Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology What are your rules on the internet?

Reecejackox

#1 BE YOURSELF

That's the #1 rule for me. People think that just because they're behind a screen means they could type whatever. I call these people "keyboard warriors", but in reality, they're hiding behind a mask just wanting to look tough, when all they have to do is just be themselves. 

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

#1 BE YOURSELF

That's the #1 rule for me. People think that just because they're behind a screen means they could type whatever. I call these people "keyboard warriors", but in reality, they're hiding behind a mask just wanting to look tough, when all they have to do is just be themselves. 

That ALSO goes for people that are disingenuous and act like they are really friendly and super accepting, but really it's just a facade for approval to get others in their good social graces, to gain approval from people they don't actually care about but pretend to for likes, follows who know maybe even "brohoofs"... 

With that being said another good rule to pair with what you said is not to assume you know who anyone is on the other side of a screen bc you tried to make some type of psychological deduction based off a comment that made you uncomfortable or that you disagreed with, a lot of times people unintentionally come off a certain way because others imagine the things they are saying in context that isn't real or that wasn't their intention... You can't fit a personality to a single statement, you can't fit a personality to a book of statements as every person interacts with one another differently when it is direct communication.. we all perceive each other differently, don't assume you know the intentions of an individual or the message they are trying to convey, they may just be having a bad day...

• Brohoof 2

No picture of me anywhere on the internet. OK, there may be pictures taken by someone else where I am part of a crowd, but no picture that actually identifies me.

I do not post my real name anywhere public. Sure, some companies and people need to know it to send stuff to me etc, but there is no need to post it in public.

• Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, Reform Conundrum said:

That ALSO goes for people that are disingenuous and act like they are really friendly and super accepting, but really it's just a facade for approval to get others in their good social graces, to gain approval from people they don't actually care about but pretend to for likes, follows who know maybe even "brohoofs"... 

With that being said another good rule to pair with what you said is not to assume you know who anyone is on the other side of a screen bc you tried to make some type of psychological deduction based off a comment that made you uncomfortable or that you disagreed with, a lot of times people unintentionally come off a certain way because others imagine the things they are saying in context that isn't real or that wasn't their intention... You can't fit a personality to a single statement, you can't fit a personality to a book of statements as every person interacts with one another differently when it is direct communication.. we all perceive each other differently, don't assume you know the intentions of an individual or the message they are trying to convey, they may just be having a bad day...

Very strong rules established:fluttershy:  

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to What are your rules on the internet?

My privacy hasn't ever really been fully up to me because my mother is a public figure. Not loving with her anymore as an adult means I don't have people coming up to my own home all of the time, but it really wouldn't be that difficult to contact me.

I don't give out my address and contact info, buy I have my real name and pictures in some places. I really just try to limit my interactions I guess. Not much in terms of "rules".

• Brohoof 1

Like in real life nowadays, always think twice of what you are saying, in case you end up hurting someone. Internet has become more IRL than it was when I first dialed-up. You actually interact with real people more and more, especially when social media is a real thing.

Also, follow rules when I must. In case of my position, I have to obey the rules.

• Brohoof 4

some good rules on here! :) 

one rule that was recently illustrated for me is don't underestimate people online - you never know when a person who seems kinda iffy could turn out to be awesome in person :3 and you also never know when people will suddenly be incredibly kind to you on the net either.

Other than not giving out personal info I really don't have much rules i go by. it leads to people attacking my views on Twitter but i honestly don't care.

Aside from staying civil, one of my personal "netizen rules" is to ignore trolls and rude individuals. Report (when warranted), block, and move on as there are far more useful things to do with one's time than engaging in a never-ending "keyboard battle". Life is too short to be riled up over what some random person who doesn't even know you says. 

I also tend to keep my life on the private end when interacting online. I operate with the belief that "nothing truly goes away" once it has been shared on the interwebs. 

