Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can cutie marks change/evolve?

My little pwny

This is a interesting question actually because in Season 2 of MLP when Grannysmith was telling about the story of how Ponyville was founded, Filthyrich had a cutie mark of a cent symbol. When he grew up, it changed to dollars.

So it can be true.

That was his dad stinkin rich

I don't think a ponies cutie mark can change because it really appears after they have found there life's like greatest talent and that doesn't really change maybe through a completely life changing experience though. Like if rainbow dash broke her wings and her talent couldn't be flying her cutie mark may have to change.

Well dang, never thought of an evolving cutie mark. I know that a cutie mark is supposed to represent the pony in a summed up detail what they represent, so for instance Fluttershy has butterfly's, so it could represent beauty and gentleness, but also passive and frail.

To have one to entirely change would mean that the pony itself would have to change completely from the original pony's entire being.

An evolving cutie mark though, that's IS a bit different isn't it. It's not a change per se, but more of a development in character. So maybe people with cutie marks that have those developments weren't fully out with who they were but were on the right tracks; like they needed experience in their skill and have a stronger character to get their fully developed cutie marks.

Just going to throw this out there. in "The Cutie Pox" when Applebloom cheated to get her cutie mark, she got two at one point. Cheerilee stated it was possible for a pony to have more than one cutie mark, just that it was very unlikely. Although that has nothing to do with an "evolving cutie mark" the fact that a pony could have two or more cutie marks makes the evolving cutie mark more possible.

• Brohoof 1

Now my ideas for "evolved" cutie marks of the main six

Twilight = a colored aura encompasses all the star sparkles

Pinkie = the 3 balloons become attached to presents as if the presents are anchors/weights

Applejack = the 3 apples are "placed" in a treetop and its a tree cutie mark

Rarity = each of the 3 gems are "placed" inside three pieces of jewelry

Rainbow = the lightning bolt branches out a little

Fluttershy = hmm, idk about this one

I was thinking about this question awhile ago but in a different manner. From one of my fics:

"Is it possible in Celestia's Equestria for a pony to feel disconnected? For somepony to want a change of pace so badly that their cutie mark - the symbol that best represents their philosophy and character - could change?"

I think the answer is a resounding yes. People change, ponies change. I don't see why an evolving cutie mark is more likely than a full-on change.

• Brohoof 1

(I can't believe I'm doing this.)

I don't know if this counts, but hey, it's something.

G3

Posted Image

G4

Posted Image

Fluttershy = hmm, idk about this one

3 caterpillars, maybe with similar color palettes to the butterflies she has now?

I didn't think cutie mark had anything to do with destiny. I thought It was just your special talent. Unlike on earth, I guess in equestria everyone has something that theyre just naturally good at. Also, I dont really think there is any fate. I dont like the idea that im not in control of my own actions. And cutie marks telling me what to do dosent seem very appealing.

A couple more things that make me think its not just there job/what there good at:

Rainbow dash loves going fast, but thats not her job, and she likes it "the only thing I liked more then going fast, was winning!"

I actually didnt know The mlp wikapedia said this until simcity11100 pointed it out, but it says "In the series, numerous evidence has shown that the cutie marks appearance will only take place if the pony acknowledges their talent"

Don´t worry, make that arrow thing. Remember the words of wisdom: In love, war and fanfic, everything is legal.

And make sure to post the fanfic on this forum, sounds interesting to me. :blush:

Posted Image

(edited)

I don't see the point of a cutie mark changing or evolving. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but what would change for the pony? Their abilities and skills would not change that much I think. Maybe if something was added to their cutie mark to show they have other skills maybe.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I don't think it can evolve because it's a sign of what ponies are great at in their life. I don't think they can change because it's like a destiny or fate kind of thing.

What about that rich pony? At first its a cent sign (young) then it turns to a $ (older) See? It's possible!

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of evolving Cutie Marks:

I look at cutie marks as essentially the truename of a pony. This is similar to a magical truename. It is the aspect of a pony that defines what it is and is typically unchanging. Under normal circumstances a truename will never change. If it does that means that a person or in this case a pony has lost herself or the primary aspect of herself. This is not to say that it never happens but it is usually a very bad sign if it does.

• Brohoof 1

On the topic of evolving Cutie Marks:

I look at cutie marks as essentially the truename of a pony. This is similar to a magical truename. It is the aspect of a pony that defines what it is and is typically unchanging. Under normal circumstances a truename will never change. If it does that means that a person or in this case a pony has lost herself or the primary aspect of herself. This is not to say that it never happens but it is usually a very bad sign if it does.

We think we can all agree that understanding Cutie Marks are confusing. Still, this does make a lot of sense.

• 6 months later...

3/13 brought this to the fore in a way that even I wouldn't have tread.  The cutie marks changed and then they felt compelled to do what the cutie marks represented.

This almost makes one wonder if it is even possible for a pony to really hate what their cutie mark represents.

• Brohoof 1

In my eyes a cutie mark can evolve or change, that is to say if your special talent changed. This however I would imagine is rare, a cutie mark takes time to obtain, it doesn't just indicate a trend or a fad, it shows what your heart truly likes and I think for that to change there would have to be something that had a huge impact on your life.

Personally I don't think so. Once you've got your cutie mark, that's it, it's yours. It's there for a reason, it's your special talent. The whole point about a cutie mark not appearing until you know who you are means that it doesn't change. A mark doesn't just appear over discovering something you kinda like, it's the thing that makes you, you.

• Brohoof 1

i don't think it would be all that rare i think it would happen about as much as a collage student changes majors.

Your destiny is not comparable to a college degree :P After all, that's what the cutie marks are. It's a mark of their destiny, not a mark of knowledge.

• Brohoof 1

Cutie Marks can't really change or evolve. It is what you are given, when you find your special talent. You have to be good at the talent, it is more of a destiny that you are born with or not. Destinies do not change for cutie marks, if you think your destiny is to have a Rainbow cutie mark then you will not give up until you have that cutie mark.

This is a interesting question actually because in Season 2 of MLP when Grannysmith was telling about the story of how Ponyville was founded, Filthyrich had a cutie mark of a cent symbol. When he grew up, it changed to dollars.

So it can be true.

I was about to say that I couldn't think of any times, but I totally forgot about this actually.

So then I guess its possible for a cutie mark to evolve. Which means I guess its atleast partly cannon.

I'm not sure if the talent can totally change or not, but I guess it can atleast evolve.

edit: never mind I've been corrected sorry.

Edited by Zygen