Vinyl Scratch

58 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This episode made me go OMG!! I actually liked Derpy's voice and I think it's epic that they called her Derpy. I wanted to see a bit more AJ, but I loooooooved Pinkie in this episode! In my head, she is now the big guns :)

the derpy nod was epic, no doubts about it. the episode was pretty darned good until the 5 get to dodge junction (nod to dodge city kansas of wild west fame for "boot hill" where dead outlaws were burried with their boots as headmarkers.) and they find applejack, who when asked why said she figured cherries would be a nice change of scenery, bold faced lie... obvious cue for wisdom/loyalty speech from either RD or twi, and neither puts her on the spot as detectably off character... so it's a kid's show and a half lie, i'm cool with that so that the episode lasts more than 5 minutes. but then AJ squelches out on her promise to explain herself, promising to tell at breakfast is a promise to BOTH tell AND attend, blatant BOLD. FACED. LIE. from the element of honesty?!?! kind of disappointed in the writers on that note.

don't get me wrong it was a brilliant episode, but being as strict as i am about honesty i hate to see AJ portrayed this way.

I too was a little disappointed in Applejack for lieing like that. She is supposed to be the most honest, and yet she hid from her problem and lied to her closest friends and her family. I'm ashamed to admit I've done the same thing, and feel completely ashamed of it. Never again will I lie to those who are most important to me.

I'm not sure what was funnier...

Peoples super-spamming when Rainbow Dash said Derpy or the people's rape jokes when Ronald McDonald came on screen! :D

Happy Derpy Day Everypony!

Wow! Overreaction, much? (The chat room I mean.)

Also, go to 24:18 The Chat just got filled about Pinkie's Rage. XD

Edited by TwilightRubix
  • Brohoof 2

Wow! Overreaction, much? (The chat room I mean.)

Also, go to 24:18 The Chat just got filled about Pinkie's Rage. XD

lol, the one comment that i noticed was "cupcake time! lets gooo!!!!!" roflmao!!!

Now that I am more awake and alert, I'll post my more in-depth opinion of the episode.

As soon as everypony started building up how Applejack was going to win first place at the rodeo, I knew she wouldn't. Mostly because, well, every episode needs to have a "problem" and it seemed pretty obvious that would be it. I liked seeing Applejack's faults shown, and they didn't go over-the-top with it.

Pinkie Pie's annoyingness being weaponized gave me a laugh. Chimicherry or cherrichanga?

And Derpy. How they did Derpy makes me happy. Not only the fact they used the fanon name (more on that in a moment) but the voice they gave her. They didn't go overboard, and give her the stereotype "crazy character" voice and personality, but rather went for the "bumbling but means well" type. As for the name, while Derpy Hooves is a nice name, the "Hooves" part kinda makes it.. weird somehow. They never actually mentioned "Hooves", but in my opinion, I think it would be better Derpy Hooves and Ditzy Doo met half-way, and became Derpy Doo.

In the future, I'd like to see more of the fan-favorite background ponies get a "moment" like Derpy.

Also, kumquat.

They never actually mentioned "Hooves", but in my opinion, I think it would be better Derpy Hooves and Ditzy Doo met half-way, and became Derpy Doo.

In the future, I'd like to see more of the fan-favorite background ponies get a "moment" like Derpy.

come to think of it, the way RD said "derpy" was more akin to a nickname i think, like her actual name could easily remain ditzy doo but she is called derpy sometimes... like a guy i used to know was normally called bill but often was just a mopey ass and so earned the nickname mopey ass, ditzy is derpy, bill is mopey, it fits.

Defnitely one of the best episodes this season :P I like the way that they used the mane 6's characterization and personalities to each play their individual roles in the interrogation of AJ. And Pinkie was well... VERY pinkie-ish, which always adds to the fun xD Also with the whole Derpy scene, what more could you ask for!?

Although we are not talking about Episode 13, are we? I_I

Nope. For discussion of episode thirteen, please see this thread instead.

Please take care to make your posts in the appropriate places. ;)

I watched this episode for the first time at a screening with many other people, about twenty or so altogether, on a large hundred inch projector screen with a wonderful sound system.

Easily one of my favorite episodes of all time, even if it didn't contain anything I had hoped it might. From the solid writing to the ways in which each of the Mane Six had their own little moments here and there, to of course the sudden and amazing surprise that we fans of the show have had a significant influence on it because DERPY IS NOW CANON AND SPEAKS, it was incredible.

I did notice some amusing(beyond the jokes that were supposed to be laughed at) tidbits, like how Mayor Mare kept her eyes firmly affixed to Applejack's flank throughout much of the speech, or how Rainbow Dash seemed a bit too excited to have finally caught Applejack. I actually have a screenshot of that last moment, courtesy of someone from another forum:

Posted Image

Fluttershy had the best line in this episode,something about the hole in their hearts.

I wouldn't agree with that. The line was rather cheesy. I mean, I still enjoyed it in the moment, and it made sense for her to say it, but cheese dripped off that line in such a quantity that I fear I might have developed hypertension.
  • Brohoof 3

I could feel a disturbance in the internet fabric of the universe at "Careful, Derpy." And to please everypony, they could technically pull a Fallout: Equestria and have Ditzy be her name and Derpy be an affectionate nickname. Well played Studio B

• Brohoof 1

For those complaining that AJ wasn't being honest, I think that if Rarity has episodes where she goes against her own element, then the other ponies should have those kinds of episodes, too.

This episode is one of my favorite season 2 episodes, definitely. Derpy being canon is awesome, and overall it was a very solid episode.