Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash and the LGBT fan perception

Obsidian_Winter

Canonically, no. At least, there hasn't been any definitive yes or no proof. This question has been up in the air since before I became a Brony, and I doubt it'll ever get answered (though I remember on a discussion of a YouTube video a couple years back some folks were talking about some show staff, I can't recall who, said FlutterDash was the most likely to become a pairing out of the mane six ships. Take that with a grain of salt).

Honestly, I would prefer if they left that unanswered. As much as I enjoy Flutterdash, having it open to interpretation is probably for the best. That way folks can have their headcanons, and Hasbro won't have to deal with the shitstorm of featuring a lesbian main character.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

If you slow it down to .25, their lips don't touch at all.

Yea, but a kiss is a kiss no less

Just now, GeekySonic said:

Canonically, no. At least, there hasn't been any definitive yes or no proof. This question has been up in the air since before I became a Brony, and I doubt it'll ever get answered (though I remember on a discussion of a YouTube video a couple years back some folks were talking about some show staff, I can't recall who, said FlutterDash was the most likely to become a pairing out of the mane six ships. Take that with a grain of salt).

Honestly, I would prefer if they left that unanswered. As much as I enjoy Flutterdash, having it open to interpretation is probably for the best. That way folks can have their headcanons, and Hasbro won't have to deal with the shitstorm of featuring a lesbian main character.

Yea, I always noticed Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash had a thing for each other

8 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

Exactly. If you looks at it frame-by-frame or even slowed down, their lips don't touch. The sound is supposed to come from Rainbow picking Fluttershy up.

• Brohoof 1

This is better left unanswered I guess. That way is open to interpretation, for example I wouldn´t really care if she´s lesbian,bisexual or anything else or not unless their giving her a romantic interest wich I don´t think they´ll do anytime soon

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Prospekt said:

Exactly. If you looks at it frame-by-frame or even slowed down, their lips don't touch. The sound is supposed to come from Rainbow picking Fluttershy up.

exactly, I had to look at it on 0.25 and noticed that they don't kiss

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

I paused it at 0.25 and RD is smiling with her mouth close to Fluttershy's nose and then her mouth closes very close to Futtershy's nose. To me it's pretty clear she kissed her on the nose. Maybe it was more for comfort and motivation, similar to a hug.. 

Just now, Colt 45 said:

I paused it at 0.25 and RD is smiling with her mouth close to Fluttershy's nose and then her mouth closes very close to Futtershy's nose. To me it's pretty clear she kissed her on the nose. Maybe it was more for comfort and motivation, similar to a hug.. 

You have a point but a kiss is a huge step up from a hug

It's pure fan speculation...and kind of a ugly one at that. The idea of RD being a lesbian is based entirely on gay stereotypes, both being that she's a tomboy and her color scheme being Rainbows.

I mean I'm not 100% against the idea of her being a lesbian, as I do like some lesbian ships with her(like FlutterDash and TwiDash), but the reality is there's not much basis, if any, that supports it

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

I still think that's an unusual sound effect choice either way.

How do you make that sound picking somepony up off the ground?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Windy Whistles said:

It's pure fan speculation...and kind of a ugly one at that. The idea of RD being a lesbian is based entirely on gay stereotypes, both being that she's a tomboy and her color scheme being Rainbows.

I mean I'm not 100% against the idea of her being a lesbian, as I do like some lesbian ships with her(like FlutterDash and TwiDash), but the reality is there's not much basis, if any, that supports it

I' not a fan of ships

Also the reason I believe she might be Lesbian has nothing to do with stereotypes(just saying).

It' more based on how she shows a bit more care for Fluttershy and how they have somewhat kissed

1 minute ago, donttellmum said:

how they have somewhat kissed

I just looked at that scene frame by frame. Their mouths don’t touch at all. And that sounds effect was, if it’s not obvious, edited in for the clip.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

So you try to kiss someone and you instead kiss their shadow... are you still kissing them?

It was a kiss, just not on the lips

10 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

As I have said, a kiss is a kiss, lips or not.

*googles*

kiss

1. verb; touch with the lips as a sign of love, sexual desire, reverence, or greeting.

2. noun; a touch with the lips in kissing.

And they did not rub noses in an “Eskimo kiss” or flutter their eyelashes on each other in a “butterfly kiss”. There was zero kiss here.

Edited by ShadOBabe

17 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I just looked at that scene frame by frame. Their mouths don’t touch at all. And that sounds effect was, if it’s not obvious, edited in for the clip.

Yeah, I'm sure it was edited.

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

Yea, but a kiss is a kiss no less

No, it is not. Take it from someone who was married and has kids ... a kiss is certainly not a kiss. 

2 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

Not sure what you guys mean by that but it was in the actual episode.

What I mean by that is, someone put the kissing sound effect in. In other words, it wasn't in the actual episode.

• Brohoof 2

Uuhhh.. It absolutely doesn't look like a kiss to me (took a look at 0.25 speed- there's a big nope), nor it absolutely doesn't sound like a kiss. It's a pretty much typical cartoon-sound effect used when characters are making a quick, yet small move, such as quickly pointing on something, raising hand, quickly moving eyes towards something etc.; here we see Fluttershy being picked up- that's what that SE was used for. In my opinion it's far away from a kissing sound- maybe if you'd take the kissing sound, increase its playing speed, then also increase the pitch, then it perhaps cooooould sound similar to what we hear in that fragment--- though it's still hard to imagine that doing the trick.. It makes me worried, that some people claim otherwise. I'm pretty sure they know the truth, but their desire to ship characters is too strong, so they're making a mountain out of a molehill. It certainly doesn't sound like this, the end.

Also it's not edited; the SE is legit, that's how it was in the show.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 6

• The topic was locked

Okay; here's the deal. I am reopening this thread, but there are a few things we need to keep in mind:

1. Please keep this on-topic.

2. Please be respectful of other members.

3. RP has it's place; it's not here!

That said, reopening.

• Brohoof 4

• The topic was unlocked