EG: Spring Breakout

Steve Piranha

I enjoyed the special. The Pony world parts were the best. I was particularly pleased with the fact that Sci Twi as a pony lacked Alicorn wings as that makes so much more sense to have her just be a unicorn. Human SciTwi is ADORABLE as a pony and her freakout made me laugh. I particularly liked when she bonded with pony Princess Twilight and tried to levitate desert with Magic LOL. It was cute that human and regular Rainbow Dash look the same in pony form and that they got to meet pony Pinkie Pie in Ponyvile. 

You guys are right. This special must take place immediately after the movie. I had not noticed that when watching. 

What I didn't like as much is the whole special seemed really rushed. Human Rainbow Dash really got on my nerves and made herself look like an idiot. Most of the boat scenes were not as interesting as the pony scenes, and they had a lot of missed opportunities. I so wanted to see Flash Sentry in pony form try to flirt with Princess Twilight and then try to convince Sunset Shimmer to let him stay in Equestria. I wanted to see someone mistake Sci Twi for Princess Twilight. I also wish the entire Human Mane 6 and Pony Mane 6 could have interacted all together and both groups of main characters got to see each other's worlds. I have been DYING to see that for years! Also, how did Sunset manage to sneak all the humans from the boat around PonyVile in pony form. 

• Brohoof 6

2 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

So; any thoughts on this special? I could tell plenty on EqD were annoyed with how Rainbow was portrayed, and yeah that did get aggravating, but overall found it was enjoyable.

People said the same thing about her portrayal in Rainbow Rocks and I thought that shit was really blown out of proportion. And given what i’ve heard from the criticisms here, as well as what @cmarston1 and similar sentiments like his, i’m getting the same vibes here too

• Brohoof 2

If I had to list one pro and one con: it would be as follows:

Pro: No Antagonist. The danger comes not from a character using Equestrian Magic for evil or selfish reasons, but the danger comes from unfortunate side-effect of magic leaking out from a portal hidden on the island

Con: Slow paced beginning. It took half the time of the special before a few EQG characters made it to the other side. Counting commercial time. I thought they would cross over earlier at about the 15 minutes in mark.

Overall, I enjoyed it nonetheless. So, I would give it a 7/10

• Brohoof 4

So amongst the artifacts there was the Staff of Sacanas of course! But then I noticed the Alicorn Amulet (which I thought Zecora hid away), Starlight's Staff of Sameness (isn't that just a stick?), Boneless (I thought he turned into a key?), Mr. Turnip (is he more powerful than he seems?), then some of the legend artifacts from season 8: Amulet of Aurora, Crown of Grover, Knuckerbocker's Shell, and Talisman of Mirage. The rest I didn't recognize. 

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 3

15 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

So amongst the artifacts there was the Staff of Sacanas of course! But then I noticed the Alicorn Amulet (which I thought Zecora hid away), Starlight's Staff of Sameness (isn't that just a stick?), Boneless (I thought he turned into a key?), Mr. Turnip (is he more powerful than he seems?), then some of the legend artifacts from season 8: Amulet of Aurora, Crown of Grover, Knuckerbocker's Shell, and Talisman of Mirage. The rest I didn't recognize. 

One of those things is a dice block from that time they played Dragon's Pit.

2 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Spoilers plus a question:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Did human Rainbow Dash's pony form have any noticeable differences like, a ponytail?

2. Both Twilight Sparkle's were *so* adorkable!

Spoiler

Weren’t they? :ticking: I thought it would have been funny it the Principal Celestia and Luna were on the boat too and pony Twilight saw them in pony form and had a freak out moment.

• Brohoof 3

Very entertaining special.

I didn't like the 'cruise in a storm' setting because of how serious the situation should be and how it had to be handled because of the light nature of EQG. But even with that happening, it still kept me curious about what was going to happen and I didn't fall into boredom.

Some random thoughts:

- When I saw this was going to be in a boat I had imagined it was going to be set on Crystal Prep's yacht celebration with the Rainbooms as guest artists.

