Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Head-Canons: What are the "rules" for your fanon universe?

Glitch

By that I mean, how do you think the world of Equestria operates? How do you think the MLP universe coincides with other universes? Basically, what are your personal head canons for MLP:FiM?I have three:1. Magic is an omnipresent force in Equestria, appearing in all ponies2. Should a being from another world that does not have magic come into Equestria, they will have a reaction to the magic in one form or another3. Time in Equestria is in synch with ours

• Brohoof 2

FLUTTERSHY IS DIMITRI'S. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Question: What about the 10 other people on the forum who say Fluttershy is their wife.

OT - There are two rules. Spitfire has to wear socks everywhere she goes and Friendship is Magic.

Edited by Death the Kid
  • Brohoof 1

Question: What about the 10 other people on the forum who say Fluttershy is their wife.

OT - There are two rules. Spitfire has to wears socks everywhere she goes and Friendship is Magic.

Answer: Dimitri has Fluttershy. I wish I had Fluttershy, but Dimitri has an awesome level of over 1400 so therefore, his decision is final.

Nah, Im just kidding.

Or am I...?

• Brohoof 1

• Royal Sisters are not all-powerful goddesses, but merely guardians who are attuned to control the Celestial Bodies.

• Earth Ponies have their own innate, subtle magic.

• Alicorns by nature are sterile, which compensated with their hyper regenerative traits. May life forever, but can be killed with excessive force.

• Discord is an embodiment of a force of nature, therefore if you managed to kill him, another will rise in his place.

• Ponies are made of 80% rubber.
Well, that's what I have in mind, which may or may not influenced by various fanmade materials or fictions :wacko:

Luna is best princess

Edited by Star Weaver
  • Brohoof 8

My only rule that hasn't already been stated here is ponies that are not completely and utterly unique (cough main characters cough) are completely oblivious to events happening around them and, even if they are involved in said events, they forget all about it by the next Saturday.

• Brohoof 3

There is no such thing as a natural born alicorn. All alicorns were either originally unicorns (Celestia, Luna) who had such a profound gift for magic as to make themselves immortal and grant themselves wings (likely for appearance as much as for ability to fly) or they were foals turned into alicorns by magic (Cadence). Twilight is in training to become an alicorn (of which she's unaware, Celestia hasn't told her the truth yet). Moreover, she is the result of selective breeding which selects for magical power. Whether she was part of a large group of ponies breed in hopes that a few would show such magical power or if it was always known she was born with such power is unclear. She studies friendship not just to enrich Equestrian culture and control the elements of harmony but also to cultivate her magical power as the most powerful equestrian magic (namely but not limited to the EoH) is based on the magic of friendship. Though friendship, and hence the magic of friendship, she will gain the ability to become an alicorn and subsequently the ability to control the day/night cycle. Similarly, Cadance foal-sat as a way to build character which would lead to stronger bonds of friendship and thus more magical power.

It's a common theme in cartoons, emotions being turned into physical or magical power. FiM embraces this through "the magic of friendship"- very literal.

I'm wrong about this of course. I mean selective breeding? In a kids show? How dumb am I for even thinking that? But anyway, those are my thoughts, worthless as they are.

Edited by RationalistPony

1.) Alicorns live forever, however can die, but only when seriously injured.

2.) Alicorns can only be Alicorns if granted with Alicorn powers by ponies that are considered gods. (Like Celestia or Luna)

3.) Luna is able to transform into Nightmare Moon or Luna with normal pony hair (instead of sparkly translucent hair)

whenever she wants and Celestia can have normal pony hair instead of her sparkly multicolored hair aswell.

4.) Though unicorns powers usually have something to do with their talent, unicorns can use any kind of magic.

