Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We as a fandom need to stop freaking out. Fandom is NOT ending

ManaMinori

I don’t know what the sam hill is wrong with this fandom, but the paranoia every few months from you guys that the FiM fandom is ending is annoying as heck and needs to stop. Seriously. There’s absolutely NO logical reason for anyone, ANYONE to be so dead set in their head that this fandom is going belly up to believe, even for a hot second that it is going to end. Look at the Star Wars fandom. Look at the Star Trek fandom. Look at our own My Little Pony frikin franchise fandom, you guys! The generation 1 fans are STILL out there and STILL being active on facebook, on mlparena, on MLPTP, on various Amino communities! Sure, they may be small and scattered, but THEY’RE STILL AROUND. Their fandom and love for silly little pastel ponies is STILL around after 35 years of this franchise being in existence, in spite of what limited resources they had barely even into the time of the internet. Meanwhile, a plethora of resources have been dropped into the FiM fandom’s lap- animators and a wide variety of animation software and tools, musicians and music editing software, artists and limitless art programs, plushie makers, sculpting creators, convention throwers, comic artists, fanfic makers, audio drama actors, podcasters, tutorial-makers, and more…..

But, of course, many of you who are straight up hitting the panic button just because FiM is ending don’t do research, and many still assume that “G2” is “My Little Pony Tales”, so I’m hardly surprised that these people might be the ones reaching for their life preservers and fearing the worst that this fandom is so dang fragile that everything will implode once the animated series wraps itself up. Can we just stop, take a step back, and actually LOOK at the long lasting fandoms that still exists, even in our own MLP franchise, in spite of their shows having been off the air for many years? Can we PLEASE be sensible, and use logic to conclude that the g4 fandom most certainly has enough support to survive just as long, if not longer than the 35 years that mlp g1 fandom has lasted? Please, people?

• Brohoof 7

But didn't you see the latest episode?! How can the fandom possibly survive or stand for the canon shattering reveal that...

Grandpa Gruff isn't actually any Griffon's Grandpa!

Clearly the writers don't know what they're doing or know anything about Pony lore! No wonder G4 is ending and I bet they're gonna ruin G5 too!

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

But didn't you see the latest episode?! How can the fandom possibly survive or stand for the canon shattering reveal that...

Hide contents

Grandpa Gruff isn't actually any Griffon's Grandpa!

Clearly the writers don't know what they're doing or know anything about Pony lore! No wonder G4 is ending and I bet they're gonna ruin G5 too!

LOL you might want to add a disclaimer to that post.

alert_sarcasm_ahead_by_piichixchan-d4zpx

Edited by Querch
  • Brohoof 5

Word of warning to everyone. Keep the discussion civil in this thread. This topic can be controversial for some. Anyone doing petty arguing or insulting each other will be met with punishment.

• Brohoof 3

• This topic was featured and unfeatured

I was mostly ignoring it (though that one tweet from one of the writers a few weeks ago stunned me a bit) but the real bombshell was the Bronycon announcement. I think that sent out a pretty big shockwave. And while I understand they're trying to do something cool, I get the feeling it wasn't really thought through. The impact it could have on everyone else, even other convention committees and such. It sent a very foreboding (and IMO, the wrong) message, especially when they were talking about the year 2025 at one point. Will it be a cool party? No doubt. But as far as the slow decaying burn that fandoms go through, this felt like the equivalent of tossing gasoline on it. I think a LOT of people got the rug yanked out from under them and that's not what we needed right now. That's nearly a decade's worth of cancellation that fans were previously resting in the security of. It feels to me like a hasty and irresponsible move. Nobody when they're already concerned wants to hear that one of the biggest "leaders" in the fandom is running for the hills.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

As someone who has been in this fandom since around S2, this has happened every few months since then, even when the fandom was at it's biggest point. I have no doubt it will continue to happen, and I tend to just ignore it. 

