Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you agree that Cadence, as a Character, is highly underrated?

Moondrop

Less underrated and more chronically undeveloped. Throughout the entire show, she got about as much characterization as Celestia did in Season 1.

• Brohoof 4

I didn't care much for Cadence at first, but she has grown on me over the years. She has a pretty good voice, character design, and personality.

• Brohoof 2

moved thread to show discussion.

also i think cadence is cute, it just seems like the show didn't really care about showing her off much. 

• Brohoof 3

It seemed like she was meant to be the more stereotypical Princess. It's not automatically bad. There's enough diversity there, but you've got to expect at least one. Even the wedding was a bit of a reverse-fairytale though, since it was the guy marrying into royalty. However: Princess of Love, married, children, crystal-picket fence. It's sad that she never really got her own episode. I really don't even count Canterlot Wedding, since that was mostly about Twilight and Chrysalis.

There was a lot more room to expand on her but it just never happened. :( And then once Flurryheart became the focus, that was it.

I would've hoped for at least one good moment for her by the finale, and the setup there was perfect. Sombra threatening her baby. We were robbed of a chance to see an angry Mamabear Alicorn go medieval on his arse.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, BornAgainBrony said:

It seemed like she was meant to be the more stereotypical Princess. It's not automatically bad. There's enough diversity there, but you've got to expect at least one. Even the wedding was a bit of a reverse-fairytale though, since it was the guy marrying into royalty. However: Princess of Love, married, children, crystal-picket fence. It's sad that she never really got her own episode. I really don't even count Canterlot Wedding, since that was mostly about Twilight and Chrysalis.

There was a lot more room to expand on her but it just never happened. :( And then once Flurryheart became the focus, that was it.

I would've hoped for at least one good moment for her by the finale, and the setup there was perfect. Sombra threatening her baby. We were robbed of a chance to see an angry Mamabear Alicorn go medieval on his arse.

It was pretty shitty how the comics dedicated an entire issue of her trying to prove she's not a stereotypical pink princess, and the comic ends with her being...exactly that stereotypical pink princess

• Brohoof 1

Well you know what I always say. A wasted opportunity in the main show is fuel for fans whether in art or writing to expand on underused character, such as Candence.

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't say that, to be honest. I mean, Cadence wasn't really my favorite character to begin with. I do feel bad for her in Canterlot Wedding and S3 Crystal Empire premiere, but after that, her character became less and less interesting as the show progressed. She's very boring and underdeveloped that I just didn't care about her, even if she got Flurry Heart. Don't even get me started on her dialogue in Three's a Crowd.

Besides being Twilight's childhood babysitter, what else is there to her other than being a token princess? Okay, being Twilight's sister in law, a mom, and saving the Crystal Empire along with Spike is one thing, but I really want to know more about her like having backstories featuring her crush on Shining Armor, being a babysitter, having her own struggles, and stuff like that. I would've love to see more of that. Oh well.

Oh, here's a fun fact about Cadence in one of Lauren Faust's interviews: Cadence is one of the last concepts that Lauren was involved before she left the show. Ever since Hasbro told her and the MLP staff that they're gonna do a wedding episode at the time, Lauren originally created Cadence as a unicorn with her original name called 'Mi Amori'. After the concept of Cadence was done, Lauren Faust left the FiM after Season 2. Hasbro took over the concept of Mi Amori the Unicorn and then retool her as a princess called Princess Mi Amori Cadenza AKA: Princess Cadence as we know today.  

I know this kind of off topic, but I'm just wanna throwing it out there.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

Well you know what I always say. A wasted opportunity in the main show is fuel for fans whether in art or writing to expand on underused character, such as Candence.

Yeah, good point.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I always wished the show did more with her. I like her design a lot, and I generally felt that something about her mannerisms made her more relatable than Celestia and Luna. Even the little backstory we got from her told us that she was Twilight's foalsitter, and there was a heavy implication that she isn't nearly as old as the sisters. And she kept getting these moments where she stepped out of the pretty pink princess stereotype, like when she got all protective of Flurry Heart in the season 9 premiere. 

From what little I've seen, some of the comics develop her a little more, and I've heard that one of the chapter books gives her an interesting backstory. I've always liked her, so in that sense I do think she's underrated, but it's not surprising given that she was always sidelined in the show. 

Edited by Thrond
  • Brohoof 2

No, not really. If anything she’s had more screen time than she really merits. Don’t get me wrong I really like her a lot, but the writers never did enough to justify my desperate need to know more about her. She’s fine as a mid-level character unless something were to justify an upgrade. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Dreambiscuit said:

No, not really. If anything she’s had more screen time than she really merits. Don’t get me wrong I really like her a lot, but the writers never did enough to justify my desperate need to know more about her. She’s fine as a mid-level character unless something were to justify an upgrade. 

I agree. While she doesn't have a lot of fans in comparison to Luna or Celestia, she didn't have nearly the amount of time of screen.

She seemed like a one-off character for the Canterlot Wedding -- who they now had to deal with for the rest of the show, imo.

• Brohoof 1

I like her design, I wish more was done with her but a lot of the moments she didn't seem to have a personality at all and seemed to just be filler material if I am honest. As an alicorn, she was severely underdeveloped and her backstory was never stated in the show. I wish they did more with her. 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes and I completely understand why she would be considered underrated and I also think that she deserves to be thought of that way. She had her moments in the season 2 finale and that was it. She didn’t do anything grand let alone interesting after that and was pushed off to the side. She is a just boring character.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think you could definitely say that Cadence was underrated. Cadence fulfilled her role as a SUPPORTING character perfectly. Cadence didn't get loads of unnecessary development because she didn't need it. She was there to be another mentor figure just like the other Princesses. She didn't get terrible episodes like 'A Royal Problem' and 'Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep' where the writers try and fail to develop her instead she got cute episodes where she bonded with Twilight or Shining. 

This is why I can't help but laugh when people call Cadence boring when she really isn't any worse than Celestia and Luna.

I also don't get the criticism that Cadence didn't do anything signifcant or relevant either because it's not true. I'll list some things:

When you actuallly recall these moments, it shows that Cadence isn't fundamentally less useful than Celestia and Luna despite appearing less often. The real reason why people have an issue with Cadence specifically is because she's another Alicorn Princess who was introduced to sell toys and whose existence contradicted what we thought we knew about Alicorns. Despite that, Cadence's introduction didn't cause a decline in quality in the show. In fact, I'd argue that 'A Canterlot Wedding' is one of the shows best 2 parters (if not the best).

Ultimately, the reaction to Cadence shows that the people cared way too much about lore and that led them to finding fault in things where there wasn't much fault. We should actually be happy that the writers spent more time on the characters we cared about instead of trying to force Cadence into a role she wasn't designed to occupy just because she's an Alicorn

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Cadence is the best princess. She is the only princess that is a literal hero in modern Equestria and she does it all on the merit of love and loyalty. She is constantly right about things and has her judgement overlooked. She has the best design and she's an amazing singer. 

• Brohoof 1