Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can cutie marks change/evolve?

My little pwny

I was about to say that I couldn't think of any times, but I totally forgot about this actually.

So then I guess its possible for a cutie mark to evolve. Which means I guess its atleast partly cannon.

I'm not sure if the talent can totally change or not, but I guess it can atleast evolve.

A couple of other people already mentioned this, but granny smith's flashback featured Stinkin Rich, filthy Rich's father. Stinkin Rich had the cent cutie mark and filthy had the dollar one.

A couple of other people already mentioned this, but granny smith's flashback featured Stinkin Rich, filthy Rich's father. Stinkin Rich had the cent cutie mark and filthy had the dollar one.

Oh, ok never mind then :P. I knew there was a reason that after all the times I've watched the episode I never noticed that prominently. My memories a bit rusty I guess :P.

Thank you for pointing this out.

• 6 months later...

I know this might be a common question and I have read around the forums until my eyes are crossed, but I am new to please forgive my ignorance when I say, "Is there a designated butt cheek/flank for a cutie mark?

-Star

• 6 months later...

Don't forget that when the age spell is used on snails, that his cutie mark changes? Maybe as ponies talents change, their cutie marks do too. Lets say that maybe maud's cutie mark changes from a rock to a geode, if she maybe starts to get interested in geodes. I don't think a ponies cutie mark could change from say, a cake, to a snowflake, but maybe changes as the ponie discovers more about their talents

Cutie Marks..........evolving, I wouldn't think so.  Its not like, if you get older, your cutie mark becomes much more detailed or something.  It will most likely be the same, basically.

Hmm, first thing I thought when I saw the title of this post: Congratulations! Your sweetie belle evolved into a sweetie bot!

:lol: love that comment. 

• Brohoof 1

I personally don't think so. As I elaborated in another thread on cutie marks, I think that cutie marks are a clear indicator of the one passion that will never leave you through all your life. Hobbies come and go, but whatever the cutie mark depicts will be eternal. It's in your blood, and encompasses all aspects of what you'll come to do in life, etc.

This is a interesting question actually because in Season 2 of MLP when Grannysmith was telling about the story of how Ponyville was founded, Filthyrich had a cutie mark of a cent symbol. When he grew up, it changed to dollars. So it can be true.

Like everyone else, I never noticed that either. ^^

• 4 months later...

My head fanon is that if someone from outside Equestria were to appear in Equestria with no memory, then perhaps the whole cutie mark would appear piece by piece as that someone gains their memories back.

But that's just me. ;)  What do you think?

• 2 months later...

What if a pegasus's special talent is flying, and she injures her wings beyond repair? What if after this happens, it changes her perspective on life, and she also discovers a new talent from this change? It would mean negation of the meaning of the Cutie Mark's physical meaning, an alteration of who they are diverging from the personal meaning of the Cutie Mark, and a new talent and destiny. Would the Cutie Mark stay the same as they have already reached their goal triggering it to appear, and the mark is immutable, or is the mark actually deeply connected to who they are, not who they were?

I remember the old joke "How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?" "1.  But, the light bulb has to want to change"  The Wonderbolts all have the same symbol, Fluttershy's symbol does change when she becomes Flutterbat.  In Season 5, the animatic released it does look like a whole town has the same symbol (A cult? a place holder for future cutie marks? Hasbro ain't talking)

In short, I think a cutie mark can change but it takes extreme circumstances to do it.  (Anyone who doesn't think boot camp is at least as extreme as being changed into a bat has never been through boot camp)

• 10 months later...

Holy necro this one is old XD

On that note, I'd actually like it if the concept of cutie marks evolving came up, but the issue is that Cutie marks are so vague already (Cheerilees for example just means being a teacher, despite being flowers), and due to the whole "destiny" crap that's tied into cutie marks they don't ever seem to change based on what you're doing in life, but just are always "there" for what you eventually WILL do.
Which is kind of weird honestly, given how Cadence's mark couldn't have been gained for being a kingdom's ruler, but then she ended up becoming the crystal empire's ruler, ect.

And, from a meta standpoint, that will NEVER happen. cutie marks are trademarks more or less. Each symbol stands for a character even more solidly than "that" character, so hasbro can put their cutie marks on things for toys and whatnot and use them as stickers or stamps.

To change their cutie mark goes against the instant recognizability and trademark power of cutie marks, so hasbro would throw a fit if they decided to start changing cutie marks.

• 2 years later...

To the ones talking about Wonderbolts, all the ponies in Wonderbolts wear suits with Wonderbolt "cutie marks" (based on their gender), but under the suits they still have their own real cutie marks, just not visible

As it hasn't been shown before, it is highly unlikely that they do. Besides, they can be talented at other things without one. I don't know about special situations, but changing cutie marks had generally not worked out well in the show.

5 hours ago, MAIKUN said:

For example, when the CMC got their Cutie Marks, they WERE manipulated or brainwashed by their Cutie Marks, because it’s telling them what to do. That’s it.

I don't see it that way. The CMCs realized their calling was to help other ponies find their special talents, and only after that, they got their cutie marks (which also symbolize their friendship). Similarly, the Mane 6 also got their cutie marks after realizing what they were good at, as "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" shows.

"Marks and Recreation" emphasizes that cutie marks don't prevent ponies from doing other things they enjoy (which Rumble thought would happen), so I don't see how they would manipulate anypony.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

I don't see it that way. The CMCs realized their calling was to help other ponies find their special talents, and only after that, they got their cutie marks (which also symbolize their friendship). Similarly, the Mane 6 also got their cutie marks after realizing what they were good at, as "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" shows.

"Marks and Recreation" emphasizes that cutie marks don't prevent ponies from doing other things they enjoy (which Rumble thought would happen), so I don't see how they would manipulate anypony.

Well it's true actually and they are prevented from doing other things that enjoy the most.

Edited by MAIKUN
Editing