- Rainbow Dash being annoying and Pinkie Pie being a hypocrite about it, it's not cool when they do it to you, is it Pinkie?

- Didn't like how they shoved away AJ with the seasick excuse, I get that having Dash in the spotlight could demand less lines from AJ, but I didn't like all the green faces and vomit reflexes. Definitely a believable and effective excuse, but a bit disgusting for my AJ enjoyment.

- Rarity is such a cliched romantic! Her crushing like that over a nice foreigner was funny, although I had a hard time understanding Ragamuffin's accent.

- SciTwi was absolutely amazing, her insecurities, the argument with Rainbow, her decision to make things up with her and her reaction to being a pony were all great!

- Rainbow Dash was also amazing, annoying during the first five minutes but still going all out Dash's style. Then her real show begins when she sees the Storm King's sign on the water.

- There could've been no better pair of characters to drive the story than Dash and SciTwi, and having Sunset as the middle ground between them was also great.

- The rescue felt very underwhelming, with everything that was happening on the ship there should have been at least a couple of injuries. Then the girls doing all the work and the tripulation watching was a bit cringey.

Overall, it was an ok special. Better than the magic specials trilogy but still below Forgotten Friendship and Rollercoaster of Friendship.

Edited by DonMaguz
  • Brohoof 2

I'm beginning to see why this special wasn't hyped up all that much in comparison to previous exploits involving Equestria Girls. I suspect that the writers might not have been too confident about this one seeing as it does have problems which are blatantly obvious, but then, this is common with both EQG and Friendship is Magic, so I really can't use that as an excuse.

After having just finished watching this special, the problems mainly revolve around the first half. Suffice to say, it dragged on way too long for its own good and it became very cringe inducing until we got to the island. Rainbow Dash didn't help matters what with how she behaved--I've not yet seen how Equestria Daily reacted to her portrayal but I suspect that they didn't like it--and while she did mellow out in the second half, the first half gave her quite the negative perception. Looking for adventure is fine and all but not if it means sacrificing happiness and wanting to prove a point. Yes, they are superheroes, but Rainbow went about it in a way that shows perhaps the Rainbooms may not be the heroic type. I will give props to the first half providing some character development, new characters, gags, and the usual shenanigans. On the other hand, if I were to watch this special again, I'd be doing myself a favour by skipping straight to the island, as that is where things truly pick up.

Other portals to Equestria... surprised it took them this long to reveal such information, but then it was to be expected. I loved the scenes in Equestria, from Sci-Twi freaking out over being a pony, Sunset guiding them around Ponyville in such a ridiculous manner, to everyone interacting in Princess Twilight's throne room. Those are perhaps the most iconic moments along with what turned out to be the problem, namely, leftover magic courtesy of the Storm King. I liked this approach as it meant no one got corrupted by Equestrian Magic and the events of the movie are now canon with Equestria Girls. Even the Staff of Sarcanas made an appearance--surprised that Princess Twilight decided to keep it around instead of simply destroying it due to how it came into existence. Continuity did take a slight blow due to Spike apparently not having his wings which means this special occurred either before season eight began or during the first episodes of that season before Spike gained wings.

That conclusion... You know, the one at the very end where Sunset brought the passengers and crew to Equestria. I wish this scene had been given a slightly longer sequence as it felt like it ended way too quickly and would've made for one heck of an ending. But, I do appreciate actually getting something, but more importantly, it means that multiple people have now made their way into Equestria through no fault of their own. This is something that can be expanded on given what we saw so hopefully it can be taken advantage of in the future. One last thing before I wrap this up. Sunset still has guilt over her actions in the first movie due to being the one who brought magic into the human world. The idea she could simply move on wasn't very realistic so having her reminisce about such things makes her flawed rather than being perfect at practically everything.

I'm sure I overlooked a lot here but I think I'll leave things at that.

Overall... I have to give this special a 75%.