1. Alicorns can die if there wings and horn are pulled off and burned over a special fire.

2. Only discord can make that special fire.

3. Only the ponies who represent the elements of harmony can pull an alicorn's wings and horn off.

4. Only discord, Celestia, and Luna are aware of this.

5. Changelings ponies who took another ponies life for selfish reasons.

6. Queen Chrysalis was an alicorn who took another ponies life for selfish reasons.

7. Changelings can not be killed and must be destroyed.

8. Queen Chrysalis must be killed like an alicorn.

Those are my rules.

• Brohoof 1

Well, how in-depth are we going here? I don't think I have the time to lay out my entire headcanon for everyone to see tonight. Describing the sociopolitical relations between the rest of the world and a nation who's leaders control the sun and moon is rough.

• Brohoof 1

Earth Ponies have their own innate, subtle magic.

^ This.

Earthies may seem normal. They may seem to just be ponies who walk around and kick trees. But one never knows what may happen with them...

• Brohoof 3

1: One cannot become an Alicorn, and there is little to no pattern as to who is born one. They are just exceedingly rare.

2: Earth Ponies have a natural (but not insurmountable) edge regarding strength and stamina, and have other more subtle abilities as well.

3: Trixie is not a misunderstood saint

4: Celestia and Luna are engaged in an epic trolling war that has spanned centuries

5: At least one of Dash's parents is dead (and Dash's mom is preferably identical in personality to "Mrs. Rainbow Dash's Mom" from the fic Where Your Heart Is by Cloudy Skies)

6: There is an underlying reason or event that explains why each of the 6 represents their specific element (E.G, Rarity's family was saved from poverty by an act of generosity, causing her to value it, Rainbow felt abandoned when her parent died and swore never to leave anyone behind like she was, et cetera)

7: Pinkie Pie has a massive crush on Dash that Dash is entirely oblivious to

8: The character's in Hearth's Warming Eve are distant ancestors of the Mane 6, and Commander Hurricane invented the Sonic Rainboom for the purpose of thrashing Gryphons

• Brohoof 3

1. Alicorns can be injured, but they are immortal

2. One day in the real world is one month in Equestria

3. Unicorns have limits to their magic

4. More females than males in Equestria

5. There are no kings and queens

6. Chrysalis is Discord's cousin

Posted Image

Haha, here's my little fanon rules:

1. Most alicorns are normal ponies. But those gifted with immortal-like status get it from their parents/other family members. (P.S. They also can still get injured/killed like anyone else.)

~1.1. An immortal-like alicorn can deem it's "alicornness" to another pony if said alicorn feels that pony is worthy of it. (Because why not? More alicorns=more fun!)

2. The reason you don't see normal alicorns walking about is because they got the hell out of dodge a loooong time ago. Let's just say that most of Equestria isn't very friendly towards "normal" flying unicorns...

3. Alicorns live in a small country given to them by the zebra ponies. In my mind, alicorns and zebras are pretty much BFFs.

4. Changeling ponies are a sister breed to flutter ponies. They are also a sub-breed of alicorns.

5. Speaking of which; flutter ponies, sea ponies, and merponies all exist somewhere in the planet. But currently, they've just been too camera-shy to make an appearance.

~5.5. And for the sake of those who imagine up other crazy pony breeds: all of those exist too. They're just too camera-shy.

6. The ages of the ponies are the same as humans. Mainly because I have a tiny brain and can't count horse years (or dog years, for that matter.) :V

Tada! That was too much fun. XD

/shot

• 1 month later...

1: Discord is the embodiment of unnatural chaos, while natural chaos, like harmony, is a non-tangible presence throughout the universe that occurs, well, naturally. Discord has been around since the beginning of time. Discord is immortal through age, and while not completely intangible, is practically impossible to kill due to his reality-warping powers and spirit classification.

2: Discord's species, 'Draconequus', is not an actual species of animal. It is a made up species to describe what Discord's appearance is. Because Discord has been around since the start of time, ponies thousands of years ago began to coin the term 'Draconequus', which means 'Dragon Horse', to describe the creature terrorizing them. The term stuck to legends of Discord throughout the centuries, and is still used in modern day. This is why Cheerliee explained the term to her students.

