Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can ponies get their cutie marks changed?

Sepul-Coloratura

Have you ever thought of the possibility of ponies getting their cutie marks changed, upgraded or getting a second one? I mean people can change so as their purpose of life or what they do best can change. I'd like to know what you think.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

I highly doubt it. It was already shown to be considered abnormal to have more than one cutiemark. And it was also shown that if your cutiemark gets switched with somepony else's you won't be able to do their talent as well as they can.

Cutie Marks are tied to one's destiny. You can choose the path you take, and you can enhance your skills in any area, but there's always something we're good at naturally that affects how we live one way or another. This is even more so in Equestria.

2 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

It would be depressing if they couldn’t. People’s goals, desires and interests change. But we’ve seen no evidence of this in the show, so it’s assumed that it’s not possible.

I don't think it's too depressing, because we've seen that ponies can still have goals, desires and careers that aren't even really related to their mark, so it's not like they're locked into something because of it.

Plus, it seems like the marks kind of represent something fundamental about ponies, something that represents them so well it'll fit for their entire life, and a lot of the marks are pretty ambiguous and leave some room open for interpretation to boot.

24 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

It would be depressing if they couldn’t. People’s goals, desires and interests change. But we’ve seen no evidence of this in the show, so it’s assumed that it’s not possible.

Equestria is an utopian world, so if ponies have a purpose in life they had their destiny literally marked and they ideally will just feel happy about it. It's their calling. It's more likely they will forget about it, get confused or lost in the way but their Mark is there to remind them what they are special at. That doesn't mean they can't do other things and be good at them too, like pinkie's calling is parties but she's very good at baking too. So the fact that you have a certain cutie mark doesn't detract you from doing other things if you want. Like, you can do this and be good at it too but you will always be the best at "insert cutie mark here".

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

I don't think it's too depressing, because we've seen that ponies can still have goals, desires and careers that aren't even really related to their mark, so it's not like they're locked into something because of it.

Plus, it seems like the marks kind of represent something fundamental about ponies, something that represents them so well it'll fit for their entire life, and a lot of the marks are pretty ambiguous and leave some room open for interpretation to boot.

That's the best description I've seen so far.

Me personally? I actually thought of writing something unique. a story where the main character is an adult blank flank whose Cutie Mark appears piece by piece rather all at once. It's tied to his memories, meaning as he got to spend some time getting to know the Mane 6, he starts to remember his personal history, personality, and such.

And as a result, first a open blank page book appears. Then a Castle in the page. Next a Heart. Finally a Star Shining from behind!

As a whole, his complete cutie mark symbolizes that he is a storyteller, especially of the ones made by Disney represented by the Castle in the book. The Heart subtly represents his caring attitude (and his hidden Changeling side) Above all, the star represents Hope.

To sum up. While I don't think Cutie Marks change as described by the OP. The point of Cutie Mark being a representation of who you are is still important.

• Brohoof 1

maybe they can change cutie marks magically. I don't think it would be well seen by others, kinda like controversial, but i imagine there would be a black market for that :dash:

Just think about how many ponies would actually use that service to get a better position in life or something and Starlight has made canon the switching, swapping and manipulation of cutiemarks. Of course you would have to get one naturally first like what happened with Applebloom.

6 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Have you ever thought of the possibility of ponies getting their cutie marks changed, upgraded or getting a second one? I mean people can change so as their purpose of life or what they do best can change. I'd like to know what you think.

I don't think it's possible under normal circumstances. We have seen powerful magic messing with them on occasion, but the results are not usually healthy. It's possible future reaserch in that field might yeild results though.

Of course, it matters her what you think a cutie mark is. In my opinion, it's only a picture, and we know it can be covered by makeup. So if you really don't like yours, you can always make it disappear - even paint another one. But you will always know that it's a mask.

Starlight knows how to do it, although its probably a bad idea. Otherwise the closest they come to answer this question is the cutie pox and how twilight magiced some CM on applebloom in season 1(but they instantly disappeared).

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 1