Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro has bios for the Mane Five.

CastletonSnob

My thoughts on the G5 Character Bios? I would say it's pretty interesting...........until Pipp came along (which I'll get to in a bit).

Sunny Starscout's personality is pretty cool. Her hobby being a roller skater does fit for her pretty well.

Hitch Trailblazer's personality was pretty interesting. Despite being a sheriff in Maretime Bay, his hobby is listening to music. I gotta ask: What kind of music did he like to listen to? Western music? Rock music? Pop music? That's a question that needs to be addressed in the movie.

Izzy Moonbow's personality I can expect since she's a modern day hyperactive version of Pinkie Pie, but with her hobby was into arts and crafts with recyclable items is very impressive and clever. Props to her.

Zipp Storm's personality did get me surprised a little. A rebellious athlete who's into science. That's a pretty interesting combination. A mix between Rainbow Dash and Twilight, with a little dash of Rarity since she is being true to herself and encourage others to do the same. That's pretty cool. I really hope it executed very well.

Finally,.....we got to Pipp. (long sigh) When I saw the first look of her holding her phone, I immediately cringed. I knew this character was gonna be an obnoxious social media obsesser who goes on her Twitter, her Instagram, talking this person needs to be canceled, doing the floss, dabbing, and all that crap. I understand that technology in Equestria is nothing new and I get that this movie was made for the modern kids, but just because it's made for kids, doesn't mean you have to pandered to them. As much as I hate Equestria Girls, at least you don't see Sunset or Pinkie going on then social media all the time making all these hashtag jokes just to pandered to the zoomer youth. As for Pipp being pop star was kinda lame. I know we got pop star ponies before like Countless Colorlortora, but at least they are good characters and singing great original songs. With Pipp? It feels like she's gonna be singing generic pop songs, which I hope it's not cringey.

Overall, as much as the G5 characters are pretty interesting, I just hope and pray to God the movie flesh them out and make them likable (especially Pipp).

34 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Imagine declaring a family show about friendship as "woke". I guess children as well as adults aren't allowed to learn the basic concept of accepting one another despite our differences.

Well, that's modern society for ya.:dry:

• Brohoof 2

[Raises the assault axe pistol] Am I the only one here who's noticed how generic these wenches are? Guess I've seen some shit. Don't worry. You will too.

(edited)

Well, I think that they make sense for the most part. They might need to be a bit more specific about their hobbies, but that is probably the point. Zipp's hobbies are pretty interesting... I don't know why but I feel like I relate to the earth ponies the most. The only thing that really bugs me is that Pipp Petals has social media as a hobby. How is that a hobby!?

Edited by Minty Seabreeze
  • Brohoof 3

I always like Zipp but definitely even more now!!

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, TBD said:

I always like Zipp but definitely even more now!!

Definitely took away my impression she was going to be the “StRoNg WaHmEn” like Cap Marvel, so that’s a good sign :mlp_icwudt:. Silly Izzy remains my favorite tho :wub:

• Brohoof 2

There were times when social media didn't divide us as much as it does today, and I sure hope Pipp lives in a fantasy world where social media is what it was in the good old days.

One thing I'd really like is if there's a message of unity in G-5:  of unity in spite of differences in values, instead of differences in values dividing us.  I mean, different people have different ideas of what's good, bad, morally neutral, and tolerable---and social media has divided us along those lines, teaching us to mistrust each other if we don't share the same values.  But social media didn't always do that.

Maybe this G-5 is going to acknowledge that, and teach us that it's okay to have different values, and that those values don't have to make us enemies.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
3 hours ago, Minty Seabreeze said:

Well, I think that they make sense for the most part. They might need to be a bit more specific about their hobbies, but that is probably the point. Zipp's hobbies are pretty interesting... I don't know why but I feel like I relate to the earth ponies the most. The only thing that really bugs me is that Pipp Petals has social media as a hobby. How is that a hobby!?

Unfortunately my biggest fears by "hobby" for Pipp means she's one of those people who's glued to their phones, freaking out over her follower count, who posted what, how many likes her videos/posts got and so on. I literally work with a woman who's life is her phone. Always posting tiktok videos, snapchat, checking facebook, instagram and so on. She can't be off of her phone for at least 5 minutes. It's like talking to a wall because she's always messing around on her phone.

I'm hoping that's not the route they're taking with Pipp but with listing social media as a hobby I can't help but envision people like my coworker. That concerns me, since I love everything else about Pipp.

Edited by Blitzo
  • Brohoof 5

On the subject of Pipp liking social media and the fact that such a thing now exists in Equestria... I have a feeling either Twilight or Sunset brought it from the human world and was adopted by the rest of Equestria over time. Between the two, Sunset sounds more likely to have done so given she lived there.

• Brohoof 5

20 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

One thing I'd really like is if there's a message of unity in G-5:  of unity in spite of differences in values, instead of differences in values dividing us.  I mean, different people have different ideas of what's good, bad, morally neutral, and tolerable---and social media has divided us along those lines, teaching us to mistrust each other if we don't share the same values.  But social media didn't always do that.

You know I'm one of the people who believe that the social media can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

Just because there's technology in a magical world doesn't automatically make it bad; it's how you use it. After all fire is one of the most earliest things we've ever discovered as it can be a good thing giving us warmth and cooking our food but it can also be a bad thing because it can actually burn homes and incinerate people.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I could type a paragraph as to why I'm not into social media. (here goes!)

