Microsoft's logo  

90 users have voted

1. 1. Which logo do you like the most?

My impressions:

1975: lolwut

1980: Metal. That is all.

1982: Meh

1987: More professional but still meh

2012: Lololol no. Grey text and super corny windows. Just no.

I'd go with the 1980 or the 87 one personally.

• Brohoof 1

I like how the logo got blander and blander every single time they get a new one.

But you gotta go with the crowd, almost every single company is changing their logo to something that shows no creativity whatsoever. Because you know, the new generation likes bland crap that gives no imagination to them.

Call me nostalgic, but I really liked the 1980 one. I still own a couple PC games with that logo and I always preferred it over any of the newer ones. (Or older ones for that matter.) I like it better because it's not overly simple, but it's got a neat little design to it. The 1987 logo I felt was a little too simple, because the only really unique thing about it was it had a little chip in the O and a copyright symbol. Otherwise it just looks like a plain and simple font. (At least in my opinion.)

The 1975 logo was also fairly good, but it's a funny thing to look at. It was certainly unique and represented microsoft well, and yet it just didn't quite feel right. I'm going to go ahead and blame my OCD for this, because for some reason the fact the lines don't quite match up within the letters just bugs me...

The new one very deeply reflects the concept of Windows being Microsoft's biggest success. If you travel back through time for the different versions of windows, you see those colour patterns all throughout. In fact, the new logo's colours are in the exact same order as Windows. I don't really like this because they just recycled something. If they had done something a little more creative with it instead of putting it in a box than I might be more satisfied, but that text makes me cringe. I like simple, but they could have done something a little more creative with the font.

Just my opinion(s) on the matter. Either way it's great to see change every once and a while. (Especially after 30 years or so, dang that logo was getting old!)

• Brohoof 1

I like this new one. It's just plain and simple. The logo seems a little too simple though for me, although I still prefer it over the classic '87 version. If the four squares slightly overlapped each other, I felt like that would make it better for me :)

I like the older logo from 1987, but the 2012 logo is pretty nice, more of eye candy, they want to open up to younger generations, cause they think the younger ones use Apple products.

Please everybody, we all know this should have been the new logo

post-6310-0-32105000-1346287334.jpg

"Microsoft: Bringing you technology faster than Rainbow Dash"

can you say best business ever?

BEAUTIFUL! :D Oooh, no no, put the word "Microsoft" in the stripes in her mane. Make it move with the mane. Put like, a translucent grey "Microsoft" there, so it looks like it's a bunch of different colours. Well, I sorta did it here:

Posted Image

• Brohoof 4

The new one looks too much like all the other "revamped" logos nowadays. Just an abstract logo and the name in a simple sans-serif font. The 1987 one was, in my opinion, the most eye-catching and distinctive.

• Brohoof 1

the first logo looks extremely retro lol. wouldn't fit anywhere in today at all, though i like the curvy lettering.

the second one looks so much like the Metallica logo i'm gonna spend my time now figuring out a way to combine the both words with each other. Microllica... Metallsoft... Microsoftica?

the 3rd one is just ugh. i don't like it at all. the "O" in the middle looks butt-ugly and the font is horrible.

the 4th one isn't much better, really. just a fat, ugly font with a "break-up" in the middle to make things look "unique".

the 5th one is actually better than the 3 previous ones because it actually gives me the feeling that "this is an official logotype for a company" and not "this is someone typing in the logo of a company in a "unique looking" font". however the grey font and square block sans Windows logo looks a bit ugly in a way, simplicity aside. it's just something about it i don't like too much

if i had to rank them, i like the first and newest one the best because they look like some actually unique designs rather than some random font slapped in and edited a bit to make it appeal more to the eye, the first one the most because despite it being so horribly retro-active it's the coolest design of them all, and the last one because it looks more like a design than a random font-logotype thingy. the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th one are all clumped into "horrible" territory for me.

The new logo just perfectly represents how simplified everything is becoming. Which I don't like, and is why I won't be getting Windows 8. I don't want a cell phone interface for my OS.

• Brohoof 1

@@Envy, to be honest, i think things are becoming more and more complicated not simplified. i think the goal might be to simplify things, but i don't think that is what is actually happening.

Can't help but notice that the logos seem to get simpler and more boring as time goes on. I mean look at 1975, then look at 2012! How do you go from such a frivolous, fun-looking and attention-grabbing logo to such a cold, corporate, no-nonsense one like that? It probably doesn't directly affect their business, seeing as how Microsoft is.....well, Microsoft, but a little originality never hurt anyone... <.< Edited by Fire_Fly
  • Brohoof 2

I don't understand the love for the '87 logo; it's the blandest of them all. At least the new one has color.

I could be wrong, but I feel like many are going with the '87 simply because it's the one they grew up with and know really well.

I think it's about time Microsoft pulled themselves out of the 90's. I prefer the new logo because it's not trying to be incredibly eye-catching like some of the past logos were.

Microsoft probably realised that a simpler logo will help bring more attention to their products instead of the company name.

Apple is a fine example of putting the product first. People nowadays don't refer to Macs as an 'Apple Macintosh' because they're such a well established name that it has just become obvious which company was behind it.

The new one looks really clean and simple, but it looks kind of.. blah. It's boring and unoriginal. I prefer the 1987 one since I'm used to it, so I might be biased, but I don't like how things like logos are getting more simplistic.. It's so uniform and boring.

• Brohoof 1

It's so uniform and boring Microsoft.

Fixed :lol: Clearly the same Microsoft we know and love. I think even though it doesn't look good, it fits what comes to mind when I think of Microsoft. Uniform. Boring.