Last, I always like to familiarize myself with community guidelines when signing up on a platform/site. I like to not assume what the rules are as each community is different. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't give much personal info. I've only given my real (first) name and shared a picture of me on a forum I moderate, and only for the staff of that forum. Anything beyond that like my last name, address, phone number, etc. - not happening anywhere! I won't even talk about where I work, but there's more than that being personal info, but also the fact that I won't take it upon myself to represent my job.

Clearly I'm never silent about my religious or political views. Never have been. lol.

I just have to mention trolls and spammers.

There is quite a huge internet out there full of them. It is a mystery to me how you choose to become a spammer. But anyways, my rules don't apply to those two categories. If there is a troll, there is no way of hurting something that doesn't have feelings in the first place.... Except, the other people who read how you were acting towards trolls, and that's bad. So trolls are best ignored.

Keep interactions to 0% with trolls and scammers, and let the cleaning crew (that's me) kindly remove them.

I have on the internet since 1999 and I have gotten used to just ignore trolls, extremely stupid people, extreme far right and far left people, I don't respond to personal attacks, etc.

Also I use my real name online because I actually don't care what others think about me. I don't hold any extreme opinions or anything like that, I don't insult/troll people with whom I don't agree.

• 2 weeks later...

One rule for me, don't send me videos of destroyed furbies because that s**t makes me mad, stop ripping up collectibles because you think they're stupid :okiedokieloki:

I LIKE Furbies, I think they're creepy-cute! 

I mean, just look at this face :mlp_pinkie:

Red wolf furby.webp

Edited by Stellar Heights

• 2 weeks later...

Share nothing important - real name, address, SS number, except for online shopping. 

Be especially careful what you say (and don't worry about how, tone isn't expressed well over text), 'cause you'll find yourself the target of a massive harassment campaign in 5 fkin' seconds.

It's simple to me:

1. Be kind to others - it's the most basic thing everyone, in my opinion should follow. There are enough jerks and otherwise mean-minded people in the world, no need to add our names to the list of those :fluttershy:

2. Don't get too open in front of strangers - personal data is too important to spread it around. Keep it only for people You know well. 

3. Stay true to Yourself - don't be some fake conman. You waste not only time of other people who spend time with You, You waste Your own time as there's little happiness to be found when pretending to be someone You're not ;) 

Of course we can go into more details, but I prefer to keep it simple as all the details would fall under those 3 points anyway ;) 

• Brohoof 2

• No full identity pictures of myself, unless if it’s someone I know very well or if it’s just half or more of my face covered.  Don’t share anything personal about myself to avoid identity theft, bank theft, ects.

• Never ever get into an argument no matter how much I disagree with them. I used to do that a lot but now that I’m at my 30s and always fucking mentally tried- so arguing online isn’t healthy for my mindset and found it utterly useless. I gotten better to ignore it and move on. 

• Never click random links that I don’t know anything about. 

• 2 weeks later...

No personal info like email, physical address or phone number, and absolutely no photos. I have photos online that were not posted by me so I can’t control that. But I don’t post my own.

Also, I avoid conflict if I can. If I can’t have a civilized convo with someone I’d prefer to just walk away and drop the whole thing.

On 2022-10-01 at 9:12 PM, Lady Kiriness said:

I operate with the belief that "nothing truly goes away" once it has been shared on the interwebs. 

This, absolutely!

...Also, I like the word "Interwebs." :D

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m extremely shy And want to be usually asked before DMs. I have a habit of blocking people who randomly message me and I haven’t interacted enough with them in the group or server. And am shy about photos unless it’s my pets lol

im not big on swearing or taking the Lord’s name in vain. 

I can get passionate but feel overloaded trying to defend my points sometimes.  So sometimes I have to shut off Facebook posts that get overwhelming.

• 3 weeks later...

Get rid of as many channel recommendations on YouTube as possible, the ones that clearly are click baits. By removing those, new ones, smaller channels come into play, and some are caring and interesting