Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

Not much, I'm sure. My mom knows, my dad doesn't, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't really care. I felt a slightly embarrassed to mention to my mom that I'd been watching the latest incarnation of MLP, lately, but she didn't really have anything to say about it. However, I don't think either of them know what kind of a sub-cultural thing MLP has become. Even if they did, though, again, doubt they'd care.

Both of my parents are cool with it. Actually, they're beyond that. They're supportive of it. They support the fact that I also make music for the fandom. My mom even said she'd let me go to BroNYcon... next year. lol I'm cool with that.

As for friends, well, not many of them know. Most of the ones who do know turned out to be bronies as well, and a few are actually starting to like it. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I told my dad about it about a month and a half ago (though I never brought up the term "brony") and he didn't seem to mind much.

Seeing as I live around 1000 miles away from them, it doesn't really matter in the end. When they visit next, they'll probably end up seeing my MLP desktop theme. Pessimistically, I figure things will go one of two ways from there. Either they'll awkwardly try to ignore it (troll-mode engage :P ) or they'll figure I'm further down the path to Satan than they thought (they're extreme Born Again types). Either way, they'll be gone a few days later and I can get back to life as I love it.

If I'm going to venture down the hopeless-optimism rabbit hole, they may just ignore it. I'd be perfectly happy with that.

My parents don't know. I don't think my mom would mind, but I think my dad would be a little weirded out. My younger brother, however, knows and also likes MLP. He's totally obsessed with Rainbow Dash, and will happily watch any episode with her in it.

No. I've told ONE friend. That's it.

Honestly my parents know I'm a little weird and unpredictable. So I think they will tease me a little and stuff but other than that it might just die off. I mean, its not like I'm going to get so obsessed with the show that I'm going to watch it in my living room, right? My Mom will probably just say, "Thats cool bro." and my dad might just start calling me gay and tease me. I'm used to it by now, anyway. Not that I'm gay or anything, I'm pretty straight. Me and my Dad just joke around with each other.

Plus, is it a little weird for a 13 year old to watch ponies? I'm starting to question whether it is or not.

My mom just thinks it's a cute, if a little odd, continuation of my pony-love from childhood. I had a ton of MLPs in the late 80s and early 90s, my mom eventually donated them to the salvation army when she decided that I was "too old." She bought me a Pinkie Pie figure from Wal-Mart this weekend though for no reason, so that was nice.

I don't really talk to my dad.

My dad doesnt mind, and he even watched a couple episodes with me. My mom however thought it was a joke for the first couple weeks... now they politely let me be whatever i want whenever i want. At school, i get asked a lot of awkward questions and sometimes people shout evil things at me. However a lot of girls find it "cute" that i watch a show for little girls. The most common thing people call me is a clopper, but that, i am not. But its fun when people start asking me questions about the show, and i get to discuss it with real people. Sometimes someone even discretely asks me where they could try watching it! A old friend of mine told me he didnt wanna hang out with fags, and i told him i wasnt gay, but he ignored it. And if i was gay, why would it be a problem for him?

(edited)

My parents found out I'm a brony yesterday, becuz i added 2 new (brony)friends to my facebook. they saw there facebook pages and they got really pissed cuz i added them. i told them it's not a big deal and that i'm a brony too. but now they forbidden me to be a brony, (I'm typing this in secret) i had to delete those friend and my dad things im gay.

What should i do? :(

sorry for my bad english, i'm dutch and dislextic. :D

Edited by Mrnuke

(edited)

I still remember how my parents reacted when I first showed them the show- Mom(February 14th, I think):

Me: Hey I wanna show you that show I told you I watched. Mom: Ok (I change channel, Suited for Success is starting) Me: That's Rarity, she likes making dresses. Mom: (laughs) I'm worried about you... :huh:

Dad(some Monday in March, after It's About Time premiered):

Me: Hey, dad, you love me right? Dad: Well of course I love ya. Me: You don't mind if I watch something at 10:30 do you? Dad: Sure I guess. (I hesitantly turn the channel at 10:30) Dad: My Little Pony? Me: Yeah, it's not what you think! It's a good show! Dad: Whatever(leaves living room)

They're both more accepting now though, they've even seen a few eps with me. I still don't think they like the show very much though, but idc as long as they don't rag me about liking it(and I try not to shove it in their face). :P

Edited by SBB64

Mine found out when I went out and bought the Mane 6 toys and a Fluttershy hoodie. And they arrived in the mail...while I was at camp and wouldn't be home for another four days. My mom knew I was a big net junkie, and my dad's always to drunk to care, but my brothers circulated it so quick, when I got back to school, the middle & elementary schools knew it quicker than the high school, somehow. So my mom occasionally makes a crack, my dad watches the show (he says it's better than watching teletubbies, his previous uber drunk show), and I get shit in my locker twice a week, either burning me or asking for contact info.

No one knows but me.I want to tell my mom but if any one at my school ever, and i mean ever found out i would most likely be shunned completely and no one, and i mean no one would talk to mean.

Dad walks into room

TV playing MLP

He watches for 10 seconds

Tells me to study for my Finals

He walks out of room

Mom walks into room

Ignores TV

(edited)

My mom was fine with it. I didn't want my dad to know until he found out 4 months later when I got 2 Rainbow Dash T's for Christmas.

Not a single darn was given that day.

Edited by тwιℓιgнт ѕραякℓє

My parents are fine with it. My dad teases me about it sometimes but he also watches the show with me sometimes. My friends are ok with it too, although I'd love to have more brony friends.

My parents are fine with it especially because my dad was a big powerpuff girls fan when he was a kid. A good portion of my friends were bronies when I met them, others I converted, and the rest are fine ith it, but they tease me from time to time.

My mum was confused at first but didn't mind. My sister used to be a fan of the original G1 so she was surprised that I been keeping her informed on how G4 goes, even buying her daughter the Applejack playset for her birthday.

My dad joked about it at first but I don't think he minds at all. Hell he even got me a G1 blind bag SOMEHOW...so now I have a little model of Firefly XD

My father has been in the hospital since I joined the community earlier this year. So I'm not sure on his opinion. (Though he thought Rarity was adorable, when I brought my rarity toy with me on my last visit!)

My mother is totally fine with it, and supportive as well.

Every now and then, she'll ask how my pony commissions are doing and such. :)

She's also bought me a couple pony toys as well.

Even before MLP:fiM , my mom has always known that I tend to love adorable cartoons and characters! (Heck, she bought me dora the explorer socks for my birthday a couple years ago.)

NO ONE MUST EVER KNOW. O-O :unsure:

Basically this. I have no intention of ever telling them, unless they catch me watching it, or if they find my small (but growing) stash of merchandise. My mum would probably be fine with it, but my dad is a tad judgmental, which is rather disappointing, because I would really love to share the show with them... :(