Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general When to get a new computer.

CastletonSnob

I still routinely use computers that are around 10-13 years old.

I'd say it's time to get a new computer when it can no longer run the programs you use or breaks for good. How old is too old? Maybe Windows XP era or older. Vista and newer machines seem to run Windows 10 fine, especially after adding RAM and an SSD.

I'd say generally around the area of 5-10 years, or when your computer won't run what you want it to anymore. Or of course when it breaks...

I mean my computer is about 8 now, and it's been running fine since it got a thorough dusting a few months ago. 

As for how old is too old, there really isn't an answer to that, it sort of depends on personal preference. My dad's got a 20 year old laptop working fine with a relatively new version of Linux, though somebody like me would have needed a new computerm twice over in that time.

About 6-8 years, but that is if they broke down a little earlier. I've gotten through two including my newest one so far.

Edited by TBD

I would say, once it reaches the point where doing the most basic of tasks is tedious and near impossible. My grandfather has had the same working  desktop since 2005, so I'm sure keeping a computer for that long is very possible.

I recently switched to Mac, but I'd say it's probably time to replace them when Apple stops releasing macOS versions for them. This seems to be about 7-8 years which is about when people replace their TVs.

When it just feels like time to upgrade for you,

like getting more games on it, or just it's too slow,

you figure out from your usage,

for example, I feel I need to upgrade from my shit 3 yrs old acer, but a macbook pro user would find their PC perfectly fine for the next atleast 5 years 

I only get new computers after the old ones break. :nom: Believe it or not, I've had to get two new computers in just the past year, both reasons being for the screen cracking. I still can't believe they can be so fragile that all it takes to crack them is a little headphone. :dry:

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

For normal use I'd say about 6 to 10 years. Security/support being the main reasons.

My grandpa was using a 486 from 1991 until 2004. Windows 95 (added later) took 10 minutes just to load :blink:

Edited by Cirrus.

I’m actually building one right now ! It’s taking a few months becouse of a low budget :stressed: 

but i am almost done with it ! Here is what I got so far xD 

Case: NZXT H500i 

Motherboard : h370 MSI gaming plus

cpu: i7 8700k 

graphics card: nvidia rtx 2060

ssd : Samsung 500gb

psu : evga 850w 80+gold

ram : Trident Z 2666mhz 16gb

AIO : Corsair platinum RGB (don’t have it yet ) and it’s hopefully will be built by the end of this month xD 

(edited)

I say use your present computer until it dies. Mine has been dying for a couple years now (it's about 6 years old) but I can still kick it to life if I jiggle the cord and sweet-talk the thing, so it still has a little mileage left (I hope). Getting a new computer set up is too much work for a technical illiterate like me, so I’ll hold it off for as long as I can.  

Edited by Dreambiscuit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you have enough money to purchase parts for one. That is why mine at the moment is a frankenstien of new parts and old parts.