3: Alicorns are far more magically in-tuned than unicorns, have very long life spans, and after reaching a certain age they grow an ethereal mane, and cease changing in physical appearance for the rest of their lives, up until their death. This is why Cadence aged normally in front of our eyes, and does not have an ethereal mane, while Celestia and Luna, who have been around thousands of years, still look young, and have ethereal manes. They can be killed, and are not immortal.

4: Windigoes are actual creatures, and not simply a part of the Hearth's Warming Eve story. Due to being incredibly dangerous, they have been repressed by Celestia, who keeps them from shrouding Equestria in winter, even when hate sprouts in little, natural plumes here and there.

5: Changelings are a large insect-based species that resemble ponies, but are not directly linked, at least not through any evolutionary connections before thousands of years ago.

6: King Sombra was Celestia's student over a thousand years ago, and was her very first pupil. Being naive and inexperienced in training another pony in the ways of magic, Sombra strayed from the path of good and pursued dark magic in secret from her, which he found to be invigorating due to it's intense nature. It corrupted him little by little until there was nothing but a ruthless tyrant left. He fled Canterlot before Celestia finally grasped what had happened. He took over the Crystal Empire and ruled for a brief period, before his teacher and her sister took him down. Sombra was Celestia's biggest mistake.

I have plenty more, trust me, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

• Brohoof 5

From a logical standpoint, I think that there are only a few laws that need apply to equestrian physics.

Newton's three laws of motion apply

Gravity in Equestria is the same as on earth

Magic is an extra dimension added onto the 3 dimensional space which the ponies occupy, and Unicorns have the unique ability to manipulate items using this dimension.

The sun and moon are equidistant from Equestria and carry no momentum

Equestria is a planet, or the rotation of the sun and moon would be implausible

The stars are small holes in dimensional fabric that allow earth ponies and pegasi to view small specs of the magical dimension, hence their creation being directly linked to the magic of alicorns.

Royalty are alicorns, and alicorns are royalty, no exceptions.

The 3 species of ponies are equally powerful and important, just in different ways.

- Earth ponies have domain over the landscape. They are naturally in tune with the environment and can do things that no other species of pony can do, like grow crops.

- Pegasi have domain over the atmosphere. They are naturally in tune with the atmosphere and can do things no other species of pony can do, like walk on clouds and extensively manipulate the weather.

- Unicorns have domain over the magic that permeates through Equestria.

There are activities that all species of ponies can do that that might be in the others "domain," but can be done because of the laws of physics. For example, all ponies shake the ground when they walk, so all can participate in making the autumn leaves fall, even though trees fall under the Earth ponies' domain. Similarly, Pinkie Pie can manipulate fog because the air currents created when she moves quickly are able to move the cloud. At the same time, both Earth Ponies and Pegasi have passive forms of magic that allow them extensive control over their respective domains.

Mortal alicorns are "jacks of all trades" so to speak, being equally strong and hearty with a green hoof, being able to fly and walk on clouds and manipulate weather, and being able to use magic. Thus why they are often in leadership roles. They can have domain over all aspects of Equestria.

Demi-god alicorns have control over Equestria + space and time beyond.

How exactly these types of alicorns differ...I'm still trying to figure out.

Equestria is not only a different planet, but a different universe, similar to ours but with some vital changes to the laws of physics that allow for magic, sonic rainbooms, etc.

Love and hate aren't simply emotions, they are actual energies which can cause physical changes in the world.

Edited by StratoPegasus
  • Brohoof 2

- Ponies reproduce like other mammals.

- Alicorns are extraterrestrials in pony form

- Octavia and Vinyl don't live together.

- Zecora likes chicken and watermelons

- Equestria exists in an alternate universe.

- Equestria is a experiment conducted by aliens on pony behaviour.

- The ponies are completely oblivious to this.

