Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How evil was the villain really?

Toastypk

I found myself asking this question.

Obvious spoilers btw, but that's obvious.

So Sprout.

I was tipped off that he was going to be in an antagonistic role, but it turned out to be interesting. I wanted to see some powerful dark entity, but not so here.

What we got was a petulant drunk-on-power wannabe emperor. On the villain scale, I actually found him to be on the low side. Almost like Trixie in Magic Duel, enslaving the town. He's not a world destroying threat, but he was very driven and power-mad, and posed a real danger both with his xenophobic attitude and giant machine.

Thing is, would he really be evil? His actions sure were bad, but it came from a place of a (over the top and misplaced) sense of duty, mixed with a power-mad mindset. But I see him moreso as a product of the fear and paranoia prevalent throughout pony society. The worst possible product of such a climate. Even Phyllis, who pushed all that crap, realized she created something very wrong. Plus, even when a threat, he is treated comically.

The other question is, is he redeemed? The movie doesn't get into it, and he doesn't seem to show remorse for his ways, no sort of reconciling, he just sort of slinks off.  He's different from, say, Stygian, who was made to be sympathized with while seeing his view and what happened to him. Sprout was just an angry character who didn't really evoke any sympathy, though some people might feel some. This question might get addressed in the series, however. It's worth noting, that he is featured in a pack of six figures, him and the mane five, as if he were one of the group. Maybe they have something in mind?

Yeah I don't really consider him much of a villain though he acted as one in the story. Maybe he will come back more evil though or maybe he will try to learn the ways. I feel like he is kinda still gonna be at least an antagonist.

I got some strong Diamond Tiara vibes, complete with a Spoiled Rich egging him on until it got out of control. I'm still trying to decide who is more competent now. I think Sprout is competing with the Storm King for the very bottom of the "ranked MLP villain" list.

And yeah, kind of the opposite of what I want to see in a good villain. It didn't seem like he had any deep motivation at all. I didn't get much passion from him for his political(?) message. It was like he just saw it as a launchpad to become a superstar ruler of sorts. There's also some hints of Cozyglow here, but she did it way better.

I think he was pretty evil. Jealous of power that Hitch presumably had and seizing it at the first opportunity. After tat, he pretty much became a dictator and even tried to start a war with the unicorns. 

This is a movie for kids, so some things cannot be shown, but I think he was kind-of a parody of some of real-life dictators from the past. 

• Brohoof 1

A despot is but the head of a snake. Anyhow, he is far more redeemable than G4 ponies that were given this chance. It was all a big misunderstanding, and the damage he caused was quite minimal. Also, I don't think he was busy plotting schemes against his fellow earth ponies before the movie despite being in Hitch's shadow. That's a far cry from "I has tragic past, I hurt everypony now, gimmie attention" shtick.

• Brohoof 2

Barely even a villain. Because he barely got to show his villainy. I’m hoping the series brings better villains because Sprout was a garbage start. IMO he was the weakest part of the movie. Granted his villain song was a banger though. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Sprout really was a villain. He was definitely the antagonist for sure, but considering the mistrust for other pony species his entire life, it makes sense. However, he is jealous of Hitch and I hope the writers would explore the relationship between the two in the upcoming series. I think that the writers of this movie were trying to make sure that the villain had a motive and he wasn't just evil for the sake of being evil (cough G4 movie Storm King cough cough). The problem is we still don't know what caused this mistrust in the first place.

Edited by Zoom Jetstream

19 minutes ago, Zoom Jetstream said:

I don't think Sprout really was a villain. He was definitely the antagonist for sure, but considering the mistrust for other pony species his entire life, it makes sense. However, he is jealous of Hitch and I hope the writers would explore the relationship between the two in the upcoming series. I think that the writers of this movie were trying to make sure that the villain had a motive and he wasn't just evil for the sake of being evil (cough G4 movie Storm King cough cough). The problem is we still don't know what caused this mistrust in the first place.

Yeah I definitely agree that sprout is more a product of how much ponies who've been living for many generations in fear of other races would react if they didn't get the chance to know each other

2 hours ago, Zoom Jetstream said:

True. But he was still handled poorly. It might’ve been his family that taught him to be so distrustful. Actually not might’ve it probably was. Most villains like that were taught by family or friends or even strangers to hold such values. It’s still a weak ass motive regardless.  

In my opinion, the REAL villain was distrust and hate, Sprout was just a product and manifestation of it; just showing how bad it had become. I honestly like there not being an explicit in your face villain but rather just letting the prejudice in society speak for itself through the various scenes and dialogues. He felt played almost for laughs more than anything, a reason for the lighthouse to get toppled and the races to be forced together for the final scenes, with a healthy shade of showing Phyllis the consequences of brooding fear and distrust for so long.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Equus said:

In my opinion, the REAL villain was distrust and hate, Sprout was just a product and manifestation of it; just showing how bad it had become. I honestly like there not being an explicit in your face villain but rather just letting the prejudice in society speak for itself through the various scenes and dialogues. He felt played almost for laughs more than anything, a reason for the lighthouse to get toppled and the races to be forced together for the final scenes, with a healthy shade of showing Phyllis the consequences of brooding fear and distrust for so long.

aaah yes I like you already! very nicely put! but alas in Equestria everything has an embodiment.... so distrust and hate.... who has planted them that it could easily destroy the harmony that strong! this will be great in the series!!!! better not mess this up Netflix!!!

Sprout wasn't really a villain, he was an antagonist. There's a difference as a villain commits evil acts while an antagonist simply opposes the protagonist or a character. A villain can be an antagonist. In this case, Sprout was a potential villain as he was about to assault Bridlewood and destroy the unicorns, but he did not go through with that action, so I consider him an antagonist.

57 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

Sprout wasn't really a villain, he was an antagonist. There's a difference as a villain commits evil acts while an antagonist simply opposes the protagonist or a character. A villain can be an antagonist. In this case, Sprout was a potential villain as he was about to assault Bridlewood and destroy the unicorns, but he did not go through with that action, so I consider him an antagonist.

plus they're child hood friends.... someone was bound to be rivals... XD

• Brohoof 1

Sprout wasn't inherently an evil character. He was more so a physical representation of how volatile the hate between the ponies had gotten. A product of that society, if you will.

Edited by Cash_In

I don't think he is evil or was even intended to be a full blown out villain like some G4 villains, he is about on trixie level of threat. He is not evil, although he still has a nasty personality as we saw throughout the movie, duo to the circumstances and goading from his mother he became a threat. He does have potential to be a deep character, he seems to try to please his mother too much and he definitely has some insecurities. It will be interesting to see what will become of him in the series, he can become a minor antagonist or reform him, I sure hope that at least he is fired from being deputy, he needs to face the consequences at least to some degree.

He did his part of the movie well enough, he wasn't the most interesting antagonist but he has his charms, he provided a good song and some funny moments, he is not one of the worst antagonists in the franchise. 

There really wasn't one in the traditional sense. Instead, it was just an idiotic yet confused stallion who allowed his jealousy and misguided prejudices blind him resulting in what ended up being the climax of the movie. Granted, Sprout's mother did coerce him into going down such a path because she felt he deserved more than what he was getting so she can also be blamed.