she was rewarded instead of being punished for the same crime and LD was still the superior rival.

Meanwhile RD was dealing with being 2nd fiddle and not trying to be a supportive teammate to guide LD, which would give her a basis to help LD.

Though for once, LD could be that one exception of friendship cannot always win.

Edited by Singe

First, that's not how depression works. It's not merely a reaction to a traumatic event, it's a mental illness. Second, Trixie's arc already covered similar ground, doing it again with Lightning Dust would be redundant. Finally, Lightning Dust was essentially characterized as a sociopath, so there is other things they could address with her other than depression. 

• Brohoof 1

In the comics Lightning Dust has already had her revenge on Rainbow Dash and her friends behold the horrors of what she did to Rarity.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQwDI-uNzZxjh5O3lzyK6

(edited)
1 hour ago, Senko said:

In the comics Lightning Dust has already had her revenge on Rainbow Dash and her friends behold the horrors of what she did to Rarity.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQwDI-uNzZxjh5O3lzyK6

Canon does change! Especially when it comes to the comics!

Edited by MegaSean45