Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Long-Term Speculation: Scoot Will Join The Wonderbolts.

~Master~ Button Mash

After finally watching Sleepless in Ponyville, and given some thoughts I've been mulling over before, there's a conclusion I've come to, that the episode only worked to cement.

Now, it might be a bit early for little Scoot now (the rest of Season 3, maybe even longer), but in the long run, I believe Scoot will find her destiny with the Wonderbolts, with the help of Rainbow Dash teaching her how to be a great flier (even if RD's chances of becoming a Wonderbolt herself are slowly fading).

Here's my reasoning:

- She has a need for speed that we see everytime she uses her scooter.

- She idolizes Rainbow Dash and wants to emulate her, including her flying abilities (I have a feeling the final scene of SiP will play a major role in Scoot's development in the future). I'm sure that eventually RD will introduce her to the Wonderbolts.

- She, like the other members of the CMC, show an extreme amount of diligence in their quest to find their cutie marks, which could translate into the kind of discipline Scoot would need to become a Wonderbolt.

- There's fewer canonical obstacles to her becoming a Wonderbolt than Rainbow Dash (her role as the loyal element of harmony, her free spirit that might not be able to handle the discipline, being a Wonderbolt taking her away from the Mane 6, etc). The show is still, however, hinting that someone will join the Wonderbolts. If not RD (and barring any secondary characters next week), Scoot is the next logical candidate.

And call it cliche, but...

- It just feels right.

Thoughts?

Edited by Sky Nomad

I honestly hope she takes a different path, and doesn't continue idolizing Rainbow as goal.  I hope she goes and finds her own way, I guess I'd also like it if she couldn't fly so she could speed along on her scooter without really flying.  It just seems like the best fit for her anyways.

• Brohoof 4

I smell a fanfiction.

This does make sense, and I agree with it...to an extent.

I do agree with you about Scootaloo's "need-for-speed" and Rainbow Dash being a mentor will benefit her. However, I am kind of hesistant of the idea because of Scootaloo's undeveloped wings. I know it's probably just because she's young (Sweetie Belle has the same issue with her magic), but it still seems strange.

• Brohoof 1

I smell a fanfiction.

"Eeeyyyuuuppp" :) It's one of the ideas I have penned into my ideas notebook, along with a few others. Now I just need to get to righting them. O.o (FYI I didn't make this thread to spam my idea or anything, I actually do want to speculate on this).

I have a feeling that her and Sweetie Belle will grow into their features, I think it's just a matter of time and discipline. She might have to work doubly hard to compensate for a smaller set of wings, but I could still see her overcoming somehow. "If there's a will, there's a way."

Edited by Sky Nomad

I just don't see this happening.  Two or three other threads have discussed whether or not Scootaloo will even fly or not.  Lauren Faust's original charactarization was that Scootaloo is a handicapped pegasus with little or no flying ability.  Being unable to fly would teach her to adapt and find other ways to pursue her dreams.  Meghan and the current writing staff may choose to have Scootaloo fly someday, but I honestly don't see them taking Scoots from one extreme to the other like that. 

But if you want to write a fanfic about a flying Scootaloo, don't let this stop you. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 2

NO.

I hate hate hate it when people go and depict Scootaloo as the next Rainbow Dash when obviously, she isn't. It's like they completely ignore her awesomely amazing talent because she's a RD fangirl. The reason why she doesn't have a cutie mark is that she hasn't accepted her inability to fly, and hasn't stopped trying to emulate somepony else yet. She needs to learn to accept herself for who she is, and I think the bronies need to as well.

She's going to be a part of a pony stunt team one day. Perhaps she will have a motorcycle. But flight is not what she was built for. Growing up is about learning to stop being someone you're not. Scoots is not Rainbow Dash, she is Scootaloo.

