Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Sega or Nintendo?

Lost Profile

Video Game war II  

48 users have voted

1. 1. Witch one?

• Sega
    • Nintendo

ummmm... well 32x and CD weren't separate consoles...

but if you wanted to add another console from that era, why not use the Sega Jaguar? It was "64" bit..

I'm not for either, i love them both with pros and cons, nostalgia was in both of those companies :)

Has to be Nintendo I spent my whole childhood playing the gamecube and trying to buy one since I had to use it at my cousins house and at the time they were still on the shelf for like £200 mario cart on the gamecube will always be the best now I have 2 gamecube's and I am happy

well it would have been Nintendo in the beginning mainly because of the games (mainly Kirby and donkey kong ) but i'm gonna have to go with Sega for the Saturn and Dreamcast for games and innovation

Sega all the way, I own a Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive and Mega CD I've played them all insanely Segas games are hidden but once I found them they ruled my world Shinobis, Shining Forces, MUSHA, Snatcher, Virtua Racing (3D graphics with smoother frame rates and more polygons than Star Fox), Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone, Castlevania Bloodlines, Skitchin' , Splatterhouse 2, Contra hard corps

Dare I mention the Mega Drives 7.67mhz Motorola 6800 CPU actualy had a faster clock speed than the Super Nintendos 3.58mhz Ricoh 5A22 CPU resulting in some faster multi plats with smoother frame rates? (Street Fighter 2 is much faster on Mega Drive)

The Mega Drive is also 100% compatible with Master System games get yourself a nice Model 1 and Segas Master System Converter and you have a fully working Master System.

Now I will stop being a fanboy and say yes the Super Nintendo is technicaly superior in nearly every other way and both systems are amazing in there own right its just a matter of personal opinion

Sega all the way, I own a Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive and Mega CD I've played them all insanely Segas games are hidden but once I found them they ruled my world Shinobis, Shining Forces, MUSHA, Snatcher, Virtua Racing (3D graphics with smoother frame rates and more polygons than Star Fox), Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone, Castlevania Bloodlines, Skitchin' , Splatterhouse 2, Contra hard corps

Dare I mention the Mega Drives 7.67mhz Motorola 6800 CPU actualy had a faster clock speed than the Super Nintendos 3.58mhz Ricoh 5A22 CPU resulting in some faster multi plats with smoother frame rates? (Street Fighter 2 is much faster on Mega Drive)

The Mega Drive is also 100% compatible with Master System games get yourself a nice Model 1 and Segas Master System Converter and you have a fully working Master System.

Now I will stop being a fanboy and say yes the Super Nintendo is technicaly superior in nearly every other way and both systems are amazing in there own right its just a matter of personal opinion

I was reading your post and was about to call you out, but you already said it, which is cool!

I would defiantly say that Sega was ahead of it's time with the ideas they implemented, what with the backwards compatibility, the monster the genesis can become, (Sega genesis+ master system converter+ Sega CD+ 32x= WTF did I just do?! Build a bomb?!) but their only problem was that they kept trying to bring more and more things to the table. No parent could afford to keep up with Sega for their kids. The sad thing is, if Sega waited till now, to start releasing peripherals to whatever console it would have out by now, one's that would increase processing power and texture rates, they'd be swimming in all the money!

@, @,

Oh villan, Nintendo and Sega doesn't even compare.

Nintendo wins before the battle even starts.

It's like comparing Linux with Windows.

DOESNT WORK MATE.

No I am not a fanboy of Nintendo. But you gotta see that they win.

Here's an interesting video btw

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKITo6Lts3I

Look what Sega has made the recent years.

Then look what Nintendo has made the recent years.

OPEN YOUR EYES.

Edited by Mr. Nibblers

Sadly, many people here probably don't remember what Sega was like in its glory days and remember it only for the aging Sonic franchise. "Urr, Nintendo's still making systems so it's gotta be them rite?" Not necessarily. Sega was making arcade hits in the 1960's when Nintendo was still doing cards, taxi services and "love hotels." Their Master System was technically far superior to the NES, although nobody noticed it. And yes, the Genesis did what Nintendon't. Although what Nintendo did was still pretty cool, ultimately Sega and their superior creativity left a deeper impression on me as a gamer. I would never part with my Genesis or Dreamcast.

