Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How important is romance to you?

Shiki

Welp, I asked it. How important is having that very special somepony to you?

To me, romance and relationships is literally at the bottom of the list. Legitimately, dating just seems like it'd be pretty... no. I just don't even want to date. I really don't. Although, I have Asperger's, so maybe that has something to do with my repulsive attitude towards boyfriends/girlfriends. Also, relationships are meant to find that person whom you'll spend the rest of your life with. And that person usually wants to take it to the back room at some point in their life. I don't, sooo that's kind of a red flag for me to start.

• Brohoof 1

I have never really understood why young teens "date". It really makes no sense to me... because they really dont know what love is yet. But back to the topic, Yeah Romance isn't really a big importance for me right now, I am only 16 why should I be dating? there are so many other things I could be doing.

However If I was to describe my perfect romance... cuddling... lots and lots of cuddling nuff said. :wub:

• Brohoof 3

Dating someone, for me, is something I want to do right, and do only once -- I long for a girlfriend, yet over the past months I've been asked out by three girls and have declined all three. One of them even being rather pretty -- thing is, I look well past how someone looks to decide if I'd want a relationship. The girls may have thought I'm attractive (and I definitely thought THEY were attractive), but if that's the only reason they were going after me, not gonna happen -- I'd want to have a romantic relationship with someone that has a caring personality, a very crude sense of humor, and very intelligible. Looks come after that. Until I befriend a girl like that, I'm alone -- by choice. I don't turn them down because I'm stuck up and think I can find "a prettier girl", I turn them down because I know them well enough to know that a relationship with them isn't going anywhere, and will turn into one of those really stupid "teen love" romances that either means texting each other to communicate solely or banging each night on a coffee table to clear out hormone-driven urges.

Perhaps my view is too idealistic or immature for some of you, but I realize that if I'm going to go as far as to date an eventually marry someone, looks fade away in old age -- the qualities I'm after don't.

Hence, romance is always on my mind yet at the bottom of my priorities list at the same time. As soon as I meet someone that matches my interests, that'll definitely change.

• Brohoof 11

Dating someone, for me, is something I want to do right, and do only once -- I long for a girlfriend, yet over the past months I've been asked out by three girls and have declined all three. One of them even being rather pretty -- thing is, I look well past how someone looks to decide if I'd want a relationship. The girls may have thought I'm attractive (and I definitely thought THEY were attractive), but if that's the only reason they were going after me, not gonna happen -- I'd want to have a romantic relationship with someone that has a caring personality, a very crude sense of humor, and very intelligible. Looks come after that. Until I befriend a girl like that, I'm alone -- by choice. I don't turn them down because I'm stuck up and think I can find "a prettier girl", I turn them down because I know them well enough to know that a relationship with them isn't going anywhere, and will turn into one of those really stupid "teen love" romances that either means texting each other to communicate solely or banging each night on a coffee table to clear out hormone-driven urges.

Perhaps my view is too idealistic or immature for some of you, but I realize that if I'm going to go as far as to date an eventually marry someone, looks fade away in old age -- the qualities I'm after don't.

Hence, romance is always on my mind yet at the bottom of my priorities list at the same time. As soon as I meet someone that matches my interests, that'll definitely change.

Quite honestly, I forgot physically appearance was even a semi-important aspect of holding a relationship.

Well for me It would be somewhat the same but things would have to have some form of romance ,which to me that mean just doing shit together, and more or less it needs to be fun for both of us and I don't mean that kind of fun I mean just doing stuff or hanging out. I guess for me a relationship means something more like giting along with oneanother then a needy relationships or one's that are for "other purposes".

Romance depends on who you meet. You can come across some assholes, but then you can meet the ones you love. I love my boyfriend now and I know it. I feel it. Romance is important to that point when you want to have a child, or get married. At least everyone needs romance, unless you wanna be a dark person I guess..Anyways it's mostly important in adulthood. Not teens like most kids think..I am an adult..soo..I guess it is important, I dont really know :mellow:

• Brohoof 1

Ah, romance.

Since I was a child, I have always had several sorts of romantic dreams. I ate up romantic movies, scenes, games, anything. I loved that stuff, and I still do. My mind even romanticized platonic friendships, and at several points in my life, I attempted to get a sort of romance out of them. Romance is extremely important to me no matter how much I don't like admitting it. I live for those classic and cheesy moments. To be given a set of roses by a handsome young man, to kiss under a moonlit dinner, to gaze deeply into each others' eyes, and for us to be soul mates who confide everything in each other... complete and utter trust, a lover and a friend who will never leave me and always be there when I am in need of help. Such dreams are something I cannot help.