Okay, I'm done with my rant~

• Brohoof 4

My personal theory is still that Scootaloo will be a professional dancer, mainly because she has already shown talant at it and it seems like one of the issues that the Crusaders have to confront before they get their Cutie Marks. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle also want to imitate their sisters, and Apple Bloom's preconceived notion that her talant will have something to do with Apples and Sweetie's fear of performing inhibit them from realizing their skills at construction and singing respectively. I think Scootaloo's issue is possibly that she thinks dancing is too girly.

I also agree that as amazing as Dashie is, it might be best for Scootaloo to have a dream all for herself. If she ended up joining the Wonderbolts then sure, I'd be happy for her but I think the healthiest thing to do is to admire others but have a distinct appreciation for what makes you special.

• Brohoof 2

While I love Rainbow Dash, I don't think Scootaloo would simply follow in her footsteps.  I'd kind of picture her venturing into extreme sports, but not flying.  Perhaps that scooter is a sign of things to come.  Maybe Scootaloo could be in the Pony X Games or something, I don't really know.   I think it's Dash's destiny to be in the Wonderbolts (how awesome would that be!), but who knows.  

• Brohoof 1

Interesting call, but Scootaloo's wings are dysfunctional at best. She has a disability that prevents her from flying, so unless Equestrian medicine is advanced enough to give her the ability to fly (at long last, from her perspective), joining the Wonderbolts would be one crazy dream.

She does have the potential of starting a biker club of the sort, though. Not a biker gang, of course! Her ability of handling the scooter is pretty much un-rivalled at this point. 

• Brohoof 1

Interesting call, but Scootaloo's wings are dysfunctional at best. She has a disability that prevents her from flying, so unless Equestrian medicine is advanced enough to give her the ability to fly (at long last, from her perspective), joining the Wonderbolts would be one crazy dream.

She does have the potential of starting a biker club of the sort, though. Not a biker gang, of course! Her ability of handling the scooter is pretty much un-rivalled at this point. 

She did lose her scooter when she was hanging by the branch into the waterfall, though, so her scootering days may be over (she could always buy a new scooter, but...) Read what Discord said about Scootaloo losing her scooter:

You know, I find it very visually representative that Scoots lost her scooter. By losing it and gaining Dashie as her official mentor and 'surrogate sister' who is now helping her to fly, this is her first step to be able to fly, meaning she won't need the scooter anymore.

I generally agree with this. There are chances later on in the show that Scoots could learn how to fly via Dash.

I don't actually think I want this to happen or I think it'll happen. Just because of the fact that scootaloo has actually been said I think before by Lauren faust as not having the ablity to fly for whatever reason.

I mean its possible the people running the show now may change that, but I honestly kinda like that about scootaloo. It makes for an interesting character :D.

Besides, its a long time before shes old enough for it.

med_gallery_175_80_134681.png

While she would look pretty dang awesome, and it would be nice to see her get that far.  I don't think that's the path she would take, I feel more that she would train with Rainbow dash and become a great flier just like her, but she'll put that flight to use in another form.  Not pursue the same dream, but she'll have one for sure.

• Brohoof 3

I kind of agree with the ideas floating around,

Everypony has a different meaning in life, emulating her idol won't get her closer to finding her true talent.

Dismissing the fact that if she does become a Wonderbolt, it certainly will not happen in the show's time.

However let's be honest here, Scootaloo is clearly not the best flyer, she is more of a stunt oriented pony, whilst she admires Rainbow Dash for flying skills, she mainly idolizes her for her bravery, fearlessness, and overall just being the tough pony she is. Therefore I believe her chances of joining the Wonderbolts are minor, and frankly, I believe what ever her special skill is, it won't involve heavy amounts of flying.

Edited by Marco23p ~ Ace Attorney
  • Brohoof 1

It's a definite possibility if Scootaloo's wings ever start working properly, but personally I hope it doesn't happen unless Dash joins the Wonderbolts herself first. Otherwise it makes her life a failure in a way, that she was never able to achieve her dream except vicariously by mentoring Scootaloo into it. I think she'd regret it when she's old.