• Brohoof 4

12 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

The idea she could simply move on wasn't very realistic so having her reminisce about such things makes her flawed rather than being perfect at practically everything.

Better late than never, I suppose.

I really liked the special. Although, I have to wonder how all these high school students could afford to go on a cruise by themselves. ^_^ Honestly, I was pretty surprised Storm King stuff showed up. I'm curious how that magic got into the human world in the first place, of course, that's a plot hole of every EQG special these days. :-P I guess I'll just roll with it. Hopefully we keep getting some more specials soon!

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Partialgeek514 said:

Although, I have to wonder how all these high school students could afford to go on a cruise by themselves.

I was *just* about to ask this question, myself. :o Did the students have a fundraiser or something? 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

Better late than never, I suppose.

Very true.

29 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I was *just* about to ask this question, myself. :o Did the students have a fundraiser or something? 

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

I didn't ever think Pinkie Pie from Equestria was going to meet Sunset Shimmer or Sci-Twi, but boy, was I in for a surprise!

I'll bet in the aftermath, she might have had flashbacks of that Mirror Pond incident when she sees her Human Counterpart Pony'd.

• Brohoof 1

yeah, this was garbage. RD was stupid and annoying. The whole....whatever we got with Ragamuffin and Rarity was pointless. HOW ARE THERE OTHER PORTALS IN THE HUMAN WORLD? What's the backstory of it being on an isolated island?

Staff of Sacanas in EG means EG is canon to FiM now, apparently.

How is a cake strong enough (in water, mind you) to trap someone? How the hell did it get around her leg, anyway?

this is just stupid.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

How exactly?

As far as I know, implications work the other way around...

34 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

yeah, this was garbage. RD was stupid and annoying. The whole....whatever we got with Ragamuffin and Rarity was pointless. HOW ARE THERE OTHER PORTALS IN THE HUMAN WORLD? What's the backstory of it being on an isolated island?

How is a cake strong enough (in water, mind you) to trap someone? How the hell did it get around her leg, anyway?

this is just stupid.

Well, it wasn't as good as Rollercoaster. I mean, they weren't gonna have fan-worthy moments that make us wish Human Flash Sentry switched places with Pony Flash Sentry. I'd rather SaburoDaimando not go with the idea of TWO Rarities going after Two Flash Sentrys, just to piss off Louis Steffen, who believes Flash Sentry to be his best friend. If it were up to me, I'd have Modern Shadow converse with Sunset and Starlight, only to be encountered by Boom Shadow, have a cow dropped upon Boom Shadow, to prove that Dimensional Paradoxes mean nothing in MLP AND SFM!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

So from What I understand, it end on a comedic cliffhanger? 

Spoiler

that ending of them traveling into Equestria to get back home better have a payoff soon on the EQG side of thing.

50 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I’m surprised having Human Rarity after a dude is not causing a meltdown with the Rarijackers :dash:

think Tenderhoofs from FIM, it's not going to mean anything.  Heck EQG Spike transforming into a human teen and human Rarity becoming attractived to him is more likely to happen.

I liked this one almost as much as Forgotten Friendship, honestly. I can see why Rainbow Dash at the beginning was annoying to some people, but you gotta relate to her frustration and boredom when you imagine an Equestria Girls special without some kind of evil, magical threat and she was even willing to admit that she was wrong right before she turned out to be right, which I thought was hilarious. I also loved the twist with the tie-in to the FiM world even more than in FF, since this time, there was a sense of peril with the EG characters not wanting to be seen by their counterparts. Even better was the twist with the Storm King's magic being the villain, the implication that he was trying to kill them from beyond the grave (see Castle Mane-ia and Pinkie's line about those lightning strikes being oddly specific at destroying the life boats). I just hope that the ending is the set-up for the next special or movie and not just comic relief. :P

• Brohoof 2

And after Forgotten Friendship I was hoping they can finally produce something intresting in EG... Well, I'd rather watch an episode about Spike going to a dragon wedding.

• Brohoof 2