Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are you doing for Halloween?

CandyCorn

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Plus Halloween is creepy IMO just through sheer concept alone. Kids going in strangers doors and asking them to be tricked or treat while dressed up as ungodly abominations and supernatural creatures. This doesn’t bode well with anyone on the receiving end.

I'm going Trunk or Treating in a spoopy Halloween costume! Hey, I know I am 19 years old, but there is no such thing as being too old to have fun and get candy! Well, I won't be trick or treating until after supper, so during the morning and afternoon I will probably be doing normal stuff.

Edited by SpookyEnergy

Halloween? It's Halloween again? I do what I always do on Halloween. Go to my basement get a couple of beers, some shots and watch some movies. Well I'm 17. I shouldn't be out there and getting some candy. Wait you are never to old for candy (just as pinkie said). I'm not into this whole candy getting thing so a nice chill in front of a television. 

Sadly, I can't trick-or-treat anymore. Too old- now it's just harassing folks for sweets lol
It's a shame because we were kinda excited for it, then realised we're not really allowed to anymore:((((

On 10/20/2018 at 2:33 PM, ZethaPonderer said:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Plus Halloween is creepy IMO just through sheer concept alone. Kids going in strangers doors and asking them to be tricked or treat while dressed up as ungodly abominations and supernatural creatures. This doesn’t bode well with anyone on the receiving end.

Well it comes down to the origins of Halloween. See, as a Pagan holiday (Samhain), originally since this time of the year is considered to be the time where the veil between the living and the dead is it's thinnest. So spirits can pass through, good and bad. You dressed up so the bad spirits didn't recognise you and give you bad luck for the rest of the year. The idea of candy came from the sense of offerings to the spirits. We Pagans today still set food out as offerings for wandering spirits. And the jack-o-lantern actually used to be a turnip, but graduated to pumpkin over the years and was used as a "lantern" to light the way for spirits. Everything has it's roots, and while that may still seem 'creepy' and I'm by no means trying to change your opinion, the "spirit" of the holiday is simply that, spirits. And just taking precautionary measures to ensure good spirits visit and bring luck and the bad spirits pass over you.

I personally plan on going to one party, and then taking some food for offerings out to the local cemeteries and just have a few quiet moments relaxing and meditating in the dark. Also around this time of year I like to send prayers and blessings via my altar.

• Brohoof 2

On 10/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, King Blanketfort said:

Well it comes down to the origins of Halloween. See, as a Pagan holiday (Samhain), originally since this time of the year is considered to be the time where the veil between the living and the dead is it's thinnest. So spirits can pass through, good and bad. You dressed up so the bad spirits didn't recognise you and give you bad luck for the rest of the year. The idea of candy came from the sense of offerings to the spirits. We Pagans today still set food out as offerings for wandering spirits. And the jack-o-lantern actually used to be a turnip, but graduated to pumpkin over the years and was used as a "lantern" to light the way for spirits. Everything has it's roots, and while that may still seem 'creepy' and I'm by no means trying to change your opinion, the "spirit" of the holiday is simply that, spirits. And just taking precautionary measures to ensure good spirits visit and bring luck and the bad spirits pass over you.

I personally plan on going to one party, and then taking some food for offerings out to the local cemeteries and just have a few quiet moments relaxing and meditating in the dark. Also around this time of year I like to send prayers and blessings via my altar.

First of all. Thanks for the insight. It doesn't change my perspective of this holiday being creepy, but I guess for some people they can consider my perspective of this holiday as a compliment in a way. I have my reasons for why I find such a holiday like this creepy, but I don't think it would be fitting to discuss my reasons here since it's too controversial, people reading the short version of my reasons would badly misinterpret it, and in hindsight would definitely be a topic under Debate Pit which I might consider doing (if I feel like it).

As for Halloween being equivalent to the Celtic Pagan Tradition of Samhain I don't know if that holds true though since there are some sources that says otherwise about the Present Halloween not being equivalent to Samhain. I guess Samhain could be considered as the origin of Present Halloween though in some ways, but both Traditions do their own thing in the end. Maybe you can elaborate further about this matter?

The part I found really interesting in your comment that I bolded out for convenience is the notion of people dressing up as monsters to be unrecognizable to bad spirits. While I appreciate your sentiment to share your religious viewpoint about this matter, IDK if what you say would work well under my case. Since I abide under my own religious viewpoint, I fight my evil spirits instead of hiding away from them. I find it very unjust that just because my ancestor did something bad for a witch or a wizard or an evil spirit to lay a curse upon them doesn't mean that I as my ancestor's descendant have to suffer the same curse as them. Descendants are usually not like their Ancestors every now and then. Hence, I stand for myself and fight them off until the curse is no more.

I purify myself on a daily basis through self-reflection, acknowledge my faults, take great shame at them, and fix myself while making sure I am and do not come across as a sanctimonious, hypocritical, holier-than-art-thou, self-righteous prick. If I am a sanctimonious, hypocritical, holier-than-art-thou self righteous prick, then I shouldn't have any reason to self-reflect in the first place since I would believe that I have no flaws and thus am morally superior to everyone when I clearly do have flaws like any other Human Being.That way I'll fight off the evil spirits and be a constant annoyance to them so much that they would be driven to insanity and immediately run away from me.

Bottom line based on my personal experience, is that evil spirits don't know when to give up and get stronger, so judging by this tradition to dress up as monsters in order to be unrecognizable to bad spirits, IDK if that works. Wouldn't spirits generally have the ability to look through a person's monster disguise regardless of them being good or bad? It's a puzzling question indeed when talking about the notion of spirits that most people nowadays don't believe spirits exist for granted.

