Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why has Spike never had the urge to eat the Elements of Harmony

ManaMinori

Does anyone else find this a little strange? The elements of harmony are jewels/crystals, and of the same material that the Tree of Harmony used to matetialize and construct Twilight's castle. This was seen when Ember, upon arriving in Ponyville, began eating the inside of the castle.  So why has Spike-a dragon- never shown a desire to consume the elements of harmony, before?

Edited by Jeric
Less vague title
  • Brohoof 1

Gems are like candy, not crack and Ember lacks understanding and respect for others surroundings. Spike also understands their importance and perhaps dragons are keenly aware of a difference between regular and enchanted gems.

• Brohoof 4

Spike realizes how important the Elements of Harmony are and prioritizes loyalty to his friends over gluttonous desires. It is odd how unlike Ember, he never tried eating the inside of the castle before, but I suppose with maturity comes self-restraint. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

I was wondering what urge you were talking about...

He knows how important the Elements are, and I'm pretty sure he knows better than to eat random jewellery. He's probably considered how tasty they look, however. 

• Brohoof 2

Spike was raised around ponies, so he knows that he should be considerate of others. He has been shown to eat gems, but he's shown plenty of restraint in the past for similar reasons. Even though that's mostly around Rarity and Twilight specifically, I'm pretty sure it applies in general.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with gems beeing more like candy for him. After all, he gave Rarity his Fire Ruby. Off course, it was Rarity, but it shows he does not just eat every gem around him without thinking. Also, without him beeing able to controll his urges, crystal ponies would not call him hero, but devourer

• Brohoof 1

You guys forget that the Elements of Harmony came a magic tree that was originally planted by Starswirl and the Pillars to watch over the Realm in their absence of Limbo. It's so obvious that there's magic in there that keeps any gem-eating creatures from consuming the Element of Harmony. Come on, even a 5 year boy can come to that conclusion.

@Nightmare Muffin

I don't exactly know what you mean from this. Like said above, I'm pretty sure that gems are delicacy and not catnip for equestrian dragons.

Spike knows what the Elements of Harmony represent and that eating them would be nothing short of a disaster for Equestria. Other dragons don't know this and so they would have the urge to consume them without feeling guilty over what it would mean. Spike does have cravings for gems on occasion but that usually has to do with story and plot convenience so as to give him something to do in a given episode.

Spike and his friends already had one horrid experience with him "O.D.ing" on gems. I think he learned his lesson there and has no desire to repeat that. Besides though, it's not like they leave the Elements just laying around the house. They're either wearing them or they're kept locked up in a chest that requires six keys to open. I think they're safe.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

2 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I’m glad the title was changed... I chuckled every time I saw this thread talking about Spike’s “urges.”

Yeah that was funny. My first thought: "Umm... he has DEFINITELY had the urge..."