- Magic doesn't exist, it's alien technology and horns are energy manipulators installed in young earth ponies to make them unicorns.

- smoke weed everyday

Hello!

Okay, i do not understand a little of what i am reading so far, so please tell me. Are people expressing their own "Fanons" like they thought of it, that mostly applies to them only? Or are people expressing the fandom fanons? The surrounding fanons? The Fanons that everyone follows?

I don't really want to post before i figure this one out :huh: don't want to end up looking to stupid...

• Equestria is a medium sized nation (physically smaller than  Brazil, larger than Germany) on a central continent of a planet that is non-specifically smaller than Earth. Its occupation density varies widely, from high density (Canterlot, Ponyville, Manehatten) to negligible (deserts and forests) and averaged would have a rather nominal population density. Perhaps as high as 200 capita-per-square-kilometre.

The Moon that orbits the planet on which Equestria lies, is significantly smaller than our own, proportionately as dense and orbits much closer. This explains its high rate of phase changes that results in the high frequency of full moons (almost every night).

The orbital eccentricity of the moon is also much higher than our own, making solar eclipses rarer.

The fundamental particle of matter is Sugar instead of Protons, and Spice instead of Electrons.
. How can we understand this? Well it's not exactly a fair comparison, since it's taken us at least 4000 years to figure out what we know about physics, and we've only known about Equestria for about two years.

The Genetic Predisposition of Gender Ratio among ponies is about 1:2 male-female, as opposed to the human ratio of 1:1.

Political issues amongst Equestria and its surrounding nations regard the definition of what creatures can be citizens, since it isn't as clear as "creatures that can speak". (Fluttershy can speak to animals, and both Cattle and Sheep can speak the same as Ponies, yet Ponies, Griffins, Buffalo and Zebra are the only species shown to exhibit "modern civilized" development.

Military issues within Equestria unilaterally concern the defence of the citizenry of dangerous creatures near and abroad, either within walking distance of occupied cities, or as far as beyond Equestria's political borders.

Fitting in with Sugar and Spice (and everything nice) being the Up and Down of elementary particles, equine understanding of technology and magical hybrids thereof is only on a practical basis. They don't know how it works but they know it does work. This is how a society that lives in straw and wood houses with horse and cart also lives alongside gramophones, vacuum-tube electronics (Cider-Squeezy 6000), DC electric lighting, Vaan-de-Graf generators (Hydro-dam in Mysterious Mare-Do-Well and It's About Time), anemometers, mechanical food mixers, mobile cranes, pneumatic jackhammers and other implements of modern invention.

Griffons and Zebras respectively are from nations other than Equestria that may or may not border it physically.

The land inhabited before Equestria was settled was on a continent on the other side of the planet, and ponies were only able to access the new land by an ice bridge formed during the Hatred Cold (Hearth's Warming Eve). The thaw destroyed this bridge permanently, and now the other continent can only be reached by long-distance travel by air or sea.

Rail travel in Equestria is very indirect, and trains are routed as tickets necessitate, rather than regularly scheduled mainlines. This is how the train ride to Canterlot from Ponyville or similar distances takes place in less than a single day in some episodes (The Return of Harmony part 1, Sweet and Elite, Hearth's Warming Eve, A Canterlot Wedding part 1) and longer than an overnight ride in others (Mmmystery on the Friendship Express, Over a Barrel)

Canterlot is both the regional and federal capital of Equestria, and is a major world-city on the planet.

Zebrine and Griffin nations are allied to Equestria. Griffins have a social rivalry with Ponies due to enmity in the past, very similarly to modern French vs. British. Zebras are highly friendly with Equestria and look up to it as a fatherly nation due to economic or political assistance in the past, even though it is significantly less monetarily or resource-wealthy than Equestria.