At several points, I gave up on my dreams. I thought, I am not going to find a love like that. I'm not ready. All I want of it is a sort of TV romance that doesn't exist in real life because real life is mundane and not a fairy tale. But then, I obtained my boyfriend. And our relationship is as close to my ideals as can be, without the artificialness of a TV romance. Now that I have it, ironically, it's not really so important for me to get it anymore. It is there, and my need is satisfied. But it's still fairly important.

• Brohoof 2

i've always had a bit of thought about romantic and sexual desires. for the longest time i imagined that i had a girlfriend and that we lived happily together with each other. that was during the time i was severely depressed, though, so it was only a means to make me remain sane throughout it all.

anyway, i'm in a relationship (in case my profile and signature wasn't obvious enough), and have been so for a little well over 1 and a half year now. this happened during said period of depression via a forum on the internet. he changed my life in so many different aspects it's not viably possible, and without him, i probably wouldn't be here right now.

so yes, i suppose romance is important to me. just the thought that we, one day, would be able to live together... oh, the amount of art we would be able to create together, and the amount of things we'd be able to do with each other is making my head spinning while just thinking of it. i'd not want to imagine a world where he isn't in it now.

romance is a wonderful thing. it's so pure, yet can be so easily corrupted if it's handled wrong.

(i dunno if i made a good point or not here)

• Brohoof 2

I think romance is a very important part in any relationship and really is a point to help build a stronger relationship... but even with good romance in a relationship doesn't always end with a relationship staying together. It can end horribly that why seeking someone with similar interest and views than just looks... or it might end very badly.

Romance is very important to me. I constantly dream about that special somepony and what it would be like to have her in my life. If we lose sight of love, then we are really fucked. Ive always wanted to have along, romantic relationship with a great girl, if at all.

Ehhhhh... romance is something I'm not too big on. First off because of my hypocritical nature - where I feel I'm gonna say one thing that I don't like and wind up either doing or being subject to actually enjoying it (in this case, I'd like a girl with similar interests, not looks, then wind up going after a girl for her looks) on an unintentional manner. If it's not for that, then it will be because of my low self-esteem and my fear of screwing up unintentionally and either wasting the person's time, annoying them, angering them or flat out boring them.

If its not fear or hypocrisy that's stopping me from dating, its comes down to naivety - I'm WAAAAAAAAY too trusting of others at first. Because of what happened during middle school, and having all my secrets get spilled, I didn't know how to recover from that. If I'm unable to confide myself to a partner, whether I'm going on a few dates or being in a strong relationship, then I don't really deserve to be in one. Wouldn't be fair to my partner.

Instead, I just give out advice to my friend who's been in many relationships. He can live out the desires for the both of us (with some restrictions put in place however).

TL;DR I don't date because I'm too hesitant and I sell myself short, therefore rating romance low on my priorities list.

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to fall in love and have a happy, lifelong relationship with a nice girl, but if it doesn't happen I'll still enjoy my life solo. That's what I'm trying to do. I mistakenly let the pursuit of love make me miserable a couple times when I was younger, and if I'm going to do it now it's going to be with someone who really gets me and has a good heart.

Super important. it's one of my favorite things. Luckily my bf is still extremely romantic after 2 years. I wouldn't want it any other way :)

I am a junior in highschool so the dateing thing is going on all around me. true i wouldn't mid having a girl to go and just hang out with is not a bad thing for me, i see all the drama that the "relationships" in highschool seem to generate. also getting a girlfriend this close to college is a little stupid. very few if any will survive the college long distance thing. and especialy if i plan to go to the air force after college i don't want another bag to drag with me from highschool

As much as I enjoyed it, dating in high school only spelled out a lot of trouble for me, so I took to avoid it towards the end. Even though I value it I'm in no hurry to just jump in relationships for the hell of it.

Though come to think of it I'm a bit bored right now and maybe one would do me good.