Good titles on the Sega CD and 32x? Admittedly, not many. They are games that should definitely be played on ROM or a compilation, but not worth buying the system for at today's collector prices. For the CD: Sonic CD, Sewer Shark, Popful Mail, Rise of the Dragon and a few others. For the 32x: Star Wars Arcade, Doom, Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Racer 32x.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 2

I'm a neutrality on this, but I'm really leaning towards nintendo. Fuck, I grew up with Mario, so I just can't go with Sega. Hm, Maybe I need to break out my NES and SMB3 later...

Nintendo by miles. They beat the SNES for a while thanks to Sonic 2, but I never really was a fan of Sega's games aside from the Sonic series, but even they have only had like 15 or so games that I actually like. 32X, CD, and Saturn were all commercial failures, and they're in a deep financial hardship right now. Nintendo has so many franchises that I love, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, etc. and are at least still in the console business (despite waiting 6 fucking years to produce an HD console!) Also, Super Metroid. Nuff said

Are you kidding?

Nintendo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sega.

While I enjoy most of Sega's games, I enjoy Nintendo's games much more. Plus they got an awesome new console coming up, and Sega became a third party developer, so yeah. :P

...why not use the Sega Jaguar? It was "64" bit...

The Jaguar was an Atari system, not a Sega system.

Another reason I don't like Sega is that they used the same marketing strategy as Sony and Apple (Two of my most hated companies): They have to resort to mocking the competition in order to make their products look better. These commercials operate under the delusion that their product is some sort of god, and the competition might as well be made out of feces. In reality, these products are mediocre compared to their much more successful counterparts. Nintendo (and Microsoft) don't have to use these sort of ads because their products truly are better, and thus they don't need to insult the competition just to sell units.

Edited by HylianMadness

When it came down to hardware, the SNES had the Genesis beat in every category except the processor, but that didn't even matter. The SNES had a few titles that moved at a Sonic pace in one or two levels, demonstrating that it could render things at least that quickly, but even if the Genesis could provide faster gameplay than what we got in the Sonic series it would be unplayable because human reflexes wouldn't be able to keep up, making the speed comparison a moot point. And that's the only thing that Sega ever bragged about back then: speed. The SNES had it beat in every other category when it came to hardware, but there wasn't any practical difference when it came to playability. So that whole thing about "Genesis does what Nintendont" was a complete load. And if it really was so much better they wouldn't have needed two peripherals (which both sucked hard) in order to compete with an unmodified SNES.

I'm not knocking the Genesis. It was a good system that held its own just fine against what Nintendo had to offer at the time. Sega is what I didn't like, not the Genesis. If they had been more concerned with producing quality content that speaks for itself rather than trying to crush Nintendo all the time, they may still be in the console business rather than making games for their former rival.

What really makes or breaks a system is its library of games. Genesis' exclusives were great, but I usually favored the Super Nintendo version of cross-platform games because the SNES had a more versatile controller, and that usually was enough to give Nintendo the edge from my perspective. Sonic was the biggest reason I wanted a Genesis. It had some other good exclusives like Streets of Rage (though good, it's highly overrated), Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Shinobi, and if you were a sports fan (which I wasn't) Genesis had everything you could ever want. So the Genesis had some great stuff, but I preferred what was available on Nintendo because I was more of an RPG guy, and Nintendo had Sega beat in that department, and generally had better beat 'em ups.

And because Castlevania IV is the greatest game in the series, even to this day.

Why must you split me up dang up.

UH. UHHHH. Nintendo because I can't think clearly at the moment and I like my 3DS. A lot actually....

Nintendo, although now I came to not really like them ($60 for a WiiU game is outrageous, unless if its 1080p, 3d compatible, headset and keyboard compatible, has a Great multiplayer, awesome co-op and above all is just good) Although I do have more Snes &Wii games combined then all of my Xbox (no, not 360) games, but not enought to beat all of my Playstation 3 games. (although all of my Playstation, Playstation 2, and Playstation 3 games just own all the others in their numbers.)