Because the bottom line is that I believe in spirits and abide on my beliefs to fight the evil spirits off and get stronger than them till the day I die.

Thanks for the history and spiritual discussion behind Halloween. I appreciate it. I apologize if I hurt you in anyway. That's not my intention, but whatever floats your boat. :) 

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Stating out my gratitude and apology in underline

I also feel like I’m to old for trick or treating plus I live in a condominium. But I will give up that night to letting other kids have an amazing Halloween! I will walk them around other doors where I live to help them trick or treat! Being generous really makes u feel good!:mlp_yeehaa:

On 10/24/2018 at 7:05 AM, ZethaPonderer said:

First of all. Thanks for the insight. It doesn't change my perspective of this holiday being creepy, but I guess for some people they can consider my perspective of this holiday as a compliment in a way. I have my reasons for why I find such a holiday like this creepy, but I don't think it would be fitting to discuss my reasons here since it's too controversial, people reading the short version of my reasons would badly misinterpret it, and in hindsight would definitely be a topic under Debate Pit which I might consider doing (if I feel like it).

As for Halloween being equivalent to the Celtic Pagan Tradition of Samhain I don't know if that holds true though since there are some sources that says otherwise about the Present Halloween not being equivalent to Samhain. I guess Samhain could be considered as the origin of Present Halloween though in some ways, but both Traditions do their own thing in the end. Maybe you can elaborate further about this matter?

The part I found really interesting in your comment that I bolded out for convenience is the notion of people dressing up as monsters to be unrecognizable to bad spirits. While I appreciate your sentiment to share your religious viewpoint about this matter, IDK if what you say would work well under my case. Since I abide under my own religious viewpoint, I fight my evil spirits instead of hiding away from them. I find it very unjust that just because my ancestor did something bad for a witch or a wizard or an evil spirit to lay a curse upon them doesn't mean that I as my ancestor's descendant have to suffer the same curse as them. Descendants are usually not like their Ancestors every now and then. Hence, I stand for myself and fight them off until the curse is no more.

I purify myself on a daily basis through self-reflection, acknowledge my faults, take great shame at them, and fix myself while making sure I am and do not come across as a sanctimonious, hypocritical, holier-than-art-thou, self-righteous prick. If I am a sanctimonious, hypocritical, holier-than-art-thou self righteous prick, then I shouldn't have any reason to self-reflect in the first place since I would believe that I have no flaws and thus am morally superior to everyone when I clearly do have flaws like any other Human Being.That way I'll fight off the evil spirits and be a constant annoyance to them so much that they would be driven to insanity and immediately run away from me.

Bottom line based on my personal experience, is that evil spirits don't know when to give up and get stronger, so judging by this tradition to dress up as monsters in order to be unrecognizable to bad spirits, IDK if that works. Wouldn't spirits generally have the ability to look through a person's monster disguise regardless of them being good or bad? It's a puzzling question indeed when talking about the notion of spirits that most people nowadays don't believe spirits exist for granted.

Because the bottom line is that I believe in spirits and abide on my beliefs to fight the evil spirits off and get stronger than them till the day I die.

Thanks for the history and spiritual discussion behind Halloween. I appreciate it. I apologize if I hurt you in anyway. That's not my intention, but whatever floats your boat. :) 

Well, while I'm not insulted or hurt in anyway I can say I certainly didn't expect such a lengthy reply. I mean, I wasn't being derogatory towards what you believe in, nor do I look down upon it, or question it, I was just saying a thing. I was just giving a general history of the holiday. So yes Samhain was harvest season, it's the fall equinox, and some of these traditions over the years, and as religious views changed and so forth things certainly got watered down and now it's the "kids holiday" that so many people know of it today taking only loosely certain aspects. But some things have still survived such as the offerings, dressing up (though it's not really for the same reasons anymore) and jack-o-lanterns.

But I mean, as a Pagan, I can honestly agree with you that yes, spirits can see through much more than a mask, and if possible, with the right information and experience and proper protection, certain spirits can be fought off and not hidden from. I was only giving the "old fashioned" reason for why the masks and costumes were once used. I never said it was fool-proof, nor did I even once say I believed it to be effective in any way, shape or form. XD That's just what people thought back then. I thought it was more interesting on the "oh hey lol" sense, you know, something of a "fun tid-bit" is all. 
Basically, you do what you feel is needed or effective in protecting you from evil spirits. Different things work on different spirits and some things are pretty base-line. It really all depends on what you're dealing with. Each religion has it's own scripts, mantras, chants, spells, etc to help ward off all types of spirits. In all honesty, my whole response was "It's really funny you say it's creepy because here's a fun fact, "(enter said fact), but I can understand how someone can still find that creepy. Not trying to change your mind or nothin' just thought it was fun information to share." 
And that's... literally the way I meant it. But I appreciate the extrapolation, it gives me a better sense of your stances in case we ever have more conversations at length in the future.

Edited by King Blanketfort

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I think for halloween this year I'll just get some shopping done and not do much this year.  I would LOVE to decorate my house in a halloween theme so I've been slowly looking for halloween types of decorations.  I only have a small amount of things to decorate with but it's better than nothing, I suppose.  If I had the money to do so, I would like my home to look like halloween threw up everywhere, for most of the year, if not all year.  I probably would go nuts with the custom fabric over on spoonflower and get a ton of halloween themed fabrics lol.  I love halloween, it's the best time of year!!!

• Brohoof 1

Not go outside, not give candies, and not go to any party of course BECAUSE THERE'S A GOD**** PANDEMIC OUT THERE. There's zombies everywhere right now.

I will dress in my plague doctor costume thought and share my photos. It's going to be fun :P

• Brohoof 3