I never got into it when it first started out, especially Facebook, because you need to use your real name, and most likely involve people you know for real. I don't want to use my real name for online things like that, and I have pretty much no friends, so I didn't see the need or have any interest in it at all. Then things got worse, and Facebook really became the privacy destroyer. Now they know so much about you, your interests, the things you like... I refuse to go on board with that. In fact, I actually sometimes experience a bit of smugness when people say they would really love to quit Facebook but they can't. Ha, I never got into that in the first place. Let alone all the more nefarious misinformation based and manipulative things now starting to go on...

So I know social media does some good things, but overall, I only see the negative of it, or at best, just not interested, in spite of its ultra prevelence.

But I won't hold it against Pipp.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Toastypk said:

So I know social media does some good things, but overall, I only see the negative of it, or at best, just not interested, in spite of its ultra prevelence.

Fair enough

On 2021-07-01 at 9:08 PM, Gaines said:

Interesting... I scrolled all the way to the bottom and snatched the png image tho xD

Hide contents

new-gen-ponies.png

Omg same great minds think alike XD

Pipp's character bio is strange tho kinda off putting I guess tho there are ppl like that haha irl who like social media so much and singing but eh. 

I dunno they could have made her hobbies like interior decoration or even food or somethin not social media lol. Like from just her design I could think of many better hobbies surely social media is a non interest like saying ur hobby is watching TV or chatting XD Or I guess she use social media for her fans? Maybe she has big parties and stuff I just hope there is something more to her lol sounds like she has her head in the clouds literally xP I know in anime and stuff there are characters who use social media a lot for popularity but would u really say thats their hobby? Isn't social media just a tool.

I started this comment yesterday morning but the forums fizzed out while writing on me and I haven't been able to get access again till today. :c

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Omg same great minds think alike XD

Pipp's character bio is strange tho kinda off putting I guess tho there are ppl like that haha irl who like social media so much and singing but eh. 

I dunno they could have made her hobbies like interior decoration or even food or somethin not social media lol. Like from just her design I could think of many better hobbies surely social media is a non interest like saying ur hobby is watching TV or chatting XD Or I guess she use social media for her fans? Maybe she has big parties and stuff I just hope there is something more to her lol sounds like she has her head in the clouds literally xP I know in anime and stuff there are characters who use social media a lot for popularity but would u really say thats their hobby? Isn't social media just a tool.

I started this comment yesterday morning but the forums fizzed out while writing on me and I haven't been able to get access again till today. :c

I was actually thinking, Pipp's bio matches a lot more to Zipp's voice actress's style! (I found out how many views Liza Koshy has on youtube, and it's more then 17 Million!) Maybe it would be TOO on the nose if they put her as Pipp.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Stardust said:

Isn't social media just a tool.

That's what I said. Like fire it can be a good thing or a bad thing

On 2021-07-01 at 6:17 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Definitely took away my impression she was going to be the “StRoNg WaHmEn” like Cap Marvel, so that’s a good sign :mlp_icwudt:. Silly Izzy remains my favorite tho :wub:

Yeah agree! I was glad they also made Zipp a egg head too!

I can’t blame ya, Izzy is so adorable too she’s probably will be my second favorite!

On 2021-07-03 at 4:18 AM, Toastypk said:

I could type a paragraph as to why I'm not into social media. (here goes!)

I never got into it when it first started out, especially Facebook, because you need to use your real name, and most likely involve people you know for real. I don't want to use my real name for online things like that, and I have pretty much no friends, so I didn't see the need or have any interest in it at all. Then things got worse, and Facebook really became the privacy destroyer. Now they know so much about you, your interests, the things you like... I refuse to go on board with that. In fact, I actually sometimes experience a bit of smugness when people say they would really love to quit Facebook but they can't. Ha, I never got into that in the first place. Let alone all the more nefarious misinformation based and manipulative things now starting to go on...

You do know that this site is technically a social media site right? 

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-07-01 at 5:21 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

Zipp* Storm is a combination of Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle. B):ticking:  *I keep wanting to call her "Zephyr". :please:

I hope she's not... even though I love Rainbow and Twilight the most of mane6 I hope Zipp will be intelligent, loyal and true to herself in her own way. Every character deserves it. To not to be a shadow of smth or someone. To be honest because of acting, short descriptions Zipp reminds me a lot Tempest Shadow (but after teaser we can suspect that even if her personality goes in that direction, she is more open and less proud - hard to say smth more about this, Tempest had very little time to "introduce herself on the bright side" and because her storyline I think even after she stopped being antagonistic, she was still alone despite the good relationship she had left in the movie but nvm)

The worst thing they can make with her is a book nerd. My gosh I hope they are not going to do this, she's my fav and it would be nice if she will be resourceful instead of looking for book solutions like Twilight but nah I don't think so if they are going to make her bookish:ButtercupLaugh:-especially after first look,
where she spread her wings and cast her deadly glance in us, it seems she will be pugnacious and ready for boycotts. She looks like amazing in animation (although I didn't like her in graphics very much - like all ponies, hasbro graphics are strange, much MUCH more candy) and Liza's voice is so perfect (I recommend checking out her channel on youtube, she is gorgeous) James is cool too, but anyway all cast is great choice in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

This is a bit off-topic, but...shoot, I was assuming that Hasbro would start trying out fur colors for the main characters that were very different from what they had in previous generations---things like dark high-saturation colors, like red and green and brown.  I'm surprised that none of the main characters use any of those colors; actually their overall colors are quite a bit like the G-4 main characters' colors:  orange, white, pastel purple, and pink are what we're actually getting.

Don't get me wrong; on an individual level, they're distinguishable---in personalities and appearances.  But when the inevitable crossover with G-4 happens, well, if all six of the mane six make the crossover, it might be a little hard to tell who's who in the also-inevitable big song number when they zoom out so all eleven characters are in the shot!

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 2