• Brohoof 4

I absolutely agree with this, getting very tired of the fear-mongering over G4 ending. The leaks of G5 have shown us some cool and interesting stuff, and while that doesn't guarantee that it will be of high quality, we should be willing to at least give it a chance. BronyCon ending, I understand people being concerned over. However, getting it to last almost an entire decade is impressive, come on. As always, there's what we all know about how so long as something with a fan following exists, that fan following will never truly go away, and to add to that, MLP isn't just a show or even just a franchise. It's also a concept, one that even some retired and faltering fans have admitted to still having some form of attachment to. With that attachment always lingering, this fandom will not end.

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, PoisonClaw said:

As someone who has been in this fandom since around S2, this has happened every few months since then, even when the fandom was at it's biggest point. I have no doubt it will continue to happen, and I tend to just ignore it. 

I was just about to post something like this. I remember people saying "the fandom is dying" since forever. This quote someone said on these forums stuck with me.

"By 2014, Bronies will just be a weird fad on the internet anyway"-A guy in /20112012.

I think the issue here stems from the mindset of people in this community, how much energy they use in the community and in what environment they find themselves interacting with the community.

What I mean is that when you pour your energy into something and you can see that it isn't returning as much as it used to the logical conclusion to be made there is that it is declining, when in reality only the people around you are moving on. Usually people project the declining people around them into the whole community. Because they cannot see the bigger picture from the 'safe zone'.

After that their vision is kind of biased towards that as they use that as their starting point if and when they are looking into it. That might only add more wood into the fire.

What I think is important in situations like that is to look the whole thing from another and bigger perspective gaining information that way on how the process is moving forward.

Though based on my experience people usually tend to be there where they find themselves comfortable and when that environment starts to crumble it can be tough.

I admit it is fact that the community doesn't seem as popular as it used to be bit that doesn't necessarily mean that the community is getting smaller.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

Word of warning to everyone. Keep the discussion civil in this thread. This topic can be controversial for some. Anyone doing petty arguing or insulting each other will be met with punishment.

In other words, behave or you're gonna get... Tazed. B)

More on topic, I also think it's a bit hyperchondriacal to assume the fandom is going to end anytime soon. Of course, like any community, it will change over time and probably shrink a bit, but die... nope.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I don’t know what the sam hill is wrong with this fandom, but the paranoia every few months from you guys that the FiM fandom is ending is annoying as heck and needs to stop. Seriously. There’s absolutely NO logical reason for anyone, ANYONE to be so dead set in their head that this fandom is going belly up to believe, even for a hot second that it is going to end. Look at the Star Wars fandom. Look at the Star Trek fandom. Look at our own My Little Pony frikin franchise fandom, you guys! The generation 1 fans are STILL out there and STILL being active on facebook, on mlparena, on MLPTP, on various Amino communities! Sure, they may be small and scattered, but THEY’RE STILL AROUND. Their fandom and love for silly little pastel ponies is STILL around after 35 years of this franchise being in existence, in spite of what limited resources they had barely even into the time of the internet. Meanwhile, a plethora of resources have been dropped into the FiM fandom’s lap- animators and a wide variety of animation software and tools, musicians and music editing software, artists and limitless art programs, plushie makers, sculpting creators, convention throwers, comic artists, fanfic makers, audio drama actors, podcasters, tutorial-makers, and more…..

But, of course, many of you who are straight up hitting the panic button just because FiM is ending don’t do research, and many still assume that “G2” is “My Little Pony Tales”, so I’m hardly surprised that these people might be the ones reaching for their life preservers and fearing the worst that this fandom is so dang fragile that everything will implode once the animated series wraps itself up. Can we just stop, take a step back, and actually LOOK at the long lasting fandoms that still exists, even in our own MLP franchise, in spite of their shows having been off the air for many years? Can we PLEASE be sensible, and use logic to conclude that the g4 fandom most certainly has enough support to survive just as long, if not longer than the 35 years that mlp g1 fandom has lasted? Please, people?

The fandom freaked out for Twi drinking excessive ammounts of Red Bull, pastel humans, communist horse being part of the main cast, and the birth of the very embodiment of diabeetus.... hard to not expect it to freak out for the possible end of the fandom :laugh:

Edited by Steve Piranha

• 2 years later...
On 8/9/2018 at 1:00 AM, ManaMinori said:

I am worried though, since you last visited this forum:May 14

The fandom ends when the fans stop being fans, and one sign is when they don't return to the fandom :worry: