Best Pre-G4 Generation

Regality

22 users have voted

1. 1. Best Pre-G4 Generation

• Generation 1 (1982)
    • My Little Pony Tales (1992)
    • Generation 3 (2003)
    • Generation 3.5 (2010)

I know most of us would agree that FiM is the best tv series of MLP by far, but in your opinion, what is the best generation before FiM?

Notice I said best, not favorite. So elements such as voice acting, animation, and general plot structure must be considered.

In my opinion it'd be Generation 1. While the plots are generally cliche, the animation had it's own style to it that other generations failed at. Also, the villains usually had slightly darker intentions, something future generations would lack.

~~

Edited by Regality
  • Brohoof 2

generation 3.5 was, although the lowest on the plot end, was the best on the voice acting end (partly due to having 2 of the FiM voice actresses) and actually had a few funny moments

technically 3 were involved, as the gen 3 ponies got the gen 3.5 voices before the art style changed over

G1 was the best in my opinion, it was the only one that had an actually good story with it... One of the things I really don't like about it were the voice actresses and actors...

• Brohoof 2

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 1

G1 was at least tolerable. The villains were kinda creepy and actually tried to be threatening, and there were other magical creatures and witches and whatnot. I hated the pony designs though, they looked like hippos. G3.5 improved on the designs, but failed in most other respects.

• Brohoof 3

OH, you meant SHOW! XD See, I was all like "TOYS! :D" ....http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png My brain....I liked the G1's big squishy butts...they were cute...But in terms of SHOW, oh HELL yes G1 was the best as well. Bushwoolies (NOT DIRTY!), a LIVING RAINBOW, Catrina, The SMOOZE? Heck yes. Good stuff. The stuff my childhood was made of. <3

• Brohoof 3

G1 by far. Basically, it was everything cartooons had typically during the 40s~80s era. The animation was simple and limited. There was a good plot, human charcaterstics (as well as humans themselves), dark tones, scary threats and villainous figures, and the ponies were actually kinda cute at times.

Overall in quality, G1 really is the second-best My Little Pony television generation in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

G1 definitively, it's more similar to G4 than most think, which is based after G1 after all. It was a decent cartoon for its time. Good story line most of the time, danger is present and you can find characters that are similar to G4 ones.

G1 by far. Basically, it was everything cartooons had typically during the 40s~80s era. The animation was simple and limited. There was a good plot, human charcaterstics (as well as humans themselves), dark tones, scary threats and villainous figures, and the ponies were actually kinda cute at times.

Overall in quality, G1 really is the second-best My Little Pony television generation in my opinion.

I agree; the show had quite a bit going for it in regards to future generations. However, looking ahead to G4, it simply doesn't compare in terms of quality.
  • Brohoof 1

G1. After re-watching a few Tales, G3 and 3.5 episodes, I think most of us can agree that it's the second best. The characters in other generations arn't original and are just boring, as well as the animation isn't that great, and the wiritng was terrible. I can really only watch G1 and G4 without screaming in agony. Edited by AmethystMoonRising

That would definitely be Generation 1. I liked the fantasy setting and the villains had that classic 80's feeling to them. The pony designs left more to be desired, as did their personalities.

I havent seen any Generations other than G.4 However i've seen a few clips from G.1 and one of the villians did look very dark wich is saying alot coming from a little girls show.

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~

MLP tales is probably the least cringe worthy for an adult to watch as it was more geared towards preteens than the little girls who would typically be interested in G1. Seriously, the show touched on some serious stuff such as growing up, starting to date, family issues, body images and fitting in. It's the first and only MLP show other than FIM to feature stallions, and as big roles too. The only main problem with it is that it loses all of it's fantasy elements from the past shows, all of the ponies are Earth Ponies (so a lot of hoof-hands) and it seems to take place in a universe where ponies somehow have modern day technology (for the 90s, anyway.) Also, the animation, voice acting and songs are... er... at least the characters seem somewhat memorable...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaV5SCLir_g

But seriously, was G1 or G3 was any better quality? In G3 all the ponies were blatantly obvious recolors of each other. G3 probably had the best toys though, in my opinion.

Edited by Rarietty

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...