This is asking me to pick which of my two children I like the most. [if I had any.] Nintendo is Nintendo. I mean only hell they have Mario and Zelda and Metroid and Pokemon and, god there all so great. Even though they are starting to milk Mario a bit too much. What happened to things like F-Zero?

But I like Sega too with Sonic and uhh.....Sonic. Yeah they need to use their other IPs like NIGHTs and Billy Hatcher and whatever else they have.

I'm going with Sega just because of how much I like Sonic.

When it came down to hardware, the SNES had the Genesis beat in every category except the processor, but that didn't even matter. The SNES had a few titles that moved at a Sonic pace in one or two levels, demonstrating that it could render things at least that quickly, but even if the Genesis could provide faster gameplay than what we got in the Sonic series it would be unplayable because human reflexes wouldn't be able to keep up, making the speed comparison a moot point. And that's the only thing that Sega ever bragged about back then: speed. The SNES had it beat in every other category when it came to hardware, but there wasn't any practical difference when it came to playability. So that whole thing about "Genesis does what Nintendont" was a complete load. And if it really was so much better they wouldn't have needed two peripherals (which both sucked hard) in order to compete with an unmodified SNES.

Yes, the Super Nintendo was the technically superior machine...mind you, the "Genesis does" line was used in commercials to compare it to the NES. ;) Against the SNES they moved on to the "blast processing" gimmick, which as you point out, lacked substance.

But hardware was never the issue for me, and neither was childhood nostalgia. I grew up on the NES and SNES myself. Didn't even have my first Genesis until the "hockey puck" model came out at a reduced price in the late 90s (ironically it outsold the budget version of the SNES), and I didn't explore the library until years after that. But when I did I stumbled upon a mother lode of forgotten games, the kind that ultimately made Sega what it was: Phantasy Star IV, Cool Spot, Gain Ground, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Buster's Hidden Treasure, Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes and more. Sonic, Vectorman and Streets of Rage were just the tip of the iceberg. Hell, I never even liked sports titles. But in the end it was the games, not the specs, that settled the issue for me.

• 1 month later...

I'd go with Nintendo. Though I really enjoy my sonic games, Nintendo had super smash bros, super Mario 64, and a ton more I could list.... I haven't ever played on the sega genesis, but the original Nintendo and Nintendo 64 was good enough for me.

• Brohoof 1

My first two game systems were the SNES and PS1, so I have a lot of fond memories of playing a lot of classic 16-bit Nintendo games (Secret of Mana (which was actually one of my first games), Final Fantasy IV and VI, Super Mario All-Stars (which I conclude is the greatest Mario compilation of all time), Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past, Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, etc.). When the PS1 came out, I just skipped to the 64-bit era with Sony.

However, my 2 older brothers were more into the Genesis, which back then I really couldn't see why. The only game that I really played for the Genesis at that point was Sonic The Hedgehog 2. It wasn't until I got a little older that I went back and played some classic Genesis games, including the whole Sonic trilogy (Sonic 3 & Knuckles), Flicky, Ristar, Vectorman, Comix Zone, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Ooze, Street Fighter II Turbo (which I thought was superior to the SNES version), and Doom. They used to have the 32X and Sega CD too, but the only game that they had for those add-ons was Sonic CD, which to me is the greatest Sega/retro game to have ever been created, and that's saying a lot because before that, I thought more detailed games like Final Fantasy VI were the greatest. But nope, Sonic CD was so impressive that I immediately deemed it my favorite.

Overall, I think that SNES wins a little over the Genesis but that's just because I grew up playing the SNES rather than playing the Genesis. Both consoles in my opinion have great classic titles, it's just so hard for me to compare the two.

Now, if we were talking about in today's standards, definitely Nintendo would be my choice, no matter how much I hated the Wii or it's small library of actual good games. After Sonic 2006, Sega ultimately lost interest for me in future Sonic 3D installments.

Nintendo for the following reasons:

Super Mario

Mario Kart

Legend of Zelda

Kirby

Nintendo DS

Wii

D-pad

Luigi's Mansion

Game Cube

Don't forget Chrono Trigger. Although Sega made good games, it just couldn't match nintendo, especially on various rpg games- name one good sega RPG :P
  • Brohoof 1