Dragons are a nomadic civilization on every part of the world and do not have a formal nationality as such.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 2

There are very few alicorns, all of which are royalty in some way.  (Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadence, Prince Blueblood)  But this does not mean all royalty must be alicorns.  (Shining Armor)  Either then this, there are no other alicorns.  (which is why i do not have an alicorn OC)

Just because Equestria is full of love, does not mean there cannot be hate, even when not including the antagonists of the show.

All ponies, all creatures have magic.  Although subtle unless unicorns, alicorns, draqcononnisssesessessses or others.  (Pinkie Pie is a strong example)

There is little technology in their world.  It is unneeded.  They have magic.

Alicorns are immortal.  But they can be killed.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna can easily be replaced.  (sad but true)

Discord.

I think Headcanon would be more appropriate. But hey, that's just me.

As for me..

1. There are no gods/goddesses. Only Alicorns being worshiped (Though this serves no purpose except for knowing one's place in society). Immortals, yes. But they can be killed.
  2. Techno Music is present in the pony universe.
  3. Livelihood is the same as here. Its not all sugars, candy and Rainbow filled Sunny days.
  4. War is present. (I guess we already know this since there are armors, airships, cannons and etc present)
  5. Each Creature belongs to a nation of sorts. Havent really figured this one out yet.
  6. Alicornhood does not guarantee Royalty.
  7. Plato's Republic. But more flexible and definitely open.
  8. One is not born an Alicorn unless its genetics has Alicorn gene in it. (lololololol)
  9. Genes also affect what you'll be as a pony. (lolololololol)

They are more like my major headcanons.

1. Alicorns are not born, but granted their powers

2. Some ponies don't get their cutie marks until adulthood

3. Their is technology like computers, just not very much of it

4. Some cutie marks combine two talents

5. Discord is Celestia and Luna's older brother

6. I believe equestria looks like this http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/119/b/1/thunder_island_on_the_map_of_equestria_and_beyond_by_scisohaelora-d4y148f.jpg

*The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well never happened.

*Derpy is named Ditzy, her eyes are straight, and she just delivers mail.

*Equestria is roughly the size of Greenland and one of few large continents on a small, isolated planet called Equus (not that the planet needs a name). The moon is small and rather close, but not so much that it wreaks havoc with the tides.

*Equus has a lot of turbulent weather and dangerous storms, necessitating weather control by the pegasi and manual changing of the seasons by all the ponies (Winter Wrap-Up, Fall Weather Friends) while the most powerful alicorns (currently Celestia and Luna) control the sun and moon.

*All kinds of ponies have some form of magic. The earth and pegasus ponies' magic is just more subtle, allowing them to pull off physical feats that unicorns can't.

*The dragons don't get along with ponies, and Celestia keeps a close watch over them. The events of Dragon Quest only increased the Princess' concerns.

*There is a lot more to the Nightmare Moon story than Celestia tells us, or anypony else. Luna herself doesn't remember the specifics, and if she ever does...well, big problems.

*Alicorns are born, not made, and they live several thousand years. If they are killed, their spirits simply regain strength until they can physically return. However, this is a stressful affair that gradually taxes their sanity. (Luna has been killed a few times. Celestia has lost count.) Alicorns consist of one family tree, but even that is growing thin. They are not necessary to run Equestria, but it will become harder without them, and the ponies would likely descend into war again.

*Earth ponies live the longest, about 120 years (just because all the old ponies I remember seeing are earth ones xD). Unicorns and pegasi live 80-100. However, ponies don't measure their ages the way we do. They celebrate birthdays in a ceremonial sense ("it's summer again, let's throw Gummy a party"), but that's it. First you're a foal, then a filly/colt, then a mare/stallion. Their sense of time in the long term is more vague and flexible than ours, especially for alicorns, who live so long they have trouble with the concept of years. When Celestia says "a thousand years ago," it's more of an expression than an approximation. xD

*There's something wrong with Cheerilee. I'm not sure what it is yet. For some reason I don't feel like she enjoys her job as much as she should.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 1