I love all these discussions going on :) Sleepless in Ponyville really did bring both of their futures into question.

I've been a Flutterdash shipper for the longest time, but between recent events in the show, and a couple other current threads which point out that they may not have interacted much between the time of the first sonic rainboom and the beginning of the series, I'm starting to question that. Particularly if both Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash do end up as Wonderbolts a few years from now, I think some full on Scootadash romance could be in order. Especially if Scootaloo is the one to push Dash to not give up her dream. And of course Scootaloo is eternally indebted to Dash for mentoring her. I think they could have quite a deep relationship... and an entertaining dynamic, that they're both in love with Rainbow Dash :lol:

At least from what we've seen, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash do share a love of speed and stunts. So I don't think Scootaloo's obsession is entirely childish, but rather a legitimate bond over common interests. So, I disagree with those who say she needs to quit emulating and be her own pony. She is being herself, and that's why they get along so well. That does bring into question why she hasn't gotten her cutie mark yet, but maybe her destiny has to do with flight and it just won't show up until either her wings grow to full size, or she gets herself off the ground by technique (hopefully taught by Rainbow Dash) and sheer determination.

It would be quite sad if it does turn out that Scootaloo is fully disabled and will never fly on her own. I think things would turn out quite differently then, with Dash only being able to be an emotional support for her, but not so much a teacher of physical skills, which is what brought them together in the first place. Scootaloo would probably still do stunts on her scooter, but I don't think that would lead to such a close relationship between the two of them... sort of like how Tank ended up.

But I agree with Chaotic Discord, that the scooter being lost to the river was symbolic. And in that case, it's pretty much guaranteed that she will fly. And how awesome would it be if she even gets fast enough to do a sonic rainboom? DOUBLE RAINBOW!

• Brohoof 1

She did lose her scooter when she was hanging by the branch into the waterfall, though, so her scootering days may be over (she could always buy a new scooter, but...) Read what Discord said about Scootaloo losing her scooter:

It's a cartoon, Scootaloo wouldn't lose her scooter. Flight isn't what she is destined for, and I like her that way. Learning to get along in life with a disability is something not a whole lot of other cartoons really get into.

Now THAT would be a good fanfiction!

It's a cartoon, Scootaloo wouldn't lose her scooter. Flight isn't what she is destined for, and I like her that way. Learning to get along in life with a disability is something not a whole lot of other cartoons really get into.

Now THAT would be a good fanfiction!

I might have to agree with you here. I may be a newbie to the series, but this seems like it's set up for one of those standard "person(pony) x is bad at y or is impeded from achieving or being good at y,  endures rigorous training and/or overcomes impossible odds, achieves y" kind of plot-lines. I'm not a fan of that kind of cheesy stuff (and I see it nearly everywhere) , so I'm inclined to agree that Scootaloo should stay the pony she is, in a manner of speaking.

Ok when in the show has Scootaloo ever said that she wanted to fly? So fare Scoots has shown zero signs of wanting to fly and has never said, "I want to fly." If anything I like that she can't fly. (Only real thing I like about her)

If anything, Pound Cake has better chance of becoming a Wonderblot.

I expect Scootaloo to be a ponified Evel Knievel, and find her true talent as some sort of extreme sports player. Perhaps a Pony X Games? Wait, I think that idea is floating around here somewhere.

Scootaloo doesn't seem like a pony who wants to be a champion at flying, but more at riding a motorcycle of a sort, pleasing the crowds. She can use her improved wing power, taught by Rainbow Dash, to further improve her stunts.

Just imagine a motorcycle cutie mark. Ohhhhh.

One day, under Rainbow Dash's tutelage, she may become capable of flight. However, I don't think she's ever going to be Wonderbolts material. There's always the possibility that she'll become the Forrest Gump of MLP but I don't see it happening. I believe that with sufficient effort one can develop any talent, but there are limits when physical disabilities are involved. Lauren even said she was disabled. Scootaloo's wings may strengthen to the point that she may be able to hover or clear short buildings but fast, sustained flight is implausible. Besides, she's never even seemed interested in flying any more than Sweetie Belle is interested in magic, only being "cool" according to RD's definition of the word and gaining in her a sisterly friend.

