Rainbow Dash and the LGBT fan perception

Obsidian_Winter

If I mention what's already been mentioned, then it would just be an echo. Anything in regards to her gender preferences can only be speculation. Unless the writers take the leap with an episode that includes details about Rainbow Dash suddenly having a special somepony who is a mare. Or shows an actual romantic interest towards a mare. I'd applaud them if they did introduce a same sex couple in general somewhere. Not as a main focus or anything. Just added to the background of an already colourful cast.

Still it can be fun for the purposes of shipping. MLP certainly has built up an impressive armada for that. :P

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Not sure why everything needs to be about same sex couples.  Look no further than Lyra and Bon Bon. At least that's how it seems.

My God everyone.  My 4 year old watches this show.  Math, art, character building and science are more important than pushing something like this on prepubescent children.  And all she wants is Big Mac to marry Sugar Belle.  The show is about fun and bringing some of us adults back to fun childhood memories

Edited by Mongo
  • Brohoof 1

As was already mentioned she has a rainbow mane. she is a tomboy and an athlete and its pretty much a stereotype of a lesbian, its usually not true but its easier to point on her and use her character as a lesbian then the others(her character has interesting chemistry with the others, so it makes her interesting subject to writers to explore).

Of course canonically it was never really shown, dash was never shown to be interested in anyone, male or female. Of course there were moments which fans can interprate as they wish, like dashes reaction to pinkies song, dress in over a barrel or other moments with other characters like soaring and AJ and so on.   

(edited)
2 hours ago, Mongo said:

I thought she liked Soarin based on the show and few interactions with him?

Actually she never liked Soarin, it was only an opinion of us, not of the show nor had interactions with him. It ust a little friendship like she does with Spit

10 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Just because she's butch, doesn't mean she can't fall in love with a guy.

she is not either of them (I mean she's bisexual or gay).  I think that in my hypothesis she is lesbian. Shee only makes friends with a male and the females but doesn't mean that she is.

Edited by Van123

1 hour ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

If I mention what's already been mentioned, then it would just be an echo. Anything in regards to her gender preferences can only be speculation. Unless the writers take the leap with an episode that includes details about Rainbow Dash suddenly having a special somepony who is a mare. Or shows an actual romantic interest towards a mare. I'd applaud them if they did introduce a same sex couple in general somewhere. Not as a main focus or anything. Just added to the background of an already colourful cast.

Still it can be fun for the purposes of shipping. MLP certainly has built up an impressive armada for that. :P

Well, they will in "The Last Crusade" from what I've heard. :D

8 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Still not an excuse.

Why the hell does it matter to you? I see absolutely nothing wrong with rainbows being used to represent being gay.

Oh c'mon people, don't make this an issue with a kids show. Let it go, watch and laugh.  It's such a great Series and the best gen ever of MLP

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'd say that she is probably a lot closer to being lesbian than being bi, but I don't see her as being fully lesbian,
So I'd say mostly lesbian

but yeah, its rainbows and the fact that... well it took me a fortnight to know she was a girl

Edited by Sherbert MGS

It's not just RD. Some Bronies think everypony is gay. Those guys will violently ship AJ and Rarity cause reasons. Well, at least we didn't end up like RWBY or Voltron. At least not yet. It's a fate far worse than going Sanic.

I'm amused by the idea of all the other M6 ponies being gay and she's the only one who's straight.

But I see her as bi, honestly. She seems like she can go either way and it just depends on whoever's catching her fancy at the moment.  She has a very dynamic personality and gels easily with a bunch of different characters. Not hard to see why she's shipped so much both ways in the fandom.

Through the powers vested in me by the Glitter Lord Unicornia .... I pronounce this gay threads forever married

tenor.gif?itemid=8927616

Moving to Sugarcube and due to the sheer amount of times this comes up I will be linking this to several older posts which discusses the RD Gay debate in depth. 

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Rainbow Dash and the LGBT fan perception
(edited)
6 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

Why the hell does it matter to you? I see absolutely nothing wrong with rainbows being used to represent being gay.

That doesn't mean they have to represent LGBT all the time. Plus, people chose her to represent pride month.

Also.... how did my comments get to this topic? they were on Show Discussion before.

Edited by heavens-champion

8 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

That doesn't mean they have to represent LGBT all the time. Plus, people chose her to represent pride month.

Also.... how did my comments get to this topic? they were on Show Discussion before.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Through the powers vested in me by the Glitter Lord Unicornia .... I pronounce this gay threads forever married

tenor.gif?itemid=8927616

Moving to Sugarcube and due to the sheer amount of times this comes up I will be linking this to several older posts which discusses the RD Gay debate in depth. 

9 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

That doesn't mean it should matter. :dash:

7 hours ago, Mongo said:

Not sure why everything needs to be about same sex couples.  Look no further than Lyra and Bon Bon. At least that's how it seems.

My God everyone.  My 4 year old watches this show.  Math, art, character building and science are more important than pushing something like this on prepubescent children.  And all she wants is Big Mac to marry Sugar Belle.  The show is about fun and bringing some of us adults back to fun childhood memories

I am pretty certain your kid can handle seeing one same gender relationship. Especially since the show has already shown multiple other relationships, but a gay one is drawing the line? If a kid can handle seeing a "straight" relationship, they can handle seeing a gay one too.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Kyoshi said:

I am pretty certain your kid can handle seeing one same gender relationship. Especially since the show has already shown multiple other relationships, but a gay one is drawing the line? If a kid can handle seeing a "straight" relationship, they can handle seeing a gay one too.

I was about to say the same thing, but I decided it would likely not be worth my time to debate with these "but think of the children" types. :dry:

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Jeric moved and merged the topics, that's why.

Also, I never said they have to represent the LGBT movement ALL the time. I'm just asking what is wrong WITH them representing the movement.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8927616

Wow! Never thought I'd see a gif like that!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Jeric moved and merged the topics, that's why.

Also, I never said they have to represent the LGBT movement ALL the time. I'm just asking what is wrong WITH them representing the movement.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I just said rainbows don't have to represent them all the time.

Edited by heavens-champion

21 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Let me as a parent decide that.  Again, why is it a big deal to push this onto children under age 12?  I have no issues with it and you're clearly assuming something else of me.

Children should laugh at them, love them, take the ending lessons as good advice, and imagine more adventures with them however they want with their ponies scattered across the living room. 

This should not taint the foundation of such comedy and story telling.

11 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I just said rainbows don't have to represent them all the time.

But that is what you're implying with the fact you're even replying to this, no?

7 minutes ago, Mongo said:

Again, why is it a big deal to push this onto children under age 12?

They aren't pushing it onto children under the age of 12. People who solely focus on that will believe that though.

4 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

They aren't pushing it onto children under the age of 12. People who solely focus on that will believe that though.

My ties to LGBT are a lot closer than many think on here, and those who I am friends with in the community agree with my stance.  If this is some fantasy for those, that's why fanfics exist and DeviantArt.  And that is why my kid stays off my DeviantArt app being a toddler and all.