Also lol at the tag "Get in the kitchen"

Edited by TOMahwk

Well I tried to do something special for my very special somepony on hearts and hooves day. I got the biggest lollipop I could find at Walmart. And when the day came, I messed it all up. I was so nervous about giving it to my special somepony that I asked a friend to give the lollipop to them and say that it was from me. It all worked out and nopony got confused, I even made their whole class d'aww. In the end my special somepony said that they'd rather be just friends. Then my heart just shattered into a billion pieces, as if I pulled it out of my chest and threw it on the floor. We were at least friends so I guess it was okay, but I had to move and all my friends are behind me now. I promised to never love again so I wouldn't feel sad anymore. To me, romance is a low priority.

Nearing the end of middle school, throughout highschool, and even a bit beyond it I really thought I wanted the stereotypical romantic relationship. I think I wanted it because that's typically what society expects from people, and if you don't have a girlfriend and a job and a house and a car and everything else society expects from you you are practically deemed an outcast and a loser.

And I found a girl, she was my best friend, and I ruined our friendship because I tried so hard to make her like me that I lost myself. I nearly drove myself insane. The shame I feel over this even 3 or 4 years later is unrelenting and perhaps that is a fitting punishment.

Back then I may have said it was the most important thing to me. Now I care nothing for it and I find the need of a relationship to be a spawn of pride and greed. I don't spend my time daydreaming about the past or the future, what might have been or what could be, picnics and roses or other frivolous sentimental things. What I long for now is a friendship like the one that I had lost, maybe one stronger than the one I lost - a best friend that knows me as well as I know them, that won't give up on me no matter the circumstance.

Though I don't really expect to find anyone like that, at least not any time soon... But who knows, I'll leave it up to fate

Edited by Hollowshield
  • Brohoof 1

It's not that important to me at all. Right now I am more focused on my future than maintaining a relationship. I just got out of a two year relationship, and I am not looking for another one anytime soon.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm 14 and dating. It's a young age, yes, but I think it's an accaptale age to be dating. Telling a 14 year old "you're too young to be dating" is like telling someone to stop crying because they broke their leg. You don't know what their feeling. If I am wrong tell me otherwise.

As for the romance thing, it's something I wasn't looking for when I found my girlfriend, it was just something that I felt and needed to tell her.

• Brohoof 1

I'm 23 now, I've tried dating here and there but it didn't work out

the problem with being so strange is you only ever get along with other very strange sorts, though those girls rarely want to date, (at least not me)

I stopped caring, really.

It won't happen, now this whole watching MLP is just one more nail in the coffin, no matter how big of a house I have or what kind of car I drive.

They still have to talk to me, and try their idiotic games that I outgrew a long time ago, but people my age still seem so strung up in

• Brohoof 1

romance has very little importance to me, every now and thing i think about what it would be like if i had a girlfriend, but really i dont care, and as an outside looking in, and from everything ive observed, its not worth it, it just creates nonsensical drama that i could live without

• Brohoof 2

Well, so many guys my age are, "dating" girls (Which to them means hanging out with like 15 other people and that one girl). At first I was like, eh, it could be interesting seeing where these so called, "relationships" go, but so many fake, dramatic, and otherwise stupid ones popped up, to the point where I got so fed up with it that it's at the very bottom of my importance list. I just think it's outrageous how my friends are in these relationships at only 13 years old. Seriously, wait until your 18.

Edited by Lil' Tokyo
  • Brohoof 1

At the very bottom on my scale of importance, im am seriously so uninterested in a relationships that i could almost be considered asexual if it wasn't for my tendency to notice some of the passing females XD

• Brohoof 1

I find it interesting how some people have said that they would only like to date once, and have it last for the rest of their lives. 98% of the time, you're not going to find that person who is perfect for you that one time. Relationships can be harder, and you get better at them with each one you have in my opinion. Sure, dating isn't that important, but you learn a lot more about yourself while in a relationship that you would have never known. Different people push your buttons differently, in good and bad ways, so how can one know that much about themselves if they are going to be with that one person that they've dated for the rest of their lives. I am currently my boyfriend's third girlfriend, and his only long term relationship after being out of his marriage. He learned a lot from his marriage, and his last girlfriend about himself in order to have the best relationship he possibly can with me. Me, on the other hand, have had plenty of different relationships in my life. I've been with different men, and women from all classes, and walks of life. I take a thing out of each relationship that I've been in, no matter how shitty it still teaches me something.

Romance when I am single is not important to me, but romance when I am in a relationship is at the utmost importance in that relationship. There is a reason I am in love with you, and I would love to show you such. I think once the romance start to die, the relationship starts to die.

Edited by CharlieManson
  • Brohoof 1