Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Rainbow Dash' parents?

Azureth

They were a mixed bag. I found them cute, but at the same time they were sorta written into the ground before Rainbow blows up on them. Then we're supposed to blame Rainbow for that, but they were going mental over the smallest things possible. I would have done the exact same thing in her scenario. I get it that it is supposed to add to the story of her not communicating and I did like the ending, overall it was one of my favorites of that season. If they didn't push them being annoying so incredibly hard the episode would have been perfect. In short, I liked her parents when they first showed up and at the end of the episode. In between it gets muddy.

• Brohoof 4

The fact that they never knew that she was a Wonderbolt, suggests that they didn't go out that much in Cloudsdale. Otherwise, they would have heard it from other ponies.

Plus you have to remember that Rainbow Dash lives in a cloud above Ponyville, so they would have to travel quite far to see her. 

I'm not suprised if Rainbow Dash pushed them away in the past and they stay away because they want what is best for their daughter. 

• Brohoof 3

They're adorable, they just want to be a part of RD's life. RD never telling them she became a WB(*insert potshot at Newbie Dash here*) was really messed up. She never took the time to talk to them about their behavior and to tone it down, for all they know, they didn't do anything wrong. Instead RD chose to bottle it up until she exploded and went off on them

RD was the bad guy here, and coming from me, that says a lot

• Brohoof 3

I think they're incredibly annoying, and I don't blame Rainbow for ignoring her parents as she got older. I probably would have done the same thing. I don't think she should have yelled at them, but that's a different story for a different topic.

• Brohoof 4

10 hours ago, Megas said:

They're adorable, they just want to be a part of RD's life. RD never telling them she became a WB(*insert potshot at Newbie Dash here*) was really messed up. She never took the time to talk to them about their behavior and to tone it down, for all they know, they didn't do anything wrong. Instead RD chose to bottle it up until she exploded and went off on them

I love them for a variety of reasons. They're dorky and nerdy (which subverts are expectations of how we imagined Rainbow's family), but it feels genuine because a lot of parents are like that with their children. Their enthusiasm is infectious and they give off this warm, nurturing glow. 

• Brohoof 3

They're cute. I think we need to remember that Rainbow deliberately avoided telling them about her accomplishments, so we can probably assume the reason they didn't see her much is because that's what Rainbow wanted. 

The thing about that episode, to me, is that on one hand, it's easy to understand why Rainbow would feel embarrassed by her parents, but it's also clear that they're harmless and not actually bothering anyone. That's what makes it such a great episode. I need to watch it again but my complaint was that the ending is too one-sided; of course Rainbow Dash was wrong to lash out at her parents like that... but that doesn't mean her feelings were invalid, which I'm not sure the episode makes clear enough. 

• Brohoof 3

They work for the episode, but I certainly don't see any potential for their next appearances unlike Moondancer, Trixie, Cadence, Shining Armor, and even Chrysalis.

I feel kinda odd that Rainbow Dash and her parents are not alike in many aspects besides being light blue. Strange because in  Rarity's case it works.

• Brohoof 1

I’m not a fan of the two. I already couldn’t stand Scootaloo’s obsession with Rainbow Dash so to have two more of them? No thanks. Don’t get me wrong, they’re great for supporting their daughter and all but I can’t get passed their obsession.

• Brohoof 2

On 3/21/2020 at 5:43 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

They work for the episode, but I certainly don't see any potential for their next appearances unlike Moondancer, Trixie, Cadence, Shining Armor, and even Chrysalis.

I feel kinda odd that Rainbow Dash and her parents are not alike in many aspects besides being light blue. Strange because in  Rarity's case it works.

No more appearances for any of them :worry: unless they appear on g5

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I like them, Windy especially. ^_^

image.png.660a99c57f6ededc9461ea0354af4a02.png

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

Windy and Bow kick a whole lotta ass. Their personalities are extremely infectious, adorable, and hilarious. Even though their appreciation for Dash was over the top and obnoxious, Hamilton balances it by being unconditionally supportive no matter what obstacles she faces. Dash didn’t tell them she was a Wonderbolt because she felt secondhand embarrassment from their loud cheering, but kept that frustration bottled up. Her tirade was Putting Your Hoof Down done right.

14 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I like them, Windy especially. ^_^

34 minutes ago, Megas said:

image.png.660a99c57f6ededc9461ea0354af4a02.png

f32

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...
On 2020-03-19 at 7:43 PM, Megas said:

too many people who refer to this episode say Dash was completely in the wrong and the parents behavior was completely in the right... But to me it was Dash only slightly in the wrong and Dash's parent's majorly at fault from going overboard like way too much

1 hour ago, Scootaloo9074090 said:

too many people who refer to this episode say Dash was completely in the wrong and the parents behavior was completely in the right... But to me it was Dash only slightly in the wrong and Dash's parent's majorly at fault from going overboard like way too much

Then RD should have said something instead of bottling it up the entire episode 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Megas said:

Like how Rainbow Dash should have told her Wonderbolt co-worker that she doesn't like to be called Rainbow Crash. they could have told her right up front that they didn't mean to say it as an insult could have saved a lot of time. 

But you know, as Jerky of the Wonderbolts can get, the fact that they actually gave the parents credit for raising Rainbow Dash well was very heartwarming

• Brohoof 1

I think they are both sweet and good-hearted ponies. It's endearing how much they love their kid and it was nice to see them bond with Scootaloo over their shared idolization of RD. Sure, they were a little too obsessed with Rainbow Dash, but cartoon characters are almost always exaggerated and I don't think they were that bad in the context of the show. There's nothing inherently wrong with the way they were overly supportive of their daughter--a lot of people would say that's preferable to most other types of parents. Besides, they stopped their over-the-top antics after Rainbow was upfront about her feelings.

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-11-16 at 7:22 PM, Megas said:

"The Parent Map" had that message with Starlight and Sunburst and their respective parents, suggesting that the writers learned their lesson from "Parental Glideance".

Huh, I always thought everyone liked Dash's parents. Anyways, I think they're cool. They're clearly supportive of their kid, which I don't really see any issues with.

• Brohoof 1

What’s there to really hate about them?  They were very supportive of their daughter as parents SHOULD be. Their flaw was that they supported her in an obnoxious loud way and had to learn to tone it down a bit, lol.   

• Brohoof 3

As everyone else in this show they are not perfect. They are loud and annoying when it comes tp their daughter but they love her from the bottom of their heart. I don't think it's the best example of parenting and I can fully understanding RD to minimize the contact to them. But the most important part of parenting they got down: love and support your child

I have seen so many other parents who do everything but this. So I don't any negativity towards RD parents. But they really needed some help to improve their relation to their daughter.

So I like them and I know people who would have given a lot to have parents who supported them. 

• Brohoof 2