Scootaloo losing her scooter isn't symbolic of anything, I don't believe. We may see otherwise a few episodes later, but at the moment I'll go with no. To me it just looks like a convenient accident that gave her an opportunity for a bonding moment with Rainbow Dash. Before long we'll see her with another scooter that'll probably be identical. Who knows, she might have ditched the scooter even if she still had it so she could soar about with Rainbow. Everyone else's name is in some way related to their talent and cutie mark and I'm sure Scootaloo is no different.

Her time with Rainbow Dash may teach her that she really doesn't want to be anything like RD, and help her to realize the talent she's always overlooked partially because of her idolizing another pony's abilities.

One day, under Rainbow Dash's tutelage, she may become capable of flight. However, I don't think she's ever going to be Wonderbolts material. There's always the possibility that she'll become the Forrest Gump of MLP but I don't see it happening. I believe that with sufficient effort one can develop any talent, but there are limits when physical disabilities are involved. Lauren even said she was disabled. Scootaloo's wings may strengthen to the point that she may be able to hover or clear short buildings but fast, sustained flight is implausible. Besides, she's never even seemed interested in flying any more than Sweetie Belle is interested in magic, only being "cool" according to RD's definition of the word and gaining in her a sisterly friend.

Scootaloo losing her scooter isn't symbolic of anything, I don't believe. We may see otherwise a few episodes later, but at the moment I'll go with no. To me it just looks like a convenient accident that gave her an opportunity for a bonding moment with Rainbow Dash. Before long we'll see her with another scooter that'll probably be identical. Who knows, she might have ditched the scooter even if she still had it so she could soar about with Rainbow. Everyone else's name is in some way related to their talent and cutie mark and I'm sure Scootaloo is no different.

Her time with Rainbow Dash may teach her that she really doesn't want to be anything like RD, and help her to realize the talent she's always overlooked partially because of her idolizing another pony's abilities.

I think the scooter is symbolic, though not necessarily of her not being able to fly. As I see it, that Scooter was likely Scootaloo's most treasured possession, and was probably a source of comfort for her not having a family. When she lost this most important possession, she was able to replace it with something else, in the form of a big sister in Rainbow Dash. Sure, we'll likely see another scooter, but I think losing this one in such close proximity to the events with Rainbow Dash was symbolic in my opinion.

I thought the scooter was lost after her first crash, but it still came back...to be lost over the waterfall.

If I were to go really crazy with some lines from "The Show Stoppers", I'd say Scootaloo is destined for something land-based, but which can still use her wings for some creative propulsion - like dancing or acrobatics or similar.

I doubt it since scootaloo cant even fly and is apparently disabled plus isnt this pegasus going to be in the wonderbolt academy episode??

post-9988-0-15454400-1355327088_thumb.png

Its more likely going to be her if anypony that ends up joining the wonderbolts. As much as I want RD to join I don't think she will because she wouldn't be able to be in the mane 6 any more. 

In my addled imaginings, in five or six years the NEXT series will start. Scootaloo will be the leader of the Wonderbolts in the show "My Little Pony: Friendship Crusaders"! My favorite episode is going to be the one where Scoot performs the first faster than light Rainboom! She'll succeed when Miss Rarity of Rarity Creations comes up with a protective garment that gives her full wing movement, and Professor Sparkle conjures up a life support spell. Spike the Mighty Dragon will carry her into the upper atmosphere and release her, much like they did with launching the Bell X 1 from a B-29 when Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. Far from being jealous, Rainbow Dash will be extremely proud of her star pupil and adopted little sister's record breaking achievement!  

(I think I've given the question a little too much though!)

• Brohoof 1