Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you act differently in real life?

Shiki

I'm admittedly a bit more reserved in real life than I am on here. I dislike talking a bit because my voice, which is still developing in a way that I'm not used to, is a source of self consciousness.

That said, save for being a bit more quiet, I have no issue speaking either curtly or at length about matters with my peers. I'm a bit wordier in real life because it's not as simple to tell if I'm lapsing into sesquipedalian loquaciousness a little, sure, but I'm just as brusque, sarcastic and willing to add to a conversation as I am on here.

I do, however, pick and choose a bit more when it comes to just who I'm going to talk to. Much easier to waste your time with people in person than it is on here.

It sucks to admit but I totally act different in real life. I’m pretty to myself and quite, and I don’t really like or want the company of others, while on this site it is exactly the opposite. I love to talk, and enjoy the company of everypony.

I'm so much more social and talkative when I can hide behind a computer screen. And I seem to be more intelligent also...In real life I'm really shy at first and then once I get to know you I will seem like a flying monkey!

It seems like I'm the exact opposite of most people on here. I'm very friendly IRL and usually confident and often speak without thinking. However, I'm kind of a scardy-cat online. I'm always worried that someone is going to insult what I type, so I rarely start new topics and really think about what I am writing when I post replies (even reading it over many times and editing so I don't sound dumb).

I think it's because a while ago, the first time I got involved in a forum (I think it was a Survivor related one, but I can't quite remember), I posted a new topic and everyone came in and ripped everything I said into shreds - and in the very meanest way possible, too. It's kind of silly, but that kind of traumatized me and made me feel really bad. I know not everyone on the net is like that (and in fact, a lot of posters I've met since have been very kind, friendly and helpful), but I guess I'm still a bit gunshy about posting. Maybe its the anonymity of online conversation that allows people to insult more readily wherein real life, they would probably not say anything. Also, there's the fact that people can be much more articulate online than IRL, so their words can be even more scathing at times.

Edited by Carolina

I'm awkward and weird and hate everything I say.

On the internet I'm all that, but I can also be a lot better than that too. I like the internet me more.

nope. i am as i am. i mean i know how to act when i go to a place of work but other than that im the same cool laid back guy i always am. And i dont believe in sugar coating stuff. im just real that way.

Edited by Razorwing

I really don't act much different IRL than internet life. In both, most see me as completely random and odd, with some people seeing the other side of my randomness. On that side, if that's what a person would first me as, they'd think I'm a perverted freak, who jumps and bounces a lot. I just try to be me.

I'm probably LESS outgoing on here than I am in real life.

IDGAF about what people think of me so I do whatever I want, even if people regard it as weird :P

As sad as it is, Yes.

Online I've been known to be a real piece of work. Just being a complete jerk.

But away, I'm very different. I'm quiet, the sad sack that tries to help whenever he can. Weird, no?

Edited by Writer

I'm probably more political and cynical online, but in real life, I can be a sweet gentlemen and just be very out-going. I think on the Internet, it's more stressful for you because you can't really show pure emotion in text.

Generally, I am a lot more shy in real life.

I find it hard to join in conversations with people I don't know.

I have problems talking to women sometimes. I get all red faced, and all that jazz.

Kind of.Im kinda shy in RL.Non-talkative,inactive and stuff like that.But in the internet i am talkative.

I think many others are more talkative in the internet.

Edited by Moon of Day

One of the only differences about me compared from the internet to real life is that I never talk in real life, I barely do actually. I can never admit things and I never seem to bother with anyone.

I'm pretty introverted in real life, but I've made strides in being able to deal with people in general.

Talking to women is still far easier on the internet, and I'm still not great at it.

That and I'm still rather quiet in social settings. Still sarcastic and such, though.

Eeyep.

I'm speaking harshly in real life, I used to be like that in the internet too, but realised that there big amount of people you could hurt easily in the internet. But in real life with friends I'm trying to speak frankly even if I know that can hurt someone with my words.

More crass in real life by far. I can step on toes sometimes, since my mouth runs faster than my brain does, and I'll blurt out stupid stuff. I'm not shy, but I tend to avoid talking because of my dumb mouth and because I don't often have anything to say.

• 1 year later...

This evening, I was watching a show called "Catfish"on MTV. If you haven't seen it, the basic set-up is that people have these online friendships or relationships with people they've never met, and then the producers of the tv show come in and initiate a real life meeting between the two people.

This usually ends with at least one of them finding out that  the other person was not who they thought they were, or discovering that they had fabricated a good portion of their life and/or personality.

It got me thinking:

How many people actually act like they do in real life, in an online environment? Do you have the same tone of voice? The same attitude?

Are there things you'd be comfortable with saying or asking online that you would never consider in a real life setting? Or are you the essentially the same person, online and off?

Leave your answers in the comments below.

Edited by jackleapp81

No, I don't.  I don't really use sarcasm on the internet, for starters, because it gets confusing without the voice and all.  Also, you can think about what you say way more when you're on the internet.  Sometimes I can get seen as really mean in real life when I'm angry. On the internet, I can just ignore the person and respond when I feel calmer.  Lastly, you can choose the people to which you talk on the internet.  Like if I want to talk about the show, I come here.  If I want to talk about my art, I go to Deviantart and ect.  In real life, people think I'm obsessed with tons of things because it's hard to find people with the same interests.  It's really different :\

Yes, I do. Online, I am a very social person. I tend to joke around more, talk more, and overall act like a more lively person. Offline, I am not lively in the slightest. I am very shy for starters. I barely speak, sometimes not at all, and I have a very nervous aura about me. I'm completely different online as you can see. The thing is, I just act like myself online while I am too scared to do it in real life. :P

Edited by SmartyPants

I don't fake anything, but I am quite a bit more outgoing and extroverted online than I am in real life. I'm also somewhat better spoken, but that's only because it's easier for me to me articulate in text than it is in actual speech.

So the main difference is that I'm extroverted online, but introverted in real life. 

I suppose there's also issues I'd debate online that I wouldn't with someone face to face(again, it comes down to me being more articulate in written form that actual speech and the fact I'd fall all over myself trying to discuss something complex in real time, instead of text that I could think carefully about and take my time typing and double checking) 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I've fabricated an online persona. The way I type on the forums is the way I talk with my close friends, co-workers and certain associates. Usually fairly verbose, but still slightly filtered.

When it comes to talking with complete strangers or conversing with multiple people at once, I'm a lot more quiet. I don't like talking face to face with strangers much and I don't know when to contribute to a multiple-person conversation. I usually end up feeling like I'm interrupting something and end up being a third party to a two-person conversation.

So yes, if someone did this test and I didn't know who they were, I would probably seem different.

edited for Clarity

Edited by Celtore